Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi-LIDL Specials - Megathread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Gerry wrote: »
    Pedal warmers.. sorry, I'm missing something f here :)

Well I did say I found them to be great...

Clarified the errant phrase above but you got me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

CapnHex wrote: »
    I bought the shoe covers last year. They didn't last very long for me. Maybe I abused them too much by walking from bike shed to office in them.
    Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I found them to be great. Got a bit chaffed from pedal "wear" near the cleat opening. Otherwise still in great nick.

thanks, I think I'll chance them, I havn't had shoe covers before so I figure I'll get something relatively cheap while I figure out if I'll make use of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Just did a quick spin to test the camera. I'm happy with it, was able to read the reg plates on close passes and it seems to break the recordings down into 5 min segments which is handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

Just did a quick spin to test the camera. I'm happy with it, was able to read the reg plates on close passes and it seems to break the recordings down into 5 min segments which is handy.

A lot of nervous taxi drivers in Dublin today with all these cameras going around .
    That was a great bargain and worth its weight in gold if ever needed but hopefully not .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I can see why the manufacturers of the Fly6 are taking a case, the Aldi one is more or less identical down to the shape of the buttons which seems odd. Is the outsourced manufacturer on a solo run?

You really need to view it on the Cycliq site to see the resemblance, and the saving!

https://cycliq.com/products/fly6/

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

AmberGold wrote: »
    I can see why the manufacturers of the Fly6 are taking a case, the Aldi one is more or less identical down to the shape of the buttons which seems odd. Is the outsourced manufacturer on a solo run?

You really need to view it on the Cycliq site to see the resemblance, and the saving!

https://cycliq.com/products/fly6/

Are they taking a case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Weepsie wrote: »
    Are they taking a case?

I’ve seen various commentary, not least from Cycliq to say they are looking into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

One camera/light in the display case at Nutgrove if anyone is looking - I resisted temptation.

• Advertisement

I was pleased to find that the base layer came in XL, though the spec just mentioned L

https://www.aldi.ie/men%27s-seamless-base-layer-top/p/071274067806301

But after trying it on, it is definitely tighter than previous XL yokes I've got in Lidl or Aldi. It left me with a not-so-fetching muffin top belly sticking out, so they're going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

https://www.aldi.ie/men%27s-red-winter-cycling-jacket/p/070712102354701

Anyone see this ? Wondering if it’s breathable? Had an Aldi jacket in the past that wasn’t and was horrible to wear . This one looks nice but didnt see in Aldi when I went in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I know they dont compare to serious lights but I bought the €5 front and back clip on lights for my junk bike because its so dark in the mornings these days and Im delighted with it, super bright and visible and you just tap the glass to turn it on and off, the best cheap light I ever used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭plodder

cornet wrote: »
    Haven't used them on the bike yet, but they are seriously bright. The only question for me is how long they last on a charge. That remains to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Thargor wrote: »
    I know they dont compare to serious lights but I bought the €5 front and back clip on lights for my junk bike because its so dark in the mornings these days and Im delighted with it, super bright and visible and you just tap the glass to turn it on and off, the best cheap light I ever used.

what sort of battery do they take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

After cancelling online order from uk I managed to get a rear light/camera in Aldi Coolock. They still had one on display and could still have some in the back. I had to ask for mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    what sort of battery do they take?
    2 of the large button cells each so not ideal but my commute is only a 15 minute cycle so fine for me, 4 batteries included in the pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭cyfac

Wore the long sleeve marino base layer under a sleveless gillet this morning i was like toast 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Alanbt

A couple of the camera lights left in the Sallynoggin store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

The light set for €17.99, i used the rear light on flashing and it last near 5hrs, still life left in it when I got home.

I.just hope it lasts 1 winter at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Had a look in Aldi Parnell St. this afternoon but they had no lights left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Anyone used the camera yet ? The velcro strap for fixing it to the seat post is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Camera just keeps twisting on the post so it's not pointing directly backwards. I think a rubber elastic strap is in order.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Anyone used the camera yet ? The velcro strap for fixing it to the seat post is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Camera just keeps twisting on the post so it's not pointing directly backwards. I think a rubber elastic strap is in order.

I used both Velcro straps together and it seems to stay put okay but I don't have a lot of confidence in it either. I too will be looking for an alternative - the Velcro will be rubbish in the rain!

plodder wrote: »
    Haven't used them on the bike yet, but they are seriously bright. The only question for me is how long they last on a charge. That remains to be seen.
    So, I used them on flashing mode this morning. Quite bright, though not full power, but were easily visible. When I got to the office after 60 min cycle, I plugged them in to see how long recharge would take, and it barely registered any loss at all (as in the charge led just stayed lit). Very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭willdill

So there rwally warm mate yeh i do feel the cold big time so need a nice toastie base layer

I used both Velcro straps together and it seems to stay put okay but I don't have a lot of confidence in it either. I too will be looking for an alternative - the Velcro will be rubbish in the rain!

I had a previous rear camera with a velcro strip on the mount, and it worked fine - didn't seem to pick up the rain at all, possibly because of the position.

Is anyone else seeing some 'unusual' operation with the camera.

1) After charging, when I unplug it, the LEDs start flashing, and I have to power them off
    2) The first clip recorded on each session seems to be usuable or unplayable
    3) It just seems to stop recording after about 20 minutes with a few beeps. There is plenty of battery and space on the card, but I have to press the button again to get it going.

Is it just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

3) It just seems to stop recording after about 20 minutes with a few beeps. There is plenty of battery and space on the card, but I have to press the button again to get it going.

What size is the file? I had a similar issue with a gopro years back, turned out that once the file size hit 4.7gb at around 20 mins it would stop on lower speed cards. No idea if it's similar here, but struck me as similar reading it.

Grassey wrote: »
    What size is the file? I had a similar issue with a gopro years back, turned out that once the file size hit 4.7gb at around 20 mins it would stop on lower speed cards. No idea if it's similar here, but struck me as similar reading it.

That could be down to the formatting of the card, if it was FAT32 it would have a file size limit of around 4gb.

I had a previous rear camera with a velcro strip on the mount, and it worked fine - didn't seem to pick up the rain at all, possibly because of the position.

Is anyone else seeing some 'unusual' operation with the camera.

1) After charging, when I unplug it, the LEDs start flashing, and I have to power them off
    2) The first clip recorded on each session seems to be usuable or unplayable

Is it just me?

No, I'm having similar issue although it seems to have about 55 mins before it stopped for me. Mine is filming in 5 min increments which I like but am raging I hadn't deleted this mornings trip before I headed home this evening as it stopped in the PP - I heard the 3 beeps but just assumed it was telling me I was going below 50% battery, didn't realise I could have just turned it back on again!!!

I'm assuming a bigger card (32gb) will help with this?

That could be down to the formatting of the card, if it was FAT32 it would have a file size limit of around 4gb.

For those of us who know nothing about this, what does that mean? I just put the card that came with the camera in, I didn't do anything with it first - should I have formatted it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

from another site

"I got this reply from Quesh today when I emailed them about the shutting off problem

We are currently waiting on the national holiday in China to finish so we can obtain the firmware for this item.

This will be available on our website as an update within the next 2 weeks."

PaulieC wrote: »

Pull the strap as far as you can with just the buckle on one side sticking out , then pull it tight and it should be fine . Doesn’t budge for me now at all even on NCD backroads and that’s saying something

Grassey wrote: »

Small enough files - <500mb for 5 minutes.
    No, I'm having similar issue although it seems to have about 55 mins before it stopped for me. Mine is filming in 5 min increments which I like but am raging I hadn't deleted this mornings trip before I headed home this evening as it stopped in the PP - I heard the 3 beeps but just assumed it was telling me I was going below 50% battery, didn't realise I could have just turned it back on again!!!

I'm assuming a bigger card (32gb) will help with this?

I got to 23 minutes this evening, but it stopped again with loads of room left on the card. Bit strange.

For those of us who know nothing about this, what does that mean? I just put the card that came with the camera in, I didn't do anything with it first - should I have formatted it?

All storage has a formatting, hard drive, usb stick etc.

FAT 32 is as old as the hills but is still widely used and standard on portable storage. It has limitations one of which is a maximum file size of around 4gb.

You can get around it by formatting the card on your computer and choosing exFAT instead of FAT32. Just right click the card in my computer and choose format. You'll see it there. No real need to use it unless you are making videos of 4gb+ and if you've issues just format back to fat32. Just take care formatting it will wipe your card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

All storage has a formatting, hard drive, usb stick etc.

FAT 32 is as old as the hills but is still widely used and standard on portable storage. It has limitations one of which is a maximum file size of around 4gb.

You can get around it by formatting the card on your computer and choosing exFAT instead of FAT32. Just right click the card in my computer and choose format. You'll see it there. No real need to use it unless you are making videos of 4gb+ and if you've issues just format back to fat32. Just take care formatting it will wipe your card.

Formatting will wipe the card and delete the config settings which set the time and date that is displayed on the video recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭darraghsherwin

Just wondering if anybody else could not access the SD card on a Windows PC?
    It worked fine on OSX but could not find the config file to change the date.

Camera quality is ok but seems to get the number plate right all the time, got some footage of some boy racer type trying to overtake on a bend before having to pull in for an oncoming car and then overtaking on the next bend on a stretch of dangerous bends around Lough Gill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭youtheman

cornet wrote: »
    Got a pair of these lights, front and rear.  The front one lasted exactly 2 cycles.  Was light rain on the first cycle and water got into the unit.  At the end of the second cycle it wouldn't work at all.  Currently have it is a bag of desiccant seeing if I can dry it out.  If not then I'll have to return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I purchased the light set for €17.99 and been really impressed so far.
    The rear light held up for a 5hr spin on flashing without dying and I used the front light on dark roads this morning and really lit up dark roads. I purposely travelled on roads that are unlit to test it and was that impressed I'm off to buy a 2nd set later.

I would be very pleased if the set lasted and it gives me options to head off on the dark dry evenings for a quick spin.

youtheman wrote: »
    Got a pair of these lights, front and rear.  The front one lasted exactly 2 cycles.  Was light rain on the first cycle and water got into the unit.  At the end of the second cycle it wouldn't work at all.  Currently have it is a bag of desiccant seeing if I can dry it out.  If not then I'll have to return it.
    That's worrying. I'll have to make sure I can find the receipt, just in case. Only used them once, and it wasn't raining.

• Advertisement

Think I'll be returning the camera. It turned off 3 times on my way home yesterday and once this morning on the way into work. Also, despite having footage of a very close/dangerous pass yesterday evening I did nothing with it - the hassle involved in finding software to cut the clip in question out and doing something with it doesn't seem worth it, especially as I'd calmed down by the time I got home! Not having the loop recording is a pain as you've to download/delete the card after each trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Think I'll be returning the camera. It turned off 3 times on my way home yesterday and once this morning on the way into work. Also, despite having footage of a very close/dangerous pass yesterday evening I did nothing with it - the hassle involved in finding software to cut the clip in question out and doing something with it doesn't seem worth it, especially as I'd calmed down by the time I got home! Not having the loop recording is a pain as you've to download/delete the card after each trip.

Anyone who wants to keep the camera should really just buy a 32GB card. Complete waste of time running that 8GB one. You should get a few days worth out of the 32GB card, and they only cost a tenner or so.

And as for cutting/editing clips, it all depends on what you want the camera for, but for most the priority should be to catch a plate in a collision. I compile some clips together from time to time and have gotten used to the software to do so, but it is a pain to do all the time.

Granted if the camera is failing then it should be returned regardless of all that...

Anyone who wants to keep the camera should really just buy a 32GB card. Complete waste of time running that 8GB one. You should get a few days worth out of the 32GB card, and they only cost a tenner or so.

And as for cutting/editing clips, it all depends on what you want the camera for, but for most the priority should be to catch a plate in a collision. I compile some clips together from time to time and have gotten used to the software to do so, but it is a pain to do all the time.

Granted if the camera is failing then it should be returned regardless of all that...

TBH I'd probably keep it if it didn't keep turning off mid cycle and spend the extra on upgrading the card but I guess it's just a combination of all 3 things together that don't make it worth while for me.

I think I thought if I had a camera I'd report all the crazy lunatics that put our lives in danger every day but there are so many!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

As an aside - I use this with my car dash cam, works quite well.

Dont't know if the bike cam files are the same.

http://www.registratorviewer.com/RegistratorViewer/index_en.html

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

TBH I'd probably keep it if it didn't keep turning off mid cycle and spend the extra on upgrading the card but I guess it's just a combination of all 3 things together that don't make it worth while for me.

I think I thought if I had a camera I'd report all the crazy lunatics that put our lives in danger every day but there are so many!!

Too right. Way too many. I just started using the Virb edit software (mpeg4 not avi). My fly6 records avi so I use 'freevideoconverter 'for that. It's handy enough to edit on Virb (recommended by a boardie).

I now have to decide whether to call into a station with a clip or two. It's a dilemma. If you are unhurt is that ok? I think not. It's still dangerous. If these motorists are not at least cautioned, they will continue to be a menace. Then, if they do hit somebody, it would be better if the records showed form for crazy/aggressive driving. Better to build the case one incident at a time and get them off the road, one at a time...! They ruin one of the simple joys of life – cycling home from work!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

From the recordings I have so far I am more than happy with the camera. It seems to focus on "infinity" which the Fly6 fails at. If you are out to make a movie, it's not for you, get a Gopro or something. But If you just need evidence, and I hope you never will, then it seems to do the job. This is based on short term use, obviously!

For those asking about cutting clips, windowsmovie maker is probably the best and handiest to use, but no longer about, in general. You can get it still but there is no guarantee it will works with your computer's OS. I have win10 on a 32bit laptop and it works fine. You can add words and all that fancy stuff.

You can however use VLC to crop your video, but you can't add titles, subtitles etc, you could probably add them using uTube? VLC also has a Frame by frame facility which is very useful. You'd be surprised how you can't see a reg in a video but can when in frame by frame mode. To record a clip, just hit the "record" button when the video is playing. It's usually saved to the default windows Video folder.

Don't become the next CyclingDub though or DubCycling, whatever his name was. Please. You don't want to be that person.

VLC Pic below.
    dvssig.jpg

I cut the following video this evening from a virb 3.5gigil'obits file using VLC.

Lights are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

+1, VLC is the easiest way to cut and post footage. Do it the exact same way as Unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

My Aldi camera definitely does look recording. I formatted sd card. Have had no issues with it turning off. Get about 55mins of footage on 8gb card. Have now purchased 32gb one. I think for the price quality is excellent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Stopped on me twice, the second time I heard it beep and just turned it back on, no issues with memory.

Still debating whether to keep it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

detones wrote: »
    My Aldi camera definitely does look recording. I formatted sd card.
    Mine arrived from England, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. So it does do loop recording? And Fat32 for the formatting?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Mine arrived from England, but haven't had a chance to test it yet. So it does do loop recording? And Fat32 for the formatting?

Got mine a few days ago and only got a chance to play around with it at the weekend in the house (didn't get to go for a ride with it).

On Saturday I reformatted it using the SD formatter (recommended for formatting SD cards) and when I turned it on it turned itself off after 20 minutes twice. I was expecting this from the reviews I read but when I switched it back on for the third time it recorded 9 hours (had the light turned off and just the camera on) non stop and was loop recording.

Turned it back on to record on Sunday (without changing any settings) to see if it would do the same and it kept beeping and turning of after 20 mins. this happened 5-6 times

Not sure why it would go from working ok to turning off every 20 mins but I am going to try ringing customer support to see what they say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement