Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser hair removal

Options
  • 28-02-2019 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi ladies,

I know this has been discussed before but the most recent thread I could find is 3 years old.

I am seriously considering getting my bikini area lasered. I have only ever used Veet down there, too scared to shave and too embarrassed to go to a salon for a wax (although I'll have to get over that with the laser).

I'm very overweight so even more self-conscious. Is there anyone else here who is overweight and has had it done? How was it for you? Do you think they would have experience of doing it on overweight women? (Sorry if the last question offends, but I just have this idea that only pretty skinny minnies get things like this done)

Last question, any recommendations of where to get it done? I keep seeing an ad on Facebook for Sensius in Swords or Jervis shopping centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Hi Monife,

I've recently had my first session with Urbana, like yourself I was really anxious about it as I've never had a wax or any professional grooming down there and I'm a curvy girl as well. I had full hollywood, full leg, armpit and lip done.
    In terms of feeling vulnerable about your weight, I can definitely relate. I had to take off everything from the waist down but was able to keep a vest on which helped as I would be v conscious about my middle.
    In terms of being exposed! I really needn't have worried, my therapist was absolutely lovely and professional and I could tell that it was all part of a day's work. I mentioned that I'd never braved getting as much as a bikini line wax before and she said she sees more bikini areas than anything else in the salon. She didn't bat an eye getting in there and using proper terminology etc which really put me at ease.
    At the end of the day, you don't know your therapist personally, so even if you are embarrassed, you can power through your appointment and then completely put it out of your mind forever more (or for 6 weeks anyway!)

I spent ages researching salons online and asking friends their opinions, so for me, I felt that Urbana had the best reviews and went with them, they seem to have the most consistently good reviews. I would definitely recommend them if you're anywhere near Dublin or Drogheda. You can get money off for using a referral, happy to give you my name in PM for €10 off your first treatment.

Finally I must say, I was really pleased with myself for going! For the results, for getting over my nerves, and for spending a little on myself, as I so rarely spend money on treatments etc. Felt v fab glam after it!

Go for it - an hour after your appointment your therapist will have forgotten about you and be working on somebody else's bikini area, and you will be excited for some great results. Treat ya'self girl :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Thank you so much for responding, your post has given me a boost of confidence. Yes, please PM me, I would love the referral.

I remember Urbana coming up in previous research so I will have another look at them and research it properly again :)

It's something I've wanted for a while so think I'm going to bite the bullet soon!

I will do absolutely. Definitely go for it I say. I felt exactly the same before I bit the bullet - I'm always weirded out by people touching me, say getting facials etc never mind private areas! Kind of a personal space thing I guess, and weight consciousness - eg I'd never go and get a spray tan. But it was totally fine and I have to say I would feel a lot more comfortable now getting other things done as this went so well. If I can, you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

What's your hair v skin colouring? Laser works best on dark hair growing on light skin. If you've fair hair or are very dark skinned, you likely won't get the results you want. I could have had my entire body lasered ten times over for the money I've spent on waxing over the years but unfortunately I'm too fair to be a good candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Dial Hard wrote: »
    What's your hair v skin colouring? Laser works best on dark hair growing on light skin. If you've fair hair or are very dark skinned, you likely won't get the results you want. I could have had my entire body lasered ten times over for the money I've spent on waxing over the years but unfortunately I'm too fair to be a good candidate.

My hair is brown, probably medium although has lightened a bit from getting it dyed. Was light brown when I was a child. However down there, it's quite dark. I used to have quite sallow skin but not anymore, quite pale, although definitely not snow white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

The Cool wrote: »
    Hi Monife,

I've recently had my first session with Urbana, like yourself I was really anxious about it as I've never had a wax or any professional grooming down there and I'm a curvy girl as well. I had full hollywood, full leg, armpit and lip done.
    In terms of feeling vulnerable about your weight, I can definitely relate. I had to take off everything from the waist down but was able to keep a vest on which helped as I would be v conscious about my middle.
    In terms of being exposed! I really needn't have worried, my therapist was absolutely lovely and professional and I could tell that it was all part of a day's work. I mentioned that I'd never braved getting as much as a bikini line wax before and she said she sees more bikini areas than anything else in the salon. She didn't bat an eye getting in there and using proper terminology etc which really put me at ease.
    At the end of the day, you don't know your therapist personally, so even if you are embarrassed, you can power through your appointment and then completely put it out of your mind forever more (or for 6 weeks anyway!)

I spent ages researching salons online and asking friends their opinions, so for me, I felt that Urbana had the best reviews and went with them, they seem to have the most consistently good reviews. I would definitely recommend them if you're anywhere near Dublin or Drogheda. You can get money off for using a referral, happy to give you my name in PM for €10 off your first treatment.

Finally I must say, I was really pleased with myself for going! For the results, for getting over my nerves, and for spending a little on myself, as I so rarely spend money on treatments etc. Felt v fab glam after it!

Go for it - an hour after your appointment your therapist will have forgotten about you and be working on somebody else's bikini area, and you will be excited for some great results. Treat ya'self girl :cool:

Hiya, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread but was just curious how you prep for your bikini laser? Did you just shave or can you use Veet? I got my legs done years ago and thinking of getting the courage up for bikini line but not sure yet.

Thanks!

Hiya, hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread but was just curious how you prep for your bikini laser? Did you just shave or can you use Veet? I got my legs done years ago and thinking of getting the courage up for bikini line but not sure yet.

Thanks!

They tell you to shave, I don't know if Veet is allowed, you'd have to ask when booking your consultation, I'd say maybe if you normally Veet you might be ok but you probably wouldn't want to chance anything you might take a reaction to.

So they get you to come in for a consult first and they want you to have a couple days of hair growth there so they can have a look at what you hair is like and if you're a candidate. In the consult I was able to just pull down the front of my pants and she looked at the hair and did a patch test on the very top of where my hair is.
    Then, for your actual laser appointment, they ask you to do a proper close shave the day before, so you have a fresh shave but not as fresh as that morning, so your skin isn't too sensitive either. Urbana have some info about this on their website and how to do it properly but you need to get properly in there with your razor. For the laser there needs to be hair in the follicle but not out onto the skin if you get me, so that the laser will really get down into the follicle etc.
    I obvs showered before leaving the house and brought wipes with me and nipped into the bathroom before my appointment but when I went into the room first they had a pack of wipes and towels laid out there anyway so it was grand!
    I was really nervous as I've never had a bikini wax or anything before but my therapist was lovely and it was grand :) back in two weeks for my second session.

Advertisement