Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Nice!
    I'd assume that the county board won't be able to stream the senior final but I can't see it affecting the other two finals that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Obviously Meath aren't as concerned about streaming money as Kerry!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Nice!
    I'd assume that the county board won't be able to stream the senior final but I can't see it affecting the other two finals that weekend.

Action packed weekend by the looks of things. I don't envy the stewards having to get rid of the crowds between games.

Saturday 3 October

IFC final
    Ballinabrackey v Trim, Pairc Tailteann, 5pm

Premier Division 5 final
    Syddan v Skryne, Pairc Tailteann, 3pm

SFC relegation final
    Dunshaughlin v Nobber, Pairc Tailteann, 1pm

IFC relegation final
    Castletown v St Patrick’s. Donore, 7pm

Sunday 4 October

SFC final
    Gaeil Colmcille v Ratoath, Pairc Tailteann, 2.15pm

JFC final
    Ballivor v St Vincent’s, Pairc Tailteann, 11.45am

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

ballivor will win pulling up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

What’s the story with Dunshaughlin - potentially getting relegated since what 1997? I know they’ve not challenged for a good few years but they seem to be going the opposite direction. Strange when you consider other commuter towns surrounding them like Dunboyne, Ratoath and even Ashbourne getting stronger. I guess you could say the same of Trim, but a village of that size should be definitely not be struggling as much as it is. I can’t remember the last Meath player it produced either which considering its size, again, is an odd one.

• Advertisement

Dunshaughlin, if I remember correctly, never really saw the same boost in underage fortunes as the likes of Ashbourne, Dunboyne, Ratoath and now Cilles have seen, for whatever reason. They won the MFC in 2009 and were in the final (as St. Martin's) in 2005, but haven't been in the division 1 final apart from this year. In the meantime, Donaghmore/Ashbourne have been in the division 1 final 7 times (winning 5), Ratoath 4 times (winning 3), St. Colmcille's 4 times (winning 2). While Dunboyne only made 2 finals, winning 1, if I'm not mistaken they were generally making a lot of semi-finals around the time of Ashbourne and Ratoath dominance. I think Dunshaughlin possibly took their eye off underage development over the last 10 years.

I don't think it can be overstated how important it is for them to stay in senior. Intermediate is like a dogfight at the moment and I wouldn't be confident that they'd bounce straight back up. Of last years relegated sides, only Rathkenny would have made the knockout stages had the original format been in place. Dunshaughlin obviously have a talented minor group this year (and possibly for the coming years), so having them at senior level when they make the step up to adult football would be so important.

Hurling semi finals and minor football final streamed this weekend. Fingers crossed we've still got a chance at a football/hurling double by Sunday night.
    Einl1w-XcAAaeX3?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Trim are having some year. Won the Premier 2 last week, in the IFC final and third team with a good chance of a final too. Potential for the same in hurling, all three teams in their semi finals. Must be some craic at training with all that winning going on

They're shoe ins for club of the year, I'd say. Their minor and U15 hurlers look like they're going to walk their championships.
    Looks like the Intermediate hurling semi finals were removed from the streaming schedule. Only the two senior semi finals and the minor final are available now.

Trim get 2-2 in injury time to knock Kildalkey out 3-9 to 0-17. Kildalkey just seemed to think they had it wrapped up and sat back.
    Going to have an unusual champion regardless now.

Trim couldn't make it a double as Wolfe Tones easily made the Intermediate final 0-21 to 0-8.

• Advertisement

Dunshaughlin with an excellent performance to win the minor football championship. Two goals in the first 5 minutes set the foundation but Cilles cut the deficit to a point with 5 to go. Dunshaughlin then hit 1-3 without reply to come away with probably a flattering 7 point win (3-12 to 2-8).

Ratoath still on for the senior football and hurling double. Utterly dominant performance against Na Fianna today and ended up winning 2-24 to 0-9. Na Fianna probably deserved a couple of goals and hit the woodwork twice but some excellent scores from all over the field by Ratoath. Darragh Kelly is a machine in the back line.
    If you had said 10 years ago when we were struggling in Junior football and hurling that we'd be competing in the senior football and hurling finals in 2020, I'd have laughed.

The IHC final will be between Boardsmill and Wolfe Tones after the former beat Kilskyre/Moylagh 2-16 to 0-11. Would be nice to see a North Meath team back in Senior hurling if Tones were to win.

On a related note, I like how the lads on the stream have managed to incorporate replays into the streams. Very handy to be able to look back at Trim's third goal yesterday in slow motion to see who got the touch.

Dunshaughlin with an excellent performance to win the minor football championship. Two goals in the first 5 minutes set the foundation but Cilles cut the deficit to a point with 5 to go. Dunshaughlin then hit 1-3 without reply to come away with probably a flattering 7 point win (3-12 to 2-8).

Ratoath still on for the senior football and hurling double. Utterly dominant performance against Na Fianna today and ended up winning 2-24 to 0-9. Na Fianna probably deserved a couple of goals and hit the woodwork twice but some excellent scores from all over the field by Ratoath. Darragh Kelly is a machine in the back line.
    If you had said 10 years ago when we were struggling in Junior football and hurling that we'd be competing in the senior football and hurling finals in 2020, I'd have laughed.

The IHC final will be between Boardsmill and Wolfe Tones after the former beat Kilskyre/Moylagh 2-16 to 0-11. Would be nice to see a North Meath team back in Senior hurling if Tones were to win.

Actually suprised at the Cilles being bet. I got a close up look at them in the semi final and they were a serious outfit. The game was over by the first water break.I'd go as far to say they were better than some adult teams I've seen this year. Massive win for Dunshaughlin.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Championship kicks off in two days and here we are still debating rivals on the inter county scene. :confused:

Based on nothing more than match reports and listening to We Are Meath I'm predicting the following.

SFC: Dunboyne
    IFC: Trim
    JFC: Carnaross.

Really looking forward to it all kicking off, it's just a pity that with the restricted numbers neutrals are effectively off the agenda for attending.

Just quoting this as we're on the Friday of finals weekend and two of my predictions didn't even get out of the group! I'll stick with Trim for the IFC, I think Ballivor will win the JFC but I would like to see the Vincents do the business with the Pats lads managing them. ;)

Senior should be a cracker, I think Ratoath just edge it but it will be only a couple of points.

rpurfield wrote: »
    Just quoting this as we're on the Friday of finals weekend and two of my predictions didn't even get out of the group! I'll stick with Trim for the IFC, I think Ballivor will win the JFC but I would like to see the Vincents do the business with the Pats lads managing them. ;)

Senior should be a cracker, I think Ratoath just edge it but it will be only a couple of points.

I'm on for 2 out of 3 if Trim and Ballivor win. Had Simonstown to win the senior.
    Hope the senior game is a sh!te game with Kells completely freezing on the big stage and it's all but over at half time with Ratoath resting as many of the hurlers as they can for the second half :pac:
    But in truth it's likely to be a close one. Kells didn't perform in the second half of last years semi-final which is not likely to happen again. Our tackling inside the 45 will need to improve from the semi final as we gave away far too many scoreable frees (which weren't taken advantage of by Summerhill). It'll be interesting if Farrell calls on the Wallaces if things are going badly in the second half. Eamonn and particularly Joey were the ones who turned the semi final last year. Without them, we have been laboured at times. Kells' defence is definitely good enough to keep us at bay if they get ahead. We haven't performed nearly as well as we did in the run in last year yet somehow we've made the final.

Can see Trim and Ballivor winning easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

I'm on for 2 out of 3 if Trim and Ballivor win. Had Simonstown to win the senior.
    Hope the senior game is a sh!te game with Kells completely freezing on the big stage and it's all but over at half time with Ratoath resting as many of the hurlers as they can for the second half :pac:
    But in truth it's likely to be a close one. Kells didn't perform in the second half of last years semi-final which is not likely to happen again. Our tackling inside the 45 will need to improve from the semi final as we gave away far too many scoreable frees (which weren't taken advantage of by Summerhill). It'll be interesting if Farrell calls on the Wallaces if things are going badly in the second half. Eamonn and particularly Joey were the ones who turned the semi final last year. Without them, we have been laboured at times. Kells' defence is definitely good enough to keep us at bay if they get ahead. We haven't performed nearly as well as we did in the run in last year yet somehow we've made the final.

Can see Trim and Ballivor winning easily.

I must be missing something about this Kells team that others are seeing. Kells defence good enough to keep Ratoath at bay - is this the same defence allowed Shane Walsh the freedom of the pitch to score seven or eight points in the semi final!? One of the best young players in Meath and it looked like he wasn’t being marked at times. It was amazing stuff.

The big hit on Devine when Na Fianna had 3 players through on 2 from Kells was the turning point but you’d have to question the wisdom from Devine as a county player carrying the ball into the tackle and his conditioning as an intercounty player to be dispossessed by a shoulder from a club player.

Game is on TG4 on Sunday anyway so I’ll be watching closely.

How many players on the Meath panel would Ratoath have? Interesting that Kells in the final have none.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    I must be missing something about this Kells team that others are seeing. Kells defence good enough to keep Ratoath at bay - is this the same defence allowed Shane Walsh the freedom of the pitch to score seven or eight points in the semi final!? One of the best young players in Meath and it looked like he wasn’t being marked at times. It was amazing stuff.

The big hit on Devine when Na Fianna had 3 players through on 2 from Kells was the turning point but you’d have to question the wisdom from Devine as a county player carrying the ball into the tackle and his conditioning as an intercounty player to be dispossessed by a shoulder from a club player.

Game is on TG4 on Sunday anyway so I’ll be watching closely.

How many players on the Meath panel would Ratoath have? Interesting that Kells in the final have none.
    As they showed against Dunboyne, they do have the discipline to pull men behind the ball if they get a decent lead. And that sort of setup is one that we've struggled against consistently. We didn't do too well against a similar setup against Skryne and Kells would be streets ahead of them.

Ratoath have Brian McMahon and Conor McGill as starters on the senior team. The two Wallaces would have been on the panel last year but they haven't played this year (though they were on the bench against Summerhill). Mattimoe from Kells has been on the panel in previous years but never got much of a chance. Fionn Reilly really should be brought in as he's been excellent this season.

Dunshaughlin survive and Nobber go straight back to Intermediate. 2-19 to 3-5 it finished.

Shows what I know, Ballinabrackey win the IFC with 3 points on the trot at the end to win 0-16 to 1-12. Excellent game to watch as both teams swapped the lead in the first half until Trim got their goal in first half injury time
    Bracks got a harsh black card halfway through the second half but Trim didn't really capitalise. They kept ahead by a point or two until Ballinabrackey's late showing.
    Inexplicably, Trim were clean through in the last minute of injury time but instead of playing it safe and getting the draw, they went for goal (twice) and the ball was cleared.

How were your nerves, rpurfield? Pat's were 6 down in the second half but pulled it out of the bag to win 2-11 to 1-9. Castletown relegated.

• Advertisement

How were your nerves, rpurfield? Pat's were 6 down in the second half but pulled it out of the bag to win 2-11 to 1-9. Castletown relegated.

Jaysus, weren't Castletown in the semi final last year? Relegated this year. Mad aul game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Floppybits

2 black cards in the first 10 minutes. The ref making no allowances for the conditions.

Awful decision for the Ratoath one. No idea how he managed to decide that was a black card.
    Kells getting frees very easily.

Awful decision for the Ratoath one. No idea how he managed to decide that was a black card.
    Kells getting frees very easily.

Thought that myself. Ratoath wasting chances. Wallace should have passed in that last attack.

Player sent off for ratoath now. Ratoath leading by a point

Wow it's all gone to pot for Ratoath. I actually fancied them to edge a close game with their experience of last year but it's their experienced players that have cost them. Number 19 old enough to know better than that absolute filth and the keeper should just be standing 13 up instead of pulling him down. Kells full value for the lead as it stands

Ratoath have stolen this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,206 ✭✭✭tanko

This is nuts.

My God. What drama. County final. Nothing like it. Congrats to Ratoath. A snatch and grab but they'll take it.

• Advertisement

That is a sickner for colmcilles.

Advertisement