Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walrus - phatkev - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Gru

absolutely a clear number 1 with The Frames Revelate nice choice y0ssae1an22 :cool:

i love that song...more than my entry :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

phatkev wrote: »
    In 8th place -Travega - The Walls (Are Covered In My Name) - submitted by
    ALSB

Have I heard the band: No

Have I heard the song: No

Thoughts: Was really impressed with this one, not sure how the band passed me by because this was the exact sort of music I was into, around the time this would have been released. The additional voals towards the end really added to the song, thought the piano track was a solid addition as well

Glad you liked it and that I picked a band you weren't familiar with. Saw them live countless times while I was in college, just a shame they were only together for a couple of years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

There was such a broad spectrum of Irish music represented here today. I can't wait to have a bit of time to give a really good listen to the couple I didn't know. Irish artists are the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,278 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I cannot diss Joe Dolan too much as I grew up listening to him from my mam and gran

Some good Irish artists new to me here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Frames always a good choice, well done yoss.

Surprised MBV didn't rank higher. I really like the vocals, and how they contrast with the louder bits.

Interested to see what you think of my entry next round, if you don't already know of it. One of my all time favorites, have loved it for many decades now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

No worries about that phatkev, I'll just tell myself you've a terrible taste in music if Joe is bottom of the pile ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Glad you liked it and that I picked a band you weren't familiar with. Saw them live countless times while I was in college, just a shame they were only together for a couple of years.
    Reminded me of Alice In Chains a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Heres the scores after round 5, has Electric Nitwit already got one hand on the trophy or will one of the chasing pack pip them to the post?
    giphy.giftenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I'll get this finished today, I promise!
    Should be able to get it started sometime in the afternoon

Ok here we go, final round - Teenage Angst

• Advertisement

In 15th place -Starship - Nothings Gonna Stop Us - submitted by
    CJ Maxx

Have I heard the band: Yes

Have I heard the song: Yes

Thoughts: 80’s is such a hit and miss decade for me in terms of music, I’m fairly familiar with this one and its never really stuck out to me that much.
    The chorus is cheesy as hell but it is really good, unfortunately it got a little boring for me after that

punching.gif

In 14th place REM - Leave - Submitted by
    Electric Nitwit

Thoughts: REM are another band that are hit and miss for me, love some of their stuff and then theres more of it that I’m just not that interested in, this one is tipping towards the latter. There was a serious change of pace after the intro in this one which I liked.
    Im not big on the constant sound that repeats throughout (think its some sort of guitar effect) and find it a bit distracting.
    the 7 minute run time on this is another is another issue I have with this one and I cant hear anything but that guitar sound after the 5 minute mark, its imprinted on my brain!
    Not a great start for our current leader, but 5 points could still be enough to get over the finish line

In 13th place – Korn – A.D.I.D.A.S - submitted by
    Fixxxer

Thoughts: Korn have always had a very distinctive sound and instantly recognizable. Like the stop start effect going on throughout. Very interesting chorus, short and to the point!

Im not big on the constant sound that repeats throughout (think its some sort of guitar effect) and find it a bit distracting.
    the 7 minute run time on this is another is another issue I have with this one and I cant hear anything but that guitar sound after the 5 minute mark, its imprinted on my brain!
    Yeah, there was always that danger :p
    I find it quite soothing and meditative, but maybe that's just me!

In 12th place -Duran Duran - Notorious - submitted by
    Irish Aris

Thoughts: Never heard this (at least don’t remember hearing it) I’m very intrigued by it. Love the Bass going through out. Not a big fan of the vocals but I do really like the music going throughout. Have lost a little bit of interest by the end

In 11th place – Korn – Here to Stay- submitted by
    Homer J Fong

Thoughts: Another of the many nu-metal entries for this round! Instantly want to start headbanging along to this one. The music in this one never relents, great for appealing to all those angry teens! The pre chorus is a bit sh1t but the actual chorus is very good/catchy. Bridge is very familiar to the freak on a leash bridge

I think that's me and Homer level, with purple tin needing 5th or better to overtake us both...?

In 10th place – VV Brown – Shark in the Water- submitted by
    Mustang Shelly

Thoughts: Nice chilled out intro, big change of pace going into the chorus which I’m not a huge fan of, much prefer the verses. Backing vocals add a nice extra layer. The song had loads of potential, but the chorus dropped it back a few places

In 9th place -Wheatus – Teenage Dirtbag- submitted by
    Lassykk

Thoughts: Use to love this song and knew ever one of the lyrics. Its been ages since of heard it and its definitely not as good as I remember but still a decent song none the less

• Advertisement

In 8th place -Linkin Park – Faint - submitted by
    Gru

Thoughts: Linkin Park where one of them bands that I loved as a youngster. No hanging about on this one gets straight into it. Great chorus and love the change between chorus and verse. Song never slows down. I’m sure this was the soundtrack to many a teenager in the early noughties.

In 7th place -CAN – Vitamin C - submitted by
    Osh

Thoughts: Another song that gets straight into it no messing about. Interesting sounds and the rhythm section in particular. The organ breakdown is interesting as well, the track is full of little surprises.
    I really liked it, something different.

In 6th place –Amy Macdonald - This the Life
    - submitted by
    Braney92

Thoughts: Vaguely remember this one. First thing that I hear is the slide guitar and that’s always a good thing on my book. Like the vocals and the lyrics are very relatable to my misspent youth. The walking bass going throughout is good. Good pop song with enough going on to keep me interested throughout

I feel like I was a different person entirely when I entered this walrus... It was a different time.

s1ippy wrote: »
    I feel like I was a different person entirely when I entered this walrus... It was a different time.

Ha, its been a while alright, I've still got nothing on Trigger though:pac:

In 5th place – The Smashing Pumpkins Mayonaise
    - submitted by
    Rothko

Thoughts: Smashing Pumpkins are another band that have an instantly recognisable sound, especially when Corgans vocals come in. Im a big fan of this song and it starts with a great guitar intro. There was a couple of longer tracks submitted in this round and I struggled through some of them but no such struggles with the 6+ minutes of this one.

In 4th place – Papa Roach – Last Resort - submitted by
    Sawduck

Thoughts: Another banger of a nu metal song. I remember first hearing this the second disk of a Now That’s what I Call Music album. I remember roaring this chorus out in my bedroom thinking I was cool as sh1t. Very simple song but super effective.

And that brings us to the final 6 entries of the comp, those still waiting to hear their names called are A.S.L.B, JP Liz V1, S1ippy, ShaneU, The Purple Tin and Y0ssae1an22. If The Purple Tin gets a top 3 finish its theres, if The Purple tin comes in the bottom 3 and ShaneU finishes in the top 2 he'll top the table, a 3rd place finish for ShaneU will create a 3 way tie at the top with Electric Nitwit and Homer J Fong. if both TPT and ShaneU finish outside the top 3 it will be a 2 way tie for first place

Kev, we've been through so much together. You wouldn't do this to me now, surely?

• Advertisement

I'll leave ShaneU and The Purple Tin's until last so the reveal order may not be in the normal order

Advertisement