Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

site potential - percolation test

• 08-03-2019 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Is there any way I can show indicatively that a site would not pass the percolation tests, or does not have site potential, without digging the large percolation holes, or appointing an engineer?

Can i do a indicative perc test without extensive digging?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

sydthebeat wrote: »
    No

what if the soil is only aboit 2 ft above the water table? not much site potential there i would imagine, in lay mans terms!

what if the soil is only aboit 2 ft above the water table? not much site potential there i would imagine, in lay mans terms!

how do you know where the water table is without digging a hole.....

im talking in general terms.. not site specific

ive seen fields full of rushes pass no problem, and ive seen green luscious grass fields fail for a high water table....

how do you know where the water table is without digging a hole.....

im talking in general terms.. not site specific

ive seen fields full of rushes pass no problem, and ive seen green luscious grass fields fail for a high water table....

well in this particular case, i can dig a 2 ft cubed hole with a shovle and after a few heavy showers of rain the water will fill to about 1 ft from top and stay there for about 2 days!

im wondering in this case do i still need to get a digger in to dig the 2 meter deep holes or whatever, or is it relatively safe to say it would be a fail. i suppose that's my question really.

Surface water into a marly soil won't generally percolate well..... And isn't a reflection on the percolation value is the site

However the first test holes to be tested are between 600mm and 1000mm deep.... So if you want to dig those by hand, off you go.

It's only when these fail do you test the top soil holes.

• Advertisement

ok thanks.

so what rate of percolation would i be looking for in the 600mm and 1000mm deep holes?

And whats the diameters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

ok thanks.

so what rate of percolation would i be looking for in the 600mm and 1000mm deep holes?

And whats the diameters?

Attached link to EPA manual for perc tests. Have a good read, says it all.. :rolleyes:

http://www.epa.ie/pubs/advice/water/wastewater/code%20of%20practice%20for%20single%20houses/Code%20of%20Practice%20Part%201%202010.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is all pointless since you don't own the land and are trying to gather evidence to negotiate down a price.

Land is worth whatever price the buyer and seller can agree on.

If it's a site being purchased, then it should be purchased subject to permission

Lumen wrote: »
    This is all pointless since you don't own the land and are trying to gather evidence to negotiate down a price.

Land is worth whatever price the buyer and seller can agree on.

how is it pointless if it helps my argument that the land does not have the same site potential the seller is claiming, when agreeing price?

• Advertisement

If it's a site being purchased, then it should be purchased subject to permission

i dont want the land for a site, and won't be looking for planning. i want it for other purposes.

i dont want the land for a site, and won't be looking for planning. i want it for other purposes.

That's not how sales work.

You can't buy a range rover and look to pay a cheaper price because you'll only ever drive it on country roads....

The seller sets the price.

If you don't want to pay that, so be it.

That's not how sales work.

You can't buy a range rover and look to pay a cheaper price because you'll only ever drive it on country roads....

The seller sets the price.

If you don't want to pay that, so be it.

Thanks but i dont agree. Buyer obviously has to know what they are buying, to negotiate the price with the seller. Has the land realistic site potential or not? If not then its not worth site value, and price to be negotiated based on that. If seller doesnt agree then thats no problem, buyer tells him to keep it then!!

Thanks but i dont agree. Buyer obviously has to know what they are buying, to negotiate the price with the seller. Has the land realistic site potential or not? If not then its not worth site value, and price to be negotiated based on that. If seller doesnt agree then thats no problem, buyer tells him to keep it then!!

Nope, again that's not how it works.

Seller puts their value on it, buyer decides if that value is commensurate with how they value it.

It's not called "speculating" for nothing.

The opportunity cost is the difference between these due to future decisions

If it has site potential then it's sold subject to planning.

If seller doesn't want that arrangement then let them sell as agriculture value, or whatever value they see fit.

If buyer doesn't agree with the value then walk away.
    If buyer wants the land badly... Then negotiate

Seller puts their value on it, buyer decides if that value is commensurate with how they value it.

Shur thats exactly what im saying . Buyer needs to put their value on it also, so as to negotiate with seller.

Thats why im trying to find out its percolation ability, as a factor in determining its value

If it has site potential then it's sold [/quote

.. . . but if buyer doesnt want the land for a site . .. . then he's obviously not going to pay for perc tests and apply for planning, just to prove that the land does not have site potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I really don't see the OP's argument here? If the percolation test fails then aren't there other methods all be it more expensive of dealing with the waste water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

What do you want the land for?

my3cents wrote: »
    I really don't see the OP's argument here? If the percolation test fails then aren't there other methods all be it more expensive of dealing with the waste water?

A high water table can mean a refusal of permission regardless of the treatment proposed.

Not every piece of land is suitable for housing

yes, but more expensive methods would again influence value of the "site"

woohoo!!! wrote: »

bees

• Advertisement

A high water table can mean a refusal of permission regardless of the treatment proposed.

exactly. so the buyer obviously needs to determine this somehow so as to negotiate price with seller??!

if you dont see my argument here. . .. then please answer me this, who in this case pays for the perc tests to be done?

whats your definition of a high water table then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Do you want this land at agricultural value only

bees
    Where do you need good percolation, topsoil or further down. If topsoil, what's growing there gives a good indication. If there are houses in the vicinity, check their percolation tests.

if you dont see my argument here. . .. then please answer me this, who in this case pays for the perc tests to be done?

You do, why would the seller? The land can be sold subject to planning permission so you are left with all the bills for getting the planning permission. As you don't want to do that then that leaves it open for someone else to buy.

whats your definition of a high water table then?

Have a read through that EPA document

fepper wrote: »
    Do you want this land at agricultural value only

yes, definitely

exactly. so the buyer obviously needs to determine this somehow so as to negotiate price with seller??!

Nope. Youre assuming the seller doesn't want to maximise the price they can get for the land.

The seller sets the price subject to planning, the buyer agrees and goes about the process of preparing a planning application...of which the perc tests are an initial part.

• Advertisement

Where do you need good percolation, topsoil or further down. If topsoil, what's growing there gives a good indication. If there are houses in the vicinity, check their percolation tests.

i dont need any percolation, just the land.

There is a house right beside this piece of land. Would perc tests results for this house be a good indicator? thanks for that helpful advice, which i will look into

Who is going to sell land at an agricultural price to someone who could be making a story up about bees so they can make a profit and sell the land themselves with fpp.

The seller may also be selling the land for housing because they need that much money. No point selling it at an agricultural price if it won't get the required amount.

Neighbors here sold land as a "garden" to owners of an old cottage just along the road to me. Not long after the combined house and new "garden" were on sale for 500k with fpp. Price is a bit steep so its been on the market a while but it will sell eventually.

Nope. Youre assuming the seller doesn't want to maximise the price they can get for the land.

The seller sets the price subject to planning, the buyer agrees and goes about the process of preparing a planning application...of which the perc tests are an initial part.

well if the water table is about a foot down, then it's pointless going any furthur. Anyone can see that. which goes back to my initial query.

well if the water table is about a foot down, then it's pointless going any furthur. Anyone can see that. which goes back to my initial query.

And back to my initial question :)

Round and round we go

Who is going to sell land at an agricultural price to someone who could be making a story up about bees so they can make a profit and sell the land themselves with fpp.

well i dont think it has planning potential and am not willing to spend €2-3k finding out.
    Let the seller show me that it will pass perc tests so, then he can ask his site value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

well i dont think it has planning potential and am not willing to spend €2-3k finding out.
    Let the seller show me that it will pass perc tests so, then he can ask his site value.

But

He wants to sell as site and you are not the only other person on earth.

• Advertisement

You're looking at about €800 tops.

You're looking at about €800 tops.

€800 for what, sorry?

A seller isn't going to do percolation tests for you, period and certainly not for land at agricultural prices. You don't want to spend money to find out what the tests would tell you for using the land for bees, your query doesn't add up. Anyway I'm outta here

A seller isn't going to do percolation tests for you, period and certainly not for land at agricultural prices. You don't want to spend money to find out what the tests would tell you for using the land for bees, your query doesn't add up. Anyway I'm outta here

just as well woohoo. i dont think you inderstand the issue. thanks anyway :)

just as well woohoo. i dont think you inderstand the issue. thanks anyway :)
    Yep i understand you're being cheap, so good luck

• Advertisement

Yep i understand you're being cheap, so good luck

shur what's wrong with that?

shur what's wrong with that?

I think the problem is its unlikely to work.

€800 for what, sorry?

A percolation test

A percolation test

ok. i thought it would be more. thanks very much sydthebeat . maybe I'll discuss with seller then and will propose that i get perc tests done to help determine the value of the land.

ok. i thought it would be more. thanks very much sydthebeat . maybe I'll discuss with seller then and will propose that i get perc tests done to help determine the value of the land.

unless of course i can first determine that the water table is too high, as per your earlier comments sydthebeat

unless of course i can first determine that the water table is too high, as per your earlier comments sydthebeat

The thing is... if the seller wants to maximise the value, they wouldn't or shouldn't accept anything else as "evidence" of unsuitability of the site for housing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

A percolation test

800 to 1000 plus the digging for a full report.

Hired a 3t myself cost about 100 cash

The thing is... if the seller wants to maximise the value, they wouldn't or shouldn't accept anything else as "evidence" of unsuitability of the site for housing

i understand that, thanks. but seller may have no other choice if they wants to sell it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

I've never heard of anyone buying a site for agricultural purposes,I suppose you might have a better chance of buying the whole field if they are willing to sell and a high agricultural value is usually paid if good land

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Leave the vendor with his roadside holding regardless of whether it is a site or not and offer him agriculture value with a small premium to buy a piece of his land away from the road that will never be a site.

Obviously pay for a right of way into it too.

Most farmers have bits and pieces of out fields and scrub that are feck all use for farming but ideal for bee hives.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement