Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning the Poppy - A thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What have nappies got to do with anything?

Fixed, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I dislike the whole poppy thing because it’s used by scummy people to celebrate the brutality of British forces over ordinary folk in places like NI.

However, I see it’s important to some people and wouldn’t condone burning it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

_Brian wrote: »
    I dislike the whole poppy thing because it’s used by scummy people to celebrate the brutality of British forces over ordinary folk in places like NI.

However, I see it’s important to some people and wouldn’t condone burning it either.

No need to burn but no need to shove down everyone throats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Edgware wrote: »
    The bottom line is that without the sacrifice of thousands of young British, American and Russian soldiers we would be living under Nazi rule.

Even if they won WW2, the Nazis wouldn't have been able to sustain it more than a few years. The German nation can only stretch so far. Worldwide Guerrilla warfare would have put a stop to the Nazis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Damien360 wrote: »
    Wearing the poppy in the UK is approaching cult status. Woe betide anyone that fails to follow the cult and show their allegiance.

I thought it was changed to James McClean day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

But it wasn't Kelvin I was referring, it was the guy who drove up, with the racing helmet on, in full racing gear, to give him the trophy that was wearing it.

I'd expect Kelvin, the contestant, to have one visible all the, he is lots of air time.
    But the other guy was just on for 5 seconds.

Oh yeah the teammate. Like I said, poppy is part of every costume this weekend. It's not surprising. Makes sense to just make sure nobody can forget their poppy. As long as nobody is forced to wear it, what's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,007 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Oh yeah the teammate. Like I said, poppy is part of every costume this weekend. It's not surprising. Makes sense to just make sure nobody can forget their poppy. As long as nobody is forced to wear it, what's the issue?

I suppose.
    The wardrobe people will know how many individual consumes they need, whether that be a tuxedo or racing gear, and they then make sure they have a poppy for each one, whether that poppy ends up being worn or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Even if they won WW2, the Nazis wouldn't have been able to sustain it more than a few years. The German nation can only stretch so far. Worldwide Guerrilla warfare would have put a stop to the Nazis.
    Thats ok so. But then our own brave I.R.A. lads under Sean Russell were prepared to collaborate with the Nazis so we would be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

NIMAN wrote: »
    DM stuck for stories to be outraged about?

Don't be silly...the Daily Mail is never stuck for something to be outraged about. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

This sums up the madness of quite a few:

Dqv7TTMX4AAhqhs.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Only thing that bothers me is when I see Irish politicans like Neil Richmond wearing it, it's a British tradition so let him fook off over there and put it on if he wants to.

As for the subject of the thread she sound like a posh little rich kid who was looking for her few minutes of fame, sounds like it backfired on her though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

David Squires predicted something similar in 2015. I don't know if anyone imagined something that level would come to pass...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/picture/2015/nov/10/david-squires-on-football-and-remembrance-day#img-1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Edgware wrote:
    The bottom line is that without the sacrifice of thousands of young British, American and Russian soldiers we would be living under Nazi rule.

Without the sacrifice of thousands of young British soldiers we would be living in a 32 county Republic speaking our own language with a much larger population not decimated by the great hunger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

And Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Came across this on Twitter.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7664271/Outrage-video-young-woman-burning-poppy-emerges-ahead-Remembrance-Sunday.html

I've found it fascinating, for a number of reasons.

I think she shouldn't have.

You?

#sexchat

That link gave me cancer.

Irish, NZ, Australian, Chinese, Polish, Canadian etc etc

Really this statement shows you haven’t a clue about the World War.....

To me the poppy represents those who died for our freedom, no matter what army or what war. That freedom allowed this uainseach do what she did. I hope that she’s proud of what she’ll be remembered for.

To me the poppy represents those who died for our freedom, no matter what army or what war. That freedom allowed this uainseach do what she did. I hope that she’s proud of what she’ll be remembered for.

It also stand for the British Empire which decided who and when they wanted to invade countries and kill people.....for no reason apart from greed

Most recent been Iraq when they made up stories with the US to get the war approved which has since been proved as illegal, this was nothing to do with freedom, it was to get their hands on oil

Thats ok so. But then our own brave I.R.A. lads under Sean Russell were prepared to collaborate with the Nazis so we would be safe.

Give over with this spectacularly historically illiterate comedy session. Your heroic British state was collaborating with Nazi Germany for a full 6 years before it decided, in September 1939, to finally grow a pair of balls and stand up to it. Of course, to the British in the 1930s the greater evil was communism so supporting Nazi Germany was good because it was a bulwark against the spread of communism. You don't hear them justifying it like that now, however.

This collaboration, by the way, survived the establishment of the first Nazi concentration camps (in March 1933) - inspired by the British concentrations camps during the Second Boer War (1899-1902) - and the Nuremberg Laws against Jews. In the same year as the latter, 1935, the British decided to stab the French in the back and smash the Stresa Front against Nazi Germany by signing the Anglo-German Naval Agreement so that Britain could profit from Nazi rearmament. Then the British selling out the Austrians, Czechs and all the rest. Not to mention its refusal at the Evian Conference (1938) to take more Jewish refugees...

And you think you can deflect from this staggering British state collaboration with Nazi Germany by pointing at the ineffably insignificant actions of Russell? The Union Jack blinkers are heavy there.

• Advertisement

So, if it's just out of respect for their resistance to Nazism why don't you wear a Russian symbol of commemoration given that the British contribution to defeating Nazism was small - total British Empire deaths were about one-fiftieth, c. 450,000, of the USSR deaths of 25 million people, for instance - compared to the USSR contribution? Hmmm.

Indeed, as some 800,000 Greeks died in WWII you could also wear whatever they wear with more justification than you could use the British poppy (a British imperialist symbol which, lest we forget, explicitly commemorates everybody who fought for the British Empire, including in the centuries-long subjugation of the Irish people).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Her trolling worked a little too well.

Such ignorant rubbish. The poppy is a unique British symbol designed to commemorate only those who died for the British Empire in all wars by that Empire, including the subjugation of the Irish for centuries. No other state outside of their Empire/Commonwealth wear it. Why can't you even get the basic facts correct?

Cazale wrote: »
    Without the sacrifice of thousands of young British soldiers we would be living in a 32 county Republic speaking our own language with a much larger population not decimated by the great hunger.

Touché. Game, set and match with that truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Agus bheimís go leir ag labhairt Gearmáinis mar dhea? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Give over with this spectacularly historically illiterate comedy session. Your heroic British state was collaborating with Nazi Germany for a full 6 years before it decided, in September 1939, to finally grow a pair of balls and stand up to it. Of course, to the British in the 1930s the greater evil was communism so supporting Nazi Germany was good because it was a bulwark against the spread of communism. You don't hear them justifying it like that now, however.

This collaboration, by the way, survived the establishment of the first Nazi concentration camps (in March 1933) - inspired by the British concentrations camps during the Second Boer War (1899-1902) - and the Nuremberg Laws against Jews. In the same year as the latter, 1935, the British decided to stab the French in the back and smash the Stresa Front against Nazi Germany by signing the Anglo-German Naval Agreement so that Britain could profit from Nazi rearmament. Then the British selling out the Austrians, Czechs and all the rest. Not to mention its refusal at the Evian Conference (1938) to take more Jewish refugees...

And you think you can deflect from this staggering British state collaboration with Nazi Germany by pointing at the ineffably insignificant actions of Russell? The Union Jack blinkers are heavy there.

Jesus, calm down, dude. It’s only a thread on a silly website. You’ll give yourself a hernia or irritable bowel syndrome or something.

I hope history isn’t a hobby of yours. You are so ideologically blinkered and bigoted that any attempts at analysis or nuance would be a complete folly.

Such ignorant rubbish. The poppy is a unique British symbol designed to commemorate only those who died for the British Empire in all wars by that Empire, including the subjugation of the Irish for centuries. No other state outside of their Empire/Commonwealth wear it. Why can't you even get the basic facts correct?

But, it originated in France!

But, it originated in France!

Here we go again with the ignorance. The French remembrance symbol:

Bleuet_de_France

15437223d625f75996857482d726170020660548_field_mise_en_avant_principale_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jesus, calm down, dude. It’s only a thread on a silly website. You’ll give yourself a hernia or irritable bowel syndrome or something.

I hope history isn’t a hobby of yours. You are so ideologically blinkered and bigoted that any attempts at analysis or nuance would be a complete folly.

lack of nuance aka "You're facts are too facty"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

In 2159 will people still be wearing the poppy?

I get the remembrance thing and even learning a new generation that we should never let history repeat itself.

But there comes a time when it's healthier for people just to move on. There's no disrespect intended but even the survivors of war kept as much as possible away from their family so that they could grow up without knowing and not be tainted by the true horrors of war and man's inhumanity to man.

Advertisement