Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M103 passed in Canada

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Grayson wrote: »
    Did you even read the link the OP put up? It's not to exclusively protect Islam. BTW, it's also not a law since you keep referring to it as one.

btw, here's a Canadian definition of islamaphobia.

It's heavily focused on Islam.

Are you endorsing the Canadian definition of islamophobia?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Did you even read the link the OP put up? It's not to exclusively protect Islam. BTW, it's also not a law since you keep referring to it as one.

Is it not? didnt see the part where they mentioned christianity and buddhism...

also that definition isn't any better than the oxford one its actually far worse, to go by that definition and go forward with motion by introducing legislation we would literally be entering the area of thought crime, think about that for a minute, literally how you perceive something, without any action, and you are breaking the law.

Depp wrote: »

also that definition isn't any better than the oxford one its actually far worse, to go by that definition and go forward with motion by introducing legislation we would literally be entering the area of thought crime, think about that for a minute, literally how you perceive something, without any action, and you are breaking the law.

That definition is unbelievable. It is almost completely a form of thought policing. Much of it is just what reformists ''see'' Islam (or aspects of) as being,at present. A simple exercise for those who can't grasp the problem with it, insert Catholicism instead of Islam...

It even includes rejecting anti western criticism as islamophobia. ''out of hand'', how ironic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

What annoys me about this kind of thing is that you need be able to separate criticism of an organisation or an ideology and criticism of an entire cultural group.

Religious groups, just like any other group, can do terrible things and have very dangerous ideologies that need to be criticised.

Look closer to home and you will find aspects of the Catholic Church went absolutely off the rails and caused huge damage with things like Magdalene Laundries, abuse cover ups and so on.

In the past we couldn't criticise the Church as it was beyond the pale to even discuss it in a negative light and look where that got us?!
    Horrific problems known about but not discussed for fear of upsetting the religious and the powerful.

Nothing should be beyond criticism. it's a dangerous precedent to set and Ireland and Irish society should understand exactly why!

What annoys me about this kind of thing is that you need be able to separate criticism of an organisation or an ideology and criticism of an entire cultural group.

Religious groups can do terrible things and have very dangerous ideologies that need to be criticised. Look closer to home and you will find aspects of the CatholicChurch went absolutely off the rails and caused give damage with things like Magdalene Laundries, abuse cover his and so on.

In the past we couldn't criticise the Church as it was beyond the pale to even discuss it in a negative light and look where that got us?!
    Horrific problems known about but not discussed for fear of upsetting the religious and the powerful.

Nothing should be beyond criticism. it's a dangerous precedent to set and Ireland and Irish society should understand exactly why!

Think I mentioned it in another thread but can you imagine what Ireland would be like today if the catholic church had a word like catholophobia 20-30 years ago and could throw any criticisms of their teachings/actions into the one bracket then criminalize it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

But we haven't even got to the area of racism being a crime with this motion? It just asks the government to condemn all racists acts (if they want, coz its non binding) which they do.anyways in general, if its an act large enough to get government attention. There's no penalty for sh!tting on any one race or religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    But we haven't even got to the area of racism being a crime with this motion? It just asks the government to condemn all racists acts (if they want, coz its non binding) which they do.anyways in general, if its an act large enough to get government attention. There's no penalty for sh!tting on any one race or religion.

I support the anti-racism intentions of the motion fully, as would any reasonable human, my concern is that the motion specifically mentions Islamophobia and the vague and poor definition of that word. Under the current oxford definition a muslim reformist who says ''I don't think we should kill apostates actually!'' is an islamophobe and this motion seeks to eliminate that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

Think I mentioned it in another thread but can you imagine what Ireland would be like today if the catholic church had a word like catholophobia 20-30 years ago and could throw any criticisms of their teachings/actions into the one bracket then criminalize it?

I suspect that was the intention of the authors of our Constitution.
    It specifically mentions blasphemy and sedition but because the courts couldn't define blasphemy without establishing a state religion (banned by the Constitution) the clause was always impotent.

Then someone decided to provide a definition that was an intent to cause outrage amongst the followers of a religion. That's circumscribed by a defence where you're entitled to discuss in an academic, artistic, political or religious context which, in theory, covers most things but it's still just sheer luck (bad drafting) we didn't have an active and very Draconian blasphemy law all through the history of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Grayson wrote:
    (1) seeing Islam "as a monolithic bloc, static and unresponsive to change";
    (2) seeing Islam "as separate and ‘other’" without "values in common with other cultures", being neither affected by them nor having any influence on them;
    (3) seeing Islam as "inferior to the West", more specifically, "as barbaric, irrational, primitive and sexist";
    (4) seeing Islam "as violent, aggressive, threatening, supportive of terrorism and engaged in a ‘clash of civilisations’";
    (5) seeing Islam "as a political ideology used for political or military advantage";
    (6) "reject[ing] out of hand" criticisms made of the West by Islam;
    (7) using "hostility towards Islam... to justify discriminatory practices towards Muslims and exclusion of Muslims from mainstream society";
    (8) seeing anti-Muslim hostility "as natural or normal".
    — Ontario Human Rights Commission, Human Rights and Creed: Research and Consultation Report, p. 30
    WTAF, do you agree with the above?
    Because it's pure "thought police" nonsense.
    I'd say the Ontario Human Rights Commission is a step away from re-education camps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

If I knew the answer I would have googled it "in a few seconds".

If you knew it already, there wouldn't be any need to look for it ;).
    How is legislation against encouraging terrorism similar to this legislation?

The legislation both want to stop what they see as speech that encourages violence. There pretty similar in intent, and both in reaction to acts of terror.

These kind of laws have been around for a long time, and people only seem to care now that one country is passing a law that may effect there side.

Basically, if people believe in free speech, then they should oppose both laws, if you only oppose the one, then the argument isn't one of free speech.
    Yes that's a list of events, but it doesn't prove that it's a growing problem.

Yeah, a couple of them do, as they are a direct result of the recent US election.

wes wrote: »
    The legislation both want to stop what they see as speech that encourages violence. There pretty similar in intent, and both in reaction to acts of terror.

These kind of laws have been around for a long time, and people only seem to care now that one country is passing a law that may effect there side.

Basically, if people believe in free speech, then they should oppose both laws, if you only oppose the one, then the argument isn't one of free speech.

Speech that incites violence is not protected under freedom of speech, you're drawing a false equivalency here. Terrorism by definition is the use of violence to further political aims so laws that prevent those that would encourage terrorism from doing so have absolutely nothing to do with free speech.

If you knew it already, there wouldn't be any need to look for it ;).

Yeah, a couple of them do, as they are a direct result of the recent US election.

As you say these type of laws have been around a long time, did Canada not already have laws against violence, especially racial violence?

It's not that this law or motion or whatever affects a 'side' it's that it is attempting to predict and accuse people of sentiments and intents they do not harbour. All of the above definitions of islamophobia are deeply questionable. One of them makes questioning political islamism impossible, That is the most important one. As is the timing of this, it's very unwise...

Speech that incites violence is not protected under freedom of speech, you're drawing a false equivalency here. Terrorism by definition is the use of violence to further political aims so laws that prevent those that would encourage terrorism from doing so have absolutely nothing to do with free speech.

The intent of both laws is exactly the same. So why do you oppose one and support the other? That strikes me as hypocritical. BTW, read the link I provided, one of the people prosecuted under the British law, was a law student, who argued in a youtube video that attacks on coalition forces in Iraq were not terrorism, which is clearly debate as to what does and doesn't constitute terrorism.

So, both laws are similar in intent, and can be seen to stifle debate.

The intent of both laws is exactly the same. So why do you oppose one and support the other? That strikes me as hypocritical. BTW, read the link I provided, one of the people prosecuted under the British law, was a law student, who argued in a youtube video that attacks on coalition forces in Iraq were not terrorism, which is clearly debate as to what does and doesn't constitute terrorism.

So, both laws are similar in intent, and can be seen to stifle debate.

no, one is to protect someones right to discourse, the other stops someone from telling someone to enact violence. You're drawing a massive false equivalency here I suggest researching what free speech actually is, unless you're just being dishonest to pointscore then you're going to have to try harder. Anti-terrorism laws stop someone from encouraging people to commit acts of violence, encouraging violence is not protected under free speech.

As you say these type of laws have been around a long time, did Canada not already have laws against violence, especially racial violence?

Yes, and they are expanded it clearly with this law.
    It's not that this law or motion or whatever affects a 'side' it's that it is attempting to predict and accuse people of sentiments and intents they do not harbour. All of the above definitions of islamophobia are deeply questionable. One of them makes questioning political islamism impossible, That is the most important one. As is the timing of this, it's very unwise...

Sorry, but its very clearly about who it effects. No one cared when such laws didn't effect them. They have been around for a long time, and are suddendly an issue.

Basically, once you decide to limit free speech, then it become acceptable for more limits. Who gets to decide what is encouraging terrorism? Is a discussion on what is and isn't terrorism as per the UK law, I spoke about earlier:

So, we have a similar law in Canada, from last year, that didn't bother anyone, and now that the same country wants to use a similar law, against far right terror against Muslims, people suddenly care.

Sorry, but its astonishing how selective free speech defenders seems to be. Even defending laws that have the exact same intent, while arguing against a more recent one.

no, one is to protect someones right to discourse, the other stops someone from telling someone to enact violence. You're drawing a massive false equivalency here I suggest researching what free speech actually is, unless you're just being dishonest to pointscore then you're going to have to try harder. Anti-terrorism laws stop someone from encouraging people to commit acts of violence, encouraging violence is not protected under free speech.

The laws have the exact same intent, and that is to stop terrorism. Its the height of hypocrisy to oppose one and support the other.

Islamophobic speech has incited violence, and provided quite a few examples.

The laws have the exact same intent, and that is to stop terrorism. Its the height of hypocrisy to oppose one and support the other.

If you had read any of this thread you would see I do not oppose this motion in its entirety, I am 100% behind the anti-racism aim of it, as are 99% of posters in this thread, the problem is when it seeks to legislate to eliminate ''Islamophobia'' the term and its use are the bone of contention, under its current definition any criticism of the teachings of the faith, even from reformists muslims within the faith are defined as islamophobes and were this legislation to be enacted would be criminals. This is my problem with the legislation. I am not pro racism or any other nonsense you want to come up with.
    I'm in 100% agreement with this. If the ''dislike of or'' part of the definition were to be removed I would be in complete support of this motion and ostensibly it being written into law. People should 100% be free to practice any religion without fear of prejudice but said religion should in no way be excused from people criticizing or disliking it!

a post of mine from several pages ago where I said this already.

Yes, and they are expanded it clearly with this law.

Sorry, but its very clearly about who it effects. No one cared when such laws didn't effect them. They have been around for a long time, and are suddendly an issue.

Basically, once you decide to limit free speech, then it become acceptable for more limits. Who gets to decide what is encouraging terrorism? Is a discussion on what is and isn't terrorism as per the UK law, I spoke about earlier:

So, we have a similar law in Canada, from last year, that didn't bother anyone, and now that the same country wants to use a similar law, against far right terror against Muslims, people suddenly care.

Sorry, but its astonishing how selective free speech defenders seems to be. Even defending laws that have the exact same intent, while arguing against a more recent one.

It's the first time I'd heard of the other law and the example of the law student and no , I don't agree with it, or with the way it was implemented, at least.

What can be said for it is it seems, apart from that, a bit more solid than the one now being discussed, which is seemingly based on a very flawed set of definitions. And this quote about THAT other law applies equally to THIS new law! (Just with different 'characters' - sorry, it's the early hours!)

''Liberty, a British human rights group, presented the same arguments in 2006. It argued that an overly broad definition of “terrorism” might lead to passionate expression of a political view being interpreted as the reckless encouragement of a crime that could turn those calling for the overthrow of repressive regimes such as North Korea and Zimbabwe into terror advocates.''

Maybe both laws have very similar pitfalls. Islamophobic speech may have incited violence but I disagree with what much of they are describing Islamophobic speech.

If you had read any of this thread you would see I do not oppose this motion in its entirety, I am 100% behind the anti-racism aim of it, as are 99% of posters in this thread, the problem is when it seeks to legislate to eliminate ''Islamophobia'' the term and its use are the bone of contention, under its current definition any criticism of the teachings of the faith, even from reformists muslims within the faith are defined as islamophobes and were this legislation to be enacted would be criminals. This is my problem with the legislation. I am not pro racism or any other nonsense you want to come up with.

Never said that anyone was pro-racism......
    My point is that existing laws aren't much better, when people can be arrested for arguing that attacks on foreign troops in Iraq isn't terrorism. This kind of thing has been around for a long time.

• Advertisement

Never said that anyone was pro-racism......
    My point is that existing laws aren't much better, when people can be arrested for arguing that attacks on foreign troops in Iraq isn't terrorism. This kind of thing has been around for a long time.

Pointing out one case is not an effective argument as to how these laws are similar, also important to note that the case you keep bringing up is nowhere near as clear cut as you make it out to be, also unusual you link to an article that merely mentions the case and leaves out all names and further details. Anti-terrorism laws are completely different from this law, this law deals with racism and has absolutely no mention of terrorism.

If they give us a better definition of ''Islamophobia'' that only covers actual bigots etc. and makes no mention of muslims and non muslims who wish to question elements of the faith, then I'm all for legislation like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭the great communicator

Even if we pretend there's an equivalence between those attacks and Islamic terror I don't know what your point is. Would you support a law that barred people from criticising the far right lest we offence the sensibilities of nazis and white supremacists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

sure all religions are fiction anyway

whats the issue?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    sure all religions are fiction anyway

whats the issue?

If the motion were to become legislation here you would have just committed a crime by posting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That definition is unbelievable. It is almost completely a form of thought policing. Much of it is just what reformists ''see'' Islam (or aspects of) as being,at present. A simple exercise for those who can't grasp the problem with it, insert Catholicism instead of Islam...

It even includes rejecting anti western criticism as islamophobia. ''out of hand'', how ironic...

I don't think you understand the phrase "out of hand". It means dismissing not based on it's merits but rather automatically dismissing it because of who's saying it or who it targets.
    So if someone who's Muslim says something bad about the west like "Those drone killings are bad", it's wrong to dismiss it "out of hand".

What you actually just did was dismiss something out of hand without even processing the phrase.

WTAF, do you agree with the above?
    Because it's pure "thought police" nonsense.
    I'd say the Ontario Human Rights Commission is a step away from re-education camps.

I beleive that you too are dismissing "out of hand" without actually considering what it means.

Also, re education camps? That's just a tad hysterical even if it's hyperbole.

I beleive that you too are dismissing "out of hand" without actually considering what it means.

Also, re education camps? That's just a tad hysterical even if it's hyperbole.

no-one is dismissing the definition out of hand they are saying its badly written and not fit for purpose. Theres a big difference between dismissing something out of hand and analyzing it then pointing out problems with it

I don't think you understand the phrase "out of hand". It means dismissing not based on it's merits but rather automatically dismissing it because of who's saying it or who it targets.
    So if someone who's Muslim says something bad about the west like "Those drone killings are bad", it's wrong to dismiss it "out of hand".

What you actually just did was dismiss something out of hand without even processing the phrase.

I'm perfectly aware, thanks. Whether I wish to dismiss a claim out of hand is not a matter for the law. The idea is laughable. Especially, and this was my point in calling it ironic, when it is part of a list of definitions that do exactly that.

Do you endorse those definitions of Islamophobia?

I'm perfectly aware, thanks. Whether I wish to dismiss a claim out of hand is not a matter for the law. The idea is laughable. Especially, and this was my point in calling it ironic, when it is part of a list of definitions that do exactly that.

Do you endorse those definitions of Islamophobia?

It's not a law. Let's get that clear. It's been pointed out many, many times, it's not a law. It never has been a law. It wasn't proposed as a law. And it wasn't voted on as a law.

What I provided was a definition of islamaphobia. That definition said that one of the aspects of islamaphobia was dismissing out of hand any criticism of the west by muslims.
    And dismissing anything out of hand, without consideration, is a bad thing. Unless you have an argument as to why it's ok not to weigh up both sides of an argument or to listen to any evidence.
    I personally think it's stupid. Once again though, I have to emphasise this, no-one is trying to outlaw stupidity. People are still free to be stupid and think stupid things.

• Advertisement

It's not a law. Let's get that clear. It's been pointed out many, many times, it's not a law. It never has been a law. It wasn't proposed as a law. And it wasn't voted on as a law.

What I provided was a definition of islamaphobia. That definition said that one of the aspects of islamaphobia was dismissing out of hand any criticism of the west by muslims.
    And dismissing anything out of hand, without consideration, is a bad thing. Unless you have an argument as to why it's ok not to weigh up both sides of an argument or to listen to any evidence.
    I personally think it's stupid. Once again though, I have to emphasise this, no-one is trying to outlaw stupidity. People are still free to be stupid and think stupid things.

I don't care for the pedantry. The set of definitions is objectionable. I've no intention of dismissing out of hand, but that is not for anyone to classify as Islamophobia. Whether I feel like giving someone's ideas the time of day, or they, mine, has nothing to do with Islamophobia or any other type of phobia and is not within the remit of any government.

Advertisement