Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faith No More appreciation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

that's classic:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Faith No More had a very understated but important role in the whole rock/metal canon, as the late eighties dawned a lot of metal fans turned to the oncoming thrash sound, whereas faith no more were probably the first band to mix it all up, metal, prog, funk, jazz and hiphop even. I thought they were the sh1te at the time. The single We care a lot, and the album introduce yourself was at that time a massively gound breaking sound then, however later with the addition of Patton on vocals their sound really soared.

Angel dust was already voted album of the week by rock/metal boardsies! which I think is a fitting tribute to a great band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

By the way, anyone remember the argument in the american media back in the day that FNM were ripping of the Chili Peppers? what'd u make of that? Nonsense I reckon

Anytime I see some musician saying 'they ripped off our sound' I just think 'I bet they've just made a crap album and/or have had bad sales/concert attendances'. I think thats the real reason why they're saying it; blaming something else rather than taking a look at what they've done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

damonjewel wrote: »
    Faith No More had a very understated but important role in the whole rock/metal canon, as the late eighties dawned a lot of metal fans turned to the oncoming thrash sound, whereas faith no more were probably the first band to mix it all up, metal, prog, funk, jazz and hiphop even. I thought they were the sh1te at the time. The single We care a lot, and the album introduce yourself was at that time a massively gound breaking sound then, however later with the addition of Patton on vocals their sound really soared.

Angel dust was already voted album of the week by rock/metal boardsies! which I think is a fitting tribute to a great band

I dont really think they were the first to go for a crossover sound tbh.

The likes of Fishbone and Urban Dance Squad really paved the way imo and really influenced a hell of a lot of bands.

Hell you only have to listen to UDS to see where RATM got their sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

adox wrote: »
    I dont really think they were the first to go for a crossover sound tbh.

The likes of Fishbone and Urban Dance Squad really paved the way imo and really influenced a hell of a lot of bands.

Hell you only have to listen to UDS to see where RATM got their sound.

You're probably right but they were the first to really come to the attention of Average Metal fans, I remember they were always on Mick Wall's Headbangers ball back in the late 80's which gave them that exposure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Good band allright, epic was a good 'un.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've been listening to King For A Day a lot lately, such a terrific album.

I've been listening to King For A Day a lot lately, such a terrific album.

i didn't think they could top angel dust tbh but imo. they did with king for a day.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

King for a Day is a good album, but Angel Dust imo surpasses it by miles.
    Get Out, Ricochet, What a Day, The Last to Know, are 4 tracks that do nothin' for me, if anything I found them annoying. I haven't listened to the album in a while, I must dig it out and give it a spin.
    Standout tracks are Take this Bottle, King for a Day & the Gentle Art....

I just love every track on Angel Dust, cd is always in the car :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Alex Kidd

Why has no one mentioned the keyboardists silky dance moves from the epic video?

Darn entertaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

They were rather quality.

Mr Bungle owned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I first got into them when I used to watch mtv way back in 1993 and I seen the videos for both Midlife Crisis and A Small Victory. They blew me away completly away, because I'd never heard alterantive metal that so imaginative and inventive. I still think that 'The Real Thing & Angel Dust' are their finest and most consistent albums.

i had a quick browse through kerrang today(didn't buy it,honest:o) and they're reporting that there could be a possible reunion next year. they've heard that some uk venues have been provisionally booked by the band. bill gould apparently denied it but patton was quoted earlier this year as being a little more open to the idea and lets face it,a FNM reunion couldn't happen without him.

i'd cream myself if this happened,preferably it'd be with big jim back in harness on guitar and not jon hudson. can't believe it's 15 years since i seen them last live,i'd love to see 'em again.

so what do you reckon,good idea or bad idea or pie in the sky?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I dunno, FNM appeal died very quickly to me after Angel Dust, with said album being the killer for me. I loved The Real Thing, i really did and couldn't handle Angel Dust as it strayed too much away from what i grew to like about the band.

For the want of a better comparison, but Angel Dust was their Achtung Baby. It went against the grain compared to previous material but yet still maintained a bit of familiarity and evidently went on to become a classic. The significant difference being that Angel Dust never grew on me, and it wasn't for the want of trying.

That said, I still love Introduce Yourself and The Real Thing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

lord lucan wrote: »
    i had a quick browse through kerrang today(didn't buy it,honest:o) and they're reporting that there could be a possible reunion next year. they've heard that some uk venues have been provisionally booked by the band. bill gould apparently denied it but patton was quoted earlier this year as being a little more open to the idea and lets face it,a FNM reunion couldn't happen without him.

i'd cream myself if this happened,preferably it'd be with big jim back in harness on guitar and not jon hudson. can't believe it's 15 years since i seen them last live,i'd love to see 'em again.

so what do you reckon,good idea or bad idea or pie in the sky?:confused:

I'd love to see them, so with everyone reforming these days, why not?

just thinking,next year will be the 20th anniversary of 'the real thing',hhhhhhhmmmmmmmm;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Agreed would love to see them again, I wouldnt have thought Patton would be up for it seeing as his fingers in so many musical pies. Would love to here him sing Just A Man live.

Angel Dust blew me away when it came out,it was so different to anything else I was listening to at the time,I wore the bloody tape out!!!

Raging I never got to see Mr Bungle tho.

Patton is a genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Kevin11

Remember John Kenny on 2Fm on a sunday night I think it was? Used to play all the new rock/metal stuff. Thanks to that show I got into that like of Faith No more, RATM, Alice in Chains, Kerbdog. Brilliant stuff.
    Never seen FNM live. Hope the rumours are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

as much as i'd love to see them (for the first time) and as open as patton seems to be to it, its not going to happen.

i'd love to be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

as much as i'd love to see them (for the first time) and as open as patton seems to be to it, its not going to happen.

i'd love to be wrong though.

Hah, many people said that about Van Halen and David Lee Roth for years.
    That said, that resulted in Michael Anthony getting ejected from the band.

It's the music industry, you never say never. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

bring back jon kenny every sunday night 8 to 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Wooo! Faith no More!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

endasmail wrote: »
    bring back jon kenny every sunday night 8 to 10

This is JK on the radio... how I miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This is JK on the radio...
    Said in the Scousest accent possible :D.

I would also love to see a Faith No More reunion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I was rooting through a few old tapes today and came across a few bits from one of the Metal Shows on 2fm, Mother North from Satyricon was the first song followed up by some death metal group.. and then Misery Loves Company (anybody remember them?) we will never hear those days again on 2fm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

I was rooting through a few old tapes today and came across a few bits from one of the Metal Shows on 2fm, Mother North from Satyricon was the first song followed up by some death metal group.. and then Misery Loves Company (anybody remember them?) we will never hear those days again on 2fm :(

Unfortunately no, we wont. :(
    And neither will we ever ever see a commercially successful band with the uniquiness FAITH NO MORE had.
    Music (at least commercially) has changed now for the worst. gone are the days of nirvana, alice in chains, stone temple pilots, faith no more etc...
    and were left with the inane sounding "killers", coldplay, kings of leon and garbage like that.
    Not one successful band nowadays has a single ounce of originallity about them.
    Angel dust and KFAD sound more original than anything since 2000.
    Faith no more were brilliant in so many ways....too many to mention, but the thing i liked most about them was their attitude. Everything was tongue in cheek, they never took themselves seriously which made for a lot of wild, funny, emotional, atmospheric tunes ur ever gonna hear.
    Every song was completely different which is somthing we simply dont see with bands nowadays.

My favourite work of patton post faith no more is tomahawk...he really lets loose on some tracks like he did with FNM...check out "captain midnight".

Anyway....FAITH NO MORE!! GREATEST BAND EVER!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

They will never reform

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

Great to see so many fans here...

I hope they don't reform. I can't see it either...banging out old tunes for nostalgia's sake....

What a band-there were the ones for me growing up in the 90s. Nirvana, Soundgarten, Pearl Jam et al just paled in comparison. I may have broadened my taste in recent years but throwing on an old FNM album still sends shivers up my spine.

Some highlights.....
    Buying a bootleg cassette (from a downstairs music shop off Grafton street) with an orange and black cardboard photocopied inlay card of a live show "Sheffield 1992."...probably the best gig I've ever heard..bristling with electricity..finishing with the monumental Jizzlobber

The Real Thing is OK-couldn't listen to it too often...probably best tracks are the title track, Woodpecker from Mars and Surprise You're Dead! (try to catch the video)

Angel Dust is an incredibly underrated album- I doubt it would ever appear on any critical "best of" list. Dramatic, dark, edgy, funky, funny, baffling, unsettling, ....
    All the more implausible as the band was imploding at that point...IIRC Jim Martin would record his guitar parts separately and send them over to the other side of San Francisco....

KFAD not so good - the vibe was fading I remember the half-hearted body language at the time. Highlights to me are Evidence and the extraordinary epic Just A Man. Although the harsher songs do get the odd airing when in the mood....

Album Of The Year.....like post Wall Floyd to me.....no connection to the songs.

I don't get Kerrang anymore.....are there any genuinely innovative metal/rock bands out there anymore?.....have most combinations of notes/chords been used up??!!:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

faith no more are back for a european tour this summer. heard it on today fm this eve!!

Advertisement