Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I am the Necrus - Walrus Reveal Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

good show. good show

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In 8th place with 16 points
    fixXxer
    The Futureheads - The Hounds of Love

This is a really fun entry and track overall. Also some large elements of pop music in this imo, probably why it appeals to me a lot. And I am specifically mentioning this as it will drive the entrant mad :pac::pac:

In JOINT 7th place, with 17 points each:
    S1ippy

&

RasTa
    Johnny Cash – Hurt

If I’m being honest, this song and Disturbed’s The Sound of Silence were the main songs in mind when creating this category. It’s a modern day classic by a legend. I’ve absolutely worn out the CD I have this on mind, so familiarity causes it to drop a few places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Entering Hurt by Johnny Cash is just cheating. :P

Reberetta wrote: »
    Entering Hurt by Johnny Cash is just cheating. :P

Maybe not in the grandest sense but it's certainly impossible to low score it :D

• Advertisement

In 5th place, scoring 18 points
    Arghus

Orville Peck - Smalltown Boy

This absolute classic remade by a country artist… you think this is going to go badly but it’s incredible imo. Great entry and going straight onto my favourites list.

I bet somebody submitted the 21st century re-issue of Bohemian Rhapsody from a Queen Greatest Hits collection released in Papua New Guinea next. :P

In 4th Place, with 19 points…
    The purple tin

Old Crow Medicine Show: Wagon Wheel

I am 100% certain by the end of this round there will be some of you that are rolling your eyes and wondering what the hell I’m playing at but I don’t even care.

Wagon Wheel is a stone cold classic. I’d love nothing more than to be in a pub absolutely belting it out right now. So nostalgia wins, and this song from tpt gets 19 points :)

And so we come to our remaining 6 (again). Nervous times for…
    Rikand
    Gru
    Irish Aris
    Clarabel
    Mustang shelly
    Sawduck

d45f066c72f358840fd550c28989bb4e.gif

In 20th place with 5 points:
    Irish Aris

Kid Moxie-Big In Japan

Sorry
    Aris
    , I really wanted to like this song. It builds up so well but the chorus just lacks the ‘ooomph’ I thought the song deserved. She builds it up fantastically but just… goes nowhere with it. The singer clearly has the chops to give it socks for the ‘Big In Japan’ too so it just left me confused.
    Sort of like my first time seeing a girl naked :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I think my song will be bottom 3,it was the one I had least amount of faith in

In 3rd place with 20 points…

Gru

Weezer - Everybody wants to rule the world

Ah I mean the original is a stone cold classic. And I like that Weezer don’t mess with that too much, in fact it’s an incredible cover. Fab pick.

In 21st place with 4 points:

Sawduck

Bella Wagner - Putting out Fire (Cat People)

Erm… well… it was nice till they started singing? I’m trying to be objective here. Sorry dude. I hated this. Apologies to the Cat People. This just freaked me out. And THEN I watched the video :eek:

In 2nd place with 21 points:

Mustang Shelly

Bad Wolves - Zombie

This is an incredible cover and tribute to Dolores O’Riordan. Second podium place for shelly and this song was so close to topping the pile, just pushed out in the end though. Still… this is amazing. Just listen to it and judge yourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Wait. What. Where's my song. Did you toss it out

Did I miss it?

In 22nd place with 3 points:
    Clarabel

Insomnia Monster Mix – Faithless

Someone taking their Monster playlist a little too literally. I’m not sure it’s quite in keeping with the theme of the round, it’s basically just a remix. Plus – and I cannot stress this enough – it’s 8 minutes long. The first 2 mins and 40 seconds of which are just the first two beats over and over again. So yeah… bottom it is unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Clarabel

There we go!
    Delighted!!!

Bella Wagner video and music was very arty and interesting all round. How can you not appreciate a singing mermaid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Clarabel wrote: »
    There we go!
    Delighted!!!

Delighted you came last? :confused:

Which means our third 1st place and 22 points goes to
    Rikand

Scooter : The Logical Song

I’ll just quote the PM the entrant sent to me in relation to this:
    “I suppose it depends on how much you like the original. Some would say Scooter killed it. I, on the other hand, say that he killed it!!!”

I can only concur with the latter. It’s the soundtrack of my youth, dingy clubs and old battered cars driving them around like we were Colin McRae or some other famous driving guys. And I can totally understand why some may dislike it. I just don’t care :D

Well done, and a fantastic pick in my own humble opinion – which is, of course – the only one that matters in the context of this contest :pac:

• Advertisement

And that most certainly draws tonight's proceedings to a close.

Round Playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/02FwEDAy8jIqOhCYh3QSxS

Song Rankings:

21st Century Song Name Score
    1st Scooter : The Logical Song 22
    2nd Bad Wolves - Zombie 21
    3rd Weezer - Everybody wants to rule the world 20
    4th Old Crow Medicine Show: Wagon Wheel 19
    5th Orville Peck - Smalltown Boy 18
    7th Johnny Cash - Hurt 17
    7th Johnny Cash - Hurt 17
    8th The Futureheads - The Hounds of Love 16
    9th Smashing Pumpkins Let Me Give The World To You 15
    10th No Doubt - It's My Life 14
    12th Make you feel my Love - Adele 13
    12th Make You Feel My Love - Adele 13
    13th Boy & Bear - Fall at your feet 12
    14th The Eagles - Seven Bridges Road 11
    15th Tina Turner, Kygo - What's Love Got to Do with It 10
    16th Jurassic 5 - Improvise 9
    17th Queen of the Stone Age - Outlaw Blues 8
    18th Linkin Park - She Couldn't  7
    19th Pink - Me & Bobby Magee 6
    20th Kid Moxie-Big In Japan 5
    21st Bella Wagner - Cat People (Putting out Fire) 4
    22nd Insomnia Monster Mix - Faithless 3

Total Scores at the End of Round 3:

Player Name Round 1 Round 2 Round 3 Round 4 Round 5 Round 6 Round 7 Round 8 Round 9 Round 10 Total
    Irish Aris 15 22 5 42
    s1ippy 18 8 17 43
    ShaneU 20 12 8 40
    Deja Boo 22 3 6 31
    the purple tin 11 5 19 35
    RasTa 8 1 17 26
    LeVar 21 18 7 46
    Sawduck 17 4 4 25
    Gru 9 13 20 42
    Mustang Shelly 14 20 21 55
    Clarabel 4 15 3 22
    osh 2 19 9 30
    Green&Red 10 6 12 28
    JP Liz 16 7 10 33
    Trigger 1 21 13 35
    JohnGreenFan 12 14 13 39
    Kolido 6 9 14 29
    Rikand 19 16 22 57
    Arghus 7 2 18 27
    Reberetta 5 17 15 37
    tusk 13 10 11 34
    fixXxer 3 11 16 30

So Rikand leads mustang shelly by two points with LeVar 11 points back in third place.

But the massive points differential and the fact we have SEVEN rounds to go means this is still a wide open contest.

I'll likely go for a midweek reveal of the next category, pending when Beaker decides to run his next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Great Walrus so far. I have plenty to listen to tomorrow, was rather preoccupied watching football tonight (Go Arsenal!!).
    Thank you Necro!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Necro wrote: »
    So Rikand leads mustang shelly by two points with LeVar 11 points back in third place.

That takes some of the pressure off. Dropping back from 1st place at this stage makes it easier to launch a sneak attack later on... :pac:

giphy.gif

Bad Wolves - Zombie

This is an incredible cover and tribute to Dolores O’Riordan. Second podium place for shelly and this song was so close to topping the pile, just pushed out in the end though. Still… this is amazing. Just listen to it and judge yourselves.

tenor.gif?itemid=14305654

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Scooter? really? How did this guy win my walrus?

ShaneU wrote: »

FocusedFinishedFlatcoatretriever-max-1mb.gif

ShaneU wrote: »

Because you've also got woeful taste in music...

giphy.gif

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,484 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Mustang Shelly

Bad Wolves - Zombie

The day Dolores died was the day that she was supposed to be recording this song with Bad Wolves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Gru

In 3rd place with 20 points…

Gru

Ah I mean the original is a stone cold classic. And I like that Weezer don’t mess with that too much, in fact it’s an incredible cover. Fab pick.

I love the fact you failed to mention we actually nominated the whole Weezer album :pac:

3. A Recording From the 21st century of a Song from the 20th

Weezer (the teal album) (yes the whole thing)
    but if you must be specific:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Looks like mid table obscurity is the best I can hope for here!

Arghus wrote: »

With 7 rounds still to go, it really could be anybody's game, far too early to make any call.

And if there's one thing that can be said about Necro, is he's unpredictable, so it could all change yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,507 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I knew Cash's epic Hurt cover would be nominated by someone but beaten by a Scooter song :eek: :D :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Haha Scooter has his moments! I thought Johnny Cash would be a very obvious choice but it's very sentimental for me so to choose any others would have been a betrayal :D although Weezer and also John Frusciante do some very commendable covers.
    In 20th place, with 3 points…
    fixXxer

Kinky Friedman - Get your bisquits in the oven and your buns in to bed

Eesh. This is the type of country I would not be fond of. Gives proper country a bad name. It’s a bit sexist too isn’t it!! The diddlee aye is prominent here, along with the overspoken Southern accent… Nope Nope Nope. And wow, they even have a kazoo!!

Haha I love this guy actually. Absolutely hilarious.

Fun rounds and some great tunes up there, looking forward to getting stuck in to the playlist tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pink Floyd last? My god.

I also sent the Pompei version, not the studio. Not that it would have mattered.

Also a fictional band and scooter top? This should be fun, although I forget what I sent in for the rest, bar one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Arghus wrote: »

Mid table looks great from my current position

• Advertisement

With 7 rounds still to go, it really could be anybody's game, far too early to make any call.

And if there's one thing that can be said about Necro, is he's unpredictable, so it could all change yet.

right.gif

Round 4 will be interesting.

So how did ye get on with this one? Someone said to me recently that all the best music was produced and released before I was born in 1986. Now I don’t necessarily subscribe to that theory, certainly the 90s and early part of the Noughties gave me some of my absolutely all time fave tracks. However there is certainly a metric sh1t tonne of absolutely amazing stuff released before that particular year…

Some of my faves:

That last one may or may not be a joke ;)

No duplicates this time so straight run through.

Not gonna lie to you though folks, the bottom songs in this category I’d be very very happy if I never heard them again.

Not gonna lie to you though folks, the bottom songs in this category I’d be very very happy if I never heard them again.

Uh-oh

*runs to PM to see what I submitted for this category

Round 4 will be interesting.

So how did ye get on with this one? Someone said to me recently that all the best music was produced and released before I was born in 1986. Now I don’t necessarily subscribe to that theory, certainly the 90s and early part of the Noughties gave me some of my absolutely all time fave tracks. However there is certainly a metric sh1t tonne of absolutely amazing stuff released before that particular year…

I'm very confident it isn't one of mine.

giphy.gif

:D

I'm free in about 20 mins if people want a surprise Sunday reveal? Will only be one round though for sure, I've a roast in the oven to keep an eye on too!

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I'm very confident it isn't one of mine.

It's me! All I can say is what was I thinking!?! :eek:

:D

I'm free in about 20 mins if people want a surprise Sunday reveal? Will only be one round though for sure, I've a roast in the oven to keep an eye on too!

yes, I'm here!!!

giphy.gif

Ok let's get rolling so

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

90Nb.gif

Three times in one night, Necro!
    And ready to go again...

In 19th place with 4 points

Arghus

Hammond Song - The Roches

Unfortunately this was all a bit slow and whiny for me. It’s absolutely obvious the girls have some great voices, but it just very slow, meandering along before random stages where they’d hold a certain note for ages.

90Nb.gif

Three times in one night, Necro!
    And ready to go again...

What can I say, I have significant staying power :D:D:D

In 18th place with 5 points:

Irish Aris

The B-52's-Legal Tender

I just never got the B-52s. Love Shack is fine once in a while but other than that they’re just not a band I want to listen to. Unfortunately that is reflected in the scoring. If it helps, it was never ever ever in the bottom 3… but we’ll get to them later.

In 17th place with 6 points
    Gru

Adam and the ants - Stand and deliver

You can probably guess from my videos already posted that this sort of music just isn’t my jazz unfortunately. I mean it’s upbeat but I’m just not a guy who is into the wacky side of music unfortunately.

In 18th place with 5 points:

Irish Aris

The B-52's-Legal Tender

I just never got the B-52s. Love Shack is fine once in a while but other than that they’re just not a band I want to listen to. Unfortunately that is reflected in the scoring. If it helps, it was never ever ever in the bottom 3… but we’ll get to them later.

I confused you with someone else then. I thought you liked The B-52's.

In 16th place with 7 points
    Tusk
    The Eagles - Pretty Maids All In A Row

Ok, now I think I see the consistency in the entries from this player. They all have a number in them? No… that’s not quite it… Frankly though this is one of my least favourite Eagles songs. It’s all very meh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement