Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faith No More appreciation

Options
  • 25-05-2008 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

These guys were fantastic, weren't they? Honestly, Mike Patton is a very talentd guy, but I've barely had any interest in what he's done since, I think Faith No More just worked together as a band perfectly. True legends.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

anychance of a reunion tour would you think?seems to be the trend nowadays with a lot of bands that broke up in the 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Reunion tour is never going to happen. Patton has said it in loads of interviews; basically that they had a good thing and he wants to remember it that way and leave it.
    He did say in one though that he'd be ok with them doing one without him, but i don't see how that would work haha.

But yeah, FNM, underrated i think. Savage band, some of Patton's work methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

mike is a unique individual indeed, just read the wiki artical on faith no more , amazed at some of the stuff there like how he wrote all the lyrics for his 1st album with the band in 2 weeks.

This has to be my favorite of theirs

They are a band i've only come around to in the last 5 years , just didnt get them when they where active for some reason , weird because i was into a lot stuff back then that should have made them one of my favorites .

Reunion cannot and should not happen though no matter how much id love it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah, Epic, From out of no where, Digging the grave.. quality band.

So individual, I think alot of the new metal bands of the 90's took alot from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Great band.. Really loved them. Just wish I'd gotten to see them more than once before they broke up. Got to see them at Sunstroke in Dalymount in 1993 I think it was - such a great gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Im quite partial to my faith no more, however for some reason everyone i know seems to have no time for them. Am i alone here or is the entire world crazy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

Amazing band.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Patricide wrote: »
    Am i alone here or is the entire world crazy?
    No, there's at least 9 others that agree with you :)

I first got into Faith No More with the release of their King For A Day album in 1995. I wasn't long picking up the rest of their releases! What I like about them is their ability to mesh so many different styles together seamlessly. They could go from a very laid-back, smooth jazzy number to a full on metal track without sounding forced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Was into them since the Real Thing in 88. Angel Dust was their finest hour.
    Saw them live 3 times - Slane 92 when they blew GNR off the stage
    Point Depot 92 with L7 supporting .
    Prague 95.
    Have a signed cassette sleeve of all the band - Angel Dust
    Like Fantomas and Mr Bungle also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Very cool band- they made it o.k. to like a band such as Sly and the family stone whilst at the same time having a penchant for Slayer. All the musicians in the band were quite good as well.

Listen to the song 'Evidence', its as good as any soul or r n' b classic from way back when. Yet at the same time they could do a song like 'Caffeine'.

Whenever people excuse a crap band by saying 'They hit upon a formula and it works, whats wrong with that?' I always refer them to Faith no More- I have not heard a band who do so many different styles so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

They were fantastic. A very unique sounding and memorable band, and Mike Patton, wow what a voice. As albums go Angel Dust is pretty damn excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

buck65 wrote: »
    Prague 95.

nearly identical to me:eek:

seen them at slane,the point with L7 and sunstroke at dalymount in 93.

their live shows were hilarious,laid back jim martin just standing there with fag in mouth,patton going ape-**** all over the place,bill gould spinning all over the kip,roddy bottum being super cheesy behind the keyboards and mike bordin holding down the beats. great stuff and surely one of THE most under-rated bands ever.

i also have the cassette sleeve signed from them. they done a signing session in the old virgin megastore on aston quay. it was bedlam that day,worse than any mosh pit i've been in.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

The cowboy song = One of the best melodies I have ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Yeah I remember that day at Virgin, was pretty mental alright.

Anyone fans of the We Care Alot & Introduce Yourself albums, with Chuck Mosely on vocals? Patton by far, is a better vocalist but they have some great tracks on those albums......As the Worm Turns, We Care Alot, The Crab Song.
    I'm a big fan of Introduce Yourself, some great tracks on it.

Angel Dust & The Real Thing are excellent albums, King for a Day.... I liked but, Album of the Year was poor bar a couple of tracks.
    Woodpecker from Mars would probably have to be a real favourite for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Fredser wrote: »
    The cowboy song = One of the best melodies I have ever heard.

You mean midnight cowboy, its a cover of the music to the film of the same name.

I love fnm but I'm at work so I'll post a more detailed response later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Fredser

You mean midnight cowboy, its a cover of the music to the film of the same name.
    ]

No I don't.

The cowboy song is an ORIGINAL bonus studio song tagged on to the end of "Live at the Brixton Academy".

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Brixton-Academy-Faith-More/dp/B000046QA7

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

I assolutely loved them. Mike Patton was incredible, don't really like the stuff he did after Faith no More though..

Fredser wrote: »
    No I don't.

The cowboy song is an ORIGINAL bonus studio song tagged on to the end of "Live at the Brixton Academy".

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Brixton-Academy-Faith-More/dp/B000046QA7

i stand corrected!

loved faith no more since 1990, but alas never got to see them. billy gould was a minor influence during my formative years as a bassist. king for a day has to be my favourite album, although almost all my friends who are fans prefer angel dust. kfad just sounds better and is them at their varied best in my opinion.

i'm also of the opinion that patton makes almost anything he's involved in sound brilliant....mr bungle, the ep he did with dillinger escape plan (and their cover of aphex twins come to daddy!)the peeping tom album...tomahawk...i can take or leave the weirder stuff like fantomas and adult themes for voice...but if patton is invoved it normally turns out great!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yeah absolutely love FNM. I bought "The Real Thing" when it was released and never looked back.

I only saw them live once, in the Top Hat in Dun Laoghaire. I`m guessing it was around 1988. I wasnt that impressed with them live tbh, although I`ve only ever seen them once. I remember they came on really late(must have been around 11 - 12pm) as they had been filming Top Of The Pops at the last minute and then had to fly straight over.

I had an argument on another forum about Angel Dust. A guy insisted that "Easy" is on the album but its not on mine. I`ve come to the conclusion that it was added at a later date on re-releases.:)

adox wrote: »
    I`ve come to the conclusion that it was added at a later date on re-releases.:)

correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

adox wrote: »
    I had an argument on another forum about Angel Dust. A guy insisted that "Easy" is on the album but its not on mine. I`ve come to the conclusion that it was added at a later date on re-releases.:)

Would have agreed with you there, as my cassette definitely didn't have it on it... but you're correct http://www.amazon.co.uk/Angel-Dust-Faith-No-More/dp/B00002DE1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1211836640&sr=8-1

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Yeah I remember that day at Virgin, was pretty mental alright.

Anyone fans of the We Care Alot & Introduce Yourself albums, with Chuck Mosely on vocals? Patton by far, is a better vocalist but they have some great tracks on those albums......As the Worm Turns, We Care Alot, The Crab Song.
    I'm a big fan of Introduce Yourself, some great tracks on it.

Angel Dust & The Real Thing are excellent albums, King for a Day.... I liked but, Album of the Year was poor bar a couple of tracks.
    Woodpecker from Mars would probably have to be a real favourite for me.

i find it hard to listen to we care a lot and introduce yourself now tbh,mosley pales in comparison to patton on vocals. i like that patton made the song we care a lot his own in live shows,often changing lyrics and sampling other songs mid-song(the right stuff by nkotb on the brixton album as an example).

a sign of their uniqueness is that i've yet to come across a FNM tribute/cover act,would be virtually impossible to recreate the FNM performance.

angel dust used to be my favourite FNM album but i find lately i'm listening to king for a day a lot more,it's so varied and downright hysterical at times,pure class.:cool:

album of the year was ****e tbh,sounded like a band all out of ideas.

Oral Slang wrote: »
    Would have agreed with you there, as my cassette definitely didn't have it on it... but you're correct http://www.amazon.co.uk/Angel-Dust-Faith-No-More/dp/B00002DE1M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1211836640&sr=8-1

there was also a special edition cd which had an extra disc with 4 live tracks on iit which i have somewhere too.

edit: it's the free concert in the park version i have.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Dust_(album)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

buck65 wrote: »
    Prague 95.

Pretty similar to you also:
    I saw them for the first time in the Top Hat in 1990 on my 18th B'Day...Showing my age :P , They were late on stage because they were over in the UK earlier in the day recording for TOTP (Where Patton totally showed up the then BBC policy of miming on the performance!!)

Then in Dalymount, I was dissappointed that RHCP didn't play but FNM were excellent along with the Disposable Heros of Hipocracy

Slane was amazing, they did blow Gn'R off the stage in my opinion.... great day as well, though pitty Soundgarden get into the country... anyone remember the blistering sun & the human pyramids that day ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

I think people are being a bit unfair on Chuck Mosley. Obviously anyone with a note in their head can tell he wasn't as good as Patton, but they still had an original sound. They were more influenced by punk at the time, their soul and funk influences would come later on- I think all of the members of FNM had yet to develop fully at that stage. A few of their early songs do sound a bit crap- but it wasn't all mosley's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I agree that Introduce Yourself is a great album too. It's too different to compare it directly to the likes of Angel Dust or King for a Day, but there are times for listening to both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

By the way, anyone remember the argument in the american media back in the day that FNM were ripping of the Chili Peppers? what'd u make of that? Nonsense I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

By the way, anyone remember the argument in the american media back in the day that FNM were ripping of the Chili Peppers? what'd u make of that? Nonsense I reckon
    I don't remember that. What justification did they have?

i remember that. anthony kiedis was quite vocal if i remember rightly about FNM ripping off the chilli's sound,the whole funk metal thing. tbh they both developed that sound around the same time,the real thing broke FNM in the states while mothers milk put the chillis on the map. pointless argument but it got both bands publicity in kerrang/metal hammer etc. so it served a PR purpose i suppose.

• Advertisement

yeah but mr bungle got their own back...

Advertisement