Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gandon Park Lucan

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Lan Di

I live in the Paddocks estate and about 15 caravans have made home in the empty makeshift car park opposite Gandon Park

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Lan Di wrote: »
    I live in the Paddocks estate and about 15 caravans have made home in the empty makeshift car park opposite Gandon Park

Apparently there are more on the way. All residents need to complain to the council as they are trespassing. Hopefully Cairns will do something about this as well as I don't think they'll be able to shift more houses with this encampment across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alagambp

I have booked a house in Gandon Park Lucan and I was in there yesterday (31st Aug 2019) and just noticed large number of Traveller caravans across in the field right opposite to Gandon Park gate. Just wondering if that is the Travellers Accommodation designated area. Have anyone noticed this? This will become a major concern going forward.

alagambp wrote: »
    I have booked a house in Gandon Park Lucan and I was in there yesterday (31st Aug 2019) and just noticed large number of Traveller caravans across in the field right opposite to Gandon Park gate. Just wondering if that is the Travellers Accommodation designated area. Have anyone noticed this? This will become a major concern going forward.

No it is not designated, they are illegally trespassing. You should express your concern to Cairns and hopefully they can be moved soon. When are you due to move in?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lan Di wrote: »
    No it is not designated, they are illegally trespassing. You should express your concern to Cairns and hopefully they can be moved soon. When are you due to move in?

They did round up *14* feral horses (South Dublin Co. Co.) when one prospective purchaser made a complaint to them back in April. If you ask SDCC they will tell you where they have rounded up stray equines..........

Complain to the Developer- if they are trespassing there illegally, they should be moved on to an approved location. Its in the Developer's interest not to alienate prospective purchasers.

• Advertisement

Are we sure this is not the designated area? If its not then it's a big relief. I have already notified Cairns. I think all owners of houses in Gandon Park should notify Cairns to take quick actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

I passed by this morning at 7am, 2 guys in hi-vis jackets with an Alsation were 'standing guard' at entrance to the car park/halting site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Sure just think of it as a warmup for when they will be permanently there

I hope not. If this land really belongs to Cairns then why the heck don't they get the garda to remove them immediately. Certainly there must be a riot squad in Dublin.

I do not think it belongs to Cairns. It belongs to St. Helens or council

• Advertisement

No it doesn't belong to St. Helen's (phase 1a/b) or Newpark (St. Helen's phase 2). It's either Castlethorn, DRES, Cairns or the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 conserbia

You can go on to south dublin county council planning permissions website and see all areas of lucan which have planning permission. This site which the travellers have illegally occupied is unfortunately still owned by the council therefore cairn have no right to ask them to leave. A similar incident happen in foxborough on the otherside of lucan over a year ago, where a gate was broken and travellers entered illegally. They are still there today, local councillors actually put a stop to them being thrown out when a court order was granted for them to move on.
    If you are in the middle of purchasing in gandon park i would not pay in full until the issue is resolved, there is currently about 15 caravans on the site with room for more and 2 intimadating characters acting as security at the entrance, the gardai have asked them to leave and were told where to go so dont be expecting this issue to be resolved soon and if it turns out to be the same as foxborough then they may never leave.

conserbia wrote: »
    You can go on to south dublin county council planning permissions website and see all areas of lucan which have planning permission. This site which the travellers have illegally occupied is unfortunately still owned by the council therefore cairn have no right to ask them to leave. A similar incident happen in foxborough on the otherside of lucan over a year ago, where a gate was broken and travellers entered illegally. They are still there today, local councillors actually put a stop to them being thrown out when a court order was granted for them to move on.
    If you are in the middle of purchasing in gandon park i would not pay in full until the issue is resolved, there is currently about 15 caravans on the site with room for more and 2 intimadating characters acting as security at the entrance, the gardai have asked them to leave and were told where to go so dont be expecting this issue to be resolved soon and if it turns out to be the same as foxborough then they may never leave.

Interesting, Cairn were using that area to store materials and up until the invasion it was a builders car park? Unlike foxborough, there's too much money at stake with the new development to not have it resolved soon.

conserbia wrote: »

I don't understand why the gardai can't get armed back up and kick them out. It's a disgrace how the site looks like in Balgaddy and I certainly don't want this set up in our neighbourhood.

MSVforever wrote: »
    I don't understand why the gardai can't get armed back up and kick them out. It's a disgrace how the site looks like in Balgaddy and I certainly don't want this set up in our neighbourhood.

Its Balgaddy though.

Travellers left this morning, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Would you think about Celbridge or Maynooth?

Ordinarily its a bit of a gamble- however, you can take some of the randomness out of the gamble by doing appropriate due diligence. In this instance- the developer is getting away with stacking social housing units into the development and immediate vicinity- which should more appropriately have been built elsewhere- but the local authority are allowing them be constructed here instead- so as to minimise the effect on other, more premium, locations. In addition- you have the whole Clonburris SDZ and its effect on the area- alongside further development making use of the SDZ to avail of lack of planning oversight.

Lots of people who grew up in Lucan and its general environs- are getting out. Lots of people see it as a version of Tallaght from the early 80s- perhaps it won't come to that level of deprivation and lawlessness- however, the fact of the matter is- there is a danger, a distinct danger, that we simply have a more uptodate version of Tallaght- where developers are making use the existence of an SDZ to use the area as a dumping ground for social housing that they'd rather not devalue other developments they're involved in, with.

I'm one of the people who grew up in Lucan- and still live here- and would be out of here like a shot if I could make it work financially........ The place has been destroyed- and its only going to get worse.

I like both Celbridge and Maynooth, however, both have chronic traffic issues. My preference would be Maynooth, as the urban rail link is a great selling point, which means your not as reliant on a car, but it is a nice town in its own right. I still live in Lucan village (on main Street), work in Celbridge and my children go to school in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

I like both Celbridge and Maynooth, however, both have chronic traffic issues. My preference would be Maynooth, as the urban rail link is a great selling point, which means your not as reliant on a car, but it is a nice town in its own right. I still live in Lucan village (on main Street), work in Celbridge and my children go to school in Maynooth.

What are your thoughts on Leixlip Con?

Naos wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on Leixlip Con?

Its massively over developed too- to the extent that they're having difficulty shifting some of the current developments in the area (Easton for example). Also- the road layout at Intel is a recipe for disaster on days like today- there was a broken down bus at the Maynooth exit- so a lot of people thought they'd rat run down the back of Carton, Kellystown lane and out at Easton...……

I don't have anything massively against Leixlip- but it just doesn't appeal to me in a similar manner to Maynooth (or even Celbridge).

The whole area though is just gridlocked- and once Clonburris gets going- another 10,000 houses in an area with a poor road network is going to condemn trying to get in or out of Dublin by private transport (and the public transport network is already saturated).

All-in-all- if I were buying today- I'd be focused on Maynooth (the biggest issue there is a lot of the recent new housing developments have been sold en mass to institutional investors, freezing out private buyers).

You might get lucky and find somewhere nice at a reasonable enough price- but you tend to pay extra to live in Maynooth. There would be better value in Leixlip- but lower desirability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭hoopyhoopy

Hi all - Just wondering those who bought in the Gandon area and are living there the past few months what are the vibes thus far!? I am particularly keen to understand;

Traffic?
    Anti Social behaviour?
    Any update on the traveller site?
    Does there seem to be a higher % of social housing in the area and are these causing any concern/issue?
    Any other need to know?

We have recently committed to a property here and quite concerned to read about mass traffic issues, crowding, anti social behaviour and a larger proportion of social housing and traveller site than norm and that's typically imbedded in private housing development.

I have no problem with social housing nor Travellers but my experience renting in other areas similar it led to anti social behaviour, littering, and high crime rates - I was hoping to put all that crap behind us by committing to 370k home of our own!

Also can anyone clarify the price of houses in Gandon and or what you paid as the last remaining properties are €370k for 3 bed Terrace but really confused when We look on the housing register Website i can see neighbouring properties on the same terrace were sold as recent as the summer for €310k and €350k according to the Registrar website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

hoopyhoopy wrote: »
    Hi all - Just wondering those who bought in the Gandon area and are living there the past few months what are the vibes thus far!? I am particularly keen to understand;

Traffic?
    Anti Social behaviour?
    Any update on the traveller site?
    Does there seem to be a higher % of social housing in the area and are these causing any concern/issue?
    Any other need to know?

We have recently committed to a property here and quite concerned to read about mass traffic issues, crowding, anti social behaviour and a larger proportion of social housing and traveller site than norm and that's typically imbedded in private housing development.

I have no problem with social housing nor Travellers but my experience renting in other areas similar it led to anti social behaviour, littering, and high crime rates - I was hoping to put all that crap behind us by committing to 370k home of our own!

Also can anyone clarify the price of houses in Gandon and or what you paid as the last remaining properties are €370k for 3 bed Terrace but really confused when We look on the housing register Website i can see neighbouring properties on the same terrace were sold as recent as the summer for €310k and €350k according to the Registrar website.

Hi,

I dont live in Gandon so cant comment on that aspect but the prices on the PPR for new homes are often without VAT (around 15% I think) so that may account for the price differential...

Advertisement