Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clay Farm, Leopardstown, Dublin 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Newhomehunter1

EamonnW09 wrote: »
    I will most likely be looking elsewhere at this point. €650k to live adjacent to a recycling plant and electricity station is madness, but I guess these are the time we live in!

Please do not demean the ones who have already brought a house here. If you are not interested feel free to unfollow the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kooreczka

Is there anyone on here living in the apartments in Clay Farm? Were the floors included? How long did it take from viewing until getting the keys? Would really appreciate any information. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

For anyone living in the apts, what are they like in terms of noise, can you hear the neighbours etc?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 decorfali9

Hi all.

I'd like to understand as precisely as possible how the cabled internet is laid out. Anyone from phase 1/2 houses knows this?

I went to do my snagging and didn't have a tool to open the cabled plates by the wall but I could make a good educated guess of how this is setup. One of the wall plates in the living room on the corner nearest to the front door was exposed. I could see CAT6 cable going there. I see a similar looking plate the smaller bedroom (Fern), so I'd assume cable going there as well. Finally, I saw another of such plates labled "Data" on the utiliy room next to the back door to the garden (plus another called "TV"; is this for aerial or for coax going to the TV?). One would assume that some main line from the outside brings your internet service to the utility room and that's where your router/switch goes to get your internet service routed to the living room/bedroom. This means that the internet provider doesn't need any new drilling/cables, which was the point with Siro. All they need to do is to install the modem/router by the utility room. Can someone confirm this?

I'd be looking to lay out additional cable to the other 2 bedrooms (possibly even to add redundancy to some of the bedrooms for home office setup). Anyone has done this? AFAIK this is trivial whenever the main line from the outside goes to the attic, because you're free to run lenghts of cable through the attic space and downwards through each wall cavity. In this case though I'm guessing the small bedroom is the only one with cable because it is the one directly above the utility room. Can't imagine it'll be easy to run cable across the entire house to get form the utility room "diagonally" to the other 2 bedrooms. Unless cable is run from the utility room into the attic and then down into each room again?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EamonnW09

EamonnW09 wrote: »
    I will most likely be looking elsewhere at this point. €650k to live adjacent to a recycling plant and electricity station is madness, but I guess these are the time we live in!

Please do not demean the ones who have already brought a house here. If you are not interested feel free to unfollow the thread
    Im in no way demeaning anyone, and in no way intended to. I am merely stating a fact. I’ve absolutely no problem with the fact that there is an electrical station and recycling plant nearby (if I did I wouldn’t have been looking to spend €600k on a house here) but there’s no question that these along with other factors are why these houses have been so affordable for so many vs other new builds in South Dublin.

I have been following this thread for quite some time and have quite a bit of vested interest in Clay Farm and still could so I’ll keep following thanks.

If you’ve a problem with a couple of facts then feel free to not to read my reply’ and all the best with your new home.

P.s. there’s about 5 pages on this thread about peoples issues with the electrical station so you may want to stay clear of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mcastrobruno

Does anyone put a deposit for Oak Hall?
    I'm worried about the ESB substation noise, what is your thinking about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kooreczka

Does anyone put a deposit for Oak Hall?
    I'm worried about the ESB substation noise, what is your thinking about this?

We have. To be honest I don't think there is much noise coming from there. There are 3 more buildings closer to it and some houses and apartment we booked is on the other side of the building. Have you put deposit down as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mcastrobruno

kooreczka wrote: »
    We have. To be honest I don't think there is much noise coming from there. There are 3 more buildings closer to it and some houses and apartment we booked is on the other side of the building. Have you put deposit down as well?

I did.
    I went there yesterday and I could hear some very very low noise when I was in front of the building, It’s likely to not to be heard from inside de building.

What unit have you put the deposit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RockIT

Has anyone who paid booking deposit for Oak hall received the contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KG_2020

Hi all,
    I just wondering to know if the clay farm houses and apartments the whole complex will have its own gates and surrounded by walls as a court for more privacy

• Advertisement

KG_2020 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I just wondering to know if the clay farm houses and apartments the whole complex will have its own gates and surrounded by walls as a court for more privacy

There are some walls on the outside of the development separating the phase 1 from Ballyogan Rd but they are just a visual separation kind of thing. The rest of phase 2 houses and appartments have no such walls. In fact the entire development will be taken by the council when complete so it'll be public access roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Newbiehousehunt

Anyone have an update on the upcoming launch in September? Heard the mid-terraced 3 beds will be selling at mid 500's mark. Does anyone else think it is highly overpriced considering that the 3 beds are practically a 2 beds + 1 Study.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lapsang

Can anyone sum up the concerns regarding the ESB substation, the mobile phone tower, and the recycling center?

Not many options around to find a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

3 beds will be mid 500s and 4 beds will be mid to late 600s is what we’ve been told.

3 beds in phase 2 were 490k, so it looks like a potential price increase of about 60k plus losing out on the HTB scheme so an overall price increase of about 90k to the buyer 🤢

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tappat

Got similar price estimates, but launch will be late September/October.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 c00114110

Did anyone get more accurate figure for the prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

No, not a peep yet about the exact prices or release date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

That's quite the hike within a year, but I suppose not much of a hike in the overall scheme. If I remember right, the very first phase of houses (on the left as you come in) had the three bed mid terraces at 470k, and they went on sale in September 2017. Then when they moved to phase 1B and 1C those prices moved up to 490k - those were sold between February 2018 and June 2019. The prices have remained steady since then, as I think the developers were reluctant to price the three beds over the Help to Buy Scheme threshold.

It seems to be clear now that there's enough buyers who do not need access to the Help to Buy scheme - possibly from certain cohorts being able to save higher deposits during the pandemic - so the developers have upped the price of the cheapest three beds to 550k-ish.

So it's about a 15% hike over 3.5 years, or just under 4% a year. I'm not counting the hike between 470k and 490k, because the houses from the very first phase are closer to the ESB station, so were probably priced accordingly.

Now, I'm not saying the developers aren't making a decent wedge of profit on these sales. But I do know from builder/electrician friends that the price of raw materials has spiked, plus the cost of covid measures, and that has probably led to a jump in cost for the house build price. I doubt they're making much more of a profit after the price hike.

What I would want to ask the question on is.... Planning permission for Phase 2 of the estate was granted under the accelerated process. I was under the impression that the accelerated process was only for "affordable" housing. Now, we all know that the definition of "affordable" is murky at best, and in the DLR area "affordable" probably means a much higher price than other areas of the city/country. But surely pricing the cheapest houses outside of the Help to Buy scheme takes the estate out of the "affordable" category. Is there any definition, or guidance, given on what affordable means in any of the planning legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 commanjoe

None or very few I would say.

Firstly I don’t know what concerns anyone would have about the recycling center, it’s a recycling centre not a dump so everything is removed. If you’ve ever been in there it’s spotless and really well managed, on top of this it’s really far away from CF.

on radiation I think most links to any sort of harm have been debunked at this stage and are pretty tenuous. Also the insulation in the houses is so good people have difficulty getting signal at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 commanjoe

We have Virgin. They just connect outside the front door and this feeds directly to the utility room. The points in each room are fed from the utility so you can have your router wherever you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Very pricey when there are small 3 bed semis selling in the Gallops for 500k. Older houses granted but much more spaced out with front and back gardens and away from Dump/ESB substation and the spicier end of ballyogan road

Thanks for the response. Since I've written I managed to find out from a neighbour how it is setup. The tricky bit is that to allow for a single "main" line back to the utility room, while allowing both SIRO and non-SIRO providers, you have 2 lines coming into the house so you need to connect the right line from the outside to your main line, by connecting 2 cables with an RJ45 coupler. Otherwise the signal never gets to the utility room.

Another difficulty is, in my house at least, I see in the utility room 2 cables too many. Still trying to figure where each of them come from ^^U

• Registered Users Posts: 47 c00114110

About the recycling center, I found it is really convenience.

First, the recycling centre is well managed. It is very clean, things are organised brilliantly, alway have staff guide and observe people. It is a few mins drive distance to clay farm, make my live much easy. When we moved in, buying lots of thing and need to dump lots of things. It is so convenience to have a recycling centre nearby, I nearly went to there once a day for two weeks. Never have bad smell or anything make me unconformable in the centre. I actually glad it near to my house.

I agree. They only reason might be that those Gallops houses might be listed at 490/500 but might be selling for 10% more. You'd know from the property price register.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Got the email from Savilles a few days ago for the houses finally coming online. Viewings held from today. Prices have gone up to minimum of €535k for a 3-bed. I remember many months ago, the entire reason I was interested in this development was that one of the agents specifically called up to say they'd be releasing the next round in "the summer", and it was about the only property I could find in Dublin eligible for HTB (with the lower-end ones going for around €490k). I even specifically asked her on the phone about whether or not we could get HTB for them as this was a big selling point for us and she said that yes, the cheaper middle-units would be. I lobbied hard with my partner for us to wait for these to come around because it seemed like such a great opportunity and would save us so much money compared to what else was on the market.

Very glad I relented now though. Delivered way later than expected, and despite stupidly going and giving them our entire proof of funds many months ago, and registering to view just 3 minutes after the email was sent out (I checked the email timestamp after I finished my registration), I was promptly responded to and told that I did not even get a viewing because they were all booked. Honestly, I wasn't planning to go anyway and would have immediately cancelled to let someone else have it, as we have gone sale agreed elsewhere, just wanted to see if I could have.

Very glad I didn't wait for it now. I can't fathom what you would actually have to do to secure one of these considering the many efforts we went to to try and get our own foot in the door and staying in contact with the agent for months. Would have been sickened if we waited this long to find out we never had a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TVtomato

The sales people of Clay Farm are so bad! Absolutely horrendous! They cheat and lie about everything to get a house sold.

When you register you think it's a good way to establish type of friendly working relation with the frontline sales people. The thing is THEY DON'T GIVE A FXXK AT ALL! The people leading the sales team is called Darren. Haven't met one this bad for so long!

They have a noisy substation just next to the development. You could hear it houndreds of metres away. The afordable housing stands in the middle of the development. The biggest council estate is just across the road. Moreover there're more apartments in this development and the giant signal tower. The exterial design of these houses are as ugly as hell.

Buy ELSEWHERE!

If you don't like the look of the development then that's your personal taste. I have to say I find the look of the houses much nicer than the nearby Belarmine and certainly nicer than some of the older estates in Stillorgan. The houses are quite close together, but that's DLRR's fault, not the builders. Every new estate is going to have the density of Clay Farm, and every new estate is going to have more apartments than houses. That's the only way developments get approved nowadays. And on a bigger picture basis, I agree with it. We need a certain amount of units, whether that's apartments or houses, over the next ten years if we are to stem the rising prices.

The nearby ESB station is an eyesore, I don't disagree. We live about 400m back from it, and don't hear it at all - either inside or outside the house. But if you lived within 100m of it, you'd definitely hear the hum of it in your back garden. Yes, Ballyogan estate is not far up the road. We haven't found any unsociable behaviour within the estate as a result, but outside Spar/Dunnes can be not great after dark. I haven't experienced anything negative myself, but just the presence of gangs of teenagers can be a bit intimating.

You clearly have had a negative experience with the agents, and that has coloured your view of the estate. I suppose I came to the process with a very low expectation of how the estate agents would try to sell the houses (I mean, does anyone believe what they write on myhome.ie/the Clay Farm website? I've always taken those things as works of fiction) but I actually found Darren very personable and very decent to deal with, surprisingly for an estate agent. But I get it if you had a negative experience that can be really frustrating, especially in the current environment when supply of decent houses are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 googlewhack

+1 to the above. No noise from the substation in phase 2 at least and zero signs of anti social behaviour so far. The development is coming along quite nicely and offers quite a bit in terms of green space, transport links and location at the foot of the Dublin hills/ mountains. Like anywhere else it’s not perfect and yes it is expensive, but so is everywhere today.

Sorry to hear you had a poor experience with the estate agent. The lottery of viewings slots isn’t ideal or perhaps not fair. We had a mixed experience ourselves but got there in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TVtomato

If I were Park Developments, I would fire this agent, Savills, right way. How could you ask a bunch of monkies to run a project?

It's not easy for everybody to secure a house nowdays I understand. But to do a sales job and make somebody hate you, hate the products, they are quite something. You can feel the evil gushing from their veins. SO BAD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 cash4clothes

I am a resident in Clay Farm. I found Savill is very professional, So is Darren. Clay Farm has very limited supply for new homes, of course they cannot keep the huge demand from every purchasers. There are thousands of people registered, only 36 houses for sale!

Advertisement