Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Well done guys, keep it going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Another good week this week. 1 stone gone in total. Getting ready to go out and just tried on a few trousers I only wear going out and can notice a difference in them already

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

kitten_k wrote: »
    Another good week this week. 1 stone gone in total. Getting ready to go out and just tried on a few trousers I only wear going out and can notice a difference in them already

That amazing. Well done kitten k :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cograts Louchc and Kitten K. I'm jealous.

I keep blaming work and BD events. Its quite stressful with work and I had a BD event Thursday which involved many drinks. It's March, I am nearly at the stage where I write off 2020 and aim for next January. I also find that I am snacking a lot more. Humus chips being the main culprit, its stress related and I a defo not hungry. In the past I would have gone for a run but I was home alone with the wee one so that wasnt an option.

Hoping to get back running this week to test out the calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    Cograts Louchc and Kitten K. I'm jealous.

I keep blaming work and BD events. Its quite stressful with work and I had a BD event Thursday which involved many drinks. It's March, I am nearly at the stage where I write off 2020 and aim for next January. I also find that I am snacking a lot more. Humus chips being the main culprit, its stress related and I a defo not hungry. In the past I would have gone for a run but I was home alone with the wee one so that wasnt an option.

Hoping to get back running this week to test out the calf.

Ah, dont go writing off the whole year, with summer to come theres plenty of time to get active & improve fitness. The key thing is mental strength, not physical. As you know yourself you cant outrun a bad diet so if you can at least draw a mental line in the sand & say thats it, no more crap diet & even cut out the junk it'll make a huge difference. I hear you on the work stress as I struggle with that side of hings myself & balancing that with a busy home life isnt always good for healthy eating, but I know it can be done so you have to just get your willpower reserves up to a level you can get over the 2 week hump to break the cycle. You've done it before & you'll do it again, trust me.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Cheers DvB. I did a quick 6km before work yesterday with the mutt. I will have to start doing it more often as the temperature is already ramping up.

Looking at the diet this week and calculating my macros. I am 5kg less than this time last year. If I could lose 8kg by the end of August I would be happy.

Have the inlaw's landing in tonight, we hope.....have many rummours flying around here about covid-19.

Cheers DvB. I did a quick 6km before work yesterday with the mutt. I will have to start doing it more often as the temperature is already ramping up.

Looking at the diet this week and calculating my macros. I am 5kg less than this time last year. If I could lose 8kg by the end of August I would be happy.

Have the inlaw's landing in tonight, we hope.....have many rummours flying around here about covid-19.

You're back on the horse aleady! Stick at it and your hit that 8kg no problem. Starting is always the hardest part.

I am 5kg less than this time last year. If I could lose 8kg by the end of August I would be happy.

5kg! Good stuff, you're already on a steady loss, weight managed over longer periods is more sustainable & far healthier, its the peaks & troughs over short term observation thats the real disheartening thing to see, I'm actually up c.3.5kg on this time last year but am setting myself up already for the better weather & plenty of outdoor exercise (Wont make up for the inevitable cancelled holidays mind :() so I fully expect to be back at my normal weight of c.11st by the end of July/August. Just in time for the christmas build up & inevitable weight gain:D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Cheers, however I just converted your 11st in to metric* circa 70kg, so 5kg would be a good loss sadly I have not been in the 70kg region since I was 13 or 14.

The lack of holidays will help the waistline alright.

*Which I just googled started in Ireland in 1970 to be completed in 2005 except for pints and acres. Can't be messing with my pints.

Cheers, however I just converted your 11st in to metric* circa 70kg, so 5kg would be a good loss sadly I have not been in the 70kg region since I was 13 or 14.

The lack of holidays will help the waistline alright.

*Which I just googled started in Ireland in 1970 to be completed in 2005 except for pints and acres. Can't be messing with my pints.

Is a age thing as well. My old lad is inches, feet, lbs and sts.......

• Advertisement

Peoples height & weight & pints of beer... other than that I'm pretty sure I use metric for everything:confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Same here! Kilometres, grammes, centimetres etc!
    But I'm feet and inches for height, and stones and lbs for weight. :)

Well being a booze hound its only pints for me all the rest is same the new world.

I've never heard an Irish person say "I'm 1.6 metres tall", but maybe that's just me.

I'd measure a room or furniture in centimetres/metres though, confusingly. :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    I've never heard an Irish person say "I'm 1.6 metres tall", but maybe that's just me.

I'd measure a room or furniture in centimetres/metres though, confusingly. :pac:

Same.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

And me. :)

We were height in m and kilo's since teens, I do remember being about 14 and being told that I was 5'11.5 and 11.5 stone when we were in camp. From then on it was always kg and m's. even nicknames, 2 metre peter for example. Also the tonne club, reserved for us folk 100kg or over.

2nd weight in tonight down 3lbs.

Delighted again. :D

I’m owing this all to fruit and early morning dog walks haha.

Week 1: -6.5lbs
    Week 2: -3lbs

Loughc wrote: »
    2nd weight in tonight down 3lbs.

Delighted again. :D

I’m owing this all to fruit and early morning dog walks haha.

Week 1: -6.5lbs
    Week 2: -3lbs

Needless to say the subsequent shut down of SW and being confined to the house most days has resulted in a rapid slow down in weight loss for me, no surprise as I am eating everything in the cupboards.

Week 3: -0.5lb
    Week 4: -0.5lb

I am getting a small loss as I am focused on getting 2-3 long walks in a day and that's been working for me so far haha.

Needless to say the subsequent shut down of SW and being confined to the house most days has resulted in a rapid slow down in weight loss for me, no surprise as I am eating everything in the cupboards.

Week 3: -0.5lb
    Week 4: -0.5lb

I am getting a small loss as I am focused on getting 2-3 long walks in a day and that's been working for me so far haha.

In times like this weight gain is the norm, so even a simple maintaining of weight is a positive. Hopefully the restrictions around exercise dont increase or we're really snookered. Not run far in my back garden:D

So far I've lost 1.5lbs since this whole mess started which i'm treating as a positive. Avoiding raiding the cupboards & fridge numerous times per day is a herculean task mind!!

• Advertisement

Fair play guys. I'm a bit of a stress eater so last weeks not been good :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Weighed myself on Saturday and was 4.5lbs down on the SW scales the previous week. Don't know if the different scales had anything to do with that. Gonna keep weighing in on a Saturday. trying my best to stay on track.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Fair play guys. I'm a bit of a stress eater so last weeks not been good :(

I’m very much a stress eater too.

Feck it, stay safe and stay healthy right now.

We can focus on weight loss and looking fabulous when this is all over- and then it'll be Christmas, and time to gain 4 stone, in no time at all! :D

Posy wrote: »
    Feck it, stay safe and stay healthy right now.

We can focus on weight loss and looking fabulous when this is all over- and then it'll be Christmas, and time to gain 4 stone, in no time at all! :D

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter please, I live for advise like this :)

Needless to say eating habits went completely off the rails during this lockdown, first the lockdown caused the entire neighbourhood into an untalked about but we all know it's happening great neighborhood bakeoff.

Baked goods to beat (or in this case eat) the band!! Then the nice weather brought drinking out the back garden in the sun, nibbly bits and lots and lots of crisps!

Finally I've gotten my sh!t together, after doing a week of extreme measures (I did one of those shake diets for a week) I'm down 7LBS in a week.

I'm aware the shake thing isn't sustainable long term at all but it's boost I needed to get back on track.

I'm going to keep the shake thing up until Friday as I didn't mind it at all, then we're meant to be having a cheat night.

Going forward until we are back to normality I think I will calorie count and use My Fitness Pal to track everything. At the end of the day it's all calories in vs. calories out.

fair play to you on the shakes. I get all grumpy when I am on a struct diet. I am going to stop spamming the main Christmas thread and keep diet/exercise to this thread.

My fitness pal is great, though I cheat by selecting an egg, for example, which has the lowest cals.

fair play to you on the shakes. I get all grumpy when I am on a struct diet.

My fitness pal is great, though I cheat by selecting an egg, for example, which has the lowest cals.

I normally get grumpy on those kind of diets too, but I needed the kick in the arse, and I found I'm snacking more often (100kcal) snacks of fruit in between meals which really helped getting the hanger at bay.

Yeah I get what you're saying with MFP, I guess it's no different than any diet method there'll always be a chance to cheat on it.

The barcode scanner is great and does make it easier and most things now a days even fruit and veg have barcodes on them/packaging

fair play to you on the shakes. I get all grumpy when I am on a struct diet. I am going to stop spamming the main Christmas thread and keep diet/exercise to this thread.

Actually thats a good call, should keep the diet/exercise talk to this thread going forward. I've been guilty of that more than anyone most likely so will do that from now on.

• Advertisement

I normally get grumpy on those kind of diets too, but I needed the kick in the arse, and I found I'm snacking more often (100kcal) snacks of fruit in between meals which really helped getting the hanger at bay.

Yeah I get what you're saying with MFP, I guess it's no different than any diet method there'll always be a chance to cheat on it.

The barcode scanner is great and does make it easier and most things now a days even fruit and veg have barcodes on them/packaging

I swear by MFP. When I lost 3 and a half stone a few years back that was my single biggest asset, I tried to not cheat & be as honest as possible and used the barcode scanner for everything and it made it into a challenge for me, as you said, calories in needed to be offset by exercise etc. Thankfully I've been maintaining ever since (give or take 6/7 pounds from lightest to heaviest) but if I cant shift this extra few soon I'll be going back onto it.

Advertisement