Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness is a good drop.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Used to be pretty much the only pint I would drink it but it has been giving me horrific hangovers after 4 or 5 pints lately so I've pretty much given it up. They must have changed the recipe or something because I've heard a lot of people say the same.

Thought you'd have been a Martini man yourself , ya know shaken not stirred.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I must have sampled close to 100 different stouts and porters over the last few years, some flavored with chocolate, or vanilla, or chilli, or cherries, some aged in whiskey or bourbon barrels, some of them smoked, some even fermented with wild yeasts. Of course some taste better than others.

I'd still happily drink Guinness, Beamish or Murphy's on a night out though. Always great craic when you find a bar that sells all three of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I must have sampled close to 100 different stouts and porters over the last few years, some flavored with chocolate, or vanilla, or chilli, or cherries, some aged in whiskey or bourbon barrels, some of them smoked, some even fermented with wild yeasts. Of course some taste better than others.

I'd still happily drink Guinness, Beamish or Murphy's on a night out though. Always great craic when you find a bar that sells all three of them!

And this , ladies and gentlemen , is one of the main criteria to become a Mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Good man..I prefer O'Hara's...is that ok with you?
    #diageo4eva !

You're an absolute embarrassment with that hashtag and are just making true all the stereotypes aimed at the craft brigade. Careful not to buy off 'the man' maaaaaan.

At least you said you prefer it yourself this time at least rather than it being "far superior". That's a fair rein in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And this , ladies and gentlemen , is one of the main criteria to become a Mod.

Diplomatic, with a hint of alcoholism? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I'm a Heineken drinker but being the day that's in it I went on the black stuff yesterday and it was surprisingly nice. Such an easy pint to drink. I might change my habits.

Yeah, if you drink that utter piss Heineken, then change to Guinness.

It is liquid gold compared to that scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Guinness is a good drop? That doesn't make any sense but your probably pissed so all is excused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Guinness is for me a one pint wonder.
    The first one is creamy, full of flavour and a daycent pint.
    But it kills my tastebuds and subsequent pints just taste like farty sludge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Guinesss is by far and away the nicest stout, porterhouse plain is a nice enough stout also but not as nice as Guinness. Beamish is ok, you could drink one or two but you get tired of it then and Murphys is undrinkable muck.

Exactly, need to get a good pint of Guinness, a lot of people are judging it in places where the pint is not great.

Last time I was home in Ireland I had a couple of lunchtime pints in Ryans on Parkgate street - with a few packet of King crisps.

Heaven.

Literal Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Guinness is great.

I’d have no time for the type that goes on and on about some triple roasted hops muck aged in a rum cask or with a blend of chocolate and porridge oats.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

You're an absolute embarrassment with that hashtag and are just making true all the stereotypes aimed at the craft brigade. Careful not to buy off 'the man' maaaaaan.

At least you said you prefer it yourself this time at least rather than it being "far superior". That's a fair rein in.

But it is far superior imo... and that's what it's all about opinions... will still drink Guinness and Beamish... but as I keep having to repeat for the hard of hearing...I prefer O'Hara's ...we have many varied choices these days...we don't all have to bow the knee to uncle Arthur

But it is far superior imo... and that's what it's all about opinions... will still drink Guinness and Beamish... but as I keep having to repeat for the hard of hearing...I prefer O'Hara's ...we have many varied choices these days...we don't all have to bow the knee to uncle Arthur

Uncle Arthur. You'll deinfiely have earned your craft beer club membership badge now.

we have many varied choices these days...we don't all have to bow the knee to uncle Arthur

Off the top of my head,O'Hara's, Rye River, Wicklow Wolf, Metalman, Franciscan Well, Kinnegar, White Hag, James Brown, White Gypsy, Porterhouse, 8 Degrees, Galway Bay and Trouble Brewing are all producing decent options. Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Off the top of my head,O'Hara's, Rye River, Wicklow Wolf, Metalman, Franciscan Well, Kinnegar, White Hag, James Brown, White Gypsy, Porterhouse, 8 Degrees, Galway Bay and Trouble Brewing are all producing decent options. Good times!

Do metalman do a Stout now? Haven't seen their pale ale around my way lately really. Always grab it when I see it.

I've never seen a Metalman stout either. Maybe it's a seasonal one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I hang with bearded craft folk and I have to drink that nonsense or be cast from the group. So on different nights out to have a creamy Guinness is a joy.

It’s nice because it’s fairly bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That West Indies porter was a lovely drop

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Do metalman do a Stout now? Haven't seen their pale ale around my way lately really. Always grab it when I see it.

They had a smoked chili porter out called Heat Sink. Tesco might still have cans of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That West Indies porter was a lovely drop

That was nice alright. Is it gone?

That was nice alright. Is it gone?

It's still in Tesco anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

If the options are the standard Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser etc.... I'll happily drink Guinness. Guinness itself is OK for a few pints, It's fairly bland though. Will usually switch to spirits or something else after 2-3 or three though to avoid the repercussions.

Also, I really wish that bars would do away with the two part pour nonsense. Having to dawdle at the bar for no reason actually puts me off buying a pint of Guinness in the first place.

Ishmael wrote: »
    If the options are the standard Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser etc.... I'll happily drink Guinness. Guinness itself is OK for a few pints, It's fairly bland though. Will usually switch to spirits or something else after 2-3 or three though to avoid the repercussions.

Also, I really wish that bars would do away with the two part pour nonsense. Having to dawdle at the bar for no reason actually puts me off buying a pint of Guinness in the first place.

That’s a pretty decent effort at trolling right there.

Well done. Now off you go with your ‘glass’ and the drop of blackcurrant.

Edit: They should give a fella who wants a single pour pint of Guinness exactly what he wants. It’s just what they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

They had a smoked chili porter out called Heat Sink. Tesco might still have cans of it.

I quite liked that but it obviously wasn't a good seller. Started off at 2.99 a can but eventually my local Tesco sold them off at 30 cent a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Exactly, need to get a good pint of Guinness, a lot of people are judging it in places where the pint is not great.

Last time I was home in Ireland I had a couple of lunchtime pints in Ryans on Parkgate street - with a few packet of King crisps.

Heaven.

Literal Heaven.

This.

For me, as a general rule, the best pints of Guinness are to be found in 'old man' type pubs.

Gastro pub or late bar type place, not so much.

There is nothing worse than a bad pint of Guinness, it's undrinkable if not perfect.

Hotels are usually the worst of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Hotels are usually the worst of the lot.

Forgot them too, have to agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Had a few cans from SuperValu....it was ok... without spending too much money, I think Leann Folláin is a great stout.... but DKML from Founders is different gravy (not Irish I know) but worth spending a few quid on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

My very first pint of Guinness was shortly after i arrived here in Ireland.
    It was in the Guinness factory. I did like that one but i never had one in a pub that came close to it till the point that i thought i was actually trying to drink brown bread.
    I dont like brown bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

JayZeus wrote: »
    That’s a pretty decent effort at trolling right there.

Well done. Now off you go with your ‘glass’ and the drop of blackcurrant.

Edit: They should give a fella who wants a single pour pint of Guinness exactly what he wants. It’s just what they deserve.

Would there be something wrong with single pour Guinness, does the magic not work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ipso wrote: »
    Would there be something wrong with single pour Guinness, does the magic not work?

It’s akin to claiming to taste the difference between a shaken or stirred martini.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement