Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-09-2017, 11:44   #1
Seve OB

Boiling the kettle

Lad in work always uses hot water to fill the ketle and fills it through the spout. I've never seen anyone else ever fill a kettle with hot water, something I would never do, I'm sure it's grand, but it turns me off making a cup of tea/coffee from the same boil.

Also, why do people fill through the spout? There is a little button at the top of the kettle which pops the lid, fill her up and press the lid down, how hard is that, and you won't spill water all over the outside of the kettle. There is a filter in the spout, so when you pour it catches any little bits of debris that may have come through the water system. So to fill through the spout, you could have the bits of debris on the wrong side of the spout and they end up right in your morning cuppa!

So how do you do it?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-09-2017, 11:45   #2
osarusan

I would always fill through the spout, then pour some back out into the sink, so that the filter does its job. Otherwise the filter just keeps any impurities inside the kettle.

I would never use hot water though.
12-09-2017, 11:47   #3
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
I fill through the spout if the sink is full of water, otherwise you end up dipping the kettle in the water.

Never seen anyone use the hot tap to fill it though. Fill from the mains, not from the tank.
Thanks from:
12-09-2017, 11:47   #4

Why would he use hot water? Does he now know that water from the cold tap in the kitchen is freshest, direct from mains.
Water from the hot tap has been pumped to a cold water storage tank on premises and then in to the hot tank for heating and only then get to the tap.
God knows what wee things are living in that cold water storage tank.
12-09-2017, 11:49   #5
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterlong View Post
Why would he use hot water? Does he now know that water from the cold tap in the kitchen is freshest, direct from mains.
Water from the hot tap has been pumped to a cold water storage tank on premises and then in to the hot tank for heating and only then get to the tap.
God knows what wee things are living in that cold water storage tank.
But sure he's boiling it, what's the problem?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-09-2017, 11:52   #6
Malari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
You'd want to boil it for at least a minute. Just bringing water to the point of boiling doesn't ensure beasties are killed off!
(2) thanks from:
12-09-2017, 11:53   #7
storker

I fill from the cold tap through the lid. Then I get bored or distracted while waiting for it to boil and wander off. Eventually I come back and boil it again, get bored...etc. I've sometimes boiled the same kettle three or four times just for one cup of boiling water. I get the feeling that my approach needs tweaking, like leaving a book beside the kettle.
12-09-2017, 11:53   #8

Quote:
there are compounds that could be in a cold water tank that are not biological toxins and will noy be affected by boiling
12-09-2017, 11:53   #9
Boom_Bap
Landfill

We have instant boiling water in our canteen. We also have a kettle. I've seen people use this instant boiled water to fill the kettle and then boil the kettle.
Advertisement
12-09-2017, 11:55   #10
Seve OB

Quote:
that's his argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malari View Post
You'd want to boil it for at least a minute. Just bringing water to the point of boiling doesn't ensure beasties are killed off!
now i don't even want to drink anything from the kettle at all!!!!
12-09-2017, 11:56   #11
vandriver

Have you ever looked into a hot water tank?
I suggest you do before accepting another cup of tea.
(3) thanks from:
12-09-2017, 11:59   #12
AidanadiA

http://www.itoen.com/preparing-tea

Always use freshly drawn, cold water to prepare tea. Purified and spring water are best because they are relatively free from pollutants and other substances that can dramatically alter tea's taste. On the other hand, it is preferable for the water to have some natural minerals content, as they may enhance the tea's flavor. For this reason, distilled water should be avoided since the lack of minerals will leave the tea tasting flat. Similarly, one should never use pre-heated water-as from the faucet, for instance. This kind of water has mostly likely been overheated, thereby losing oxygen content while picking up possibly harmful substances from the water pipes.
12-09-2017, 12:01   #13

I was in an apartment once and the person who lived there had some problem with the water pressure to the washing machine.
I had a look at the cold water storage tank. It had no lid and there was a gel skin type thing that had grown at the top of the tank. It was gross. I would not even shower in that place.
12-09-2017, 12:05   #14
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
It's "traditionally" known that consuming the water from the tank is not a good idea.
But things have changed in recent decades which mean that this old wisdom may not apply any more.

A house may have an uncovered cold water tank. Which means you end up with dust and animals and other crap floating in it. So drinking may not be a great idea. Modern tanks are covered, though that doesn't mean you won't find a dead rat floating in it if you're unlucky.

The issue with the hot tap specifically comes from old piping systems. Really old systems used lead piping, but even up to the early 1980's, lead solder was used to join copper piping. When you have hot water and lead pipes or lead solder, the amount of lead leaching into the water is increased. Even worse, as you continually reheat the water, the concentration of lead increases as the water evaporates.

So if you leave the immersion on and don't use the hot water much except to make tea, then the lead levels in the tank are constantly building up. Over the course of years then you're going to poison yourself.

This is unlikely to be an issue for the vast majority of people at this stage, but nevertheless the received wisdom still persists.
(5) thanks from:
12-09-2017, 12:13   #15
crossmolinalad

Have a water heater under the sink fed from the mains
I'm always using hot water from tap to cook or fil the kettle
Mom did the same when I was a child it saves money she said
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image