Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super XV Rugby 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Sevu Reece has put in some really top class performances for the Crusaders.

The IRFU/Connacht were 100% correct to cancel his contract given the circumstances, but if it hadn't all gone down it'd be interesting to think of how he'd have faired with Connacht in comparison.

Yeah he’s been great. If we concentrate purely on on-field matters he’d have been a good signing for Connacht. I don’t think it was tenable him coming to
    Ireland though, especially so soon after the Jackson/olding case.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sweet jesus what is happening this season??

chiefs well beaten at home by the lions, who were bottom of teh SA conference up to this.

and now, the sunwolves are 23 - 7 up over the hurricanes currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,934 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Canes dominated the second half to this point but they are up against it now to hold onto the win.

canes take the win by 6

lots of sunwolves players playing for super rubgby contracts i think??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Sunwolves threw that one away. That charge down was criminal. The turn over try for the Canes was quality, some pace on the Canes winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

sydthebeat wrote: »

chiefs well beaten at home by the lions
    Huge Chiefs fans for many yrs, but just havent had time to follow S15 this yr.....and Im kinda glad, i dont know whats happened.

Reds beat the mistake ridden Sharks in SA today too. The amount of final balls dropped by the Sharks with the line not too far away was unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Enzokk

chiefs well beaten at home by the lions, who were bottom of teh SA conference up to this.

and now, the sunwolves are 23 - 7 up over the hurricanes currently

A couple of times in the past few weeks I was scared to look at how my Superbru predictions went, only to find while I have been my usual standard (below average at best), I actually have been doing quite well. The only constant seems to be teams are inconsistent. The exception to the rule seems to be the Crusaders, all other teams has been all over the place.

From a South African perspective, I wasn't expecting the Lions to qualify for the playoffs this year as they have had too much turnover of important pieces (from their best in 2017 they have lost the coach and all of their forwards bar Marx and Whitely basically), but the fact that they are still in with a chance is a sad indictment on the other 3 SA teams. It doesn't reflect well on Fleck or Du Preez and their coaching prowess.

I am also interested with the form of the NZ teams, I would have expected more consistency from their teams but maybe they had peaked too soon once again. It is going to be a fascinating season to see how the teams progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

7 points between 2nd and 14th makes for a very interesting run in.

• Advertisement

crusaders scrum getting minced this morning by the sharks....

sharks winning 14 - 18 with 10 mins left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Crusaders fans booing Bosch taking the penalty

Stay classy.

crusaders go to the corner , 7 down 5 mins left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I'm amazed he didn't give the Sharks a yellow there. That must have been six penalty advantages in a row.

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm amazed he didn't give the Sharks a yellow there. That must have been six penalty advantages in a row.

i think he was going to after that high tackle, but for the quick tap.

crusaders pull the draw out at the death... 21 - 21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Mental game for the Sunwolves today, red card after 50 minutes, finished the game with 12 men and still got a bonus point away to the Reds. Maddening indiscipline but incredible guts.

• Advertisement

Ben Smith may have played his last game for the highlanders. it was a nasty collision that left him injured.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/112526699/super-rugby-highlanders-set-to-lose-ben-smith-for-remainder-of-regular-season

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

https://youtu.be/IMmOOzn9R-k

The 1014 Rugby interview Scott Robertson and Ronan O'Gara from The Crusaders

Worth watching the previous interview with Gatland too

Highlanders onto their fourth fly half this season as Dan hollinshead is called up to the bench as injury cover for both Bryn gatland (long term foot injury) and Marty banks.

Lots of pressure on the shoulders of josh ioane recently......

an upset is on the cards this morning...

currently hurricanes 13 - 21 jaguares with 15 mins left

game over

hurricanes 20 - 28 jaguares

to show how loose the game was hurricanes missed 1 in every 4 tackles, jags missed 1 in every 3.

after 25 mins jags had missed 1 in every 2 tackles !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

game over

hurricanes 20 - 28 jaguares

to show how loose the game was hurricanes missed 1 in every 4 tackles, jags missed 1 in every 3.

after 25 mins jags had missed 1 in every 2 tackles !!!

So missing tackles wins games? :pac:

Bazzo wrote: »
    So missing tackles wins games? :pac:

thats Joe Schmidths grand tactic that hes keeping under wraps for the RWC... so keep schtumm !! :D

This was called forward:
    giphy.gif

What does the board think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

hahashake wrote: »
    This was called forward:

What does the board think?

Looks backwards out of the hands to me. Harsh call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thats one of the ones where it is physically impossible for the ball to go anywhere but forward. But it clearly goes backwards relative to the momentum of the passer.

I wish there was a hawkeye like solution we could use for this.

I think anyone with a basic understanding of physics and an ounce of impartiality would say that it was passed backwards relative to the moving player.

Somehow doubt Jonker would have made that call if it was against the local side.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thats one of the ones where it is physically impossible for the ball to go anywhere but forward. But it clearly goes backwards relative to the momentum of the passer.

I wish there was a hawkeye like solution we could use for this.

It was a typical Jonker call. Brilliant try scored and awarded, called back at the TMO's behest for a "clear and obvious" forward pass. I don't like slagging refs, it happens too much, but this guy is off to the RWC as a TMO. God help the forum if a match-winning try by Earls or Larmour is called back by Jonker for such a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

At no time was the ball in front of the passer, should be pretty basic method of determining if the ball went forward or not in a situation like that.

To be honest I think that momentum is used as an excuse a little more than it should be for forward passes.

That said, that is a textbook example of a pass being made backwards and momentum carrying the ball forwards. They could use it as an example teaching refs what's not a forward pass...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Pass is made on halfway line and is caught well past it, surely forward

Pass is made on halfway line and is caught well past it, surely forward

I'm gonna assume this is a serious reply and charitably link this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

I'm aware of the rules, no need to be condescending. However, his hands appear to be going marginally forward to me and my point about about the distance between where it was thrown and caught is that even if his hands were not obviously going forward from the angle, for that big a distance he does not appear to be travelling at a high enough speed for such significant momentum. Just my take on it.

I'm aware of the rules, no need to be condescending. However, his hands appear to be going marginally forward to me and my point about about the distance between where it was thrown and caught is that even if his hands were not obviously going forward from the angle, for that big a distance he does not appear to be travelling at a high enough speed for such significant momentum. Just my take on it.

Fair enough, didn't mean to sound condescending, it was more that I wasn't sure if you were on the wind up.

Given he doesn't seem to accelerate after the ball if passed (and probably slows down slightly) yet still ends up in front of the ball, to me indicates it was passed backwards.

The penalty count in South Africa, when SA referees are reffing against non SA teams, is 96 to 47 in favour of the SA teams.

One particular refs figures are a ridiculous 3 - 31 against non SA teams

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-astonishing-numbers-behind-south-african-refereeing-that-paints-an-ugly-picture/

maybe a slight taste of sour grapes from this article, but then again, if it walks like a duck.......

...and SANZAAR confirm RWC-bound TMO Jonker got his decision wrong.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/112941294/super-rugby-sanzaar-confirm-tmo-marius-jonker-was-wrong-to-deny-crusaders-try-in-cape-town

I can understand a fan not understanding the law but a professional TMO, who clearly hasn't watched his own employer's demo video, is more worrying.

Reds with 2 disallowed tries for double movements... Pretty dumb.

Also, fair play to whoever's in charge of the stadium PA, blasting Kung Fu fighting during some handbags was a great touch.

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/brown-linked-with-highlanders-return/616700

Please make this happen !!!!!

Sunwolves head coach Tony Brown is being tipped to return to the Highlanders following the news that assistant coach Glenn Delany will leave the franchise at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Looks like there is about 5k fans at the Waratahs game. And id say that’s being generous

• Advertisement

the blues so badly need a 10 !!

while plummer was ok from the tee and dead balls.... in open play he really was atrocious.

in a game where they finished behind by 8 points he kicked the ball out on the full under little pressure, dropped a long clearance on his own 22... and cleared the ball from his own 22 but never followed up putting his whole team offside and gave the crusaders an easy pen on the 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

the blues so badly need a 10 !!

while plummer was ok from the tee and dead balls.... in open play he really was atrocious.

in a game where they finished behind by 8 points he kicked the ball out on the full under little pressure, dropped a long clearance on his own 22... and cleared the ball from his own 22 but never followed up putting his whole team offside and gave the crusaders an easy pen on the 22.

Unfortunately the Blues haven't had a decent 10 since Carlos Spencer. A lot of talented and crap players have come and gone in the last 15 odd years. Hopefully Otere Black turns out to be the real deal. What's happened to Steven Perofeta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Enzokk

The penalty count in South Africa, when SA referees are reffing against non SA teams, is 96 to 47 in favour of the SA teams.

One particular refs figures are a ridiculous 3 - 31 against non SA teams

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-astonishing-numbers-behind-south-african-refereeing-that-paints-an-ugly-picture/

maybe a slight taste of sour grapes from this article, but then again, if it walks like a duck.......

I think SA referees are biased. This is probably due to the fans and journalists thinking SA teams always gets bad decisions against them overseas and is a reason why the teams always lose. This affects the referees when they are in charge in SA, they read newspapers and see the coverage of the match. I don't think they are cheating, but unconsciously they are overlooking infringements when SA teams are involved as they are biased.

It is easier to blame the referee when you lose than admit you are not good enough as a team. Writing that you deserved to lose, but the referee....is the same as saying, I am not racist, but....

Highlanders are sh!t.....

sydthebeat wrote:
    So are the Waratahs without Folau.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

current overall standings with 4 rounds of regular season left:

Screenshot-10.jpg

quite possible this season that there will be only 2 NZ teams in the play offs, with 4 teams from the SA conference making it.....

current overall standings with 4 rounds of regular season left:

481441.png

This was the table you really wanted to post, wasn't it ? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

They are.

But in more encouraging news for them Tony Brown has confirmed he's rejoining the club next season as an assistant coach. He's the most innovative backs/attack coach in rugby. They'll be playing some sexy stuff next year. I wish an Irish province made an effort to sign him.

Clegg wrote: »
    They are.

But in more encouraging news for them Tony Brown has confirmed he's rejoining the club next season as an assistant coach. He's the most innovative backs/attack coach in rugby. They'll be playing some sexy stuff next year. I wish an Irish province made an effort to sign him.

delighted to hear that....can only be a good thing.

defense is our biggest problem this season though.

were currently 3rd highest try scorers in the whole league (behind rebels and crusaders) yet we've only 1 TBP..... whereas crusaders have 7

only the chiefs, lions and sunwolves have leaked more tries :(

swiwi_ wrote: »
    481441.png

This was the table you really wanted to post, wasn't it ? :p

cant let you go 3 for 3 :P:P:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement