Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any bleeding heart rental story ..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doesn't even know the current, or former, name of the support from the state she's getting - "rental allowance" mentioned twice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Two words

"Personal responsibility "

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Rent shouldn't be increased again till January...

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

“I don’t know what I’m going to do. I feel like I’m having a breakdown. I’m trying to keep it together for the girls. My priority is a roof over their heads.”

This should have been her priority before having kids.

People genuinely worried about being homeless shouldn't go to the press, they should go to employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

“I don’t know what I’m going to do. I feel like I’m having a breakdown. I’m trying to keep it together for the girls. My priority is a roof over their heads.”

This should have been her priority before having kids.

People genuinely worried about being homeless shouldn't go to the press, they should go to employers.

why?

2 kids at 26 and not a mention of a father

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Renting a house in Knocklyon is going to be expensive alright. If she moves about 1km west, there'll be something she can afford.

I'm really sick of this, "If I can't live in the exact place I'm living right now, I have no other options but to sleep rough" nonsense.

It's all people unwilling to change their circumstances to suit their means.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

Woah so many judgments with so little information.

However assuming you are correct that this person is in receipt of rent allowance the following is true:

The children are in school. It is incredibly destructive to move children mid-term.

With 2 children and afterschool costing around €25 a day per child she would have childcare expenses of €250 a week (around €1100 per month). Her rent is rising to €1400. Before paying a single bill or eating a morsel of food she would have to earn €2500 a month. Allowing for food etc for family of 3 say she would have to earn +€40k a year. Part time school hour jobs are more or less impossible to find and the ones that do pay pittance. This women is well and truly in a welfare trap.

neris wrote: »
    why?
    2 kids at 26 and not a mention of a father or 2...

Well there generally aren't 2 fathers involved with twins...

She consistently blames all Landlords & the Government in the article, no mention of trying for a job that suits her predicament...

there are places in Ireland with lower rent demands if she needs it.

neris wrote: »
    2 kids at 26 and not a mention of a father or 2...
    Kids are twins..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Evil-p wrote: »
    Woah so many judgments with so little information.

However assuming you are correct that this person is in receipt of rent allowance the following is true:

The children are in school. It is incredibly destructive to move children mid-term.

With 2 children and afterschool costing around €25 a day per child she would have childcare expenses of €250 a week (around €1100 per month). Her rent is rising to €1400. Before paying a single bill or eating a morsel of food she would have to earn €2500 a month. Allowing for food etc for family of 3 say she would have to earn +€40k a year. Part time school hour jobs are more or less impossible to find and the ones that do pay pittance. This women is well and truly in a welfare trap.

I would say having no where to live would be more destructive than moving school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

I would say having no where to live would be more destructive than moving school

Of course i agree handlemaster but if they could be kept in their current school till the summer it would be far less disruptive.

The "Growing up Ireland" report released new findings today about the massive impact financial problems have on children. It cannot be discounted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

L1011 wrote: »
    Doesn't even know the current, or former, name of the support from the state she's getting - "rental allowance" mentioned twice there.

Mentioned twice in the article but never in a quote by the mother. More likely the journalist doesnt know the correct name.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They don't have to move school unless she decides to move to the other side of the city.

Sure, it might be a longer trek in the morning, but unfortunately when things change you have to roll with it.

I'm fascinated. What is the correct age to have 2 children?

When you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,781 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this place is turning into the Daily Mail. There are 11 properties in the whole of Dublin currently available for under €1000 on Daft, half of them are in Balbriggan (I wonder why Balbriggan is so cheap?).

Whatever this woman's circumstances and the lack of information & poor-mouth nature of the Indo article, there's clearly a major shortage of supply which is not her fault.

Maybe she thought she could afford one..

Of course i agree handlemaster but if they could be kept in their current school till the summer it would be far less disruptive.

The "Growing up Ireland" report released new findings today about the massive impact financial problems have on children. It cannot be discounted.

They are twins id imagine they play together and are their own best friends. I think in this case a move is warranted mid term. The mother was on about living in a tent. If your that desperate im sure moving outside of dublin would be the option. She doesnt work and everything is being paid by social so whats the issue?

Maybe she thought she could afford one..

Maybe, and then 2 popped along.

People should err on the side of caution with family planning.

Myself and the GF could physically have as many kids as we like. But we haven't had one yet. Why not? Cause we prioritized a house, car etc and a prospective wedding. We're coming to this stage now with our first child on the cards sometime soon.

Why only now? Cause we need a secure environment and resources for the child. To avoid exactly what is in that article happening to us.

We are being smart. She wasn't. She gets "Rent Allowance". We don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 slangamerican

Best line on Rent Allowance - "it's money guaranteed" - not to the landlord it isn't

Best line on Rent Allowance - "it's money guaranteed" - not to the landlord it isn't

I noted that also. Its a quagmire for landlords its anything but guaranteed. The tenant can request that the payments to the landlord be stopped at anytime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Worse part about all of these stories are the government bailed out the bankers and haven't done a thing for me .
    Many people 10+ years on rent supplement and benefits costing €100,000 + and yet the government hasn't helped them at all

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

syklops wrote: »
    Mentioned twice in the article but never in a quote by the mother. More likely the journalist doesnt know the correct name.

Both references to it are in the same quote from the mother.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Does the girl not have parents that can help her out???

This is just typical Woe is me bullcrap to drum up sympathy so she can get what she wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Does the girl not have parents that can help her out???

This is just typical Woe is me bullcrap to drum up sympathy so she can get what she wants.

Yeah exactly. And also, Neris has a point, where the hell is the father? Why is it always down to the state to support these situations? Why not chase the father? Surely he has more obligation to support and house those kids than the taxpayers have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

L1011 wrote: »
    Both references to it are in the same quote from the mother.

Fair enough but the phrase is used twice more in the article. Any chance its an auto correct fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

What boils my blood is when people on RA say things like "...Landlord won't accept Ra. It's greed" or when I see Gumtree ads saying things like "..looking for a decent, warm-hearted Landlord who will accept RA."

It's always the LL who gets the blame and it's not right.
    I used to be on RA. I know how hard it is to find someone who will take it but I was always very understanding of my LL when he had to increase the rent.

As hard as it might be to believe, I used feel terrible when the RA was reduced and I had to ask my LL to reduce the rent.
    On more than one occasion I said to my other half "It's not fair that he should have to reduce the rent. Why should he?"

When my LL said he couldn't reduce it, I told him I fully understood and we just kept looking for somewhere else.

It's not the LL's fault you can't find somewhere willing to take RA.
    Blame someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

She will not be on the streets, she'll be in a hotel that night. Still not a great outcome but she won't die on a street

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I often wonder where the parents/family/friends are in cases like this (not just this particular one). I appreciate that long term its not a solution but better than going homeless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

its very unfair for people to comment on when or not someone should have children, you dont know her circumstances..... maybe she was in a relationship and maybe the father did a runner leaving her with two children... If he did then people should be directing their ire at him...
    The problem is that rents are jumping at an alarming rate and the government are not bothered doing anything to stop it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

Absolutely sick of all these stories. There are some genuine cases as we all know, all you have to do is walk around the city centre at night, that's real homelessness.
    These women who think they are 'due' a free house boil my blood. I know of two people 'crying homeless' just to get a house and they are no more homeless than I am.
    I am not saying this case in question is not genuine, I am talking about the ones which we all know are not. I get jack from the government because I work, and the people who don't work get a nice big house for little or nothing. It doesn't make sense, our government needs to step up. It just shouldn't make sense that you are better off not working in this country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement