Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Finished I, Claudius at the weekend and to be honest, it didn't do it for me. Historical fiction is a difficult genre to be honest and I felt that a non fiction book would have done more for me

Moved onto "Sabbath's Theatre" by Philip Roth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Reading "The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga

Excellent book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris.
    The blurb says he's "a humorist par excellence" but I have to say I'm not finding it myself. Still, I'm only 50 pages in so I'll give it a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Just finished Wilkie Collins "The Woman in White" - took me ages but really enjoyed this. Starting on Uncle Tom's Cabin next..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Starting William Boyd's Stars and Bars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading Isaac Asimov's I, Robot. Really like it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Skippy dies by Paul Murray

Halfway through this for our book club this month. Really
    enjoyable read so far, very funny but with a bit of a dark undercurrent.
    Set in a Dublin boarding school, highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

I picked up a few poetry books and Lady Chatterley's Lover from the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

TommieBoy wrote: »
    I picked up a few poetry books and Lady Chatterley's Lover from the library.

What are the poetry books ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭TommieBoy

marienbad wrote: »
    What are the poetry books ?
    I'm sorry for not saying :)......The Poetry and Prose of Shelley, Dear Ghosts by Tess Gallagher and Lisa Robertson's Magenta Soul Whip (which I am enjoying very much).

• Advertisement

Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel García Márquez

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Skippy dies by Paul Murray

Halfway through this for our book club this month. Really
    enjoyable read so far, very funny but with a bit of a dark undercurrent.
    Set in a Dublin boarding school, highly recommended.

I ADORED this, best book I read so far this year. Just finished it last week, picked it up in a book swap in The Philippines of all places ha!

Just started Shutter island by Dennis Lehane, I've heard good things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Michael Connelly's Blood Work this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I also enjoyed Skippy dies but thought it was at least one hundred pages too long, there was an awful lot of needless crap about the video game(at least I think that's what it was, if you read it you'd know what I mean).

I just finished "The Fields" a new Irish book which is very enjoyable to read but ultimately quite dissapointing, for anyone who grew up in the 80s their is a lot of laughs in his observations of the time, almost worth reading for this alone.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I also enjoyed Skippy dies but thought it was at least one hundred pages too long, there was an awful lot of needless crap about the video game(at least I think that's what it was, if you read it you'd know what I mean).

I enjoyed it too but thought that maybe there were a few too many characters in it. Or too much time given over to some of them.

Had a mad reading spurt at the weekend, finished the David Sedaris book and then read Bankok 8 by John Burdett. Next up is World Without End by Ken Follett. That should slow me down a bit!

I just finished Shall We Gather At The River by Peter Murphy. Thought it was awful. Really awful.

This morning I started The Quarry by Johan Theorin .... I loved Echoes From The Dead & The Darkest Room so I have high hopes for The Quarry :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Just finished Gone Girl. Not for me but i can see why some people would enjoy it.

Picked up my first ever Stephen King book. I went for Cell.
    Didnt fancy getting into IT or The Stand just yet. (ease myself in)

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »

Don't judge King by Cell, one of his poorest efforts imho..

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

Slattsy wrote: »
    Just finished Gone Girl. Not for me but i can see why some people would enjoy it.

Finished Gone Girl a few weeks ago. I wasn't too impressed.
    The plot had potential, I enjoyed some of the twists yet I really didn't connect with the writer's style at all.
    I have no idea how it's so popular!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Just finished David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet, loved it,

Moving on to Simon Pegg's Autobiography Nerd Do Well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'm reading Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane which isbthe follow up to Gone Baby Gone. Very good so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Didn't like Gone Girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

honeybear wrote: »
    Didn't like Gone Girl.

I was going to read it, because 2 of my friends have read it, and I have seen 3 people today reading it! might give it a miss though.

Just finished Along Came A Spider by James Patterson. Not what I was expecting at all. My Mam has read all his books, she thinks he is great. I loved the film with Morgan Freeman playing Alex Cross. I was so disappointed. I thought the writing wasnt great, the story was a bit predictable and I just didnt like any of the characters.

Next is To Kill a Mocking Bird. Im half reading the Wonders of the Solar System at the moment too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

SarahBM wrote: »
    I was going to read it, because 2 of my friends have read it, and I have seen 3 people today reading it! might give it a miss though.

Just finished Along Came A Spider by James Patterson. Not what I was expecting at all. My Mam has read all his books, she thinks he is great. I loved the film with Morgan Freeman playing Alex Cross. I was so disappointed. I thought the writing wasnt great, the story was a bit predictable and I just didnt like any of the characters.

Next is To Kill a Mocking Bird. Im half reading the Wonders of the Solar System at the moment too.

I often find movies predictable when I've read the book, it's just happened to you in reverse;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭juicyduckie

SarahBM wrote: »

Gone Girl is worth the read if you've nothing better to be at, just don't expect too much. :)

Bright's Passage by Josh Ritter.

Really enjoying it so far. Quite a simple story I guess, and a bit odd maybe too, but it's working for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

The Age Of Doubt , by Andrea Camilleri , the latest Commissario Montalbano mystery. Great series if you like that kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

New to this forum, currently reading 1984, have high hopes!

• Advertisement

MaggieNF wrote: »
    New to this forum, currently reading 1984, have high hopes!

welcome. Just bought 1984 the other day, its next on my list. Hope it lives up to the hype.

Badfellas by Paul Williams

Staring at Lakes by Michael Harding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

John Lanchester, Capital. Enjoying it a lot. An expansive vision of life in London just before the crash. Moreish .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

Found myself a bit let down by 1984, still glad I read it though. Currently reading Night by Elie Wiesel, looking forward to this

Half Blood Blues By Esi Edugyan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Michael Connelly's Void Moon last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Starting Coetzee's Disgrace

Bill, the Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Now reading Don Delillo's White Noise

• Advertisement

Finished to Kill a Mocking-bird. Absolutely loved it. great book.
    Now on to 1984 by George Orwell. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Engrossed by Noel Hawley's The Good Father at the moment, would highly recommend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The People of Forever Are Not Afraid by Shani Boianjiu. Really getting into it - the contrast of teenage girls' angst and Israeli military service is jarring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Now reading Don Delillo's White Noise

Read that last year. Had high hopes post-Underworld, but this really disappointed me. I spoke to a friend who was also underwhelmed by this, so would be interested in seeing how this goes for you.

Now reading Elias Khoury's "As though she were sleeping" and its shifting narrative, "open" structure and shifts from time periods and perspective, while beguiling at first, is starting to grate on me at the moment. :o:o

I'm reading Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway.

It's..... um.... wordy.

Finished Half Blood Blues ... superb

Now starting Waiting For Sunrise by William Boyd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Just started Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

Very interesting.

Flashman and the Angel of the Lord by George MacDonald Fraser

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Adolescenteen

Polished off Malcolm Gladwell's 'Tipping Point' and Christopher Hitchens' 'Letters To A Young Contrarian" this week. Moving on to 'The Decisive Moment' by Jonah Lehrer now.

• Advertisement

Nearly finished Lolita by Nabokov - amazing book despite the subject matter. Incredible use of language by a non-native English speaker - its incredible that at times despite being such an odious character that I actually felt sorry for Humbert.

Only a few pages to go and will then tackle Love in the time of Cholera - interested to see how this goes as I detested 100 year of solitude..

Advertisement