Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minimum wage - ten cents increase

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

This could be beleivable if he's over 50 now!

I am sorry how dear I not believe his story. Hopefully his uncle who is still delivering bread aged alot slower than Gooey.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,742 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It costs jobs. I started working at 12 delivering bread every Saturday with my uncle. He's still delivering bread but has no help. The minimum wage cost this job. There are no part time summer jobs for teens and the teens are of the attitude that if a job doesn't pay minimum wage is not worth doing

Is your uncle Auld Mr Brennan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

This could be beleivable if he's over 50 now!

Not far off the mark!

Of course it was one day a week and summer hols until the age of about 18. Something like this just isn't available for today's teens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I am sorry how dear I not believe his story. Hopefully his uncle who is still delivering bread aged alot slower than Gooey.

He's close to retirement age, has a short run closer to home, no longer works long days not that it matters

Are you going to comment on the 10c increase minimum wage or are you just here to troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

He's close to retirement age, has a short run closer to home, no longer works long days not that it matters

Are you going to comment on the 10c increase minimum wage or are you just here to troll?

We are on After Hours. Trolling is more fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vittu

All I know is that the more you earn the more work, responsibility, stress come with it.

If your boss drives a nice car it's by earning it or it's on finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Also, as we have seen during COVID, supermarket workers and food processors etc are more important to society than Fintan or Sorcha who tweets all day for a PR company on 90k a year.

Wages have never been set based on value to society, but on the rarity of skills and the capacity of an employer to pay.

That's why essential workers like supermarket staff have low wages, while non-essential entertainers like pro footballers get sky high wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Also, as we have seen during COVID, supermarket workers and food processors etc are more important to society

Yes, and that's why we built a society where they can be easily replaced so that the show is kept on the road.

Would you like the food sector of the economy to be union-riddled and overpaid like others? How would we guarantee shops would stay open in that case?

Advertisement