Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any bleeding heart rental story ..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

I note some of the comments below the article say its the greedy landlords fault...

raising the rent twice in a year is not permitted (correct me if I'm wrong) so it is the landlord's fault. Whether he's greedy or not is subjective. Seems like he was renting the place at well below market rate and is trying to get it up to that level.

As for whether she should have had kids at her age, the status of the father, none of that applies. She can't afford a double rent increase and that rent increase isn't allowed.

the vast majority of people responding here seem to forget they're in the accommodation & property forum and not in the comments section of the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

raising the rent twice in a year is not permitted (correct me if I'm wrong) so it is the landlord's fault. Whether he's greedy or not is subjective. Seems like he was renting the place at well below market rate and is trying to get it up to that level.

As for whether she should have had kids at her age, the status of the father, none of that applies. She can't afford a double rent increase and that rent increase isn't allowed.

the vast majority of people responding here seem to forget they're in the accommodation & property forum and not in the comments section of the Daily Mail.

if the last rent increase was last january the next should be january coming. it does seem that the landlord was offering the place below market rent so they can't be all that bad. Its a simple case it appears of someone wanting to live in an area that they can't afford or in this case the state can't afford to pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Evil-p wrote:
    The children are in school. It is incredibly destructive to move children mid-term.

Some people have to change jobs and move their families during the school year because jobs don't just get advertised during the summer.

But of course it's ok to expect the state to allow you choose where you want to live and pick up the tab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Moderator note

This is the Accommodation and Property forum, please feel free to discuss the A&P related issues in the article while staying on topic and remaining civil at all times. A number of off topic posts have been deleted. Any further mod action on this thread may result in cards being issued. There will be no further warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

It is a bit ****ty that her rent has been increased 500 euro in a year period.

I appreciate that the rental market is getting very competitive, but they do need a small bit of a cap on it, 500 in a 12-13 month period is madness.
    I wish my job payed me 500 a month extra every year!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/desperate-mother-of-twins-5-who-cant-afford-her-rent-we-could-be-found-dead-on-the-streets-thats-my-worst-fear-34124125.html

No mention of looking for work while the kids are in school

I note some of the comments below the article say its the greedy landlords fault...

Or god forbid a bit of family planning beforehand as to who has been would provide a house etc for the kids. Ridiculous carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

allibastor wrote: »
    It is a bit ****ty that her rent has been increased 500 euro in a year period.

I appreciate that the rental market is getting very competitive, but they do need a small bit of a cap on it, 500 in a 12-13 month period is madness.
    I wish my job payed me 500 a month extra every year!!!

You do realise how much of that rent is going directly to the government ?

if the rent been charged was under market rate this should have been planned for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Rent prices are set by demand, not by 'greedy landlords'. If she can't afford a 3 bedroom house then she needs to move to something smaller. In the meantime those who are willing to pay the going rates can't live were they want because of this.
    1400 is fair for where she is living and what she is living in, regardless of what it used to be. Again why should she prevent someone willing to pay what it's worth move in?
    If the landlord upped the rent in January he can't do it again until next January, she can find somewhere else to live. This idiot is actually talking about pitching a tent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Rent prices are set by demand, not by 'greedy landlords'. If she can't afford a 3 bedroom house then she needs to move to something smaller. In the meantime those who are willing to pay the going rates can't live were they want because of this.
    1400 is fair for where she is living and what she is living in, regardless of what it used to be. Again why should she prevent someone willing to pay what it's worth move in?
    If the landlord upped the rent in January he can't do it again until next January, she can find somewhere else to live. This idiot is actually talking about pitching a tent?

Thats it, someone will be willing to pay it,or else it wouldnt be set at that amount. Its not greedy landlords or anything like that, its the going rate and they want to get value for their investment.

If rents plummetedwould people want to government to subsidise landlords?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

It's not permitted, it's illegal and so she could refuse and have the law on her side. The fact that that isn't the (very selective with the facts) story tells me that most likely the LL intends to raise the rent again in January and has given her prior notice.

Well within someone's right to charge going rates for something they own, regardless of the individuals financial situation. I don't go into a shop and say 'I earn less than that guy so give me stuff for cheaper'

BTW I'm a tenant not a LL but I compete fairly for where I want to live and live where I can afford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

jobless wrote: »
    its very unfair for people to comment on when or not someone should have children, you dont know her circumstances..... maybe she was in a relationship and maybe the father did a runner leaving her with two children... If he did then people should be directing their ire at him...
    The problem is that rents are jumping at an alarming rate and the government are not bothered doing anything to stop it...

I don't know this girl personally but I know people who do. Not going to air her dirty laundry here. All I will say is don't believe everything you read in the papers!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

<snip>

To achieve what ends?

If the article means January '15 as "last January", all the landlord has done wrong is attempt two prices rises in less than 12 months - for the PRTB to handle, not vigilante justice

If they mean January 14, which is what I'd consider "last January" to be, they've done nothing wrong at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

fussyonion wrote: »
    What boils my blood is when people on RA say things like "...Landlord won't accept Ra. It's greed" or when I see Gumtree ads saying things like "..looking for a decent, warm-hearted Landlord who will accept RA."

It's always the LL who gets the blame and it's not right.
    I used to be on RA. I know how hard it is to find someone who will take it but I was always very understanding of my LL when he had to increase the rent.

As hard as it might be to believe, I used feel terrible when the RA was reduced and I had to ask my LL to reduce the rent.
    On more than one occasion I said to my other half "It's not fair that he should have to reduce the rent. Why should he?"

When my LL said he couldn't reduce it, I told him I fully understood and we just kept looking for somewhere else.

It's not the LL's fault you can't find somewhere willing to take RA.
    Blame someone else.

You make yourself sound like a landlord btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

L1011 wrote: »
    If they mean January 14, which is what I'd consider "last January" to be

"Last January" is January 2015.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

???

What I'd consider normal, and some media sources use:

"last January" = last year, 2014
    "January" = this year, 2015
    "next January = next year, 2016

What RTE at the least use:

"last January" = this year, 2015
    "January" = **** knows, 2015 or 2016 depending what the writer thinks.
    "next January" = next year, 2016

You don't refer to anything else that happened in the same time frame as "last" whatever, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thread closed pending review. Despite earlier warning this thread has gone seriously off topic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement