Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo travelling experiences and opinions

• 02-12-2018 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I’m out of a traumatic relationship, about 2 months now. I’ve a desperate urge to just go sight seeing. I’m back living in my parents home so I’m finally able to live a life that’s financially stress free as ex fiancé just made it difficult to live with money, from lying to stealing and loads more in between that. One friend has a baby who I adore, both friend and baby. Another friend has started a new relationship and is thriving in work and I can’t be any more excited for her as she deserves all the happiness in her life and another friend is going threw a really hard time and doesn’t want to share any enthusiasm of visiting or travelling places. Understandable as I suffer with depression and anxiety and I can truly understand why she doesn’t want to experience anything. I’ve friends in work who have their own families and/or just don’t want to experience anything beside work and the pub. I’ve other friends in work who I wouldn’t see outside work, there’s no particular reasoning for it, I just see them in work. That’s fine. I’m more than happy for everyone having their own ways in life.

Me however. I’m done waiting for people to make up their minds. For years I’ve suffered with emotional and mental abuse from all walks of life. Although my family and friends have been a tremendous support through all of my experiences in life, I’m done with my depression and anxiety. I’m done with feeling rubbish. I’m done with anxiety and depression telling me what way to live my life. I want to make life for myself. After a frightening few months and almost being admitted to a hospital, countless appointments and trail and error with medication, I spent some time alone today. I went into town and treated myself and met with a friend and spent some time with family, and realise that there are places I want to see. There are places I want to explore. I enjoyed having my earphones on and walking around with the world around me. Just taking things at my own pace instead of rushing around. I’ve asked countless of people to come away with me. Between friends and previous relationships and there was always reasonings and excuses as to why they couldn’t go to places with me, both near and far. I would love to visit places and it would be nice to have someone to go with me but I can’t sit around either and wait for someone to agree. I would love to have the experience to explore different things with people but I find anyone I ask, always has a reason for why they can’t or don’t want to go (that’s absolutely fine too). The places I want to visit might not be people’s cup of tea but I can’t sit around and wait until someone agrees with me. Then there’s the planning and arrangements.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m best of going on my own. I would rather go on my own. Anywhere really. From a day trip to a weekend away, even something simple as a Spa weekend to a day trip somewhere.

I’ve heard of solo travellers and I would love to hear experiences from people who have travelled on their own. It can be a short holiday or a long time away. I would love to hear what people think of this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭monty_python

I'm not a lady but i also suffer from anxiety and depression.
    I've done Solo travel and loved it. South east aisa is the easy option and there is some "off the beaten track" places you can go
    Quit your job and go for it. You'll be glad you did when you return
    1000 per month is enough if you really budget. 2000 is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭t1h9mgqsxopj0r

I'm not a lady but i also suffer from anxiety and depression.
    I've done Solo travel and loved it. South east aisa is the easy option and there is some "off the beaten track" places you can go
    Quit your job and go for it. You'll be glad you did when you return
    1000 per month is enough if you really budget. 2000 is better

I don’t plan on doing the whole, quit the job and travel situation haha. Granted it would be great. It’s more of a weekend away to different places. Like a romantic getaway, without the romance or partner haha. I’ve always wanted to take a weekend away somewhere. The country or England or even Spain for a few days. On my own with a book and music and just take in the sights myself and do things at my own pace. Ive seen couples who go away and it’s all lovely but seeing as there’s no point in sitting around and waiting for something to happen, I might as well do it myself. I was wondering if there was other people who have experienced this. I’ve asked people if they fancied coming with me and I get the “Nah sorry can’t” or “be a bit weird going away for a weekend to somewhere an hour away”. Something along those lines and I thought, I might as well just go on my own and try and enjoy my own company for once instead of relying on other people. I love hearing about experiences and what people have thought about it

I don’t plan on doing the whole, quit the job and travel situation haha. Granted it would be great. It’s more of a weekend away to different places. Like a romantic getaway, without the romance or partner haha. I’ve always wanted to take a weekend away somewhere. The country or England or even Spain for a few days. On my own with a book and music and just take in the sights myself and do things at my own pace. Ive seen couples who go away and it’s all lovely but seeing as there’s no point in sitting around and waiting for something to happen, I might as well do it myself. I was wondering if there was other people who have experienced this. I’ve asked people if they fancied coming with me and I get the “Nah sorry can’t” or “be a bit weird going away for a weekend to somewhere an hour away”. Something along those lines and I thought, I might as well just go on my own and try and enjoy my own company for once instead of relying on other people. I love hearing about experiences and what people have thought about it

Do it. You'll love it. I went to London 2 weeks ago, only for 24hrs and it was great craic. 24euro return on Skyscanner

Do it. You'll love it. I went to London 2 weeks ago, only for 24hrs and it was great craic. 24euro return on Skyscanner

Jesus, €24! That’s bloody brilliant. I would probably spend that on ****e anyways so might as well get myself a flight somewhere for a night. Sorted. Thank you :)

Jesus, €24! That’s bloody brilliant. I would probably spend that on ****e anyways so might as well get myself a flight somewhere for a night. Sorted. Thank you :)

Download the Skyscanner app. Put in Dublin or cork as you departure and "everywhere" then you get bargains
    Nearly always UK but how bad

• Advertisement

Download the Skyscanner app. Put in Dublin or cork as you departure and "everywhere" then you get bargains
    Nearly always UK but how bad

You’ve read my mind. Currently on the app now just have a little nosey on what’s available. I might look into officially booking after Xmas as prices might drop a little bit but I’m getting the idea of the app. Does it include the hotel or is that separate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've done lots of London trips and other city breaks alone.

But the best trip I've done so far was 5 nights in Vigo in North West Spain. It's a perfect city to visit alone. Accommodation is cheap, food and drink is cheap and amazing and lots to do in the city and within an hour on the train.

Does it include the hotel or is that separate?

Hotel is separate,. You could try couch surfing app. I've not had any luck with it but I always tried it at the last minute. Maybe try it 2 or 3 days before you fly out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I did a fortnight in Cuba solo earlier this year and am heading to Krakow solo on Wednesday. Thought I'd be lonely but I wasn't in the slightest. It was fantastic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 47 CALI

I did a three week group trip in south east Asia a few months ago. All organised for you. G Adventures. Couldn’t have had a better group of people-9 of the 15 of us were solo travellers, everyone got on so well. And a brilliant tour guide who we just followed! Amazing trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I just got back from a 2 week solo trek through Spain, Portugal and Morocco. I love traveling solo and I think if you have the means, you should try it. I'd hate to be the person who missed out on experiences only because they didn't have anyone else to share them with. Go have fun and make new travel friends!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I did a fortnight in Cuba solo earlier this year and am heading to Krakow solo on Wednesday. Thought I'd be lonely but I wasn't in the slightest. It was fantastic.

Might be too late now but try the Pod Wawelem restaurant by the Castle

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g274772-d1009022-Reviews-Pod_Wawelem-Krakow_Lesser_Poland_Province_Southern_Poland.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Thanks but it's been a bit crap here. Locals seem to be rude and most restaurants keep saying they're booking only. Just can't wait to get home to be honest.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks but it's been a bit crap here. Locals seem to be rude and most restaurants keep saying they're booking only. Just can't wait to get home to be honest.

Oh no, hope you're OK!

Caranica wrote: »
    Oh no, hope you're OK!

Home safe. Thanks though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Do it OP. I go on holidays regularly on my own, largely for the same reasons as you... most of my friends are in long term relationships / married / have kids and are unavailable to go.

I've done the weekend away, to the three weeks away. Go somewhere you are interested in, and that you can afford. City breaks are good as there is always something to do. London, Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam etc. Plenty to see and do. You can do things at your own pace and you don't have to compromise. If there is something you want to go and see in a museum you don't have to compromise with a friend who doesn't want to go there. That's a great benefit. Get some comfortable accommodation and enjoy the time to put your feet up the in the evening and read a book, or whatever you're into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I think it's important to note the differences between introverts and extroverts when talking about solo travelling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

JJayoo wrote: »
    I think it's important to note the differences between introverts and extroverts when talking about solo travelling

Why? Solo travel can suit anyone, largely because they are suiting themselves. You can choose to interact with people as much or as little as you want when you travel alone, and you can choose your activities accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Why? Solo travel can suit anyone, largely because they are suiting themselves. You can choose to interact with people as much or as little as you want when you travel alone, and you can choose your activities accordingly.

It's more for when people are giving a review of their previous solo adventures. An introvert and and extrovert may have very different experiences on the same kind of holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,661 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I often travel alone with work and must say there’s a lot of places I’d go that I’d hate to be a female.
    Usually I’ll have a meal and a drink or two in the hotel bar. The only single women in the hotel bars are generally working girls ( not my thing)

As females who travel alone do you find you avoid such places in case you get mistaken as a working girl ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

ted1 wrote: »
    I often travel alone with work and must say there’s a lot of places I’d go that I’d hate to be a female.
    Usually I’ll have a meal and a drink or two in the hotel bar. The only single women in the hotel bars are generally working girls ( not my thing)

As females who travel alone do you find you avoid such places in case you get mistaken as a working girl ?

I've traveled extensively by myself and have easily had hundreds of meals in restaurants on my own. I've also gone to clubs/bars on my own. Never once have I been mistaken for a working girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

ted1 wrote: »

I've never even thought about to be honest till you mentioned it now!

But thinking back was in Gatwick once, having dinner when a sleazy sales rep type sat at my table without being invited. He had a silly kind of grin on him as if he was not sure if what to say next.

I was fuming at the cheek of him just plonking down so just glared at him and said "sit at yer own table" and he scurried off.

Thinking now he must have thought I was a working girl. It's even funnier now thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

I've travelled the world solo and I recommend it 150%. You are entirely free to suit yourself, come and go as you please and travel to the beat of your own drum - quite literally. However, even I as an extrovert can find it lonely. Be sure to mind yourself before you think you need to, take time to do what you LOVE to do regardless of location. Back yourself, always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I'd recommend a group, be it intrepid, g adventures, exodus or explore.

You can take part in as many or as little of the group activities.

I've been on many of these trips, the most recent of which was a cycling trip in north cyorus, which was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Best thing ever solo travel. No disagreements or falling out wih people and you get to do and see what you want. I started solo travellig when all my friends started to settle down and still do it a bit as my otherhalf doesnt like flying. To start off id recommend group tours with the likes of g adventure and interpid until you get use to it. They organise everything for you. Plus you get to met people from.all over the world. You even may become good friends with them and end up visiting them in their home cities

Advertisement