Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Could you expand on this?

Treated women as equal probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    I think the republicans will try to appoint a new justice before November on the basis of the election potentially going to the supreme court if its disputed. If the court only has 8 judges could you risk a 4-4 split?

The court is a 5-3 split in favour of conservatives as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The court is a 5-3 split in favour of conservatives as it is.

John Roberts hasn't always voted in line with the other conservative judges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Surely someones politics shouldnt matter,when they are a judge?

They must be impartial,otherwise whole thing is a joke

Youd think that, yes - but this is the US. It's not about impartiality and justice, is about one side versus the other and winning and losing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,125 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They should be impartial but that impartiality can vary, always will.

You'd think that but in reality it isn't the case. Hence the Republicans stonewalled the Obama nomination in 2016 to get a conservative on to the court and why they will do everything to ram through a nomination in the next few months.

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    John Roberts hasn't always voted in line with the other conservative judges

Yeah, Roberts does throw the odd curveball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    she tried to survive until trump got voted out of office and worked while fighting cancer

A pioneering woman and someone who will be rightfully remembered for her work, however she probably wasnt going to make it to 2025 anyway.

This should tip the balance of the supreme court now and allow America to re-establish its conservative views. Anyone know who the potentials are ?

And inb4 they get accused of sex assault like kavanaugh

paw patrol wrote: »
    I find your final comment bizarre, why would they respect her wishes?

What legal right does she have to make these requests?

She doesn't, she also presumes that trump wont be re-elected, she can say whatever she wants, shes not getting a dem picked replacement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭weisses

Danzy wrote: »
    They should be impartial but that impartiality can vary, always will.

It just shows once again what a ****hole the US really is

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yeah, Roberts does throw the odd curveball.

Roberts has become a swing justice rather than staunchly conservative. He doesn’t really Léan one way or the other anymore.

Mind you the only one that bitch about it are the conservatives who consistently talk about impartiality.

Its lunacy...the whole thing is premised on the assumption that the judge wont park their personal bias and uphold the law

Surely noone will rise far enough to become judge in top courts,if their decisions are riddled with political bias.....if they do america has a lot worse problems,than worrying about who gets this job

The law can be interpreted in many ways, that's the bias.

That's human nature, that's law.

It's not going to change.

weisses wrote: »
    It just shows once again what a ****hole the US really is

Where is it different?

A pioneering woman and someone who will be rightfully remembered for her work, however she probably wasnt going to make it to 2025 anyway.

This should tip the balance of the supreme court now and allow America to re-establish its conservative views. Anyone know who the potentials are ?

What are you talking about?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

Nothing specific but the framework will be there for a 5-3 majority were a decision to be taken. For all the good she did RBG was far too left aligned

Where is it different?

As to what ?

What a sh!tshow of a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Of all the institutions of the US, this is the one that always confounds me the most. It just seems so bizarre from our standpoint, where judges may have their foibles but their views on politics and social issues are unimportant and nobody cares, that the members if the SCOTUS are decided on in a partisan manner. It's mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Its lunacy...the whole thing is premised on the assumption that the judge wont park their personal bias and uphold the law

Surely noone will rise far enough to become judge in top courts,if their decisions are riddled with political bias.....if they do america has a lot worse problems,than worrying about who gets this job

This is pretty much the case. Debate is more along the lines of conservatism v liberalism in the US rather than on the issue at hand. It's a very divided place at the moment for that reason.

• Advertisement

Nothing specific but the framework will be there for a 5-3 majority were a decision to be taken. For all the good she did RBG was far too left aligned

By your standards, everyone is.

She brought balance, like it or not. A 5-4 majority now a 5-3 majority is not balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭uptherebels

You mean allow "conservatives" re-establish their views

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,584 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Oh no, someone most people in Ireland has never heard of died.

Oh no, someone most people in Ireland has never heard of died.

Speak for yourself!! Anyone who paid any attention to US politics - which is most of us - knew exactly who she was!

Itts not like she was never us the news.

Says the lad who claimed that the Varadkar assault was ‘staged’.

Stay on topic or be reported. Did my opinion offend you? Welcome to the internet.

And that caanabis selling should have the death penalty!

Same to you. Argue the thread.

• Advertisement

Same to you. Argue the thread.

Calling it a **** show is not arguing the thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Stay on topic or be reported. Did my opinion offend you? Welcome to the internet.

You think I’m offended? No, just pointing out your ridiculous hypocrisy.

You contributed to the Varadkar thread being a ‘**** show’. Pot, meet kettle.

I know....but may be the idealist in me....but to me,a judge should be able to rule againest their own personal bias and not be swayed by emotions to uphold the law

Personal bias is not being swayed by emotion.

You can have differing opinions on a case and bring to bear ones massive legal experience, case knowledge.

RGB wasn't impartial, far from it. It can be argued that she was the least impartial Judge on the bench.

She applied her interpretation of the law, bringing her vast knowledge, her understanding and experience of it.

Would be good to see Trump get the appointment done and dusted before the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,644 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Would be good to see Trump get the appointment done and dusted before the election.

For what reasons?

• Advertisement

One can hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Absolutely...we need fewer pinko liberals on the supreme court and more old fashioned sensible conservatism.

Reported for not staying on topic.

Can you report me as well please ... your posts are turning this thread into a ****show

Why? Who do you see him appointing and what do you think this person brings to the table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

RGB wasn't impartial, far from it. It can be argued that she was the least impartial Judge on the bench.

"My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed," And then she breathed her last.

For what reasons?

To have the chance of a clear majority judgement if there are issues around the election.

Reduce political instability, have a functioning supreme court etc.

antix80 wrote: »
    "My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed," And then she breathed her last.

That's nice.

A personal anecdote for her family and friends to remember.

Irrelevant to the operations of the Supreme Court and American governance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,644 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

To have the chance of a clear majority judgement if there are issues around the election.

The issue i see here is that if Trump loses he will claim issues about the election and his loaded SC will try to install him as president/dictator.

When has the SC not functioned?

I cringe when I read that. A darling of the liberals had the audacity to suggest how she should be replaced.

She will be deified now.

The issue i see here is that if Trump loses he will claim issues about the election and his loaded SC will try to install him as president/dictator.

When has the SC not functioned?

A 4/4 split doesn't guarantee clarity.

• Advertisement

I do think the SC deserves a bit more credit ... They will not act merely because Trump claims something .... I will even go as far that if you ask every member personally they want Trump out

The Republicans had no issue with a vacant seat on the Supreme Court for 14 months after Scalia died in February 2016 and that was in an election year too.

No idea who he will seek to appoint.

We have seen that the Democrats will embrace any crazy idea, the marxist BLM movement being the latest. **** like CHOP/CHAZ and the riots and looting that have been going on for months in ‘liberal’ cities like Portland and Seattle with the support of the Democrat mayors/governors etc.

Having a stronger conservative majority will hopefully protect the country from these lunatics attempting to roll back fundamental stuff like property rights (for ‘reparations’) and gun ownership rights. Plus anything around the death penalty.

Pelezico wrote: »
    I cringe when I read that. A darling of the liberals had the audacity to suggest how she should be replaced.

She will be deified now.

You cringe easily it seems

She will be deified now.

Did she have the audacity to name her preferred successor?

weisses wrote: »
    You cringe easily it seems

Indeed...nothing more amusing than a bristling liberal.

Indeed...nothing more amusing than a bristling liberal.

So is it cringing or amusing ? Or can you do both at the same time ?

Did she have the audacity to name her preferred successor?

Thank goodness no. But she should have retired years ago. She kept the seat warm for what she hoped was another pinko liberal.

Also on this

1) its not that I disbelieve she said it but it just seems an odd thing to say on your deathbed, family member with an agenda made it up perhaps ?

2) if she did say it, wow Donny T had some major free real estate in her mind, your last thought on this earth is about donald trump....

• Advertisement

Thank goodness no. But she should have retired years ago. She kept the seat warm for what she hoped was another pinko liberal.

Spite is a powerful motive.

Advertisement