Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M103 passed in Canada

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    sure all religions are fiction anyway

whats the issue?

According to this, you are islamophobic. ''Seeing Islam as...irrational..''

You can't insult Islam in that way, how dare you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't care for the pedantry. The set of definitions is objectionable. I've no intention of dismissing out of hand, but that is not for anyone to classify as Islamophobia. Whether I feel like giving someone's ideas the time of day, or they, mine, has nothing to do with Islamophobia or any other type of phobia and is not within the remit of any government.

No-one has said it is.

And the definition said that if you dismiss the opinion of someone who'd Muslim, simply because they are Muslim, then that is Islamophobic. That's what it's got to do with Islamophobia. It's the fact that you'd be dismissing their opinion because they're Muslim. If they weren't Muslim, then it wouldn't be Islamophobic. If it was because they're Jewish it'd be antisemitic. You'd essentially be saying "You're argument doesn't count because you're Muslim".

And to be clear, if you dismiss the opinion because you've found it wanting, that's not dismissing it out of hand.

(Also, I'm not saying that you automatically dismiss anyone opinion because they're Muslim. It's just that this has turned into a hypothetical involving you. It could just as easily be "If I were to dismiss.....". )

Grayson wrote: »
    No-one has said it is.

And the definition said that if you dismiss the opinion of someone who'd Muslim, simply because they are Muslim, then that is Islamophobic. That's what it's got to do with Islamophobia. It's the fact that you'd be dismissing their opinion because they're Muslim. If they weren't Muslim, then it wouldn't be Islamophobic. If it was because they're Jewish it'd be antisemitic. You'd essentially be saying "You're argument doesn't count because you're Muslim".

And to be clear, if you dismiss the opinion because you've found it wanting, that's not dismissing it out of hand.

(Also, I'm not saying that you automatically dismiss anyone opinion because they're Muslim. It's just that this has turned into a hypothetical involving you. It could just as easily be "If I were to dismiss.....". )

No, It says ''rejecting out of hand, criticisms made of the West, by Islam'' .Why should Islam specifically be criticising the West? As distinct from criticising the military campaigns? While it simultaneously says it is islamophobic to ''see Islam as sexist'' or ''irrational''. Nothing could be closer to dismissing criticism out hand than that. Most religions could be criticised for both of those things.

No, It says ''rejecting out of hand, criticisms made of the West, by Islam'' .Why should Islam specifically be criticising the West? As distinct from criticising the military campaigns?

Does it matter? Why would you automatically dismiss any criticism because it's made by Muslims? It may be that a particular criticism has no merit but it's still wrong to dismiss it out of hand.

Does it matter? Why would you automatically dismiss any criticism because it's made by Muslims? It may be that a particular criticism has no merit but it's still wrong to dismiss it out of hand.

It doesn't refer to criticism dismissed because it comes from Muslims, though. It says criticisms of the West by islam (clearly by Muslims, yes, but that's only half the story!). At the same time it refers to seeing Islam as culturally incompatible.Perhaps people feel criticism of a host nation's culture makes cultural compatibility difficult?
    Perhaps people don't wish to listen to complaints about their own country or culture, and that might make them dismissive. This would surely apply just as much to my sometimes rude French neighbour, who I tend not to listen to when she launches into one of her rants about how everything was so much better back home. It's not because she is French that I might seem dismissive of her. I might not be in the frame of mind to listen to it. Even if it seems to be a new rant I haven't heard from her before, and she might well have a point about, for example, the state of the HSE. There might be merit in her complaint.

While this set of definitions might not have teeth in terms of the law-yet- it is still objectionable. If it's endorsed in any way by Canada then it's an indication of the sentiment in government.

Of course I have no way to prove to a Muslim that the reason I don't want to listen to their criticism of some aspect of ''The West'' at that point in time, is not because they are Muslim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Who's business is it if even a racist dismisses someone out of hand, you would be happy with a law about who you can and cant 'dismiss'? What does that even mean

Who's business is it if even a racist dismisses someone out of hand, you would be happy with a law about who you can and cant 'dismiss'? What does that even mean

seems like you are expected to give anti west criticism from ''Islam'' (what does THAT even mean? any muslim or clerics or what?) a fair hearing (or endure it whether you want to or not at the time) while any criticism you might make of Islam is categorised as Islamophobia. It's plainly stated in the deinition that criticisms commonly leveled at religions, will fall under this heading. It's really patently biased and unfair.

Okay. I'm now officially lost about what Islamophobia is. Now, I, originally thought it was going to be like any phobia. An irrational fear or distrust of Islam. Gotcha. That makes sense. Or racism/bigotry based solely around the idea that people are muslim. Ok. That makes sense too. but.... it seems to be more than the above..

So.. Let me ask some simple points. Is it Islamophobia if I:

Criticise Islam because of the behavior of some followers of the religion?

Criticise Islam because of the vagueness of the Koran and the ability for muslims to interpret it very freely? (like the Bible is used for justifications)

Comment on Islamic religious practices in a negative way?

Poke fun at the Prophet Mohammad?

Is there a difference between criticizing Muslims and criticising Islam?

If I attach blame or responsibility to one group of Muslims, am I automatically an Islamophobe?

And lastly, Is any criticism of Islam possible without being an Islamophobe?

................ And next:

What the hell is the difference between Islamophobia and Bigotry? (Since I thought being a bigot included religious intolerance).

And why has a new word been coined just for Islam? Is there now a Christianophobia, Jediophobia, OpusDeiophobia?

I'm just seeking to understand what is covered under Islamophobia... because after monitoring this thread I am completely confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Depp wrote: »
    Pointing out one case is not an effective argument as to how these laws are similar, also important to note that the case you keep bringing up is nowhere near as clear cut as you make it out to be, also unusual you link to an article that merely mentions the case and leaves out all names and further details. Anti-terrorism laws are completely different from this law, this law deals with racism and has absolutely no mention of terrorism.

If they give us a better definition of ''Islamophobia'' that only covers actual bigots etc. and makes no mention of muslims and non muslims who wish to question elements of the faith, then I'm all for legislation like this.

You can read about these laws. Been around for years in various western countries. They never seemed to bother anyone at the time, except Human rights orgs.

Simply put I don't really trust YouTube videos or Muslim brotherhood conspiracy theories either.

You can read cases of people being arrested​ for saying stuff on Twitter for years now. This law is no different or special. Basically people needed to speak up a decade ago, before such laws were normalized.

Even if we pretend there's an equivalence between those attacks and Islamic terror I don't know what your point is. Would you support a law that barred people from criticising the far right lest we offence the sensibilities of nazis and white supremacists.

I made no statement in regards to equivalence. Secondly I don't support such laws, but I do question the sudden concern now that there being expanded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

wes wrote: »
    If you knew it already, there wouldn't be any need to look for it .
    Yeah you heard me. :)
    The legislation both want to stop what they see as speech that encourages violence. There pretty similar in intent, and both in reaction to acts of terror.

These kind of laws have been around for a long time, and people only seem to care now that one country is passing a law that may effect there side.

Basically, if people believe in free speech, then they should oppose both laws, if you only oppose the one, then the argument isn't one of free speech.
    Encouraging terrorism is highly likely to encourage terrorism.
    You can hardly say the same for criticising an ideology.
    Look at this country we've have a decade now of sustained heavy criticism of the Catholic church and yet no terrorist attacks on Catholics.
    The same can be said for many other ideologies.

I support free speech and I understand the reasons for restrictions to it on good grounds.
    I don't buy into this all or nothing argument.
    Inciting violence is a necessary restriction, restricting criticism of an ideology because some people believe it could lead to violence is a bridge too far.
    The restriction is disproportionate to the so called benefit.
    Yeah, a couple of them do, as they are a direct result of the recent US election.
    Yes but you claimed that there was a growing problem of far-right violence in the west.
    You're examples though mainly centre on one country and don't really show any trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I beleive that you too are dismissing "out of hand" without actually considering what it means.
    Oh I read through it.
    Points 1 to 5 a borne out of a will to silence opinions that are unacceptable to some.
    Point 6 is flawed IMHO.
    Point 7,8 are perfectly fine definitions of anti-Muslim bigotry.
    Also, re education camps? That's just a tad hysterical even if it's hyperbole.
    No, curtailing dissent and discussion, which is what this motion is talking about is in the same box as re-education camps and the like.

Yeah you heard me. :)

Encouraging terrorism is highly likely to encourage terrorism.
    You can hardly say the same for criticising an ideology.
    Look at this country we've have a decade now of sustained heavy criticism of the Catholic church and yet no terrorist attacks on Catholics.
    The same can be said for many other ideologies.

I support free speech and I understand the reasons for restrictions to it on good grounds.
    Inciting violence is a necessary restriction, restricting criticism of an ideology because some people believe it could lead to violence is a bridge too far.
    The restriction is disproportionate to the so called benefit.
    Yes but you claimed that there was a growing problem of far-right violence in the west.
    You're examples though mainly centre on one country and don't really show any trend.

You can look up the increase in hate crimes after Brexit for another example. Attacks on refugees across Europe etc.

Also, the definition of supporting terror can be very loose. Look at the arrest of Dieudonne in France under incitement to terror laws, don't get me wrong he says a lot racist ****, but he is not a terrorist.

Sure they have arrested drinks under these types of laws in France:
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/30/french-jailed-crackdown-speech-glorifies-terrorism

These laws are not all that different. Just that this one is explicitly about Islamaphobia and it's no different then other laws that have been missed elsewhere. If you support the other laws than I consider it hypocrisy to be against this one.

Also, you can easily see that rheotoric is used by nuts to attack anyone they consider to be Muslim. One of the biggest groups who are victims of Islamaphobia are Sikhs, who have suffered a number of attacks as racists are either to stupid to tell the difference or simply don't care.

Oh I read through it.
    Points 1 to 5 a borne out of a will to silence opinions that are unacceptable to some.
    Point 6 is flawed IMHO.
    Point 7,8 are perfectly fine definitions of anti-Muslim bigotry.
    No, curtailing dissent and discussion, which is what this motion is talking about is in the same box as re-education camps and the like.
    (1) seeing Islam "as a monolithic bloc, static and unresponsive to change";
    (2) seeing Islam "as separate and ‘other’" without "values in common with other cultures", being neither affected by them nor having any influence on them;
    (3) seeing Islam as "inferior to the West", more specifically, "as barbaric, irrational, primitive and sexist";
    (4) seeing Islam "as violent, aggressive, threatening, supportive of terrorism and engaged in a ‘clash of civilisations’";
    (5) seeing Islam "as a political ideology used for political or military advantage";
    (6) "reject[ing] out of hand" criticisms made of the West by Islam;
    (7) using "hostility towards Islam... to justify discriminatory practices towards Muslims and exclusion of Muslims from mainstream society";
    (8) seeing anti-Muslim hostility "as natural or normal".
    — Ontario Human Rights Commission, Human Rights and Creed: Research and Consultation Report, p. 30

You haven't actually said why anything is wrong with any of the. You've stated an opinion.
    1-5 are about a will to silence others? At what point does it tell you to shut up?
    6 is flawed? How.

You haven't actually said why anything is wrong with any of the. You've stated an opinion.
    1-5 are about a will to silence others? At what point does it tell you to shut up?
    6 is flawed? How.

And how are the last two anti Muslim bigotry? You think hating Muslims is perfectly normal and a natural state? You think that it's unnatural to like Muslims?

I thought the poster said 7 and 8 are perfectly fine *definitions*, as in, they have no problem with those ones. I share the same view.

I agree. If it can be shown that there's a very high likelihood that it will lead to violence or that it has led to violence it should be illegal.

There's the old example of screaming "Fire" in a crowded theatre. If you do that and people get injured in the stampede out of there then you're legally responsible in most countries. Even if people don't get injured you can be charged with some type of reckless endangerment.

I once gave an example here of bad speech as "What if I told a crowd of angry people that you were a paedophile and gave them your address" and someone (I can't remember who) said they thought that shouldn't be illegal. Some people are like that and think there should be no limit at all on free speech. Personally I think that the limit should be when it causes harm.

I thought the poster said 7 and 8 are perfectly fine *definitions*, as in, they have no problem with those ones. I share the same view.

Oops. Edited because I misread. I'm only just awake (I've had a chest infection for two months now and still barely sleep. I tend to nap a lot. That's not an excuse, I should have noticed. But it is the reason I messed up. Sorry everyone).

Oops. Edited because I misread. I'm only just awake (I've had a chest infection for two months now and still barely sleep. I tend to nap a lot. That's not an excuse, I should have noticed. But it is the reason I messed up. Sorry everyone).

You're probably not getting the normal amount of oxygen to your brain with a chest infection that bad, so it's not that much of a mess up, considering :) Hope you feel better soon.

I once gave an example here of bad speech as "What if I told a crowd of angry people that you were a paedophile and gave them your address" and someone (I can't remember who) said they thought that shouldn't be illegal. Some people are like that and think there should be no limit at all on free speech.

Before I left roughly 13 years ago, I hadn't travelled that much outside of Europe.. and I used to believe that free speech was the same everywhere in the western world (I was Definitely very naive about many things). Then I travelled extensively, and met Americans. :D [From age groups & social groups which normally didn't come to Ireland as tourists]

And I learned the difference between the Free Speech logic that I grew up with in Ireland (I'm 40 now) versus the Free Speech that Americans advocated. I listened to their radio stations, their talk shows etc, debated with them over whiskey and I was convinced that our version of Free Speech was far more rational and reasonable. I still do. A degree of common sense. Alas, in my visits home since then I've noticed the shift away from the traditional versions of Free Speech towards the more American idea.

I honestly don't want Ireland or Europe to turn into America. Unrestrained free speech is just as dangerous as censorship. They have different implications for a society, but the dangers remain. Now, I've lived 7 years in China with massive amounts of censorship and a definite lack of Free Speech. I teach here at university levels, and I'm bound by that same censorship every time I open my mouth. I won't be able to stick it much longer, and will return to Europe soon... but If Europe was to accept the ideas of complete free speech (without accepting the consequences), then I won't be staying in Europe long either.
    Personally I think that the limit should be when it causes harm.

By that stage, it will be too late. It's not simply the case of issuing a law. China can do that because it's a police state. A democratic system with a western set of laws, can't. Society needs time to debate, accept/refuse/modify, and then later, absorb changes.

In many ways, I do think this is a major problem in Europe. All these changes over the last decade or so, and there's been very little waiting for them to be either accepted or absorbed/merged into society. Instead, the laws just keep rolling out in one form or another trying to tackle issues with short-term solutions.

I'm sure many people will disagree with me :) but I do believe that human society needs rules, laws, and guidelines. I know I do. Just as there should be reasonable limitations on Free Speech, or other areas that have such high potential for manipulation and abuse. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Okay. I'm now officially lost about what Islamophobia is. Now, I, originally thought it was going to be like any phobia. An irrational fear or distrust of Islam. Gotcha. That makes sense. Or racism/bigotry based solely around the idea that people are muslim. Ok. That makes sense too. but.... it seems to be more than the above..

So.. Let me ask some simple points. Is it Islamophobia if I:

Criticise Islam because of the behavior of some followers of the religion?

Criticise Islam because of the vagueness of the Koran and the ability for muslims to interpret it very freely? (like the Bible is used for justifications)

Comment on Islamic religious practices in a negative way?

Poke fun at the Prophet Mohammad?

Is there a difference between criticizing Muslims and criticising Islam?

If I attach blame or responsibility to one group of Muslims, am I automatically an Islamophobe?

And lastly, Is any criticism of Islam possible without being an Islamophobe?

................ And next:

What the hell is the difference between Islamophobia and Bigotry? (Since I thought being a bigot included religious intolerance).

And why has a new word been coined just for Islam? Is there now a Christianophobia, Jediophobia, OpusDeiophobia?

I'm just seeking to understand what is covered under Islamophobia... because after monitoring this thread I am completely confused.

Officialy under the current definition, doing any of these things is islamophobia. This is why many of us find this motion problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Before I left roughly 13 years ago, I hadn't travelled that much outside of Europe.. and I used to believe that free speech was the same everywhere in the western world (I was Definitely very naive about many things). Then I travelled extensively, and met Americans. :D [From age groups & social groups which normally didn't come to Ireland as tourists]

And I learned the difference between the Free Speech logic that I grew up with in Ireland (I'm 40 now) versus the Free Speech that Americans advocated. I listened to their radio stations, their talk shows etc, debated with them over whiskey and I was convinced that our version of Free Speech was far more rational and reasonable. I still do. A degree of common sense. Alas, in my visits home since then I've noticed the shift away from the traditional versions of Free Speech towards the more American idea.

I honestly don't want Ireland or Europe to turn into America. Unrestrained free speech is just as dangerous as censorship. They have different implications for a society, but the dangers remain. Now, I've lived 7 years in China with massive amounts of censorship and a definite lack of Free Speech. I teach here at university levels, and I'm bound by that same censorship every time I open my mouth. I won't be able to stick it much longer, and will return to Europe soon... but If Europe was to accept the ideas of complete free speech (without accepting the consequences), then I won't be staying in Europe long either.

By that stage, it will be too late. It's not simply the case of issuing a law. China can do that because it's a police state. A democratic system with a western set of laws, can't. Society needs time to debate, accept/refuse/modify, and then later, absorb changes.

In many ways, I do think this is a major problem in Europe. All these changes over the last decade or so, and there's been very little waiting for them to be either accepted or absorbed/merged into society. Instead, the laws just keep rolling out in one form or another trying to tackle issues with short-term solutions.

I'm sure many people will disagree with me :) but I do believe that human society needs rules, laws, and guidelines. I know I do. Just as there should be reasonable limitations on Free Speech, or other areas that have such high potential for manipulation and abuse. ;)

What dangers do you have in mind when you fear complete/american free speech?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

This post has been deleted.

As with Animal Farm, 'all animals are equal' is soon amended of course to include '..but some animals are more equal than others'.

People should take a look at the almost unmentioned and undebated 'Hate crimes' bill making it's way through the Dail, it's no less Orwellian then this Canadian guff and yet it, like the bill recognizing Travellers as an ethnic group, will likely pass unopposed and with a lot of self congratulatory back slapping.
    Creating protected subsets of citizens isn't equality, it's the opposite of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭SeanW

Zaph wrote: »
    So it's sad that people can't be openly racist? Would you be as up in arms about this is the motion was to stop people engaging in homophobia? Or blatant sexism? Or abusing members of a different religion? Or is it only stifling free speech because it condemns Islamophobia?
    Dear lord, I'm not even sure where to start with this garbage. I'll take it order.
    So it's sad that people can't be openly racist?
    Two problems with this:
    1) You can't be racist against Islam because Islam is not a race.
    2) In a society that is both healthy and free, bad ideas die precisely because the people pushing the ideas are allowed to speak. It is like sunlight to a vampire. Best example is the KKK in the United States. Throughout the 20th century, there were no great efforts to stop the KKK from marching wherever or saying whatever they wanted. So they pranced around the place with their stupid white hoods and defiling symbols of the religion they supposedly cherish (by burning the Christian cross) and they "somehow" went from millions of members in the 1920s to about 5000 today. I.E. people could clearly see from the Klansmen themselves what they were about and came to the logical conclusion.
    For the same reason I am also of the view that hate preaching Imams should be allowed to preach and their speeches should be carried on the news the same way KKK rallies were covered in the US during that organisations decline - when Anjem Choudhury comes out with some drivel or when an Imam compares rape victims to "uncovered meat", or when some randomers organise a protest to say things like "Freedom go to hell" "Your 9/11 is on its way" or "Islam will dominate the world" make it front page news or include it in all nightly news broadcasts, and don't sugar coat it.

Multiculturalism would die in the same way that the KKK did, and both for the same reasons.
    Would you be as up in arms about this is the motion was to stop people engaging in homophobia?
    Do you want to "stop people engaging in homophobia?" If so, how? Do you realise that to put such a view into practice would require you to oppose Islam worldwide with ever fiber of your being? Because the Islamic texts are are clear - homosexuality is a grave sin against Allah and those guilty of it should be put to death, homophobia is commonplace among Islamic thought and a central feature of virtually all Islamic governments.

Or is it only Christian bakeries who don't want to bake gay wedding cakes that you have a problem with?
    Or blatant sexism?
    Do you want to jail Feminists who tweet #killallmen? Because that's pretty sexist ... Do you object to gender quotas? Sexist laws like the Swedish model on sex work? Sexist laws against paternity testing? Lop-sided family courts?

Or is "blatant sexism" OK when it's against men and promoted at the highest levels of society?
    Or is it only stifling free speech because it condemns ...
    Again, multiple problems with this:
    A free society rejects censorship on principle. Censorship is usually used to silence opposition, e.g. like the Great Firewall of China. That's usually what it's about - "Don't question me/my ideology/my propaganda or you will pay the price" or "I don't want you to see or hear other points of view except mine". That kind of thing belongs in Nazi Germany or Soviet Russia.
    Islamophobia?
    A phobia is an irrational fear. For a long list of reasons, fear of certain strains of modern Islamic thought is perfectly rational, as is rejection of core principles.

Similarly, If you don't like Adolf Hitler, does that make you Naziphobic? Of course not, because a dislike for Nazis is perfectly rational.

Excellent Post. Spot on, SeanW

Advertisement