Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Walrus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Irish Aris wrote: »
    It just occurred to me that this could also be considered a Surlaw, as most votes win
    On that subject (thanks Aris ;)), just one day left to join in the Lightning Surlaw - BBC Sound of 2021
    Reveal tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What happens if there's a tie at the end of the week? Quick Head-to-Head, most votes after x amount of hours type thing?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

What happens if there's a tie at the end of the week? Quick Head-to-Head, most votes after x amount of hours type thing?

Judges choice maybe?

Necro wrote: »
    Judges choice maybe?

Works in theory except in two scenarios...

The judge's song is one of the contenders tied and then they just vote for their own...

The person who set the category of the week has gone AWOL by the end of the week, leaving the game in limbo...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Quick fire tie breaker would be good, any poster who is online at that time could do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Works in theory except in two scenarios...

The judge's song is one of the contenders tied and then they just vote for their own...

The person who set the category of the week has gone AWOL by the end of the week, leaving the game in limbo...
    I think in scenario A it could be compulsory to pass on the baton

Scenario B is trickier. If they're awol for a while we could let the arbiter of truth decide, I'm always here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I think a quick fire head to head is the best approach. If it is tied after that, judge chooses, or as EN said, pass the baton if they are in contention.

Probably should also be an unwritten rule that you don't remove your thanks for tactical reasons.

Kolido wrote: »
    I think a quick fire head to head is the best approach. If it is tied after that, judge chooses, or as EN said, pass the baton if they are in contention.

Probably should also be an unwritten rule that you don't remove your thanks for tactical reasons.

Less keen on that last bit, think people should be able to remove their thanks as they see fit. For example if you thank the first song that gets posted, but then when the other songs come in you realise that the first song isn't as good by comparison, you don't want to be locked in to it. If you're not able to remove thanks it'll probably prevent people from thanking in the first place if they know they can't change their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Less keen on that last bit, think people should be able to remove their thanks as they see fit. For example if you thank the first song that gets posted, but then when the other songs come in you realise that the first song isn't as good by comparison, you don't want to be locked in to it. If you're not able to remove thanks it'll probably prevent people from thanking in the first place if they know they can't change their mind.

But if you like the song, you like it and you can still like the songs after that, right?
    Anyway, I have been in my usual "Paula Abdul" mode and liked most of the songs, so I'm not sure if I should be talking about it :D

I get what you're saying, but I think you either like a song or you don't. I wasn't comparing each song with the others. At the end of the day, the song with the most thanks, wins. Thats just how I would do it, happy to go along with what everyone else agrees on though.

• Advertisement

I suppose I'm different in that I can initially think something is good, but go off it on repeated listens, and conversely think something is rubbish but then listen to it again and it has grown on me. I presumed that was the same with everyone, but perhaps I'm the minority though.

I suppose I'm different in that I can initially think something is good, but go off it on repeated listens, and conversely think something is rubbish but then listen to it again and it has grown on me. I presumed that was the same with everyone, but perhaps I'm the minority though.

Nah thats fair enough, it is probably unfair to tie people to a song. I didn't really get the idea of comparing songs though. Removing thanks for tactical reasons is kind of bad form though. For example, I think I'm tied with Yosser currently, I thanked his songs as I really like it. If the scores remain the same, I wouldn't remove my thanks to win outright

Nah thats fair enough, it is probably unfair to tie people to a song. I didn't really get the idea of comparing songs though. Removing thanks for tactical reasons is kind of bad form though. For example, I think I'm tied with Yosser currently, I thanked his songs as I really like it. If the scores remain the same, I wouldn't remove my thanks to win outright

Yeah, I agree with that. Should be some sort of honour code involved there.

Maybe comparing was a bad analogy for me to use initially, I think I meant more of the changing my opinion on repeated listens... brains not working at full capacity today... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,353 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Sorry for the late entry, really hectic couple of weeks in work and only catching up now.

Michael Jackson - They Don't Care About Us

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Great idea Shane. Had a few in mind but went this one. Also think it is one of the best sample uses in any song.

2Pac - Changes

This week's winner is Kolido with 12 votes! It's your turn to pick the category for next week

Thanks everyone for voting for my nomination. Some cracking tunes last week.

Probably no big surprise that Im a fan of the 80s, I've run enough tournaments on it. I also love a good power ballad and what better decade for them.

So folks, this weeks category is 80s POWER BALLADS

Def Leppard - Love Bites

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Nice category! Love a power ballad, will go with

Every Rose has its Thorn - Poison

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Night Ranger - Sister Christian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Valentine - You'll Always Have Me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah, this round would make you nostalgic for pre Covid times.

Singin' cheese at three in the morning. With other people. Plastered drunk.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Bon Jovi: Wanted Dead Or Alive

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Final Countdown - Europe

Aka Sports Stadium soundtrack from my childhood (showing my age here!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Foreigner - I want to know what love is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Gary Moore & Phil Lynott: Out In The Fields

• Registered Users Posts: 30,353 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

John Farnham - You're The Voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I'm not going to nominate a song this week, I will just vote for everything that is nominated.

What an amazing category, thanks Kolido!!

Advertisement