Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2015/16/17/18/19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 valovalo

Hi..

Looked at a house today I an area that looks lovely and well maintained but EA said there is a certain type if family renting next door and that the house has been sale agreed twice but pulled out due to them next door
    He has said that they are going to be moved but I don't trust him and don't wanna make a big mistake, should i wait and see??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

valovalo wrote: »
    Hi..

Looked at a house today I an area that looks lovely and well maintained but EA said there is a certain type if family renting next door and that the house has been sale agreed twice but pulled out due to them next door
    He has said that they are going to be moved but I don't trust him and don't wanna make a big mistake, should i wait and see??

Why take the risk?

Why take the risk?
    I know ya ; such a shame as house is lovely and well worth more than asking price,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

as house is lovely and well worth more than asking price,

that would be a red flag for me. I also wouldn't take the risk. Also, not sure what a "certain type of family" refers to exactly, but even if they are moving in, if landlord has a propensity to rent to that "type", the new neighbours could end up being the same

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    that would be a red flag for me. I also wouldn't take the risk. Also, not sure what a "certain type of family" refers to exactly, but even if they are moving in, if landlord has a propensity to rent to that "type", the new neighbours could end up being the same

They are currently renting in the property and no guarantee they will be moved out but EA had said that the rest of the neighbours are up in arms over their behaviour and conduct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

They are currently renting in the property and no guarantee they will be moved out but EA had said that the rest of the neighbours are up in arms over their behaviour and conduct

Means nothing I'm afraid. Just read through the threads of landlords unable to get rid of tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭zedhead

derekbro wrote: »
    On the revenue site there is something about requesting a pin/forgotten pin, They will send it to your registered address on revenue( i changed it to our new address). I closed in July and did this in September and I got documents in the post last week for the LPT.

Excellent, we closed in September and to be honest it hadn't crossed my mind until this week. Will try that this evening.

Honestly - you will find a nicer home.

If they are that bad, there is no way that the inside of that house is as well-kept as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If you buy the house and it's worth taking the risk for you, go for it. The real trouble starts if the landlord struggles to remove them and they're overholding. This can take a long time to turf them out legally.
    Do you have kids? If yes, could you potentially take it that they will be harassed by feral neighbors?

Is there any chance you could get in touch with the current landlord? If they genuinely trying to sell there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.

I looked at a house in a pretty sh1tty area when I started house-hunting, the house itself was really nice but it had sitting tenants and I doubted that they'd move. But they did and when I followed up the house was sold quickly then. It's really on you to outweigh the risk.

Don't forget, you're handing over the biggest amount of money you'll ever have for the house you buy.

Dovies wrote: »
    Means nothing I'm afraid. Just read through the threads of landlords unable to get rid of tenants.

True ya, feel sorry for seller as she just cannot sell it
    Twice sake agreed until the neighbours sent the kids out ect and then they pulled out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Confused ftb

Would also love to know how long it takes.

Can I ask how long it took from your official application to drawdown? Also, when does your repayments begin? Just need to prepare

Ours is a new build so it has been almost 6 months since loan offer, we also have a moratorium so we don't have to pay for the first 3 months but I'd assume it would be the first of the month after drawdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭okeydokeys22

Ours is a new build so it has been almost 6 months since loan offer, we also have a moratorium so we don't have to pay for the first 3 months but I'd assume it would be the first of the month after drawdown.

Makes sense. Ideally i would like to hold off on closing everything until after Xmas to allow us to save a bit more.

Also, when exactly do I become responsible legally for the house - is it the day you sign contracts or the closing date?

If we sign contracts on Nov 25th for egs and closing Is 4 weeks from the signing date, will it be before or after Xmas we would get the keys? Would I as the buyer have a say in this?

Makes sense. Ideally i would like to hold off on closing everything until after Xmas to allow us to save a bit more.

Also, when exactly do I become responsible legally for the house - is it the day you sign contracts or the closing date?

If we sign contracts on Nov 25th for egs and closing Is 4 weeks from the signing date, will it be before or after Xmas we would get the keys? Would I as the buyer have a say in this?

I don't know but I would think you're legally responsible for the house from drawdown. That's when the mortgage protection kicks in so to me it would make sense for it to be then.

But, just cause it makes sense, doesn't mean a jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I arranged a callback from BOI this evening to discuss a mortgage application as I don't really get the chance to go into a branch, and they just never called. Wonderful customer service.

I arranged a callback from BOI this evening to discuss a mortgage application as I don't really get the chance to go into a branch, and they just never called. Wonderful customer service.

Try ebs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Get a broker. They talk to the banks, get multiple AIP's and when you go to get a full loan offer, you will appreciate having a choice.

Get a broker. They talk to the banks, get multiple AIP's and when you go to get a full loan offer, you will appreciate having a choice.

I've been back and forth on this and had figured I would just do it myself, but my few attempts to actually talk to the banks myself have resulted in such appalling customer service on their part (BOI not calling yesterday, had a KBC mortgage advisor not show up to a meeting in one of their branches) that I'm veering back towards using a broker again.

BOI actually rang me at 9am this morning. The guy either pretended to not know, or genuinely didn't know that I had scheduled this call for last night. No good to me this morning obviously, as I'm in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

We didn't go with BOI in the end but got AIP with them. I always found them brilliant

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    We didn't go with BOI in the end but got AIP with them. I always found them brilliant

We are with boi. Didn't go swimmingly but also wasn't a disaster and to their credit they followed up on their mistakes quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I've been back and forth on this and had figured I would just do it myself, but my few attempts to actually talk to the banks myself have resulted in such appalling customer service on their part (BOI not calling yesterday, had a KBC mortgage advisor not show up to a meeting in one of their branches) that I'm veering back towards using a broker again.

BOI actually rang me at 9am this morning. The guy either pretended to not know, or genuinely didn't know that I had scheduled this call for last night. No good to me this morning obviously, as I'm in work.

I'm with BOI through one of their mobile mortgage managers - they will come to you and she's been brilliant to deal with through email since.

• Advertisement

Vetch wrote: »
    I'm with BOI through one of their mobile mortgage managers - they will come to you and she's been brilliant to deal with through email since.

They work for the bank though. The bank isn't really your friend in this process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

They work for the bank though. The bank isn't really your friend in this process.

I was addressing your difficulties getting to the bank! That's all.

Vetch wrote: »
    I was addressing your difficulties getting to the bank! That's all.

Fair enough, you're right on that one, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

I've got AIP from my bank, subject to completion of probation which is not until March. I've found a house that I'm interested in and current owner is not in a chain. What's the best way for me to drag out the process of the sale so that I'm ready for draw down in March? Looking to make it take about 16-18 weeks in total.
    I realise that's the complete opposite of most people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I've got AIP from my bank, subject to completion of probation which is not until March. I've found a house that I'm interested in and current owner is not in a chain. What's the best way for me to drag out the process of the sale so that I'm ready for draw down in March? Looking to make it take about 16-18 weeks in total.
    I realise that's the complete opposite of most people :D

A crap solicitor?! I’m over 20 weeks sale agreed and no drawdown because vendors solicitor couldn’t be arsed drawing up contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

I tried a few of the banks and it was a no go for me being a young single male. BOI offered me a mortgage of 68k when i had savings of 20k was a bit of a joke. Spoke to the broker Killian Sullivan you'll see him recommend all over boards. Advised me the target i needed to save for the mortgage i wanted and got me a really good rate as well. Cannot rate him high enough. About 7 of us in work have used him and everyone says the same thing that they cannot recommend him high enough.

fg1406 wrote: »
    A crap solicitor?! I’m over 20 weeks sale agreed and no drawdown because vendors solicitor couldn’t be arsed drawing up contracts.
    Total opposite of what everyone else wants! Although I suppose, I could tell a good solicitor to take their time

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Total opposite of what everyone else wants! Although I suppose, I could tell a good solicitor to take their time

Exactly! It’s painful as my lease ends on 31 December. But maybe check what the vendors situation is because being on the flip side of delays is so painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

i have yet to find someone say they had a good solicitor when buying a house :D

• Advertisement

fg1406 wrote: »
    Exactly! It’s painful as my lease ends on 31 December. But maybe check what the vendors situation is because being on the flip side of delays is so painful.
    I know the vendor has already moved out and house is unoccupied. I imagine that a couple of viewings spread out over 2-3 weeks and then can write off loads of December due to Christmas, organize a survey in mid-late January, forget to sign a few forms for solicitor and hey presto it's March :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement