Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Nothing gets up the noses of the middle classes (and wannabe middle classes) quite like an every day fella with a thick Dublin accent..... making piles of money ;)

Well done Brendan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Nothing gets up the noses of the middle classes (and wannabe middle classes) quite like an every day fella with a thick Dublin accent..... making piles of money ;)

Well done Brendan...

Yea, the accent. That's the problem with the show....

Well done Brendan...

What utter nonsense. No one begrudges the man his success, much like Robin Williams, he's managed to turn stealing others work into a multi million dollar empire and more power to him. Doesn't mean that those of us who dislike his particular form of comedy can't comment on it. How anyone can defend a film that needs to resort to casual racism in order to raise a laugh is beyond me.

Rabbo wrote: »
    Yea, the accent. That's the problem with the show....

You missed my point, and that's ok.
    What utter nonsense. No one begrudges the man his success, much like Robin Williams, he's managed to turn stealing others work into a multi million dollar empire and more power to him. Doesn't mean that those of us who dislike his particular form of comedy can't comment on it. How anyone can defend a film that needs to resort to casual racism in order to raise a laugh is beyond me.

:D:D:D
    Even on your most Irish Times-tucked-under-your-arm-Insomnia-Mochafrappacino-in-hand-as-you-browse-through-Brown-Thomas day, you surely don't really believe that...

You missed my point, and that's ok.

:D:D:D
    Even on your most Irish Times-tucked-under-your-arm-Insomnia-Mochafrappacino-in-hand-as-you-browse-through-Brown-Thomas day, you surely don't really believe that...

I'm sure there are a few out there that do but the vast majority of people don't. Sadly in this country the instant defence of any criticism leveled at an Irish person is that it all boils down to begrudgery. Criticise U2 and you're met with a chorus of "begrudgery". It's a uniquely Irish trait and one that really needs to be done away with.

I'm sure there are a few out there that do but the vast majority of people don't. Sadly in this country the instant defence of any criticism leveled at an Irish person is that it all boils down to begrudgery. Criticise U2 and you're met with a chorus of "begrudgery". It's a uniquely Irish trait and one that really needs to be done away with.

Not from me, Lad - I think U2 are brrrrrutal!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Robert2012

Not from me, Lad - I think U2 are brrrrrutal!

Lmao, a troll with 4076 posts...I must read some of them

Robert2012 wrote: »

Oh, of course... I happen to have an opinion you don't agree with so I must be a troll... rrrriggghhhhtttt....

And don't call people "Lad", thats what 14 year wannabe middle class kids do, theres a good "Chap"..

• Advertisement

And don't call people "Lad", thats what 14 year wannabe middle class kids do, theres a good "Chap"..

Now that's some mighty fine trolling. Keep 'er lit...

Oh, of course... I happen to have an opinion you don't agree with so I must be a troll... rrrriggghhhhtttt....

No, thats not what a Troll does, at all, at all..A troll appears on a thread, and posts irrelevant inflammatory replies to other posters, while completely disregarding the subject of the thread...

As I'm sure you are aware, having nearly 4,100 posts at this stage..

You haven't actually given an opinion about the movie here, you chose to comment on the supposed middle class aspirations of one of the posters here...Hilariously funny to you, I'm sure, but irrelevant to the thread, and therefore Troll-ing..

I would expect better from someone who has "apparently" clocked up as many posts as you have here

Now that's some mighty fine trolling. Keep 'er lit...

Oh go away, you silly boy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If there's one thing more tiresome than the argument of 'begrudgery' over Mrs. Brown, it's a suggestion that there's some form of class snobbery at play, as if O'Carroll's accent or origins has anything to do with peoples thoughts on his comedy. Talk about taking the man, not the ball; all by way of some lazy, insulting generalisations.

It is funny how little of this thread has contained discussion of the movie itself, but when it descends into cheap-shots about the personality of the franchise's critics, it surely has nowhere to go. No more than e_e mentioned previously, my own annoyance over the show probably stems from its apparent ubiquity, it really is being marketed into the ground & there's little escaping it at the moment. Hate the material, but hey, ultimately I suspect it'll be a footnote in comedy history, an example of a brief renaissance in the sitcom stylings of yesteryear. It's not too dissimilar a beast to something like Miranda really, another show that clearly has its foot in the 1970s, even if Miranda Hart is taking inspiration from a broader comic like like Eric Sykes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

If this thread is anything to go by it seems to be impossible to have a genuine opinion on this show without being either an idiot, an elitist or a begrudger.

Or maybe it's just that people love/hate different things and are allowed to have a strong opinion without being absurdly mischaracterized?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So it's not the fact that his radio show was sh*te, his plays were awful and his TV show is boring and unoriginal? It's the fact that his accent is different to mine that annoys me about him?

Got it.

Thanks for clearing that up. Here was me thinking I just didn't enjoy the show but you've opened my eyes to the fact that I'm just a snob.

God bless the simple pleasures of talking down to someone who can't make a decent argument! It really cheers one up over a glass of port and some roasted pheasant so it does!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Why did class get dragged into this? The mind boggles.... I've already said that I consider this show something of a guilty pleasure but if it's being marketed this heavily, I blame ye at all for getting irritated. I'm heading home this time next week so I'll see for myself.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

My my, I've touched a nerve :D
    The Bro'ism of the Film forum is a glorious sight to behold.
    My original points rings true, tis apparent in many walks of Irish life.
    An ordinary chap with millions in the bank just doesn't sit right with certain people. Some of whom are posting in this thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep it civil. No more of these generalised insults - people should be free to like or dislike this without being categorized. In fact, totally forget we have an amendment to the film board charter on that very subject ready to go to keep these sort of ridiculous arguments bursting out every other week.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    So it's not the fact that his radio show was sh*te, his plays were awful and his TV show is boring and unoriginal? It's the fact that his accent is different to mine that annoys me about him?

Got it.

Thanks for clearing that up. Here was me thinking I just didn't enjoy the show but you've opened my eyes to the fact that I'm just a snob.

God bless the simple pleasures of talking down to someone who can't make a decent argument! It really cheers one up over a glass of port and some roasted pheasant so it does!

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

i liked it, it had a strong save moore street message which is a real issue

• Advertisement

The Bro'ism of the Film forum is a glorious sight to behold.
    My original points rings true, tis apparent in many walks of Irish life.
    An ordinary chap with millions in the bank just doesn't sit right with certain people. Some of whom are posting in this thread.

So WHIP IT, back on topic...Did you enjoy the movie? What was your favourite bit? Or perhaps, if you didn't see it, maybe share with us some of your favourite Brendan O'Carroll moments, purely in a non-elitist way, of course..Anything to contribute to the substantive argument?

As an experiment I sat down and tried to watch an episode of the show to see if maybe it wasn't the dated and unoriginal gags, the atrocious acting and cheap production values that made me think the show was crap but rather the fact that I am or aspire to be middle class. After a laugh less 5 minutes of the episode I turned it. Honestly there is nothing there that justifies the manner in which people defend the show. It's lowest common denominator trash that even Rob Schneider would be offended to be involved in. The jokes, if you can call them that would have felt dated in the 70s.

I dislike the show, the film and everything associated with is because it's just poorly made and tacky as hell. It's simply not funny and you know what that doesn't mean that I have a problem with anyone involved in the show or it's fans. It simply means that it's not my thing and I'd rather watch an episode of The League or Curb Your Enthusiasm or any of the other dozen comedies I enjoy. I opted tonight to rewatch and episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, a show why can generate genuine laughs from casual racism, one that can do so in an intelligent and original way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 jonah_whale

Well done Brendan...

i pretty much hold the D4 chattering ( middle class irish times reading wealthy liberal ) classes with complete contempt but i hate MBB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

"Irish Times reading"?

Wow.

Yeah people don't like being mischaracterized and put into a box by virtue of having a differing viewpoint. It's a perfectly reasonable response and not a reason to act smug on your part.

In fact I'd love to know what your point that still stands is, and how does it relate to Brendan O'Carroll? I don't see a single post on here personally attacking him or his success. Moreover, what in MBB do you deem to be worthy of defense?

I was at the Savoy when it opened today for a different film, and there was a pretty significant queue waiting for the doors to open at half one. When we got in, it was announced that the first screening of Mrs Brown's Boys was cancelled, and then quickly rescheduled for twenty minutes later when it became apparent that the vast majority of people in the queue were there for the film. I genuinely got the impression that many of the people there weren't regular cinema goers at all, making a very rare trip indeed, and indeed whole families along for the trip.

Whatever we say - and at times it can be incredibly tempting to say a lot of things - but this film is a genuine popular phenomenon the likes of which are rarely seen these days. Very little doubt there'll be a Mrs Brown's Movie Part 2 somewhere along the line if that kind of success continues.

Went to see How to Train Your Dragon 2 earlier at Cineworld, there were only 4 others in my 11:30 screening but there seemed to be a tonne of people coming out of MBB which started at the same time. I really would've predicted the film a flop because the trailer more or less died a death every time I've seen it played, but like you say it seems like a rare film (like The King's Speech) that's drawing in a non-cinema audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Very little doubt there'll be a Mrs Brown's Movie Part 2 somewhere along the line if that kind of success continues.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've read that he has a trilogy planned

fruvai wrote: »
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've read that he has a trilogy planned

OMG, I'm so excited a little bit of wee just came out

Haha, wee!

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    Haha, wee!

Just keeping in theme with the subject matter ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

OMG, I'm so excited a little bit of wee just came out

If Brendan is reading this thread he's gonna steal that.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭paddyirish23

Am I the only person who looked the tv show but hated the movie? !

"Irish Times reading"?

Wow.

Oh dear. You might need to re-read the post.

“Wow” :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Am I the only person who looked the tv show but hated the movie? !

A fair few fans of the show aren't well taken with it by the looks of things. I've not seen it. I lack the temerity to ask a sales clerk for a ticket so I don't think I'll be seeing it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Yeah people don't like being mischaracterized and put into a box by virtue of having a differing viewpoint. It's a perfectly reasonable response and not a reason to act smug on your part.

In fact I'd love to know what your point that still stands is, and how does it relate to Brendan O'Carroll? I don't see a single post on here personally attacking him or his success. Moreover, what in MBB do you deem to be worthy of defense?

Yes I quite agree, I was 'mischaracterised' as a 'troll' because I have a certain viewpoint... it was most unpleasant.

Where have I defended MBB? I simply made a statement which, like it or not, is quite accurate... and every narcissist on the Film Forum lost their mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Licencetokill

Seen it last week, biggest load of dirt I've ever watched. I liked the earlier dvds but
    This was appalingly bad.

Where have I defended MBB? I simply made a statement which, like it or not, is quite accurate... and every narcissist on the Film Forum lost their mind...
    It's not accurate and it's remarkably condescending and petty. That you're still name-calling just shows that you didn't get the message.

In fact you seem to be posting here just to stir **** yet are indignant about being called a troll. Well if the shoe fits.

Again, what is your argument and, more crucially, what do you have to back it up?

Also not liking Mrs Brown's Boys = narcissism? You're going to have to elaborate on that one lest you appear to be pulling ad-hominems out of thin air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,181 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A fair few fans of the show aren't well taken with it by the looks of things. I've not seen it. I lack the temerity to ask a sales clerk for a ticket so I don't think I'll be seeing it.
    ha yeah it's like buying your first condoms!!

Also not liking Mrs Brown's Boys = narcissism? You're going to have to elaborate on that one lest you appear to be pulling ad-hominems out of thin air.

:D Yes, that's exactly what I said isn't it...

So you're going to repeatedly do the transparent "hahaha I made a really vague and arbitrary point but no I'm not gonna elaborate on it you're just going to have to guess!" thing?

Is the title supposed to imply its bad, as in its a D-Movie, like the way B-Movies are second rate?

WHIP IT, stop trolling.

Everyone else, stop replying to the clear flamebait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Is the title supposed to imply its bad, as in its a D-Movie, like the way B-Movies are second rate?

really?? d'movie is a colloquial way of saying the movie.
    you know like d'unbelievables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭roshje

Saw the movie tonight, ahh was grand a few laughs wont win an oscar but maybe a ifta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

roshje wrote: »
    Saw the movie tonight, ahh was grand a few laughs wont win an oscar but maybe a ifta

Damning with faint praise there....

Just got back from Transformers 4 and saw this little abomination outside the door. I'm amazed there's any skin left on the industry's fingers if this is how many times they've had to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

movies-pudsey-the-movie-poster.jpg

Apparently, it was on the X-Factor or something.... I nearly had to google it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭roshje

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Damning with faint praise there....

Wait and see

• Advertisement
Advertisement