Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GERRYMAC65

Lemlin wrote: »
    There's no point changing Hyland and Andrews tbh. I'm now thinking I'd prefer that Hyland was left to the job on his own. I saw Andrews' interview after the game and he didn't appear to have the spirit needed to lift this panel.

There's alot of work to be done. The performance was poor and, as the Celt pointed out this week, we've now been beaten 3 years in a row by Division 4 sides.

I really hope that the minors or juniors can lift the county again.
    Andrews claims the Cavan priority this year was the u21s,and next year it will be promotion to Div 2 ? sounds like pie in the sky to me. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

GERRYMAC65 wrote: »
    Andrews claims the Cavan priority this year was the u21s,and next year it will be promotion to Div 2 ? sounds like pie in the sky to me. :confused:

Sounds like excuses tbh. Although I did say at the start of the year I'd take the U21s winning an Ulster title over the seniors even winning a game.

That said, I expected us to at least be competitive in the qualifiers if up against a Division 4 team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Well done to the minors on making it to the Ulster final. Cavan 2-13 Tyrone 2-10. Let's hope they can follow the example of the U21's. We have to start somewhere. The hard work at underage is finally bearing some fruit.

Am I right in thinking this now sees Cavan go into the qualifers at minor even if they lose?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=150916

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Am I right in thinking this now sees Cavan go into the qualifers at minor even if they lose?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=150916

Yeah, they are into the quarter finals now, if they win Ulster they will play the runners up from Connaught and if they are beaten in Ulster they will play the winners of Connaught.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they are into the quarter finals now, if they win Ulster they will play the runners up from Connaught and if they are beaten in Ulster they will play the winners of Connaught.

Good stuff so. The final is before the senior match so tickets may be hard to come by. I'd still expect a large Cavan crowd though.

Good stuff so. The final is before the senior match so tickets may be hard to come by. I'd still expect a large Cavan crowd though.

I got myself uptodate with the structure after Tipps famous win in the Munster Final yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

good win for the minors good to see some talent coming through
    we must win this ulster final now its been 37 years since we last won it

keep the faith

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

any result from leinster jnr final tonight?

Kildare won comfortably enough AFAIK

• Advertisement

Best of luck to Cavan minors in the Ulster final today against Armagh. Armagh are second favourites for the AI behind Dublin so hopefully being underdogs will suit our lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

fair dues to the cavan minors today... great to see the underage teams doing well and hopefully in a few years down from now the u21s and minors will be taking the senior team back to the top... :)

now to take the all ireland home too :D

Fantastic result for the minors yesterday. Kept Armagh scoreless for more than 30 minutes in the second half.

Another great lift for football supporters in the county. Our senior team may be one of the worst in the country but at least we know now that something is coming through.

And, to think that this year's U21 side is only losing 8 players. 8 players who can be replaced with these minors.

Here's hoping for another trip to Croker.

great result for big dermot and all involved for such a poor year on the senior front the underage set up is obviously reaping the rewards for their hard work , now we must develop the mentality that we can push on and win national titles

an cabhan abu

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Absolutely delighted for them. Thats a u21 and minor Ulster double this year and a huge breath of fresh air for Cavan football. Hopefully these lads will now have the confidence to stay committed for the coming years and make the breakthrough to the Cavan senior squad.

Also great to see two Shercock lads play such a big role in yesterdays superb second half.

cournioni wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted for them. Thats a u21 and minor Ulster double this year and a huge breath of fresh air for Cavan football. Hopefully these lads will now have the confidence to stay committed for the coming years and make the breakthrough to the Cavan senior squad.

Also great to see two Shercock lads play such a big role in yesterdays superb second half.
    Some footage and interviews of the game...

http://www.jeromequinnmedia.com/watch/Cavan-Minors-Interviews-579

Next game for Cavan minors is against Galway on Saturday July 30th in Longford.

Here's hoping it goes better than the U21 final.

Said I'd ressurect this thread, plenty going on with Cavan football at the minute.

The Gaels marched onto another senior championship at the weekend. Marched being the word because they had little competition. I thought Ballinagh would put it up to them this year but alas it wasn't so.

Hopefully they can give a decent account of themselves in Ulster.

The ladies are off to Croke Park again this weekend. Here's hoping they can bring back a bit more silverware for the county after out minor and U21 wins this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Got an email fowarded to me the other day with a PowerPoint presentation apparently based on the recommendations made to the County Board for restructuring football in the county. I don know how official it is but it says;
    • STATUS TO BE DETERMINED BY LEAGUE PERFORMANCE (FROM 2013);
    • 2012 LEAGUES TO DETERMINE STATUS FOR 2013;
    • 2013 AND THEREAFTER:
    > 10 TEAMS IN SENIOR LEAGUE (18 games) AND CHAMPIONSHIP (with SIX GROUP TEAMS);
    > 10 TEAMS IN INTERMEDIATE LEAGUE (18 games) AND CHAMPIONSHIP;
    > 20 TEAMS IN JUNIOR LEAGUES [2 LEAGUES, 3(A) & 3(B)] AND CHAMPIONSHIP (1);
    • KNOCK-OUT WITH NOVICE GRADE FOR FIRST ROUND LOSERS (i.e. GUARANTEE OF TWO GAMES).
    • SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE PLAYED LATE JULY TO MID SEPTEMBER (FIVE WEEKENDS);
    • INTERMEDIATE CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE PLAYED BETWEEN BEGINNING OF MAY AND MID JULY (FIVE WEEK-ENDS);
    • JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP TO BE PLAYED OVER FIVE WEEK-ENDS FROM LATE APRIL TO MID JULY, WITH PRELIMINARY ROUND LOSERS GOING INTO A NOVICE CHAMPIONSHIP (SIX WEEKENDS);
    • DIVISIONS 4 & 5 CHAMPIONSHIPS AS BEST SUITS COUNTY BOARD
    Having 18 Div 1 league games is crazy. There are already too many meaningless matchs as there is, prolonging the league will only make this worse. Amalgamating weaker teams is grand but shouldnt happen for senior championship. If anything there should be a senior championship for individual clubs with another competition where Intermediate/Junior teams join up to take on the senior teams - this could be done if the Div 1 teams played each other only once and senior championship was played at the same time as Intermediate and Junior championships.

Got Donegal in the draw last night. For fook's sake! Of all the teams from Ulster we'd have to get. I was praying for Fermanagh! Antrim or even Monaghan we would have taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Got Donegal in the draw last night. For fook's sake! Of all the teams from Ulster we'd have to get. I was praying for Fermanagh! Antrim or even Monaghan we would have taken.

Cavan are a weak team but Donegal play too defensively and negatively.If Cavan can use the ball effectively and run at the Donegal defense,they might cause an upset but expect a very low scoring game.

My head!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tough luck on the cavan ladies today, westmeath just got over the line. 5pts up with 10 to play but some very silly tackling allowed westmeath back into it, one yellow and a pen given away - entertaining enough game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Tough luck on the cavan ladies today, westmeath just got over the line. 5pts up with 10 to play but some very silly tackling allowed westmeath back into it, one yellow and a pen given away - entertaining enough game.

You forgot to mention the complete idiot of a ref, who seemed to give Westmeath frees for little or nothing and also should have awarded a free out to Cavan before they conceded the penalty...not sour grapes, just telling the truth...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,170 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

muincav wrote: »
    You forgot to mention the complete idiot of a ref, who seemed to give Westmeath frees for little or nothing and also should have awarded a free out to Cavan before they conceded the penalty...not sour grapes, just telling the truth...

It normally seems to the loser who sees the ref as an idiot though - I'm sure Westmeath fans could point out a few frees that they thought they should have had, if they lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Cavan played with 14 players for 20 minutes of the 2nd half. Hard to win All-Ireland finals with that level of indiscipline.

The referee didn't cost Cavan the match, their own players did.

Think it's a case of a Kerry man getting us back for Joe's mishaps in the mens final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

cournioni wrote: »
    Think it's a case of a Kerry man getting us back for Joe's mishaps in the mens final.

In what way?

Cavan were 5 points up with a few minutes left and failed to close out the game. A few stupid fouls cost Cavan the game, not the referee.

Westmeath used their 1 player advantage very well. It was the most significant factor in Cavan throwing away this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Gophur wrote: »
    In what way?

Cavan were 5 points up with a few minutes left and failed to close out the game. A few stupid fouls cost Cavan the game, not the referee.

Westmeath used their 1 player advantage very well. It was the most significant factor in Cavan throwing away this game.

I suggest you actually take a look at the game again and then comment-as I said it was not sour grapes...yes Cavan did lose a 5 point lead but NOT all of their own doing....The ref was bad and as a Cavanman I can also say Joe Mc Quillan makes some terrible decisions too and I can see them just as I did the ref in the Ladies FINAL on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Cavan ladies had no-one to blame but themselves and that's the pity. Donna English stupidly got a yellow card when Cavan were 5 points up and she could have let the opposition player just take the point.

The rest of the players just seemed to lose the heads then and all tactics just fell apart.

they did well to get that far and should have won it when up by 5
    but credit to westmeath i think they just about shaded it over the 2 days

Word has it that all of the county team got letters stating that they'll be called if they are wanted when training restarts. Not to assume that they'll be called in.

Seems the right approach after the performances given last year but I wonder how hard it will be to motivate players with the prospect of a first round tie against Donegal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭celt262

Word has it that all of the county team got letters stating that they'll be called if they are wanted when training restarts. Not to assume that they'll be called in.

Seems the right approach after the performances given last year but I wonder how hard it will be to motivate players with the prospect of a first round tie against Donegal.

The problem will be getting players to turn up.

celt262 wrote: »
    The problem will be getting players to turn up.

The U21 lads seem motivated so hopefully they will turn out. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of the older lads move on to be honest.

The only players I'd be interested in definitely seeing back that are there a few years would Eugene Keating (best player this year in the Championship), John McCutcheon, Michael Brennan, Padraic O'Reilly, Mark McKeever, Ronan Flanagan and Dermot Sheridan.

I honestly wouldn't be bothered if Johnston doesn't bother. About time the rest of the team stopped relying on him.

Good to see some Cavan lads doing well in London:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/inspirational-mulveys-late-burst-drives-fulham-irish-to-first-crown-2907775.html
    Fulham Irish are champions of London for the first time after a stunning late, late show against Parnells at Ruislip.

Having led at the interval thanks to a Harry Murphy penalty, Fulham then failed to score for 26 second-half minutes and when Parnells forward David O'Sullivan converted his sixth free of the day, a replay looked on the cards.

However, the inspirational Lorcan Mulvey led a late Fulham surge, scoring off a swift counter-attack, before three injury-time points sealed victory.

Fulham lead 1-3 to 0-4 at half-time. The penalty was awarded after captain Sean Maguire was fouled by Kevin Culhane inside the area, Murphy squeezing home the resulting spot-kick.

Parnells responded after the break, wing-forward O'Sullivan punishing Fulham indiscipline with some accurate free-taking, but their policy of dropping numbers deep into midfield left them short of attacking options.

O'Sullivan looked to have earned Parnells a replay when he fired over an equaliser with four minutes left.

But Fulham summoned a late burst of energy. Mulvey put his side back in front, before Murphy, Fergal McVey and John Ryan sealed senior glory for Fulham in only their fifth year in existence.

Scorers -- Fulham Irish: H Murphy 1-2 (1-0 pen, 0-1f), L Mulvey, F McVey 0-2 each, J Boyce, J Ryan (f) 0-1 each. Parnells: D O'Sullivan 0-6 (6f), F Niblock 0-1.

Fulham Irish -- D Traynor; G O'Hare, C McClean, M Conway; A Savage, S Mulligan, J Boyce; L Mulvey, P Walsh; S Molumby, H Murphy, I Barrett; J Ryan, S Maguire, D Connolly. Subs: F McVey for Molumby (21), N Nicholson for Connolly (43), J Reilly for Maguire (50), G Murphy for O'Hare (52), P McKernan for Walsh (56).

Parnells -- E Byrne; K Culhane, B Kerr, T Quaid; J Niblock, S Bradshaw, N Tuohy; D Donnelly, N Corkery; D McCarthy, D Shallow, D O'Sullivan; E Flaherty, F Niblock, A Mulholland. Subs: E O'Connor for Donnelly (42), R Dempsey for F Niblock (53), A Murray for McCarthy (53).

• Advertisement

Rumours abound in the county that Sean Johnston and some other senior players will not be asked back to the panel this year.

I'd like to see him back for championship football but would prefer to see him sit out the league. In too many league matches over the years, I've seen the other players almost afraid to shoot - the easier option being to look for Seanie rather than chance putting it wide.

Him not playing the league may bring on some of the other players.

Ulster Junior Football Championship Quarter Final:

Shercock 1-14, Cremartin Shamrocks 2-11 AET

Fantastic game of ball for this time of year in a very damp Breffni Park. Have to do it all again in Clones next week.

I'm hearing reports this morning that six players have been dropped from the panel. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I only heard half the report and heard Johnston, McKeever and James Reilly mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

I'm hearing reports this morning that six players have been dropped from the panel. Can anyone shed any light on this?

I only heard half the report and heard Johnston, McKeever and James Reilly mentioned.

Along with the above, Michael Lyng, Cian Mackey, Dermot Sheridan and Gareth 'Nesty' Smith.

Dropping Seanie Johnston the most high profile obviously.

Alaska1 wrote: »
    Along with the above, Michael Lyng, Cian Mackey, Dermot Sheridan and Gareth 'Nesty' Smith.

Dropping Seanie Johnston the most high profile obviously.

Where'd you hear this Alaska? A few high profile drops there. That's also seven players and not six.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Alaska1

Where'd you hear this Alaska? A few high profile drops there. That's also seven players and not six.

I hear all :p

Ah no, know a few people here and there in GAA circles, I am sure it will be in the news at some stage today.

Has Seanie Johnston been out of form ? seems a very big call by Val

Alaska1 wrote: »
    I hear all :p

Ah no, know a few people here and there in GAA circles, I am sure it will be in the news at some stage today.

Has Seanie Johnston been out of form ? seems a very big call by Val

Hasn't been playing much championship for Cavan Gaels, his club side. Although he did come on in one game as a blood sub and scored three goals!

Season back on so restarting this thread. Review of the weekend's game:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/sting-in-tail-for-cavan-as-holly-kicks-14man-derry-to-victory-2982809.html
    Derry 0-13 Cavan 0-12

Three members of Derry's championship panel of last summer came off the bench to kick the crucial scores as they came from behind to edge this Dr McKenna Cup clash at Celtic Park.

A young Cavan side had looked set to claim victory when they led by two points with only three minutes to play.

But substitutes Conleith Gilligan (free) and Mark Lynch levelled matters, before Niall Holly stepped up to kick a long-range winner three minutes into added time.

The result was hard on Cavan, who started sharply and led by 0-3 to 0-1 after 10 minutes thanks to two scores from Raymond Galligan and one from Niall McDermott . Derry hit back, with Cailean O'Boyle kicking four frees before late points from Eoghan Brown and Emmett McGuckin gave them a 0-7 to 0-5 interval lead.

Cavan dominated the opening exchanges of the second half with McDermott, Niall Smith and Conor McClarey pointing frees to lead 0-9 to 0-7 after 45 minutes.

Eugene Scullion's second yellow card on 50 minutes gave Cavan an extra man and they surged into a 0-12 to 0-10 with three minutes left.

However, then came Derry's late charge as the substitutes' intervention proved decisive.

Scorers -- Derry: C O'Boyle 0-5f, E Lynn 0-3 (1f), E McGuckin, E Brown, C Gilligan (f), M Lynch (f), N Holly 0-1 each. Cavan: N McDermott 0-4 (3f), R Galligan (f), D Giveny 0-2 each, R Cullivan, G McKiernan, N Smith, E Keating 0-1 each.

Derry -- S Harbinson; B McCallion, E Scullion, M Craig; M Drumm, D McBride, SL McGoldrick; J McCamley, PJ McCloskey; C McKaigue, C O'Boyle, B McGoldrick; E Lynn, E McGuckin, E Brown. Subs: M Bateson for B McGoldrick (h-t), N Holly for PJ McCloskey (37), C McGoldrick for McKaigue (45), M Lynch for Brown (52), C Gilligan for O'Boyle (65). Blood sub: A McAlynn for SL McGoldrick 59.

Cavan -- F Reilly; O Minagh, S McCormack, F Slowey; B Watters, P Reilly, D O'Reilly; G McKiernan D Givney; N Smith, R Cullivan, S Jordan; N McDermott, E Keating, R Galligan. Subs: D Barkey for Minagh (8), D O'Dowd for Slowey (27), C McClarey for Cullivan (h-t), B Fitzpatrick for Galligan (52).

Fairly happy with the starting team, although the one problem I can see is very few players yet to come in who can improve that starting 15. I know Ronan Flanagan is missing but who else, that hasn't been dropped, is available to pick?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I wasn't in attendance but it would appear that Cavan let this game slip away. Kicked 14 wides and were well on top. Inexperience in defence cost them.

Lemlin you're right about this being a strong team. You would expect anywhere up to 9/10 of these lads to be starting come Championship time. However for Cavan this year it's all about the League.
    They'll be aiming to peak for the League and get to Division 2 and work from there. In terms of players who can come in and improve things I suppose McKeever in the half forward or half back line, Ronan Flanagan likewise and Mickey Brennan. Jack Brady an option corner forward if Galligan disappears (as usual) as the year goes on. Then you have Feargal Flanagan and Michael Brady who are also with the U21s. Out from that you're looking into the can of worms that is bringing back Johnston, Lyng etc..

I don't think we'll get to Division 2, in fact a stay in Division 3 would be a great result at the moment for Cavan IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I was at the match and I was very impressed with the cavan display for most of the game. They were taking the shots the derry lads were not, moving the ball around well and at pace too. It was all cavan for a good part if not most of the match. The derry half back line was woeful and at times it looked like they were trying to adapt the donegal style defence of throwing every man into their own box.

At a few points in the game I counted a single derry forward who was NOT behind the half way line. But in all my praises of the cavan team you really gave the game away. It was like watching a boxing match where one guy has another on the ropes, everyone waiting for that knockout punch which never comes, the guy on the ropes gains a bit of composure and gets in enough ropey punches to win the points.

That said I look forward to watching you guys this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭scoopmine

Would like to see Alan Toasty Clarke on the team if not least the panel.

I wasn't in attendance but it would appear that Cavan let this game slip away. Kicked 14 wides and were well on top. Inexperience in defence cost them.

Lemlin you're right about this being a strong team. You would expect anywhere up to 9/10 of these lads to be starting come Championship time. However for Cavan this year it's all about the League.
    They'll be aiming to peak for the League and get to Division 2 and work from there. In terms of players who can come in and improve things I suppose McKeever in the half forward or half back line, Ronan Flanagan likewise and Mickey Brennan. Jack Brady an option corner forward if Galligan disappears (as usual) as the year goes on. Then you have Feargal Flanagan and Michael Brady who are also with the U21s. Out from that you're looking into the can of worms that is bringing back Johnston, Lyng etc..

I don't think we'll get to Division 2, in fact a stay in Division 3 would be a great result at the moment for Cavan IMO.

Is McKeever not one of the lads who along with Mackey, Lyng, Johnston and Sheridan was dropped?

Jack Brady looks a little light for senior football at the minute. I was pleased to see Niall Smith start. He was the U21s best player in a couple of their games last year, including the final.

It'll be interesting to see how the panel develops but my big worry is that this was about 75% of Cavan's starting panel playing against 25% of Derry's.

Given the teams that are in Division 3, I don't think we'll be pushing for promotion either. A nice run in the qualifiers would be nice. Just even to get through 2 or 3 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Is McKeever not one of the lads who along with Mackey, Lyng, Johnston and Sheridan was dropped?

Jack Brady looks a little light for senior football at the minute. I was pleased to see Niall Smith start. He was the U21s best player in a couple of their games last year, including the final.

It'll be interesting to see how the panel develops but my big worry is that this was about 75% of Cavan's starting panel playing against 25% of Derry's.

Given the teams that are in Division 3, I don't think we'll be pushing for promotion either. A nice run in the qualifiers would be nice. Just even to get through 2 or 3 games.

Too early to say this time of the year.I think the Cavan players will get use to the tempo of senior intercounty level by the start of the league.After only a week of training, it is not a fair assessment to have concerns about the opposition.Introduction to a gameplan and better physical preparation will need to be applied.

blackbelt wrote: »
    Too early to say this time of the year.I think the Cavan players will get use to the tempo of senior intercounty level by the start of the league.After only a week of training, it is not a fair assessment to have concerns about the opposition.Introduction to a gameplan and better physical preparation will need to be applied.

The Cavan seniors and U21s have been training for alot more than a week. Anyone who was knocked out in the first round of the Championship, and qualifiers, was entitled to break the Winter training ban this year AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

McKeever was initially named to start against Derry but Smith started ahead of him. So unless this was a complete mistake by whomever listed the team on the Cavan website I assume he is involved. I agree it's good to see Smith start. Didn't have a bad game for Cavan last year, he is among the paciest players I have seen. He is light too though.

Cavan have been flat out training since October. They should be in great condition at this stage. Lets hope they can bring some more skill and know how to the field than they have done in recent years.

The League won't be easy.. Tough start away to Wexford and as we know all too well, if you lose the first game the pressure is on straight away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement