Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelie Bin Pay-by-weight discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Looking at all of these charge the question raises was there collusion by the companies to all raise the prices because there is no competition at present? the CCPC should really investigate this.

It puzzles me to that the Government sets a minimum fee of 11c for black bin and yet these companies are setting rates of up to 35c per black bin..

The Govt are allowing the collector to charge a service fee , so extra cost per kg should be investigated .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the new Recycling and Domestic Waste Disposal forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Been paying by weight in Limerick for years, family of 4, recycle & compost what I can, €336 this year approx

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭WealthyB

CityBin emailed me today - Dublin South Central

- Service Charge per month €15.12
    (They say it's €3.49 per week but it's actually 15.12 per month after speaking with them)
    - Black Bin €0.27 per Kg
    - Brown Bin €0.17 per Kg
    - Green Bin Free

Based on this, my average monthly cost is going from €18 to €35 er month
    Young families with kids in nappies being fleeced by this new structure.

Has anyone done a comprehensive comparison per supplier in Dublin? I'd be happy to put all this down in one spreadsheet so Dublin consumers could do a price comparison.

EDIT: Comparison Thread over here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=100043375

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

So what are people doing in rented accommodation? I live in a house converted into flats(very common I'm sure) and up to now each flat has put out bags(first from Greyhound, then they stopped taking bags, so we switched to Abbey Waste). Should each flat now sign up for a bin service and have 12 bins hanging about the house? What happens if I pay for this and then move, what happens to the bins? It doesn't seem fair to have the landlord sign up, since it is pay by weight and he is not the "polluter" under the polluter pays principle.

Also, I note Abbey Waste now have a notice on their site(http://www.abbeywaste.ie/) about not collecting bags except in the areas where DCC allow it. Earlier in the year they assured the new regs would not affect them and they would continue bag collection :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

So based on published prices available on the web, the two options I have are Thorntons or City Bin.

Based on 2015 usage, I am facing a 43% increase in charges - BECAUSE I ALREADY RECYCLE AND HOME COMPOST!!

This is nuts.

Thorntons old Thorntons new City bin option 1 old City bin option 1 new City bin option 2 old City bin option 2 new
    Monthly fee €18.00 €12.95 €6.00
    Annual fee €50.00 €104.00 €216.00 €155.40 €72.00 €139.00
    Black bin lift €9.90 €- €- €- €9.00
    Black bin kilo €- €0.35 €- €0.30 €- €0.30

2015 Black lifts 10 €99.00 €- €- €- €90.00 €-
    Black kilos 312 €- €109.20 €- €93.60 €- €93.60
    Months 12 €50.00 €104.00 €216.00 €155.40 €72.00 €139.00
    Total €149.00 €213.20 €216.00 €249.00 €162.00 €232.60

Increase 43% 15% 44%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I guess I am lucky that my price will only go up by 26%.

Those of us who already recycle are the looser of this "reform".

But it might also lead to me putting the bin out now every 2 weeks even if it's just for a kg because if I have to pay a radical higher yearly fee than I have no incentive of waiting until it's reasonable full. Will bring more lifts and hence more work to the bin company and hence reduce their cost base.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

Got the email from city bin today as well. 3.49 a week 17c kilo for brown/compost and 27c kilo for grey. Based on my usage for the last year ,my bill will go up 53%.

We have 1 child in nappies so I won't be able to reduce my grey bin weight too much more for another 2 years. We already recycle and use the brown bin as much as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

Steve wrote: »
    So based on published prices available on the web, the two options I have are Thorntons or City Bin.

Based on 2015 usage, I am facing a 43% increase in charges - BECAUSE I ALREADY RECYCLE AND HOME COMPOST!!

This is nuts.

You wouldn't like to stick the spreadsheet up on Google Drive or somewhere, would you? Save a few of us having to rebuild it.

Got the email from city bin today as well. 3.49 a week 17c kilo for brown/compost and 27c kilo for grey. Based on my usage for the last year ,my bill will go up 53%.

We have 1 child in nappies so I won't be able to reduce my grey bin weight too much more for another 2 years. We already recycle and use the brown bin as much as possible.

Exact same boat as you mate. Got another 2 years of nappies to get through.

One thing - it's not €3.49 a week but in fact €15.12 a month.

my last 4 months had I been on the new billing it'd be 71% more expensive. Scandalous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭guil

AES have 2 different plans depending on where you live.
    €90 service charge for 6 months with waste at €.25 per kg and organic at €.15 per kg
    €60 service charge for 6 months with waste at €.33 per kg and organic at €.19 per kg.
    Glass and recycling bins are free.

There's a €3 discount on the service charge for direct debit and €3 for paperless billing. That's 10% on the €60 plan and 6.6% on the €90 plan.
    https://www.aesirl.ie/prices-by-weight/?cnt=933&tnl=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

I have 2 kids in nappies. My black bin is 80% nappies when it goes out. And its bloody heavy as a result. This is going to hit families with young babies the hardest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You wouldn't like to stick the spreadsheet up on Google Drive or somewhere, would you? Save a few of us having to rebuild it.

No problem.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-vXTzUFNELyTEVFcEZpQzNVcVE

• Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

joe_99 wrote: »
    I have 2 kids in nappies. My black bin is 80% nappies when it goes out. And its bloody heavy as a result. This is going to hit families with young babies the hardest.

May let them roam free in back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

We didn't get letter yet , but then again Greenstar have 80,000 customers to write to

But sure how many customers do electric Ireland or bord Gais energy or indeed Irish water have and they write to them every month

The potential to save is there.
    Food in compost pic
    ALL PACKAGING IN RECYCLING BIN
    THERE IS NO NEED FOR WASTE BIN
    How I roll //

Nappies is another story for people with them.

You need to realize that what's in recycle bin is only partly sorted and rest goes as a fuel,So its ok to put ALL PACKAGING IN RECYCLE BIN.

People need to only get a
    Recylce bin and a compost bin. What you haven't you can not use.
    SO FORGET WASTE BIN IN MY ADVICE. SEE IT AS A CHALLENGE !!
    I HAVE NO WASTE BIN FOR LAST 2 YEARS.
    PACKAGING BIN
    COMPOST BIN
    FULL STOP

The potential to save is there.
    Food in compost pic
    ALL PACKAGING IN RECYCLING BIN
    THERE IS NO NEED FOR WASTE BIN
    How I roll //

Nappies is another story for people with them.

You need to realize that what's in recycle bin is only partly sorted and rest goes as a fuel,So its ok to put ALL PACKAGING IN RECYCLE BIN.

You need to be careful with that advice, it's not 100% good.

About a year ago I did some consulting for THE major materials recovery center in Ireland - most if not all 'green' waste in Dublin goes there.

They have issues with certain materials clogging up the sorting machinery - materials that seem innocent and recyclable to you and I but are not on their 'allowed' list.

That is overshadowed greatly, however, by the sheer amount of wet nappies they get every day. I couldn't believe it when I was told to look for them, I counted approx 1 every 30s on the entry line. Who does that?? That is the main reason the rest of us are paying higher charges as they have to manually pick them out and dispose of them as biohazard.

Not all is lost though as they have had a few systems in place for a while now, one is a camera system that records what comes out of a green bin before it is eaten by the truck and another is bag sampling where randomly an account is selected and the green bin contents are bagged for later inspection.
    As far as I know, they are not doing anything with the results yet but are saving them for future withdrawal of green waste collections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

What is happening with the takeover of Greenstar by Panda? Will both continue to operate side by side? Is there any point in getting pricing from Panda to compare against Greenstar?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

What is happening with the takeover of Greenstar by Panda? Will both continue to operate side by side? Is there any point in getting pricing from Panda to compare against Greenstar?

CCPC to carry out a full investigation of PandaGreen’s acquisition of Greenstar
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100032814&postcount=16

You might as well, I could save 15% over Greenstar funny enough, so shopping around helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

One person living alone, I save about €5 as things stand, based on my usage over last three months. And I could recycle more, but I was putting out half empty bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

People need to only get a
    Recylce bin and a compost bin. What you haven't you can not use.
    SO FORGET WASTE BIN IN MY ADVICE. SEE IT AS A CHALLENGE !!
    I HAVE NO WASTE BIN FOR LAST 2 YEARS.
    PACKAGING BIN
    COMPOST BIN
    FULL STOP

What about sanitary waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Steve wrote: »
    You need to be careful with that advice, it's not 100% good.

About a year ago I did some consulting for THE major materials recovery center in Ireland - most if not all 'green' waste in Dublin goes there.

They have issues with certain materials clogging up the sorting machinery - materials that seem innocent and recyclable to you and I but are not on their 'allowed' list.

That is overshadowed greatly, however, by the sheer amount of wet nappies they get every day. I couldn't believe it when I was told to look for them, I counted approx 1 every 30s on the entry line. Who does that?? That is the main reason the rest of us are paying higher charges as they have to manually pick them out and dispose of them as biohazard.

Not all is lost though as they have had a few systems in place for a while now, one is a camera system that records what comes out of a green bin before it is eaten by the truck and another is bag sampling where randomly an account is selected and the green bin contents are bagged for later inspection.
    As far as I know, they are not doing anything with the results yet but are saving them for future withdrawal of green waste collections.

I worked in the industry a few years back

The system
    Was any recycling bin over a certain weight aprox 12 k was checked on the roadside fir contamination

If it was it was left behind

You either took it out for the next collection or paid extra depending on the reason to have it lifted by the waste truck

Now that the legislation states ALL waste bins have to be weighed and charged per kilo

You're going to have to pay
    Full price to get a contaminated recycling bin emptied

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just out of interest has anybody with a baby considered using cloth nappies?

Just out of interest has anybody with a baby considered using cloth nappies?

No, and with respect, if you had kids yourself you'd never suggest it because of the impracticalities.

My 18month old had a viral infection 2 weeks ago - it was running out of him up to 8 times a day for nearly 4 days straight. Cloth nappies are a quaint idea from a time long gone, but most parents simply don't have the time to be handscrubbing sh*te out of nappies 8 times a day while minding a sick infant to boot. As for putting them through the laundry? Any saving in nappy costs would be eaten up instantly by laundry costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Greenstar Wicklow:

Standing charge: €13 per month
    General Waste: 25c
    Compost: 15c
    Recycling 0c

I wonder why they're charging more per kg (33c for black bin) in Finglas? I would have thought the standing charge would be different if it cost them more to collect it, but the cost of processing the waste would be the same for them everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The different charges for the same companies in different areas is generally due to rural versus Urban routes but also due to them using different landfill sites based on where they collect on particular days so Finglas will be dearer than Wicklow because even though the service charge would be less the Finglas landfill dump will cost them more than the Wicklow one.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Panda have confirmed these charges in meath

SC €118.00/€59.00 every 6 months
    Waste bin
    €3.20 per lift and .277c per kg
    Recycling bin
    Free of charge
    Compost bin
    €2.56 per lift and .16c per kg

So what I can see is:

Meath Fees Panda AES Thorntons
    Standing Charge 9.83 15.00 8.00
    Per Kilo 22.16 20.00 28.00
    Additional Lift Charge 6.40
    Total Monthly Charge 38.39 35.00 36.00

Based on two lifts of 40kg per month. Looking at general waste only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

WealthyB wrote: »
    No, and with respect, if you had kids yourself you'd never suggest it because of the impracticalities.

My 18month old had a viral infection 2 weeks ago - it was running out of him up to 8 times a day for nearly 4 days straight. Cloth nappies are a quaint idea from a time long gone, but most parents simply don't have the time to be handscrubbing sh*te out of nappies 8 times a day while minding a sick infant to boot. As for putting them through the laundry? Any saving in nappy costs would be eaten up instantly by laundry costs.

I've been using cloth for 2 yrs now and it's nothing like what you describe any more. It's very simple and practical and as cheap as you want it to be! If your child is sick, there's no one going to blame you for using disposables for a week to make life easier on yourself! Same as going on holidays. I just bring sposies.
    A wash costs less than 30 cent including the powder. I wash nappies twice a week. The cloth nappies last 2 children.
    My second child is due in 3 weeks. I don't have to buy any nappies for him or wipes whatsoever, he'll use his brothers. That's a saving of at least a tenner a week, not including bin charges.
    It's definitly worth investigating if you aren't so close minded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

WealthyB wrote: »

The only reason why I mentioned it was because I heard of a some people switching and they seem happy with there deceasion and I've heard others saying there thinking of switching due to the bin charges.

Advertisement