Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2019, 12:40   #1
Kaleb2015

Ex Landlord charging new tenant more than 4% extra rent pressure zone.

My ex landlord gave us notice when our part 4 tenancy ended last June. He told us he wasn’t renting it out again and was using it for family reasons. He did give the proper notice that just said he was entitled to end it and didn’t give a reason. We checked that out at the time and that was all legal. I said to my wife at the time that because we where paying €950 a month and in a rent pressure zone he wanted us out so he could charge the next tenant more. Well I just seen that he listed it on daft for €1350 a month. I know by law he can only charge 4% more than what we where paying for the new tenant and should disclose what we where paying by law but do we have any comeback the fact he verbally told us it was for family use? Anyone been in a similar situation? He was a nasty piece of work so I don’t want anyone to go through what we did so I want the new tenant to know. We were paying €800 when we moved in. Boiler broke and he upped our rent. Things he fixed always ended up being added to our rent.
Advertisement
13-01-2019, 12:42   #2

You’ve no comeback, tenancy was ended legally.

The information could be useful to the current tenant though.
Thanks from:
13-01-2019, 12:49   #3
Evd-Burner

I assume it was because a part 4 tenancy ended normally with no reason given?
13-01-2019, 12:56   #4
Baby01032012

I don’t think ex tenant is looking for comeback.

OP you can report landlord to RTB or call over when new tenant is in and have a word and let them deal with landlord or RTB.

If tenant finds out and reports to rtb they could be entitled to refund of any rent above the 4% limit and landlord could face a fine.

I’m a landlord but if I was the ex tenant I know what I’d do.
Thanks from:
13-01-2019, 13:06   #5
Samuel T. Cogley

He may have been a nasty piece of work but if he can legally increase the rent due to an increased cost and maintain occupancy then that's just good business sense.
Advertisement
13-01-2019, 13:12   #6
Baby01032012

Sam, nothing suggests it was done legally. If increasing above 4% for new tenancy with no evidence of substantial refurbishment.

There is no condoning this. He is a chancer not a landlord.
13-01-2019, 13:16   #7
UpTheSlashers

Was the tenancy ended on the grounds of the dwelling being required for family use?
13-01-2019, 13:19   #8
Grumpypants

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcalester View Post
You’ve no comeback, tenancy was ended legally.

The information could be useful to the current tenant though.
It wasn't, it was ended to give to a family member. He can't then up the rent by 40% and move someone else in.
13-01-2019, 13:32   #9
tomfoolery60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb2015 View Post
My ex landlord gave us notice when our part 4 tenancy ended last June. He told us he wasn’t renting it out again and was using it for family reasons. He did give the proper notice that just said he was entitled to end it and didn’t give a reason. We checked that out at the time and that was all legal. I said to my wife at the time that because we where paying €950 a month and in a rent pressure zone he wanted us out so he could charge the next tenant more. Well I just seen that he listed it on daft for €1350 a month. I know by law he can only charge 4% more than what we where paying for the new tenant and should disclose what we where paying by law but do we have any comeback the fact he verbally told us it was for family use? Anyone been in a similar situation? He was a nasty piece of work so I don’t want anyone to go through what we did so I want the new tenant to know. We were paying €800 when we moved in. Boiler broke and he upped our rent. Things he fixed always ended up being added to our rent.

This article has some useful information: https://www.dublininquirer.com/2018/...-rent-increase

The onous is on the new tenants to take a case. However you can always write to the new tenants and tell them that your rent was €x p.m and under the legistlation the 4% etc. They could then take a case if they wish.
Advertisement
13-01-2019, 13:34   #10
Mike3549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypants View Post
It wasn't, it was ended to give to a family member. He can't then up the rent by 40% and move someone else in.
Explain the "ended" part.
Was the tenancy terminated for family member, o was it that your 4 year cycle ended?
When did your tenancy start?
Thanks from:
13-01-2019, 14:09   #11
Samuel T. Cogley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby01032012 View Post
Sam, nothing suggests it was done legally. If increasing above 4% for new tenancy with no evidence of substantial refurbishment.

There is no condoning this. He is a chancer not a landlord.

No one is condoning the RPZ increase, but raising the rent to cover maintenance prior to the RPZ is perfectly acceptable.
Thanks from:
13-01-2019, 14:12   #12
Kaleb2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike3549 View Post
Explain the "ended" part.
Was the tenancy terminated for family member, o was it that your 4 year cycle ended?
When did your tenancy start?
He ended it because it came to the end of our part four tenancy but just put on the notice that he was entitled to end it and nothing else explaining why. It was in person that he said he needed it for family use. I don't really want a comeback or anything, its more so i dont want to see him rip off anyone else. I know the most he can charge this new tenant is €988.
13-01-2019, 14:50   #13
Mike3549

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleb2015 View Post
He ended it because it came to the end of our part four tenancy but just put on the notice that he was entitled to end it and nothing else explaining why. It was in person that he said he needed it for family use. I don't really want a comeback or anything, its more so i dont want to see him rip off anyone else. I know the most he can charge this new tenant is €988.
Yeah looks like he doesnt need a reason to end this. The only thing you can do is tell this to new tenants and it will be up to them what they want to do. Dont forget that sometimes landlord can increase the rent by more than 4% based on some factors
13-01-2019, 14:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypants View Post
The landlord can end the tenancy at the end of a part 4 cycle for any or no reason, OP has confirmed this is the case here.

Agreed about the 40% increase but it’s not the OP who is being wronged here.

Last edited by amcalester; 14-01-2019 at 07:39.
(2) thanks from:
14-01-2019, 04:00   #15
overkill602

A LL does not need to give a reason to end a part4 legally as stated by the op so no reason had to be given there where rules applied to its application and extended notice periods to make it more difficult for LLs to execute.

Where renovations take place that require vacant procession typically after 10 years depending on the type of property the rents can be increased, no record of this being challenged to date despite many vexatious claims of laws broken.

You got the benefits sitting tenant where rewarded from the emergency legislation the dogs on the street knew with extra taxes already screwing LLs to mention 1 ie (when you move in there was no LPT)this party would end when part 4 would expire, LLs told on here to suck it up what business can survive extra charges now you are at the other end of rent controls wrath suck it up and get on with your life.

Last edited by overkill602; 14-01-2019 at 04:40.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion