Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JRPG general discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm still waiting on that dream switch release with extra content :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing yesterday. It's a sin it probably won't see a Switch release, it's perfect for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

it's tied down as a Sony exclusive isn't it?

Shame, perfect game for the Switch.

I still need to do NG+ on the PS4, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,844 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cina wrote: »
    it's tied down as a Sony exclusive isn't it?

Shame, perfect game for the Switch.

I still need to do NG+ on the PS4, though.

It's only a Sony exclusive in that it's only on Sony consoles at the moment.

I'm pretty sure it will come to Switch, it's a port that will print money. The only issue might be the engine could be too much work to port since it's proprietary but I'd be surprised if it's not being considered especially with how close Atlus and Nintendo are at the moment with SMT 5 penciled in for the Switch.

I already somehow own 2 Ps4 copies of the game, might as well make it 3!

A PC port would be nice as well.

the fact that Joker is a Smash character points to it as well and then there's rumours a port for 2019 will be announced along with the release of Joker as a Smash character.

There was a post made saying P5 was only on PS3 and PS4 but it didn't mention an exclusivity deal and the post also said Yakuza 0 was only on PS4 but I now own that on PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Supposed to be an update for the enhanced version when the finale of the P5 anime airs at the end of the month.

• Advertisement

Supposed to be an update for the enhanced version when the finale of the P5 anime airs at the end of the month.

Which is around when Joker is released for Smash... hmmm.

Still got SMT4 Apocalypse to play so not like I can't hold out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Really trying to like World of Final Fantasy but it's just not grabbing me. Any basic tips or advise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'm on the Sae dungeon in P5.

Near 85 hours in.

These games badly need an edit, I started this a year ago.

85 hours doesn't even tell the story, in terms of how many times I died and had to repeat.

Already mentioned before but the dialogue is terrible in this one, a real step down from the previous two.

Also, the boss fights are way too easy. Very disappointing after 3/4.

I must go back to three sometime. I died when some story based counter expired and never went back.

For the counter you just have to reach the top of Tartarus but by that stage you should be steam rolling the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone played evoland ?

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    I'm on the Sae dungeon in P5.

Near 85 hours in.

These games badly need an edit, I started this a year ago.

85 hours doesn't even tell the story, in terms of how many times I died and had to repeat.

Already mentioned before but the dialogue is terrible in this one, a real step down from the previous two.

Also, the boss fights are way too easy. Very disappointing after 3/4.

I must go back to three sometime. I died when some story based counter expired and never went back.

I am finding that JRPG's tend to have some unwritten law that the game must be at least an 80 hour crusade, at least in my experience so far. I'm 50 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and only on chapter 5 of 10, the thought of another 50 is not appealing to me right now.

This is my first Persona game but really enjoying it now since picking it up again. Just cleared second palace, boss wasnt as hard as I thought he would be, especially if you have Rampage available. I do think it'll be putting it down again at least once before I finish it though, too many games to play to be committing 100 hours to one and not have some variation in between.

I was looking at Adverts for reasonably priced PS Vita yesterday, wouldnt mind playing Persona 4 at some stage.

Anyone played evoland ?

Yeah. My advice is don't. It's middling and one of those games that thinks it's cleverer than it actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

skerry wrote: »
    I am finding that JRPG's tend to have some unwritten law that the game must be at least an 80 hour crusade, at least in my experience so far. I'm 50 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and only on chapter 5 of 10, the thought of another 50 is not appealing to me right now.

This is my first Persona game but really enjoying it now since picking it up again. Just cleared second palace, boss wasnt as hard as I thought he would be, especially if you have Rampage available. I do think it'll be putting it down again at least once before I finish it though, too many games to play to be committing 100 hours to one and not have some variation in between.

I was looking at Adverts for reasonably priced PS Vita yesterday, wouldnt mind playing Persona 4 at some stage.

€110 in CEX for a 1st gen with the oled screen.

https://ie.webuy.com/product-detail?id=71171918b3g2&categoryName=ps-vita-consoles&superCatName=gaming&title=playstation-vita-black-3g-unboxed

I would advise going for a 3g model as they can be modded to use sd cards rather than the proprietary cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I guess this fits here. New Octopath Traveller prequel coming to smartphones.

I like the new system for combat, with all 8 characters on screen and able to swap between them, feels more like your whole party is travelling together than 4 at a time in the original.

No clue how "light" it may be as a phone game, maybe might make the jump to console later.

Any thoughts on Tokyo Xanadu Ex lads? I think Sephiroth_dude had recommended it before to me. It's on sale for 14.99 at the moment and considering adding it to my JRPG pile of shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Any thoughts on Tokyo Xanadu Ex lads? I think Sephiroth_dude had recommended it before to me. It's on sale for 14.99 at the moment and considering adding it to my JRPG pile of shame

I'm about halfway through and while its fun I'm struggling to muster the enthusiasm to continue. The main characters just aren't very appealing, the player character is especially boring. The side characters are more interesting if I'm being honest.

The dungeon crawling is fun enough though.

Its a bit bland I guess is what I'm saying.

sephiroth_dude swears by it.

Falcom usually make excellent action RPGs. combat seems lots of fun from what I played even if the story is anime generica.

Cheers lads. Will check out a few reviews on YouTube when I get home. Might be worth a punt at that price.

Cheers lads. Will check out a few reviews on YouTube when I get home. Might be worth a punt at that price.

For what its worth I think it follows the same structure the whole way through, so if you like it in the beginning you'll probably like all of it. Unless you get tired of it.

megaten wrote: »
    For what its worth I think it follows the same structure the whole way through, so if you like it in the beginning you'll probably like all of it. Unless you get tired of it.

Screenshots on PS Store make it look quite Persona-ey, but a quick Google suggests the combat is more similar to YS games. Enjoyed the combat in YS VIII but characters aren't really doing anything for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I loved it, if you like trails you'll love it!

I loved it, if you like trails you'll love it!

Never played Trails :(. Relative noob when it comes to JRPGs. I

Never played Trails :(. Relative noob when it comes to JRPGs. I

Another series of games for you too check out! anyway you can't go wrong with Tokyo Xanadu Ex for that price.

Another series of games for you too check out! anyway you can't go wrong with Tokyo Xanadu Ex for that price.

Presume they were PS3 titles? PS4 is my first Sony console so looks like TX might be the closest I'll get to experiencing anything like Trials. Might chance it at that price.

Presume they were PS3 titles? PS4 is my first Sony console so looks like TX might be the closest I'll get to experiencing anything like Trials. Might chance it at that price.

Cold steel 1 and 2 games are coming too ps4 this month I think , there also on vita and ps 3 , cold steel 3 is to ps4 in September ,then you have the legend of heros trail in the sky and two other games, they can be gotten on pc and vita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

My Christ, persona 5 will never end..

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

https://gematsu.com/2019/03/utawarerumono-prelude-to-the-fallen-coming-west-in-early-2020

The remake of the remake of the first Utawaerumono game is coming to the west, great news that people can finally enjoy the full story

28qTSwi.gif

Also this kind of filth

Different publisher so hopefully it'll follow the same conventions. I held out on getting the other two when I heard the first was getting remade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

There's a Final Fantasy sale on Vita at the moment with everything apart from VII and IX for a fiver. Picked up IV Complete Collection among a few others and am working through it at the moment - it's not bad.

Never played IV before and it's pretty basic by today's standards but there's still enough hooks and the updated graphics aren't as bad as their IOS ports would go on to be.

I find FF4 to be one of the best Final Fantasy games. The story is very basic, clichidden and is a total star wars rip off but the game is just so well paced and tonnes of fun. It's probably the FF game I've beaten the most. And it's not like Final Fantasy games have good stories anyway.

I just find it doesn't waste the players time and is so well paced. It's the only FF game where the ATB system actually works and serves a purpose when it comes to the puzzle bosses, even if slow if pretty over powered.

Just don't play the god awful waste of time that is the after years episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Valkyria chronicles 4 is getting fairly meh towards the end. I'm on chapter 15 and the promise of more open, tactical battlefields from some of the earlier missions has disappeared in favour of very prescribed encounters. I'm just cheesing some of the levels which is a disappointment.

The favouring of op enemy special units rather than interesting scenarios populated by standard units is a real poor design decision imo

Looks like it might be the same sort of deal as Cold Steel, NISA are doing it but they took on some key staff that worked on Mask of Truth/Deception

We'll have to see how these work out

Started Tactics Ogre again. Forgot how tough it is where they send undead troops after you in the early game who resurrect in 3 turns!

Also noticed that Kingdom Hearts 3 is out and yet nobody is talking about it.

I think this backs up my theory that nobody is talking about it because fans of Kingdom Hearts have never actually played the games. If they actually played the games they wouldn't be fans.

I think this backs up my theory that nobody is talking about it because fans of Kingdom Hearts have never actually played the games. If they actually played the games they wouldn't be fans.

That's delusional no offence, there no reason to like kingdom hearts outside of the games themselves.

I'm not talking about it because the first one came out when I was like 12 and there's no way I'm going through 15 years of side games to catch up. I beat maybe 4 games a year at this stage so my habits just don't match up anymore with what would be required to get back into it.

• Advertisement

Started Tactics Ogre again. Forgot how tough it is where they send undead troops after you in the early game who resurrect in 3 turns!

None of us are talking about it but you keep bringing it up :pac: :p:D

Back playing Valkyria Chronicles on the Switch now after picking up 4 in the sale. Loving the first one, reckon I'm about halfway through. Boss fight on Chapter 7 was tough.

SEGA are doing a survey on what games people want to see from them in the future https://games.sega.com/survey/

If you guys want more Valkyria Chronicles or Skies of Arcadia or Shining or Phantasy star or anything, let them know. I'm also hoping they bring the next Sakura Wars to the west
    Back playing Valkyria Chronicles on the Switch now after picking up 4 in the sale. Loving the first one, reckon I'm about halfway through. Boss fight on Chapter 7 was tough.

Well done getting past it, that battle is pretty infamous for striking fear in people

Sieghardt wrote: »
    SEGA are doing a survey on what games people want to see from them in the future https://games.sega.com/survey/

If you guys want more Valkyria Chronicles or Skies of Arcadia or Shining or Phantasy star or anything, let them know. I'm also hoping they bring the next Sakura Wars to the west

Well done getting past it, that battle is pretty infamous for striking fear in people

It took ages but think I got it on second try. On Chapter 12 now so hopefully complete it over the weekend and take a quick break and get stuck into VC4.

Unlocked the Caution Order last night which makes levels I would have had trouble with before laughably easy and doable in max 2 turns. Turns Scouts into beasts that can just run through hails of bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/Persona_Central/status/1109017317281677314

More info on Persona 5 R should be out tomorrow

• Advertisement

Hoping for a switch and PC version. Would also be nice if they put it on Xbox as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ERG89 wrote: »
    More info on Persona 5 R should be out tomorrow

To save people watching it the trailer confirms Persona 5 R stood for Persona 5 - The Royal, looks to feature a female protagonist and more info April 24th.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

ERG89 wrote: »

To save people watching it the trailer confirms Persona 5 R stood for Persona 5 - The Royal, looks to feature a female protagonist and more info April 24th.....
    Some comments pointing out they're a year lower and doesn't like phantom thieves but dunno if the translation is right. It's a long wait :(

I really want a Fem MC but if the PT are already operating then might not look good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My other guess was
    Lucifer/Hikaru
    like in SMT IV

Its a new game I take it?

Finished Valkyria Chronicles last night, great game. Enjoyed the story, nice little Band of Brothers vibe to it and the music fits it perfectly. Some of the later levels were a bit of a slog and some of the mechanics weren't very well explained but super game over all.
    Scouts get fairly OP late game once you have certain orders unlocked and some of the levels can be fairly cheesed. Tendency to think of the most laborious route from A to B using different classes and then find out I can just tank up my scout and run through a hail of fire and shoot the boss square in the puss :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Finished Valkyria Chronicles last night, great game. Enjoyed the story, nice little Band of Brothers vibe to it and the music fits it perfectly. Some of the later levels were a bit of a slog and some of the mechanics weren't very well explained but super game over all.
    Scouts get fairly OP late game once you have certain orders unlocked and some of the levels can be fairly cheesed. Tendency to think of the most laborious route from A to B using different classes and then find out I can just tank up my scout and run through a hail of fire and shoot the boss square in the puss :)

VC4 is exactly the same btw. Great game but the same flaws with mission layout, enemy AI and stuff not being explained.

penev10 wrote: »
    VC4 is exactly the same btw. Great game but the same flaws with mission layout, enemy AI and stuff not being explained.

I still really enjoyed it apart from those minor niggles. Picked up VC4 in the sale last week and looking forward to getting stuck into that but gonna take a bit of a break from the franchise first for a few weeks.

Bought and started playing SMT IV despite owning a bunch of 3DS games already and I'm glad a did. Enjoying so far despite dying quite a bit. Its not that big a deal since you can save anywhere.

Its also not a cheap feeling as I thought it was going to be even though its all sprites for battle. They make good use of effects to make things feel exciting.

I loved SMT4. The soundtrack is a real standout. My only issue is it gets too easy after an initial challenging start but that might just be being familiar with the series as smt3 wasn't as bad as people said for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement