Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I know the vendor has already moved out and house is unoccupied. I imagine that a couple of viewings spread out over 2-3 weeks and then can write off loads of December due to Christmas, organize a survey in mid-late January, forget to sign a few forms for solicitor and hey presto it's March :)

But you never know what questions will arise anyway in the meantime. I was ahead of myself in getting life cover and ended up having to have hospital scans etc to prove I’m not going to keel over and die but I did all of that within 2 weeks of getting survey done. But those are the kind of things that can cause legitimate delays

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm sort of jumping ahead here, but say you grow out of your FTB property and want to move to something bigger, how does it work?

Firstly I believe you need a 20% deposit, as 10% is only applicable for FTB. So you've been paying off your mortgage for N years, a lot of interest but some capital as well. Whatever capital you have paid off, when you sell your house can/does this go towards the deposit on your new house? As such if you think you're going to be moving out at some point in the future does it make sense to overpay your mortgage (if you can afford it) in order to knock as big a chunk from the capital balance as you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm sort of jumping ahead here, but say you grow out of your FTB property and want to move to something bigger, how does it work?

Firstly I believe you need a 20% deposit, as 10% is only applicable for FTB. So you've been paying off your mortgage for N years, a lot of interest but some capital as well. Whatever capital you have paid off, when you sell your house can/does this go towards the deposit on your new house? As such if you think you're going to be moving out at some point in the future does it make sense to overpay your mortgage (if you can afford it) in order to knock as big a chunk from the capital balance as you can?

You can overpay or you can save the money.

The difference is that if you overpay you'll save some interest on the principal that you've reduced.

On the other hand having liquid savings is useful for dealing with unexpected life events. And the fact that they're unexpected means you don't know what they are.

For instance, if you overpay mortgage rather than save, lose your job, and fall into arrears, you're not going to be able to trade up because of your dodgy repayments history. Whereas if you'd had a savings cushion the bank wouldn't know.

Like most things in life it helps to have a time machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Lumen wrote: »
    You can overpay or you can save the money.

The difference is that if you overpay you'll save some interest on the principal that you've reduced.

On the other hand having liquid savings is useful for dealing with unexpected life events. And the fact that they're unexpected means you don't know what they are.

For instance, if you overpay mortgage rather than save, lose your job, and fall into arrears, you're not going to be able to trade up because of your dodgy repayments history. Whereas if you'd had a savings cushion the bank wouldn't know.

Like most things in life it helps to have a time machine.

Yeah of course. I wouldn't suggest putting every bit of spare money onto the mortgage, but you see from playing around on these mortgage calculators that even overpaying €100 each per month can save tens of thousands in interest, and over 5 years that's €12000 knocked off the capital balance which I assume can go towards the deposit for the next house.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭okeydokeys22

Does anybody know how long after making the full application to the bank will the loan offer be made?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 househunter08

Does anybody know how long after making the full application to the bank will the loan offer be made?

We had ours 2 weeks after informing the bank we were sale agreed. Looking back over emails, it looks like it was a week between when our advisor submitted the full application to the underwriters to when the loan offer was posted. This was with EBS so other banks may differ.

We had ours 2 weeks after informing the bank we were sale agreed. Looking back over emails, it looks like it was a week between when our advisor submitted the full application to the underwriters to when the loan offer was posted. This was with EBS so other banks may differ.

OK great so about a week to wait. Getting calls nearly every day from the estate agent asking why the bank valuation hasn't been carried out yet. Really piling in the pressure. Regarding the bank valuation, do I have to arrange it with the bank or is it done through the bank and estate agent. How long will that take?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 24 househunter08

OK great so about a week to wait. Getting calls nearly every day from the estate agent asking why the bank valuation hasn't been carried out yet. Really piling in the pressure. Regarding the bank valuation, do I have to arrange it with the bank or is it done through the bank and estate agent. How long will that take?

Thanks again

Again it will depend on the bank. We just paid the bank €150 and they sent out a valuer who organise a time with the EA selling the house(which just turned out to be another local estate agent). I think in some banks you have to organise this yourself. Best to get in touch with your bank advisor and ask them about it.

Again it will depend on the bank. We just paid the bank €150 and they sent out a valuer who organise a time with the EA selling the house(which just turned out to be another local estate agent). I think in some banks you have to organise this yourself. Best to get in touch with your bank advisor and ask them about it.

Thank you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks again

My broker recommended a person who was both a surveyor and accredited valuer, so that was pretty handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Of all the associated costs of buying, the house valuation appears to be the most pointless from my experience. It really irked me to pay that one

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Of all the associated costs of buying, the house valuation appears to be the most pointless from my experience. It really irked me to pay that one

Yeh a simple job really. Is the house worth the 200k we're lending you... *ticks box, collects cheque* 😂

Yeh a simple job really. Is the house worth the 200k we're lending you... *ticks box, collects cheque* ��

We paid a really odd number for our place. Which we know was above what it's currently worth on the market. But it was worth the price we paid to us, due to a number of factors.

Valuation calculated the property to be worth that exact amount :rolleyes:

Coincidence?

When I compare it to a structural survey we got for 2.5 times the price, was 56pages long, extremely detailed and got a 20min conversation with the surveyor. Well worth the money for the survey. Made me mad about paying the valuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The next only reason for a valuation is to verify that a property exists at the address stated.
    The valuation will never differ from the sale agreed price.
    It is a complete farce.

We went sale agreed about 2 weeks ago and have gotten loan offer, valuation, have mortgage protection in place and ready to go, have given booking deposit and have structural survey.

Contracts have yet to be sent from vendors solicitor to our solicitor.

Is it a bad sign that this hasn't happened over the past two weeks or is this par for the course and then some?

Have this horrid feeling vendor has changed mind about selling, but I can be a paranoid wreck at the best of times, so asking the more experienced what they think/know.

We went sale agreed about 2 weeks ago and have gotten loan offer, valuation, have mortgage protection in place and ready to go, have given booking deposit and have structural survey.

Is it a bad sign that this hasn't happened over the past two weeks or is this par for the course and then some?

Have this horrid feeling vendor has changed mind about selling, but I can be a paranoid wreck at the best of times, so asking the more experienced what they think/know.
    Two weeks since sale agreed, it would be exceptional if you had gotten the contracts at this point. It can take months to get the contracts depending on many variables. You would think, if the selling parties solicitor was in any way organised it could be done in a few weeks but this is rarely the case with second hand properties in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 TT rainbows

Dont worry its normal enough. But keep in touch with your solicitor. If you still dont hear anything you could ask your solicitor to advise their solicitor (the seller) you are keen on a quick close.
    Sometimes I found following contact things moved along.
    It can be very frustrating not knowing if things are going through the normal course or events or if its just on a to do list in a busy office. Both sides probably have a lot of clients so I would advise keeping politely in touch with your solicitor so its not pushed to the bottom of his pile. Good luck & congrats- you are in the final stages now..

kippy wrote: »
    Two weeks since sale agreed, it would be exceptional if you had gotten the contracts at this point. It can take months to get the contracts depending on many variables. You would think, if the selling parties solicitor was in any way organised it could be done in a few weeks but this is rarely the case with second hand properties in my opinion.
    Dont worry its normal enough. But keep in touch with your solicitor. If you still dont hear anything you could ask your solicitor to advise their solicitor (the seller) you are keen on a quick close.
    Sometimes I found following contact things moved along.
    It can be very frustrating not knowing if things are going through the normal course or events or if its just on a to do list in a busy office. Both sides probably have a lot of clients so I would advise keeping politely in touch with your solicitor so its not pushed to the bottom of his pile. Good luck & congrats- you are in the final stages now..

Thank you both. EA for vendor did get back to say "don't worry, will be with you soon" Thanks for the congrats too - everyone is telling me how exciting the process is and I feel like I'm missing out on the excitement because I'm so bloody stressed out all the time.

The thoughts of ever having to do this again in my life are so dreadful. I'm never trading up!

Thank you both. EA for vendor did get back to say "don't worry, will be with you soon" Thanks for the congrats too - everyone is telling me how exciting the process is and I feel like I'm missing out on the excitement because I'm so bloody stressed out all the time.

The thoughts of ever having to do this again in my life are so dreadful. I'm never trading up!

Theres no excitement till you have the keys in your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Two to god knows how many months depending on tons of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Chances are the sellers are waiting on the bank to release the deeds I'd say .

Agree on the above its only when you get the keys that the stress will stop ,the fun is only beginning dealing with solicitors ect

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Chances are the sellers are waiting on the bank to release the deeds I'd say .

This is actually exactly what the EA said to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

That itself can take up to 8 weeks, banks are incredibly slow.
    Both parties wanted a quick sale in our case and it still took 3,5 months to close because we waited almost 7 weeks on the deeds.

LirW wrote: »
    That itself can take up to 8 weeks, banks are incredibly slow.
    Both parties wanted a quick sale in our case and it still took 3,5 months to close because we waited almost 7 weeks on the deeds.

7 weeks? That is abnormally long, is it? Or average waiting time?

We went sale agreed two weeks ago. No chain, we both want a quick sale. We were told before Christmas and I was really naive and told landlord we were sale agreed, thinking we would be in before Xmas. He had the sense to say "wait and come back to me when your solicitor has a timeframe"

The only thing that has held us up is the bank so no surprise to hear they are behind this delay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

No that is pretty average, whenever you request anything from a bank it takes a very long time. Mind you, you're even approaching holiday season now so it gets worse.
    Honestly I think it's very optimistic to be in by Christmas - there might be issues coming up in the contract, with the deeds, regarding the house itself.
    For example our house has a shed that leans to one of the walls, our solicitor needed to request exemption for planning first and this took another 10 days. Common issues are boundary issues, extensions that aren't conforming with regulations, right of way etc. All this takes a while and usually solicitors won't do anything in that regard until the contract has arrived.

Do your homework and do everything you can now. Get your survey, get quotes for eventual work, go for more viewings to measure things, take pictures, plan your rooms. It not only gives you something to do but it can save you time in the long run.

But I wish you good luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

We were sale agreed 22 weeks before my solicitor got contracts. She has had to send them back for minor amendments. That was almost 3 weeks ago. Nothing since. Vendors solicitor is a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Theres no excitement till you have the keys in your hands.

Agreed, they say you never own a house until you have the keys in hand and you've had sex in at least two rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

We've been sale agreed since July . Planning issues and the engineer took his time , delayed 21 weeks before we can even get to the banking solicitors etc I'm fit to be tied at this stage

Oh god, I've been REALLY optimistic!!! We have survey done and are going to get a full heating system service lined up, priced.have measured for couch and bed and am currently looking around for the bed. Also clearing out attic and shed where we are to make the move itself less stressful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

7 weeks? That is abnormally long, is it? Or average waiting time?

We went sale agreed two weeks ago. No chain, we both want a quick sale. We were told before Christmas and I was really naive and told landlord we were sale agreed, thinking we would be in before Xmas. He had the sense to say "wait and come back to me when your solicitor has a timeframe"

The only thing that has held us up is the bank so no surprise to hear they are behind this delay too.
    Same here.
    Sale agreed a couple of weeks ago, no chain, property vacant, we are held up waiting for contracts.
    I've told my current landlord where we are but it's looking less and less likely we will be in by christmas. I'd be happy to just have the contracts signed before christmas and get a closing date for early Jan at this stage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement