Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me about your contraceptive of choice!

Options
  • 25-02-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭

I've been off hormonal contraceptives for a few years and I'm thinking about a new method of contraception and I'd love to get some ideas and feedback on other peoples experience.

Up until I took a break (probably in 2014/15) I had been on some form of hormonal contraception from the time I was 17 (14 years).

I've used Microlite, jasmine, cerazette (hell!) and the nuvaring. The nuvaring was amazing and by far my fave. I have had non aura migraine occasionally (not in any way most likely unrelated to my cycle as they're very infrequent, maybe twice/3 times a year) however as I'm now over 35 and have that migraine history I'm worried a Dr won't prescribe me the nuvaring. So I have to think about my other options, given my hellish experience with cerazette the idea of a progestin only pill seems horrendous, not to mention something like the implant (at least I can just stop taking a pill if it has negative effects). I've read some shocking reviews of the copper coil which have scared the crap out of me!!

What are your experiences with the copper coil or other forms of contraception? I'm not looking for medical advice, I've an appointment booked with the well woman clinic but I just wanted to get some ideas from other people (all my friends are trying to have kids so can't volunteer any useful info!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The snip. Best contraceptive ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

eviltwin wrote: »
    The snip. Best contraceptive ever.

I wish!! we're not there yet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Condoms with cycle tracking and a vasectomy are the other ones on there we've used.

As you're over 35, and pregnancy is on the cards shortly, then I'd go with cycle tracking app and condoms, or your previous methods (Nuvaring / daily pill)

Coil, implant etc are all more awkward to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Depo Provera injection every twelve weeks I found to be great. No complications with it.

pwurple wrote: »

As you're over 35, and pregnancy is on the cards shortly, then I'd go with cycle tracking app and condoms,

This is actually what I'm doing right now, but pregnancy is not on the cards for me ever! I need that extra layer of security to make sure it never happens!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mirena IUS. Getting it inserted is uncomfortable and it might be a pricy outlay, but I’ve had years of no periods, no side effects, never having to think about contraception... it has been glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've tried various pills as well as the mini-pill, all had negative effects on my mental and physical health. I hate condoms, they've never been an option for me in a long-term relationship.

I got the Mirena coil in over a year ago. It involved two GP visits; one to get some swabs done to check for infections etc. Then on the second visit, it was put in. The procedure took less than 5 minutes. Awkward and uncomfortable, but only painful for a moment (heavy cramping pain; nothing unbearable.) I've had absolutely no trouble with it. I'm never aware of it, although I should mention I've been single since before getting it in, I don't expect any problems during sex though. My periods are getting gradually further apart and lighter, with no cramps or PMS.

I'd totally recommend it - however I'd also strongly recommend attending a GP practice where they've substantial experience inserting them. Damage can be caused if someone isn't sure of what they're doing when putting it in, and it's not a part of your body you want to take any chances with!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

+1 for the IUD TB, I’ve written about my experience with it in this forum previously. Insertion is a bit uncomfortable but once it’s in it’s basically the most safe reliable form of contraception. There’s different types- Mirena is the most well known (5 years, hormonal) but you can also get a copper coil (5-7 years IIRC, non hormonal) or a mini IUD. I have the latter- Skyla/Jaydess is the name and it’s good for 3 years. I’m at the end of mine in the coming weeks actually. Just do some research- if you are happy to stay on hormones then at least the IUD localizes them. Mirena and Jaydess are know to stop periods or massively lighten them too (I’m still stuck with periods but they’re much lighter). Paraguard the copper one is non hormonal but can make periods heavier and more painful for some women. Happy to answer any qs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Oh and also +1 on what Forewa said above - a well woman clinic or similar where women’s reproductive health is their main concern is likely to have more experience than your local GP. A well practiced insertion is much easier on you. I think I had to wait 2 weeks for sex after insertion but apart from a poke at some angles, it’s never been an issue. Even at that, it was only for the first month or so while the strings “softened”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Contraception is such an individual thing - so it's hard to say what works. I've been on Microlite for nearly 20 years, with zero complications. My periods have become practically non-existent over the past 5 years or so. It's been as easy as cake for me over those years.

The only disruption I experienced was when a locum GP thought I should switch to another pill. I think she prescribed me Cerazette. It was a disaster, my skin broke out and took about 6 months to calm down. Within 2 months, I was back at my GP, and was put back on Microlite lickety split.

I am getting older (40 last year), and there are concerns about older women continuing on pills like Microlite. However, my doctor is happy that I'm healthy and happy, and she'd rather that I stay with something that works, rather than change. For now at least.

• Advertisement

Thanks ladies, I think I might look into the mirena or one of the other coils keeping it as a backup option and just hope that the doc is happy to put me back on the nuavring. With both being localised hormone delivery methods I defo think they suit me better than an actual pill.
    I'll 100% be heading to the well woman clinic, I don't trust the GP's in my practice after a pretty rough smear a few years ago. In the well woman I barely notice by comparison!

Advertisement