Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the plan for 2010 ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

PaulBrewer wrote: »

No
    And there you have it folks, Brewer neglected as a child :D

/joking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Yes
    How do you know for sure? Thats not what I have been told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭bedbugs

few things:

1 new feature to score
    3 commercials projects coming up
    2 albums tracked, so need to mix them
    1 album yet to be recorded
    Lots more live TV recording work
    2 theatre productions to produce sound design for

3 kids to raise.
    2 cars to run
    1 mortgage to pay
    Many bills

Same ****, different year

bedbugs wrote: »
    few things:

1 new feature to score
    3 commercials projects coming up
    2 albums tracked, so need to mix them
    1 album yet to be recorded
    Lots more live TV recording work
    2 theatre productions to produce sound design for

3 kids to raise.
    2 cars to run
    1 mortgage to pay
    Many bills

Same ****, different year
    Busy man I like it!

live_free_or_die_hard.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

Welease wrote: »
    I'm bored trying to write and record..

just gonna do hookers and coke this year :p

and im going to film it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

dav nagle wrote: »
    How do you know for sure? Thats not what I have been told.

That you've been sleeping ? Sure you're keeping us all awake here with your snoring ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

What's this 'charts' nonsense lads ?

Don't you know how vacuous and pointless a goal that is ?

Charts are a possible byproduct of success - not a success in itself.

Well, it would expose you to a larger audience, thats my thinking.
    For musicians - larger audiences are grrrreat :)
    Not really thinking about the politics of the charts or any of that - for exposure.

Not really thinking about the politics of the chats or any of that - for exposure.

You'd think wouldn't you ?

Any idea what it takes to get to the mid 20s this time of year ?

Anyone know (as in know now without looking) who's number 1 in single or album charts ?

You'd think wouldn't you ?

Any idea what it takes to get to the mid 20s this time of year ?

Anyone know (as in know now without looking) who's number 1 in single or album charts ?
    yes.
    no.
    no.
    point taken.

however, im taking over - just giving an opportunity for yiz to get used to it:p

however, im taking over - just giving an opportunity for yiz to get used to it:p

Well that's different ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

I think about two hundred copies will get you to mid twenties, maybe less in January. Quite the achievable aim really.

As for who's number one now, I'd have no idea. Probably that X-factor guy still?

Welease wrote: »
    I'm bored trying to write and record..

just gonna do hookers and coke this year :p

Sounds like a really nice mix of std's and panic attacks, I think I'll have to pass this time around :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

Not really thinking about the politics of the charts or any of that - for exposure.

Ive been in bands that have charted and it didnt make the slightest bit of difference.

iamhunted wrote: »
    Ive been in bands that have charted and it didnt make the slightest bit of difference.

Like I said !

Like I said !

It really didnt. We'd be doing interviews with DJs with a song in the Irish top 20 and the DJ wouldnt even know that - cus really, who takes any notice of the charts anyway?

Any bands aiming at the charts should just make sure they release the best songs they can as thats where its at ... releasing the best music you can.

It really didnt. We'd be doing interviews with DJs with a song in the Irish top 20 and the DJ wouldnt even know that - cus really, who takes any notice of the charts anyway?

Like I feckin said!

i have this funny feeling you did indeed

Any bands aiming at the charts should just make sure they release the best songs they can as thats where its at ... releasing the best music you can.

In fairness the charts used to represent what is important i.e. fans.
    But not anymore....

i think the internet with its digital shelves, massive selection of music and long tails has made people realise they dont need to be fans of anyone anymore - certainly not idolise musicians like in days of yore. Musicians now need databases of listeners rather than rabid fans.

hmmm fair enough.. no differance?

• Advertisement

Enough, already. Bubble Burst ! Move on ...

Honestly, none.

They're now known as the 'Simons' not the charts so could we just say ....

"Yea man, we're workin' on the album but we got to 29 in the Irish Simons, Yor ?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Interesting discussion… from where I sit (as somebody who bought LPs in the 80s, CDs in the 90’s & MP3s in the noughties) I honestly couldn’t tell you what constitutes “the path to success in music biz” any more. It used to be:

1. Learnt to play/write
    2. Gig & build fan base
    3. Get record deal & advance (i.e. “loan”) from label
    4. Record & tour album with record company's money
    5. Sell lots of records (gauged by chart success) & sell out tour.
    6. Hopefully make enough off the charts sales/tour to pay back the label & ensure they continue to invest in you
    Timeless (but good) advice!
    In fairness the charts used to represent what is important i.e. fans.
    But not anymore....
    So what would you do if you were an artist looking to make a career in the biz today?
    i think the internet with its digital shelves, massive selection of music and long tails has made people realise they dont need to be fans of anyone anymore - certainly not idolise musicians like in days of yore. Musicians now need databases of listeners rather than rabid fans.
    How does an artist make a living from “databases of fans”?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    How does an artist make a living from “databases of fans”?

Sell their credit card details to unscrupulous eastern European fraudsters

whats the option? the old way doesnt work anymore - out of the thousands of releases per year, only a handful make money.

One way of working I see is a 'database' of listeners are people who a) you have to attract (and free music is the best way of doing that) but to whom b) you can sell self produced albums, compliations, dvds etc to.

The downside is that theres no backbone anymore to look after all these things like labels used to do. The upside is that the artist has a chance to earn some money though. I dont think anyone knows the right direction at present. Anarchy!

besides, more thought should be put into writing music because a musician wants to rather than in order to make money.

only a handful make money.

A pinkie full ...

it just shows that no matter, the old way of selling albums and singles, limited supply, label contracts etc etc no longer works. Im kinda glad Im an oul man as I dont know how the youngsters are going to earn a crust in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

it just shows that no matter, the old way of selling albums and singles, limited supply, label contracts etc etc no longer works. Im kinda glad Im an oul man as I dont know how the youngsters are going to earn a crust in the future.

Me too... at least back in the day (when we were knocking on the door of Mother Records or asking A&R men to come & see us play live etc), we knew what the rules were.

Today?.. who knows. Exciting in many ways (if you have the energy to forge a new path as an all in one musician/producer/promoter)... but also a bit of a PITA (if you're more concerned with making music & wanted somebody else to look after the biz end of things)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

whats the option? the old way doesnt work anymore - out of the thousands of releases per year, only a handful make money.

One way of working I see is a 'database' of listeners are people who a) you have to attract (and free music is the best way of doing that) but to whom b) you can sell self produced albums, compliations, dvds etc to.

The downside is that theres no backbone anymore to look after all these things like labels used to do. The upside is that the artist has a chance to earn some money though. I dont think anyone knows the right direction at present. Anarchy!

To be honest I think since the advent of file sharing artists rarely make money from their recordings. I think the money now is in live work as essentially the music industry has come full circle - we are back to the days of the travelling showman/guitar slinger.

In my opinion the major labels where the masters of their own demise, they simply over-mined the resource and tried to sell crap to the punter - fabricated pop based on nothing more than a passing fad and image.

I feel that along the way musicianship and the desire to be an artist gave way to being famous. Performers began to see being famous/chart success as the goal rather than the by-product of success as an artist.

I don't think there is a quick route to success, there is no Oasis-like story of being spotted by an A&R man at your first gig. To my eyes the only route is to become the best musician you can be, play as many gigs as you can (and try to make them ones that count - not Auntie Beryl's 60th) and produce the best music you can. I still believe that the cream will rise to the top.

Advertisement