Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many lads have stock out?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I have light heifers ~300kgs out on grass . They're getting 2.5lb crunch / head/ day.
    I have enough crunch here till next Tuesday.
    They'll be going out to a nice cover of grass at the weekend.
    Should I cut them off then or continue for another while?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Zeebsisgone654

Calved cows every day since the 9th February, was hoping to let a few out tonight but the weather has scuppered that , let them in at 2 today

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Calved cows out by day the last few days. They'll going to be housed again. Heavy rain now. Ground was soft as it was. Felt sorry for the cows with the mild temperatures this week but im paying for it in the milking parlor. The grass is flowing through them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I have light heifers ~300kgs out on grass . They're getting 2.5lb crunch / head/ day.

It depends on how much grass you have and shelter if you have it etc, etc in bad weather and wet grass.
    Grass now "should" have a feeding value greater than meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Id cut them. Theyll only be waiting for you at gaps to feed them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Who2

im planning on trying a bit of an experiment this year with my heifers. ive 22 similar sized ones and im going to throw them 1 kg a day all year to see how they go on. last years batch got nothing but grass all year and did feck all the whole summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Constant rain all day today. All bar the lightest 16 bullocks were re-housed this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Grueller

Who2 wrote: »
    im planning on trying a bit of an experiment this year with my heifers. ive 22 similar sized ones and im going to throw them 1 kg a day all year to see how they go on. last years batch got nothing but grass all year and did feck all the whole summer.

Couldn't compare like that on last summer here as they only had dust or meal. They were the choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I let cattle out last weekend. I can not compare how well the are doing versus what is let in the shed. We never let cattle out early here. Last year it was May Day. Looking back now it’s crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Only time I give heifers ration is to get an used to coming into the yard for ai. Keep good grass in front of them and they should do fine. If the weather turns v bad fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Mooooo wrote: »
    Only time I give heifers ration is to get an used to coming into the yard for ai. Keep good grass in front of them and they should do fine. If the weather turns v bad fair enough

An inch if rain forecast for around here between today and tomorrow. I think we may bring some batches back in later on. They will follow a bag so not so bad.

No meal here once they go out but maybe once a week go out with a few nuts in the bottom of a bag and lead em for bit... makes it very handy if they will follow a bag for moving, gathering em over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,092 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jimmy G M wrote: »
    An inch if rain forecast for around here between today and tomorrow. I think we may bring some batches back in later on. They will follow a bag so not so bad.

No meal here once they go out but maybe once a week go out with a few nuts in the bottom of a bag and lead em for bit... makes it very handy if they will follow a bag for moving, gathering em over the year.

I was at a farm walk yesterday morning, 20 300kg cattle out on 20 acres, it really looked well yesterday morning ......but it has rained ever since.
    Be interesting to see the management from now on.
    The Project is called ''grass on the bypass'', it's beside the Tullamore bypass so it's very transparent.... the owner would say it as it is anyway, no BS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

wrangler wrote: »
    I was at a farm walk yesterday morning, 20 300kg cattle out on 20 acres, it really looked well yesterday morning ......but it has rained ever since.
    Be interesting to see the management from now on.
    The Project is called ''grass on the bypass'', it's beside the Tullamore bypass so it's very transparent.... the owner would say it as it is anyway, no BS

Has he the 20 roaming over the full 20 acres wrangler? We have some out here that sort of ratio and then others out on paddock type system but not as intense as summer, to reduce poaching.

jimmy G M wrote: »
    Has he the 20 roaming over the full 20 acres wrangler? We have some out here that sort of ratio and then others out on paddock type system but not as intense as summer, to reduce poaching.

It's paddocks, a farmer is doing it for teagasc, a demonstration farm, they're hoping to have sixty on it by the fifteenth of april.
    He started closing at the end of October, so there's a lot of grass on some of the paddocks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

All it will demonstrate is that you can carry big numbers on good land. But sure we knew that already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

It's paddocks, a farmer is doing it for teagasc, a demonstration farm, they're hoping to have sixty on it by the fifteenth of april.
    He started closing at the end of October, so there's a lot of grass on some of the paddocks

See it alright grand set up,the suckler fella next door wouldnt be into that sorta crack :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What kind of cattle? Little aax heifers?

What kind of cattle? Little aax heifers?

Yea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Out in the snow not a bother on them 2ac paddock a bit poached I’ll either harrow or roll it in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not any more. Had 25 cows and their Autumn calves out but brought them in an hour ago. They are fair happy to come in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭emaherx

Grueller wrote: »
    Not any more. Had 25 cows and their Autumn calves out but brought them in an hour ago. They are fair happy to come in.

Same here, they were standing bawling at the gate this evening so I just let them in. Hopefully they won't be in long.

Still have some heifers out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Yea

Has anyone kept cattle out. I have small bunch out still. They are doing well but ground conditions are rubbish. Starting to damage but I am doing my best and hold my nerve and not rehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Rehoused last Saturday morning. Had 27 out over 50% weight wise but not number wise. Utilisation had gone very poor and going through grass to fast. They will get in until the middle of next week

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

All mine out and not coming back!
    I’m like the brits and brexit.....I said I’m going to eat my foot and I’m damn well going to!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

20 out , starting to roam a bit but they are thriving well and as the forecast improves I think I can hold my nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I've 6 calved heifers out and 2 cows that calved aswell. They are surprisingly content. Getting a small pinch of nuts once a day just when I'm looking at them and I'd say they would be roaring more for them if they were in on silage

We've had more rain already now in March than we've had in any march since 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭endainoz

wrangler wrote:
    We've had more rain already now in March than we've had in any march since 2009

Ah yeah, but on the back of an extremely mild winter, I don't think it's as noticable. Ground conditions going into March were still very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ground conditions here are great. If weather turns as good next week as they say then out they go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭endainoz

Reggie. wrote:
    Ground conditions here are great. If weather turns as good next week as they say then out they go

Fingers crossed!

Advertisement