Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Walrus - phatkev - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

phatkev wrote: »
    EN is still on top of the pile but only because of alphabetic order, and a chasing pack right behind
    tenor.gif

Edit: just checked what's next and it's isolation songs.
    I may not have taken it completely seriously :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 7th place YONAKA - Teach Me To Fight - submitted by
    Also Starring LaVar Burton

Have I heard the band: No

Have I heard the song: No

Thoughts: Nice energetic intro, followed by vocals that are full of attitude. Liking the chorus as well. I think some artist really over think songs, sometimes its refreshing to see a band have a nice short and to the point song

Cheers kev

Happy with 7th here - really wasn't sure how this one would go down. I've been on a proper YONAKA buzz recently, and Teach Me To Fight was my introduction to the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

just checked what's next and it's isolation songs.
    I may not have taken it completely seriously :p

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

In 2nd place - Andra Day - Rise Up - submitted by
    Barney92

Thoughts: This lady has some voice, sounds like a mix of Amy Winehouse, Adele and Ella Fitzgerald! I like how the simple accompaniment really lets the vocals shine. This is another track where the backing vocals really add to the overall enjoyment of the song. Powerful song, really enjoyed it.

I had forgotten what I submitted for this. Glad you liked it. I heard it first in an episode of Doctor Who and have listened to it a fair few times since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I'll hopefully get on around 8 or 9 to run through the scores from round 4 (Isolation Songs)

• Advertisement

tenor.gif

Right lets get this going, this was another strong round with some absolute belters at the top of the list

In 15th place -Barenaked Ladies - Odds Are - submitted by
    Also Starring LeVar Burton

Have I heard the band: Yes

Thoughts: I only know one or two Barenaked Ladies songs, this isn’t one of them but they definitely have their own sound. Theres not a whole lot to pull me into this one, never really moved from where I placed it on the first listen. Again, not a bad track, I just don’t think it’s at the same standard as some of the other entries

In 14th place - In This Moment - Half God Half Devil - Submitted by
    Mustang Shelly

Thoughts: Decent start to this one, very Marlin Mansonesque sound. The pre-chorus would sound out of place on a Lady Gaga record. Like the Barenaked Ladies, this is a good track but not enough in it to get ahead of the other entries

In 13th place - The Flaming Lips - Race for the Prize - submitted by
    Rothko

Have I heard the song: Yes

Thoughts: These guys were massive around the time I was in Uni and seemed to have a cult like following, but I never really got into them. Big fan of the music in this one but not a big fan of the vocals. Probably would have scored higher if it was an instrumental track

• Advertisement

In 12th place -The Animals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place - submitted by
    Sawduck

Thoughts: Pretty sure House of the Rising Sun is the only song I’ve ever heard from this band. They sound of this one is very similar to The Doors, even got that organ in there! Doesn’t sound like it was recorded over 50 years ago

...seemed to have a cult like following
    Good description, and I say that from the inside!
    They're something else live though, I think that's where a lot of the appeal comes from

In 11th place – Avril Lavigne – Head Above Water- submitted by
    Lassykk

Thoughts: Again, Lassy’s Surlaw was my introduction to this track, really enjoying the rawness of the track and this really highlights her voice. Music accompaniment is very good but doesn’t take away from the main focus of the song, her voice. The delay bit at the end of the chorus was a bit of a let down, think the piece would have been stronger without it.

In 10th place – Metallica – Fade to Black - submitted by
    FixXxer

Thoughts: Metallica are a band I’ve never really bothered with but I do know this one. This really is a song of two halfs. I’m not a fan of the first half and much prefer when they leave the acoustic guitars at home. Hetfields voice and the tone of the electric guitar really elevated this song. If they had of skipped the first have of the song it would have scored higher!

In 9th place -Frightened Rabbit - The Modern Leper - submitted by
    S1ippy

Thoughts: This is another one of those songs that I change my opinion on every time I hear it. I’ve decided I like it for now! Sounds like a Scottish version of Frank Turner. They managed to created quite a big sound with what sounds like not that many instruments. Lot of changes in it to keep the listener interested

In 8th place -Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Monty Python - submitted by
    JP Liz V1

Thoughts: Lovely tune, but I did always feel it went on a bit long when watching the movie. The backing music is really good and I never realised/didn’t remember a full orchestra accompanying them. Very infectious, feel good song

In 7th place -Come Back Home - The Greatest Showman - submitted by
    CJ Maxx

Thoughts: Ok so I knew Jackman done movies with singing in them, but never realised he was good at it!! Wasn’t a fan of the start of the song and I’m glad they upped the tempo a bit. Support/backing vocals are very good. Did not expect to hear a banjo in this piece!

In 6th place –Villagers – Summers Song - submitted by
    Homer J Fong

Thoughts: Very underrated Irish band and have impressed me whenever I’ve seen them. Lovely upbeat brassy intro. Very chilled sound, the type of song you could just picture yourself listen to with a beer on a nice summers evening. Really like the bass line going through this one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Fair play cjmaxx, very interesting selection!!

In 5th place – Green Day - Longview - submitted by
    Electric Nitwit

Thoughts: Big fan of this tune. Dookie was played to death in my bedroom during my early teens. Classic intro, even if it is just a drum beat and I said in an earlier round that when tom drums are used properly they can be super effective. Very simple beat and bass line but it works really well. Like how the chorus just bursts in

• Advertisement

In 4th place - Nirvana – Plateau - submitted by
    Y0ssae1an22

Thoughts: This was another album that was on constant repeat when I was a teen. Was a fan of the Meat Puppets around this time too, so Plateau and Lake of Fire were two of my favourite tracks from the unplugged album. Love the intro riff on this one. A fairly simple song, but executed really well.

In 5th place – Green Day - Longview - submitted by
    Electric Nitwit
    Whoo-hoo, very happy with that. Once I thought of it I couldn't pick anything else as it is about being cooped up indoors by yourself and... ummm... well, that's not really important now! :pac:

That leaves us with the podium places and the bottom 3. Players with their name yet to be called are Barney92, Gru, Irish Aris, JP Liz V1,ShaneU and The Purple Tin

In 16th place - Green Day-Boulevard of Broken Dreams- submitted by
    Irish Aris

Thoughts: I’d kinda grew out of by Green Day phase by the time American Idiot came out. Maybe it’s the nostalgia talking but this just doesn’t have the same feel of it as their older stuff. Again it’s a perfectly fine song, just not one that grabs my interest.

In 3rd place – Audioslave - Cochise - submitted by
    ShaneU

Thoughts: Any song from this album would have scored high in this round. Irish Aris has a round in their upcoming Walrus for album openers and I think this one would fit it perfectly, such an explosive start to a record. Audioslave was also the first ever gig I was allowed to head up to Dublin on my own (well under the “supervision” of my mate’s older brother!) to.
    The intro to this one is so good, brilliant build up and then it just goes straight to 100mph! Chris Cornell’s voice is Iconic, one of, if not the best of his generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

First line is "I've been watching, while you've been coughing" That's why I picked it :pac:

In 17th place -True Tides - Survive -submitted by
    Gru

Thoughts: Straight of the bat, I knew I wouldn’t be too keen on this one and that didn’t really change over the next few listens. Very generic sounding pop song imo, the chorus is decent and its got a good upbeat feel to it

ShaneU wrote: »
    First line is "I've been watching, while you've been coughing" That's why I picked it :pac:
    giphy.gif

In 2nd place – Fugazi – Waiting Room - submitted by
    Osh

Thoughts: Another band and genre that were a massive influence in my youth. I have found memories of butchering this song in my friend’s garage when we were about 15! Even if you’re not a punk/ fan you’ll definitely recognise that opening bass riff. You can hear Fugazi’s influence on so many of the post hardcore bands that came after them. This is one of them songs I could listen to on repeat for hours!

• Advertisement

In 18th place - Sam Feldt - Post Malone - submitted by
    Barney92

Thoughts: Like True Tides I really wasn’t a fan of this from the 1st listen and it didn’t change my mind after multiply listens. Not a fan of the Bass synth thing that’s happening also not mad on the vocal effect. The first part of the chorus is decent, the weird vocal bit that comes after, not so much

Advertisement