Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many lads have stock out?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Bulk of weanlings back in since that wet saturday 12 days ago. Still have 10 out on 3 acre paddocks but I have moved them 2 times in that time rather than bog the fields too much. Not doing any damage worth talking about to be fair.

11 cows and their calves out also, split over 2x8 acre fields with good shelter. Doing fine also. They are being supplemented with hay.

There's a poor forecast for Saturday but next week might be a bit dryer. If so lighter stock will be going back out.

Double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Although grass is getting tight in this sh1te weather I’m not worried I’m not buying anymore cattle for this grazing season and I doubt I’ll bother me backside filling the shed next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Nothing out bar a cull cow. I’ll put her back in tomorrow. Land is saturated. Outdoor farming really and truly is a 5 month event here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Went back in last Saturday morning. I had 27 cattle out. Should have gone out earlier and came back in earlier. Looking at the weather forecast I expect to be back out next Wednesday or Thursday. I had 27 out I will get out a bunch of lighter heifers as well to the bit around the house. Looking at the weather forecast. Grass will start growing again next week. Will graze off the silage paddocks first. Target is to have them grazed and closed by April 1st.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bullocks wrote: »
    I've 6 calved heifers out and 2 cows that calved aswell. They are surprisingly content. Getting a small pinch of nuts once a day just when I'm looking at them and I'd say they would be roaring more for them if they were in on silage

I said I'd throw them a bale of hay this morning with all the rain , one of them was pulling the bale off me when I was carrying it in :( . Hopefully it will dry upafter lunch or they will be heading back in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Heavy rain and strong winds today. Weather is promised wet and windy for the rest of this week. Its looking like its gonna be a late spring in many places now.
    I wouldn't like to be overstocked at this stage so early in the year

Heavy rain and strong winds today. Weather is promised wet and windy for the rest of this week. Its looking like its gonna be a late spring in many places now.
    I wouldn't like to be overstocked at this stage so early in the year

Just went through the Forecast there for most of the country on the app that I use it is showing it dry everywhere next week except the NW and that is by no means wet either.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just went through the Forecast there for most of the country on the app that I use it is showing it dry everywhere next week except the NW and that is by no means wet either.

It's even looking "summery" looking in the foreseeable at this moment. Which is weird for March. 17 degrees in Feb was weird too I suppose.

All stock in here today.

The calf prices could be quickly forgotten by the drought again this year?

Some cows and calfs here just moved into Glas WBC, they are doing grand and "Happy out".. I have to admit I didn't have a great crop of oats for the WBC .....🙂

Edit... was trying to attach a couple of pics but sized too big... I'll reduce and attach tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

It's even looking "summery" looking in the foreseeable at this moment. Which is weird for March. 17 degrees in Feb was weird too I suppose.

All stock in here today.

The calf prices could be quickly forgotten by the drought again this year?

Hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭White Clover

Hopefully

I wouldn't call last summer a drought! Twas a great summer around here, we've had too many where there has been rain every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,113 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hopefully

Well it's not exactly been a "normal" run of Irish weather for the past 18 months.
    So you never know..
    Ex hurricanes, snow blizzards, drought, exceptional mild winter...and now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I wouldn't call last summer a drought! Twas a great summer around here, we've had too many where there has been rain every week.

A dry summer wouldn't go astray. Cant remember the last time i seen the sun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Every river has burst it's bankss around here and turloughs up good and high. Feb and March got a bit mixed up!! Even if we get dry weather for next few weeks will take a while to go down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭emaherx

Certainly was a drought here, some land only recovering now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had to move stock to drier ground. Serious flooding.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Some cows and calfs here just moved into Glas WBC, they are doing grand and "Happy out".. I have to admit I didn't have a great crop of oats for the WBC .....🙂

Edit... was trying to attach a couple of pics but sized too big... I'll reduce and attach tonight

Here's a couple of pics from earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Here's a couple of pics from earlier

That black is a nice cow. Is she 3/4 bred?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

That black is a nice cow. Is she 3/4 bred?

Yeah, she's a LM out of a LM cow. There mus be a bit of B Fr or Aa in there some where as well.

Most of our cows would be 3/4 continental mainly a mix of char SIM and Lim. The odd Her or Aa criss sneaks in as well, like that yoke in the background... she was cheap at the mart a few weeks ago... thers a reason she was cheap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Yeah, she's a LM out of a LM cow. There mus be a bit of B Fr or Aa in there some where as well.

Most of our cows would be 3/4 continental mainly a mix of char SIM and Lim. The odd Her or Aa criss sneaks in as well, like that yoke in the background... she was cheap at the mart a few weeks ago... thers a reason she was cheap

Is the yoke in reference to the Whitehead or the other black cow? A photo isn't a great reference point to judge stock but they all look reasonable enough imo.

What did she cost was the calf at foot. In Castleisland the week before last she would only have made 900 euro with calf at foot at most.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Who2

Outfits seem to be on the rise in price around me. Seen a few break the 2k mark but general run at the moment seems to be 1500 for anything reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

I think you might want to delete that weather app :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I think you might want to delete that weather app :D

Not showing any rain in midlands for the week either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭endainoz

Met eireann seem to he more accurate for me that yr these days band the week coming looks dry enough, have 6 cows and calves to go out, maybe Wednesday or Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,637 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

All stock now back in(including ewes that will start lambing the next few weeks). Its been a helluva start to March with rainfall totals already exceeding what we had over the entire winter proper!!:(

What did she cost was the calf at foot. In Castleisland the week before last she would only have made 900 euro with calf at foot at most.

€1,080 in Ballinasloe aprox 4 weeks ago... 7 y/o in calf to a great Charolais bull.... every day is a school day.... heifer calf.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

€1,080 in Ballinasloe aprox 4 weeks ago... 7 y/o in calf to a great Charolais bull.... every day is a school day.... heifer calf.....

I wouldn't have considered her that bad of value tbh unless I'm missing something crucial. They look to be big cows and an early march calf should be good and strong for the weanling sales. If the cow trade is anyway middling come the backend she should make the most of it back as a cull imo. I seen a 2012 big red whitehead cow sold a fortnight ago well softened to calve at €1060, she was part of a dispersal sale and I was very tempted but short of space and finances atm.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have considered her that bad of value tbh unless I'm missing something crucial. They look to be big cows and an early march calf should be good and strong for the weanling sales. If the cow trade is anyway middling come the backend she should make the most of it back as a cull imo. I seen a 2012 big red whitehead cow sold a fortnight ago well softened to calve at €1060, she was part of a dispersal sale and I was very tempted but short of space and finances atm.

Yeah, look we often did dafter things... she was worth a gamble if she had a good calf.....as it turned out she had a middling yoke... thems the breaks.... good young cows were going €1500 to €1700 the same day.

Advertisement