Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bayern wrote: »
    Different athletes carry weight more easily.

If you can't see than Billy V and Soroka are different I dunno what to tell you.

They look nothing alike, I just don't understand how Soroka at 105kg is in any danger of being too big for 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Extremely frustrating game. Was ****ing looking forward to this and all.

Those Leinster lads will need to take a harsh look at themselves and ask why they should be considered for selection for higher honours putting together performances like that.

Lethargic. Inaccurate. Poor decision making. Skill levels below par. Forcing things in completely brain dead positions. They might be young. But the intellect needs to be better.

How many times were they intercepted? Shocking.

Just a really deflating performance there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭VANG1

Great lesson for our boys, great ref kept the game moving, didn’t bother with offside! We looked very under cooked and not a team. Plenty of work ones.

They look nothing alike, I just don't understand how Soroka at 105kg is in any danger of being too big for 8.

Have you seen him? He's a conservative 105. And he's still very young. Can't think of any under 20s back rows in recent years who were anywhere near as physically developed as him

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He didn't really strike me as being particularly big watching him there. Are number 8s usually smaller than other back rows? I know Ardie Savea is relatively slight but lads like Vermeulen and Aldritt are big lumps at the back and none the worse for it.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

same as the firsts, they find a rush defence very hard to handle... Paynes hands were all over that.

While theres plenty of good rugby players among out half backs, theres a dearth of good decision makers I feel.
    Perhaps its as a result of playing behind dominant packs most of the time, but its clear that once we go a score or two behind, the way to play leinster is to rush them and force them into making decisions. The correct decision more often is to relinquish possession and play for territory with some kick tennis, and pressure the opposition defence. Most confidence in our line out would help to.
    however we tend to over play and get caught behind. How many times today did we see the one out pass being pressurised?

out of today , Osbourne looked good going forward but suspect in defence at 13.

Patterson always a threat, but passing and kicking leave a lot to be desired.

Nobody else really stood out to me as worthy of mention.

Bill Johnson was head and shoulders above every other player on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm delighted!!

Good showing from Ulster. Izzy, McCann and Sheridan the pick of the forwards. Pick and goes straight up the middle seemed to have been a pre worked ploy and gained us plenty of metres.

Not often we get the better of Leinster so you'll forgive me if I dine out on this for a while!!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    same as the firsts, they find a rush defence very hard to handle... Paynes hands were all over that.

While theres plenty of good rugby players among out half backs, theres a dearth of good decision makers I feel.
    Perhaps its as a result of playing behind dominant packs most of the time, but its clear that once we go a score or two behind, the way to play leinster is to rush them and force them into making decisions. The correct decision more often is to relinquish possession and play for territory with some kick tennis, and pressure the opposition defence. Most confidence in our line out would help to.
    however we tend to over play and get caught behind. How many times today did we see the one out pass being pressurised?

I'd give Greg McGrath a shout out too. Switched to loosehead early and won a penalty against O'Toole whose an excellent tighthead.

Looks to be a decent find and giving himself a great shot at getting some pro rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

sydthebeat wrote: »

Turner equally poor in defence and tbh his hands are not great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

he is 19.. he is likely continue to fill out and get heavier. Which may mean he has to move position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

He didn't really strike me as being particularly big watching him there. Are number 8s usually smaller than other back rows? I know Ardie Savea is relatively slight but lads like Vermeulen and Aldritt are big lumps at the back and none the worse for it.

I'd says 8s are usually the heaviest of the three backrows. Sometimes it's the blindside if you've got a big lock-like 6 in there - PSTD is 120kg, apparently.

Some heavy 8s other than Vunipola

Nick Williams 130kg
    David Lyons 127kg
    Gillian Galan 120kg
    Ben Morgan 117kg
    Duane Vermuelen 117kg
    Louis Picamoles 116kg
    Nick Easter 115kg

Weights from Wikipedia and might not be completely reliable

• Registered Users Posts: 20,005 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Completely fair result. Ulster were much more sharp in every aspect. The Leinster aerial game was totally outmatched. Ulster also looked for the interception so many times that I wonders if they were all offside all the time or if Leinster were just very slow from the base of the ruck.

Ryan Baird was very poor and Patterson made a big impact when he came on.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,077 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'd says 8s are usually the heaviest of the three backrows. Sometimes it's the blindside if you've got a big lock-like 6 in there - PSTD is 120kg, apparently.

Some heavy 8s other than Vunipola

Nick Williams 130kg
    David Lyons 127kg
    Gillian Galan 120kg
    Ben Morgan 117kg
    Duane Vermuelen 117kg
    Louis Picamoles 116kg
    Nick Easter 115kg

Weights from Wikipedia and might not be completely reliable

and who can forget....

Mathieu Bastareaud 120 kg :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Soroka is tall, nothing more right now in terms of size.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great story and interview with Barry Daly in the42 today.

https://www.the42.ie/barry-daly-5326702-Jan2021/

Great player and such a shame his career ended so early. Hard to believe he only had 36 appearances in blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,773 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Cronin and Frawley are fit to to play Munster. Ringrose and Lowe are back in training but it may be a week too soon for them.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1351172880915197956?s=09

There is positive news regarding Seán Cronin and Ciarán Frawley as both have recovered from their minor injuries, knee and hamstring respectively, and are expected to train as normal this week.

Both Garry Ringrose (jaw) and James Lowe (groin) are still being managed as they make their way back from injury and will need further assessment but are expected to train this week as they continue that progress.

There was no new injury update on a number of other players who still remain unavailable to Cullen:

Rory O’Loughlin (shoulder), Scott Penny (neck), Conor O’Brien (knee), Tommy O’Brien (ankle), Tadhg Furlong (calf), Max Deegan (knee), Vakh Abdaladze (back) and Adam Byrne (hamstring)

Tommy is now 9 weeks into a 6-8 week injury and there's still no update on him.

I'd have been hoping for more positive injury updates on him by now. Unlikely he'd have been involved in any case.

Hopefully Scott Penny is ok too. No injury update on a neck injury is rarely a quick recovery. It's hampered Cronin and Conan recently.

Can't see either Garry or Lowe being involved although there'd be significant pressure on getting them match minutes ahead of the 6N. Also Lowe playing against Munster is becoming one of my favourite parts of the fixture.

Presume Frawley will come straight into the 12 shirt. Big test for him against de Allende

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Andrew Brace reffing the Munster game. I really hope we have figured out how to play the breakdown with him reffing.

Andrew Brace reffing the Munster game. I really hope we have figured out how to play the breakdown with him reffing.

better than frank murphy, but that wouldn't be hard.

give Ruddock the captaincy, Sexton and Brace not a good combo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Had a good laugh at JVGs attempt to troll Leinster today. When asked about the Leinster criticism of Munster box kick extravaganza game plan from the last time we played each other he said that he was glad to see Leinster take a leaf out of their book vs Ulster the other weekend.

I mean, if you're going to try and troll somebody, you should at least make an effort to make it reasonable. Seems he can't even troll successfully. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Was looking through some historical results and it got me thinking have Leinster ever beaten an international side? Munster, scarlets,Cardiff, dragons and osprey have all technically beaten the all blacks in amateur days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Was looking through some historical results and it got me thinking have Leinster ever beaten an international side? Munster, scarlets,Cardiff, dragons and osprey have all technically beaten the all blacks in amateur days.

No technically about those wins...
    Wins against Fiji, italy, Romania, USA, Canada and a draw against a New Zealand XV in 1945. Wasnt an All Blacks side or even a full tour by NZ. More like a 2nd string touring group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

No technically about those wins...
    Wins against Fiji, italy, Romania, USA, Canada and a draw against a New Zealand XV in 1945. Wasnt an All Blacks side or even a full tour by NZ. More like a 2nd string touring group

Only meant technical as in that the side's have been changed slightly and combined with others to create the current region's wasn't too take away from the achievement of the results. Thanks for the information though was finding it hard to come across much online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

Only meant technical as in that the side's have been changed slightly and combined with others to create the current region's wasn't too take away from the achievement of the results. Thanks for the information though was finding it hard to come across much online.

Yeah, we played and beat Canada right before the World Cup in 2019. That's the most recent example I can think of. Doesn't happen often though, I think traditionally touring nations would play the other provinces as a way of spreading the rugby around the country, but they'd play Ireland in Leinster, so we rarely got a shot at the international sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭PMC83

Great interview with Will Connors on the Left Wing this week

https://soundcloud.com/the-left-wing/munster-vs-leinster-preview-and-will-connors-on-making-his-ireland-breakthrough

Bit of a character

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Serbian wrote: »
    Yeah, we played and beat Canada right before the World Cup in 2019. That's the most recent example I can think of. Doesn't happen often though, I think traditionally touring nations would play the other provinces as a way of spreading the rugby around the country, but they'd play Ireland in Leinster, so we rarely got a shot at the international sides.

Seems to be dying a bit as a tradition which is a pity. Some of my favourite days in Thomond were against the likes of the ABs and the Maori

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

leakyboots wrote: »
    Seems to be dying a bit as a tradition which is a pity. Some of my favourite days in Thomond were against the likes of the ABs and the Maori

There’s just no space in the calendar any more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

leakyboots wrote: »
    There was attempts by world rugby to try bring it back but didnt take off.
    Possibly not enough room in calendar but if provinces not playing league games on one/two weekends then get a game against touring side.

Same with summer tours. May also allow games against weaker international sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭leakyboots

There was attempts by world rugby to try bring it back but didnt take off.
    Possibly not enough room in calendar but if provinces not playing league games on one/two weekends then get a game against touring side.

Same with summer tours. May also allow games against weaker international sides.

Yeah maybe it's scheduling, would be a shame if it were to die off completely. Nice for fans to see players and teams from different parts of the rugby world.

It can be a bit of a launchpad for a young lad's career in some instances for the home side if it's not a full strength side out - Billy Holland, Ian Nagle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement