Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Walrus

Options
  • 11-01-2021 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭

walrus-wear-headphone-enjoy-listen-music-vector-illustration-seal-canine-sea-lions-character-mascot.jpg

Welcome to Weekly Walrus!

Every Monday a song category will be chosen. Think of a song that fits that category and post a youtube video in the thread.

If you like a song, thank the post! If it's not your cup of tea, then don't!

The song with the most thanks by Sunday 8pm wins! The winner chooses the next category and so on. And obviously if someone else has posted your song already you'll have to choose a different one. The early walrus catches the clam :pac: Try not to pick the same artist as others too.

A lot of unrest in the world right now so this weeks category is...

A PROTEST SONG / SONG WITH A POLITICAL MESSAGE

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'll kick this shizazz off.

Eminem - White America

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Eddie Vedder: Masters Of War

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Might be worth sticking the name of the song in your post, it doesn't show on YouTube thumbnails (on the touch site anyway)

For example Shane, I could see that was RATM and for a second thought you'd picked Killing In The Name, and surely we don't allow cheat codes like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Evanescence - Use My Voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

For example Shane, I could see that was RATM and for a second thought you'd picked Killing In The Name, and surely we don't allow cheat codes like that :D
    Just thought of another song I heard recently so changing my song. My thread, my rules :P

Celeste - Hear My Voice

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Eminem - Mosh

Edit:woops didn't see Necro had Em, feck it im rolling with it!

This was on my category shortlist for when my turn come round in the full Walrus. Luckily I've got 27 other ones to call on :D

OK, hard to narrow it down but I'll go for Skunk Anansie - Little Baby Swastikkka, a song about brainwashing kids with racist ideologies

Their debut album was derided by some as being too political, leading to their second album opening with "Yes, It's Fücking Political" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

MediumHauntingCivet-small.gif

A Pink song that is actually decent :eek:
    Somebody fetch me the smelling salts...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

System Of A Down - Soldier Side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Nice idea, I'll keep it Irish with one of the greatest songs ever by an Irish band

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Bruce Springsteen - How Can A Poor Man Stand Such Times And Live. If you don't want to listen to Bruce giving the background to the song, skip to 1:57.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,377 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

billy joel, we didn't start the fire

Viva la Quinta Brigada - Christy Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Great idea Shane. Had a few in mind but went this one. Also think it is one of the best sample uses in any song.

2Pac - Changes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

System, of a Down - War?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

Great idea and really enjoyed listening to them all

I see we can multi-thank which is great as I would have struggled to pick just one

As much as I love Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder I really don't think that's a great song. It's probably hugely meaningful but just doesn't suit his voice in my opinion. I'd actually never heard it before.

Ghost Town just reminds me so much of Father Ted :D

Used to really like Evanesence back in the day but wasn't familiar with that track and it's a quality one I must say (my first thanks!)

Not a massive Eminem fan but Mosh is a decent track. Wasn't mad about the other entry

Love Weak by Skunk Anansie but Little Baby Swastika not for me

Stiff Little Fingers is one of my favourite songs by an Irish artist and I fully appreciate the message too which is lost on me in some of the songs

Christy Moore is someone I can take or leave but really enjoyed that track

2Pac is not my normal type of music at all but the lyrics resonate at the moment with the way the world is.

Good morning of listening!

My nomination, which I know won't win but is for a band I love listening to at the moment

Rise Against - Audience of One (Ghost Note Symphonies)

Just a note on the meaning of the song:

The music video features an eight-year-old boy who resembles George W. Bush playing with a miniature world, and throughout the video the boy plays with objects depicting high gas prices, the war in Iraq, the funeral of a soldier, Abu Ghraib prison, the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, deforestation, house foreclosures, gay marriage, and illegal immigration before going to bed in the White House. It also features Rise Against performing in a miniature White House lawn, which the boy smashes before the end of the video.

Eddie Vedder: Masters Of War

Great song but dreadful rendition. Awful diction.

Singing like he has a mouthful of marbles.

• Advertisement

I'm having a shït day at work which is probably why I'm being very harsh here, only two songs got my thanks

2pac, Changes - wouldn't have expected this. Not listened to much 2pac and rap isn't generally my bag but this is brilliant

War? SOAD - it felt like being pinned against the wall by my throat and shouted at. I think that's a good thing for a protest song!

I'll have another listen when I'm in a better mood, might spread the love a little more! :D

Youtube Music playlist, if anyone wants one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Some great songs indeed!

I will throw one in the mix too.
    The The-The Beat(en) Generation. Though written in the 80s I feel that it is very relevant in today's world.

Billy Joel taking an early lead on 9 votes!

A couple of others on 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Barry McGuire - Eve Of Destruction

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Might be worth throwing a link in the Walrus Sign-Ups thread Shane. I'd say there's a few regular Walrus-heads who might not play any of the other games, so only follow that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Gil Scott Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

War by Edwinn Starr

God Gawd Y'all.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Arghus wrote: »
    War by Edwinn Starr

God Gawd Y'all.

Very nearly chose that myself. Great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Zaph wrote: »
    Very nearly chose that myself. Great song.

Yup, a classic. The vocals are immense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

It just occurred to me that this could also be considered a Surlaw, as most votes win.
    Great idea of a game anyway Shane!!

Advertisement