Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IFA and Factory Bitching thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

wrangler wrote: »
    And what are you going to do if they don't want to give an appeals process......., withdraw supplies,
    Time to call a spade a spade here, Farmers won't do what the nurses did.
    Stand up for themselves, whimpering and blaming joe healy isn't going to cut it.
    No point in saying I want I want and not prepared to back it up,
    I'm sick of telling that there's no support.
    It is as it is, even BPM is able to do nothing
    Joe Healy no. Michael Doran and Justin McCarthy were the trumpeters of the grid and the factory owned unregulated grading machines 10 years ago. Doran milks now jersey cows while Justin milks suckler farmers egos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Willfarman wrote: »
    Joe Healy no. Michael Doran and Justin McCarthy were the trumpeters of the grid and the factory owned unregulated grading machines 10 years ago. Doran milks now jersey cows while Justin milks suckler farmers egos.

You play the cards you're dealt
    There was some fair whingeing about the department graders too at the time, It was going on when I was on livestock. Must be another one of those ''now we want them, now we don't want them'' things..... I lost patience with them fairly quick anyway, instead of six years I did ten months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And what are you going to do if they don't want to give an appeals process......., withdraw supplies,
    Time to call a spade a spade here, Farmers won't do what the nurses did.
    Stand up for themselves, whimpering and blaming joe healy isn't going to cut it.
    No point in saying I want I want and not prepared to back it up,
    I'm sick of telling that there's no support.
    It is as it is, even BPM is able to do nothing

You always harp on about it but withdrawing supplies is not really an option. A nurse, a garda, a factory workers goes on strike there is extra work to be completed when they come back. Factory blockades and chaining supermarket trolly's are only photo opportunities. When farmers blockade a factory its back up cattle and processors can then use these to drop the price again.

The issue with grading machines is a disgrace in that the lads who advocated the system failed to put regulation and standardization in place. They also failed to see the way the beef market was going. When a sirloin or striploin from an R- and O- sit on a tray the weighting machine charges the same/kg. When you see what went on 12 months ago by IFA and the FJ with there save the sucker campaign where some were advocating increasing grid differentials and Cormac Healy was lapping it up it easy to see who understands the beef market. If these idiots got there was the UK supermarket beef would cheaper for the processors to buy.

What is need is producer groups and that the NSAI weight and measures takes over the checking and standardization of the machines. Standing outside a factory for a photo opportunity for Healy or McCorley is only stroking there ego's

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

You always harp on about it but withdrawing supplies is not really an option. A nurse, a garda, a factory workers goes on strike there is extra work to be completed when they come back. Factory blockades and chaining supermarket trolly's are only photo opportunities. When farmers blockade a factory its back up cattle and processors can then use these to drop the price again.

The issue with grading machines is a disgrace in that the lads who advocated the system failed to put regulation and standardization in place. They also failed to see the way the beef market was going. When a sirloin or striploin from an R- and O- sit on a tray the weighting machine charges the same/kg. When you see what went on 12 months ago by IFA and the FJ with there save the sucker campaign where some were advocating increasing grid differentials and Cormac Healy was lapping it up it easy to see who understands the beef market. If these idiots got there was the UK supermarket beef would cheaper for the processors to buy.

What is need is producer groups and that the NSAI weight and measures takes over the checking and standardization of the machines. Standing outside a factory for a photo opportunity for Healy or McCorley is only stroking there ego's

How do producer groups work?

I'm just making the point that there is no way to force the hand of the processors, again I revert back to our road deal and windturbine deal where farmers got off their butt and took action and got huge changes made to the deal. Gas line deal was good too, Both the road deal and gasline deal could have been just CPO'd and no more about it.
    IFA always had the option of trying to increase the differentials in grades as there was good scientific reasons for it but because most of the beef is poorer grades and as dairy farmers work harder in the organisation it would never have been pushed. It'd devalue two thirds of the beef sold or maybe more as some a lot of 'beef' cattle are poorer quality too.
    As you say lobbying and protest is a waste of time as regards processors but there'd be some whin complaining if we didn't do it and equally as much if we did and equally some complaining if we didn't get it highlighted in the press, Why do you think I'd walk away from it when it'd start

It's just a group getting together with say 10000 cattle between them and seeing who'll be interested, you need commitment from farmers !!!!!!!
    They can't go off willy nilly somewhere else if there's a better price and it takes a while to build a repertoire so the first while can be shaky.
    If there's a scarcity there will be better prices so that tests it,
    Sometimes a good agent is as effective if he's independent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was anyone listening to the Sean o rourke show?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was anyone listening to the Sean o rourke show?

Yea, I thought the MII explained it fairly well, Sean O Rourke reckoned the residencies row was irrelevant in the whole scheme of things at the moment.
    IFA getting criticised for sitting in on a meeting about QA and BPM on the radio this morning pleading with Creed to be allowed be included in a meeting, It'd be funny if it wasn't so serious

At present there is an imbalance between farmers and processors. I think about 70% of the kill is controlled by 3 processing groups. To counter balance this the EU in 2016 allowed individuals countries to introduce legislation regarding producer marketing groups (PMG). This would allow for the bypassing of the Competition Authority. The Government went as far as proposing that there would be a minimum of 3 producer groups and the minimum number of farmers in a group would be 5000 farmers. All farmers would have to join one of these PMG. IFA opposed it and looked for minimum number to be in the low hundreds.

In general if the original proposals had being followed through processors would no longer employ agents coming to your yard they would be employed by the PMG's. All pricing would be transparent and available to all farmers. However IFA's proposal neutered the original concept. If there existed a select group the processors could used this group as they use there controlled feedlots to control the price of beef at times of shortage. Processors would have to deal with PMG's as there would be no other way to access cattle. However they would not have access to market intelligence that agents provide at present. As well they would be unable to see from CMS where in the system cattle were. In the medium to long term PMG's would lead to forward pricing as processors compete for stock when numbers would be tight.
    It's just a group getting together with say 10000 cattle between them and seeing who'll be interested, you need commitment from farmers !!!!!!!
    They can't go off willy nilly somewhere else if there's a better price and it takes a while to build a repertoire so the first while can be shaky.
    If there's a scarcity there will be better prices so that tests it,
    Sometimes a good agent is as effective if he's independent

If it was an exam you would get an F

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

At present there is an imbalance between farmers and processors. I think about 70% of the kill is controlled by 3 processing groups. To counter balance this the EU in 2016 allowed individuals countries to introduce legislation regarding producer marketing groups (PMG). This would allow for the bypassing of the Competition Authority. The Government went as far as proposing that there would be a minimum of 3 producer groups and the minimum number of farmers in a group would be 5000 farmers. All farmers would have to join one of these PMG. IFA opposed it and looked for minimum number to be in the low hundreds.

In general if the original proposals had being followed through processors would no longer employ agents coming to your yard they would be employed by the PMG's. All pricing would be transparent and available to all farmers. However IFA's proposal neutered the original concept. If there existed a select group the processors could used this group as they use there controlled feedlots to control the price of beef at times of shortage. Processors would have to deal with PMG's as there would be no other way to access cattle. However they would not have access to market intelligence that agents provide at present. As well they would be unable to see from CMS where in the system cattle were. In the medium to long term PMG's would lead to forward pricing as processors compete for stock when numbers would be tight.

And then your mother would wake you for breakfast
    And the processors would tell you where to stuff your producer groups, I know I would.
    The PMG would then be accused of taking brown envelopes from all over to let some farmers jump the queue at times of glut like we have at the moment.
    Sounding familiar aren't I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

The PMG would then be accused of taking brown envelopes from all over to let some farmers jump the queue at times of glut like we have at the moment.

You'd imagine a sufficiently transparent system could avoid such accusations.....

And then your mother would wake you for breakfast
    And the processors would tell you where to stuff your producer groups, I know I would.

Again you let on to misunderstand the concept. IFA did not that is why they put a proposal that would have made it ineffectual. Processors would have no other access to cattle so they would have no other choice but to deal with these PMG's.

Processors could still set spec's and look for certain specs in cattle or type of cattle. However pricing would be always visible. However farmer would have to get to understand that cattle might have to be prices 2-3 weeks in advance. there might still be spot pricing but this would depend on the supply of cattle. But producer groups would prevent processors from controling the supply with contracted and owned feedlots.

Slava Ukrainii

Again you let on to misunderstand the concept. IFA did not that is why they put a proposal that would have made it ineffectual. Processors would have no other access to cattle so they would have no other choice but to deal with these PMG's.

Processors could still set spec's and look for certain specs in cattle or type of cattle. However pricing would be always visible. However farmer would have to get to understand that cattle might have to be prices 2-3 weeks in advance. there might still be spot pricing but this would depend on the supply of cattle. But producer groups would prevent processors from controling the supply with contracted and owned feedlots.

They'd just go to another country, There's no way an independent company would set up with that sh..e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

They'd just go to another country, There's no way an independent company would set up with that sh..e

I’m not terribly sure any independent country would tolerate Goodman’s Criminality.

Willfarman wrote: »
    I’m not terribly sure any independent country would tolerate Goodman’s Criminality.

Seems to be doing alright all over

• Advertisement

IFA are running an information meeting on producer groups early March, have legal opinion and all,
    That's not new, Henry Burns always said at public meetings that they were there to help any group so I don't know where you get your information,
    It's a long time since henry was representing us and no one bothered to start a group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

IFA are running an information meeting on producer groups early March, have legal opinion and all,
    That's not new, Henry Burns always said at public meetings that they were there to help any group so I don't know where you get your information,
    It's a long time since henry was representing us and no one bothered to start a group

do it yourselfs lads, we'll give ye a bit of advice if ye want!
    what leadership!!! they'd make Shakleton proud!

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    do it yourselfs lads, we'll give ye a bit of advice if ye want!
    what leadership!!! they'd make Shakleton proud!

Too many farmers will say ''on with ya, I'll be right behind you'' which they won't be.
    What's worse is that when it messes up, organisers will be blamed;

Like a child they'll appreciate it much more when they do it themselves.
    You don't be representing farmers for 30 years and learn nothing

Too many farmers will say ''on with ya, I'll be right behind you'' which they won't be.
    What's worse is that when it messes up, organisers will be blamed;

Like a child they'll appreciate it much more when they do it themselves.
    You don't be representing farmers for 30 years and learn nothing

I can imagine,
    I must say you really must have been let down bad to say that you are so Bitter and angry now, I'd go as far as to say your hoping farming and any move to invigorate it fail. youve said as much anyway. you seem to look up to the factories and the MI and down with sustain on your former peers. I think that's kinda sad really, but I guess the system eventually broke you (and we all have our breaking points) and left you so jaded. I'm sure you probably were a Goodman to have in your corner once upon a time.
    and all this when you should be enjoying life a bit more.

as for myself, they asked for farmers support with the BPM, I heard them out. the plan doesn't sound perfect to me but tis at least a positive step. so I gave them my support and will continue to until it's either a resounding success or as you say it's buried by the meat industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I can imagine,
    I must say you really must have been let down bad to say that you are so Bitter and angry now, I'd go as far as to say your hoping farming and any move to invigorate it fail. youve said as much anyway. you seem to look up to the factories and the MI and down with sustain on your former peers. I think that's kinda sad really, but I guess the system eventually broke you (and we all have our breaking points) and left you so jaded. I'm sure you probably were a Goodman to have in your corner once upon a time.

as for myself, they asked for farmers support with the BPM, I heard them out. the plan doesn't sound perfect to me but tis at least a positive step. so I gave them my support and will continue to until it's either a resounding success or as you say it's buried by the meat industry.
    ^i hope no-one takes stuff posted on the internet to heart.

The bpm seem to have strayed drom the 86point plan a small bit tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭Base price

IMO beef producer groups will never work in Ireland.
    Everyone knows someone on the inside track - you can skip the queue, get a few cents more/kg and look after your own interests.
    Some call it cute hoorism but most of us would say that it's who we are.

I can imagine,

You see the support that BPM got at Backweston and they're supposed to be the messiah now........ farmers could've supported them with all the work they have put in over the last few months,
    I recognise the main points of the plan from IFA five years ago so I suppose corley and Doyle copied and pasted, after all Doyle was supposed to have attended a livestock meeting to formulate a beef plan as their last IFA meeting.
    Where it came from doesn't matter, to get a trick over IFA they have to deliver it but they can't be Underminig Brexit negotiationS

^i hope no-one takes stuff posted on the internet to heart.

The bpm seem to have strayed drom the 86point plan a small bit tbh

It's a bit disappointing when saddos who never did anything for farmers criticise IFA because they didn't deliver Utopia.
    Belittling all the schemes as if they they'd a god given entitlement to anything.
    Saw this on Facebook
    Below is a listof what the world owes you.

zilch

You see the support that BPM got at Backweston and they're supposed to be the messiah now........ farmers could've supported them with all the work they have put in over the last few months,
    I recognise the main points of the plan from IFA five years ago so I suppose corley and Doyle copied and pasted, after all Doyle was supposed to have attended a livestock meeting to formulate a beef plan as their last IFA meeting.
    Where it came from doesn't matter, to get a trick over IFA they have to deliver it but they can't be Underminig Brexit negotiationS

Undermining Brexit negotiations? ah come on now.
    in terms of the support in Backseat in, that must have been a last minute decision to do that because it didn't go up on our group till the night before.

personally I think all this TB testing and 4 movements talk is grand but it's only beating around the Bush.
    it's the price that's the problem. most 4 movements cattle would probably be up around to 30 month mark anyway so the movements don't matter at that stage.
    lads wouldn't give a **** about movements so long as they were being paid enough for the cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Well there must be some dust on that plan from five years ago, because they certainly did nothing for beef farmers in the last five years.

_Brian wrote: »
    Well there must be some dust on that plan from five years ago, because they certainly did nothing for beef farmers in the last five years.

Beef farmers got their SFP defended, after all it was originally a cattle/sheep entitlement, Commisioner Ciolos met us at Ardee mart and told us that 30% of our allocation would go to eastern Europe and the rest would be divided across the board, we got the most of the 30% cut deferred and Got coveney to defer the ''convergence'', even yet it's not where Ciolos wanted it, so don't say they did nothing for beef farmers, There wasn't much sign of the wannabes when we were meeting rural TDs to impress on them that drystock farmers couldn't survive without their subsidies. We need them more now than 1990.
    It was worth €50/lamb to me in 2012, about €40 now if I was still farming, so what is Corleys top up worth to him on every animal or any other beef farmer.
    Then there's all the schemes, love em or hate em, farmers are taking full advantage of them .

_Brian wrote: »

Just in case you think that IFA weren't onto department about trim and grading,
    Here's part of the livestock report to AGM in Jan 2018......... long before BPM got off their butt.

Classification and Trim
    IFA secured agreement from Minister Creed that up to 150
    Department AOs will monitor carcase trim in the meat plants
    on a constant basis from November, with full rollout in January
    2019. IFA is also working to have new technology on lighting
    and cameras introduced for mechanical classification and
    increased supervision of carcase grading by the DAFM. IFA
    highlighted the unacceptable breaches on carcase trim and
    insisted on Minister Creed naming the meat plants involved.

I think those few lines shows the irrelevance of BPM
    Corley would've known that was coming down the line, kinda shows them up for what they are
    It wouldn't do you any harm to read all the reports, it'd give you an idea of the level of representation for a small membership cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Just in case you think that IFA weren't onto department about trim and grading,
    Here's part of the livestock report to AGM in Jan 2018......... long before BPM got off their butt.

Classification and Trim
    IFA secured agreement from Minister Creed that up to 150
    Department AOs will monitor carcase trim in the meat plants
    on a constant basis from November, with full rollout in January
    2019. IFA is also working to have new technology on lighting
    and cameras introduced for mechanical classification and
    increased supervision of carcase grading by the DAFM. IFA
    highlighted the unacceptable breaches on carcase trim and
    insisted on Minister Creed naming the meat plants involved.

I think those few lines shows the irrelevance of BPM
    Corley would've known that was coming down the line, kinda shows them up for what they are
    It wouldn't do you any harm to read all the reports, it'd give you an idea of the level of representation for a small membership cost

The AO wouldn’t be checking trim it would be TVi and vets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Producer group will never work, for the simple fact guys will not stand together and you will have the big ifa jumping around when it suits them to Larry’s tune as he collects the gravy for them.look at the 4 movement rule that the ifa got in for to suit and use as a stick to beat beef men with when it suits the factory.
    All they want is to keep the gravy coming in to fill the trough.

Producer group will never work, for the simple fact guys will not stand together and you will have the big ifa jumping around when it suits them to Larry’s tune as he collects the gravy for them.look at the 4 movement rule that the ifa got in for to suit and use as a stick to beat beef men with when it suits the factory.
    All they want is to keep the gravy coming in to fill the trough.

That comment will illustrate to everyone why I have shag all sympathy for beef farmers, Despite how many times I say that the farmers on the livestock commitee don't give a sh..e about where the money comes from , [mod edit] 'people' come out with these comments, Childish comments,
    Our lamb group has 120 members and only 3% are not QA. QA is easy money for doing what you should be doing anyway....good farming practise. Our members just get on with it, no whingeing.
    I wouldn't eat lamb over six mths old, so that's my spec, if you don't want to supply that you can feck off, farmers can supply the spec, find someone who'll accept lesser quality or get out altogether

• Advertisement

Undermining Brexit negotiations? ah come on now.
    in terms of the support in Backseat in, that must have been a last minute decision to do that because it didn't go up on our group till the night before.

personally I think all this TB testing and 4 movements talk is grand but it's only beating around the Bush.
    it's the price that's the problem. most 4 movements cattle would probably be up around to 30 month mark anyway so the movements don't matter at that stage.
    lads wouldn't give a **** about movements so long as they were being paid enough for the cattle.

Did you not hear Sean ORourke talking to BPM during the week, firstly he saw through the whinge against IFA and secondly when BPM were asked was their little campaign a bit irrellevant against what's happening in the real world,
    BPM rep said there's enough looking after that, Ireland will be looked after.
    Like wtf, There's no country as vulnerable as Ireland in this mess unlees you#'re believing Coveney of course.
    Beef Price is the price all over Europe and thats not going to change unless downwards

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

That comment will illustrate to everyone why I have shag all sympathy for beef farmers, Despite how many times I say that the farmers on the livestock commitee don't give a sh..e about where the money comes from , [mod edit] 'people' come out with these comments, Childish comments,

Mod:

Wrangler, You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Base price wrote: »

I wouldn't mind them prioritising those membersthat pay the levy but trying to get the names of those that don't pay the levy is a bit over the top. They just want a list of names to target
    Same with getting the €70 discount on FBD if you even only allow IFA to phone you now.
    Must be huge pressure for money now, I was surprised to see how much money is left even after all the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Seen that this morning, have stopped all levies 5 years ago. Fully signed up member and paying membership fee but if they push to bring this in IL be cancelling membership subscription asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Fuxake

This is shocking and cannot possibly be legal under data protection laws, especially now that GDPR is in place. The fact that IFA are offering to indemnify levy collectors such as factories and marts suggests that both sides know full well that this is highly dodgy. I would be furious if any factory or mart supplied my personal details to IFA. Likewise, they can go to fook if they think I am signing any form which would in any way compromise my data protection rights. The levy is supposed to be voluntary and I will only do business with factories or marts that respect that.

Fuxake wrote: »
    This is shocking and cannot possibly be legal under data protection laws, especially now that GDPR is in place. The fact that IFA are offering to indemnify levy collectors such as factories and marts suggests that both sides know full well that this is highly dodgy. I would be furious if any factory or mart supplied my personal details to IFA. Likewise, they can go to fook if they think I am signing any form which would in any way compromise my data protection rights. The levy is supposed to be voluntary and I will only do business with factories or marts that respect that.

Could be BS too from the Indo, Creed had to apologise for the last accusation against the IFA. Wasn't it the Indo that reported that.

Could be BS too from the Indo, Creed had to apologise for the last accusation against the IFA. Wasn't it the Indo that reported that.

It was Creed who apologized remember.
    From reading the article IFA is on dodgy grounds here. I have always disagreed with the levy from a beef point of view. The same turnover is levied 2-4 times. However that is beside the point. While the IFA can indemnify the collectors strictly from a legal view point if you knowingly break the law there is also a chance of a custodial sentence.

However as the law lecturer point out the sharing of personnel information is on an opt in basis not opt out basis. It's BS by the IFA wanting to represent people. They have the names of those who pay. It's starting to look at an attempt to run a protection racket

Slava Ukrainii

It was Creed who apologized remember.
    From reading the article IFA is on dodgy grounds here. I have always disagreed with the levy from a beef point of view. The same turnover is levied 2-4 times. However that is beside the point. While the IFA can indemnify the collectors strictly from a legal view point if you knowingly break the law there is also a chance of a custodial sentence.

However as the law lecturer point out the sharing of personnel information is on an opt in basis not opt out basis. It's BS by the IFA wanting to represent people. They have the names of those who pay. It's starting to look at an attempt to run a protection racket

I can't understand what they're at, they have legal advice there pretty much on site.
    They should have a list of those who pay and look after them same as members, but there's no reason for them to have names of those that don't pay the levy.
    They should now represent their members, and those that are not happy with them leave,
    The way it's going now non members think they have a right to criticise. Hard enough to deal with whats coming at farmers now
    €3.2m collected in levies,IFA must have enough support to run just as another farm organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭older by the day

IF A is a money making organisation, are they still against capping the SFP at 60000 euro. In case it might be shared out fairly??

IF A is a money making organisation, are they still against capping the SFP at 60000 euro. In case it might be shared out fairly??

The way I see it being ''shared'' now it's anything but fair,
    Farmers will sort the capping the same as they've always done

Dept website is now showing the number of cattle slaughtered originating from feedlots, although the link doesn't work for me.

54,000 cattle were slaughtered in Jan & Feb representing 17% of the kill for the two months and it's a hell of a lot more than the 5% the Cormac Healy was spouting about a few weeks ago.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalidentificationmovement/cattle/bovinebirthandmovementsmonthlyreports/
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-now-publishing-feedlot-kill-on-monthly-basis/
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/54000-feedlot-cattle-in-2-months-calls-made-for-impact-study/

Dept website is now showing the number of cattle slaughtered originating from feedlots, although the link doesn't work for me.

54,000 cattle were slaughtered in Jan & Feb representing 17% of the kill for the two months and it's a hell of a lot more than the 5% the Cormac Healy was spouting about a few weeks ago.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalidentificationmovement/cattle/bovinebirthandmovementsmonthlyreports/
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-now-publishing-feedlot-kill-on-monthly-basis/
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/54000-feedlot-cattle-in-2-months-calls-made-for-impact-study/

They still don't know how many are factory owned, the feedlot farms aren't all factories and the ordinary farmers aren't all feeding for themselves, so it's stupid carry on, Cormac said that 5% was coming from factory owned cattle....no one has disproved that yet
    No one's complaining when factory buyers are in the marts buying store cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

They still don't know how many are factory owned, the feedlot farms aren't all factories and the ordinary farmers aren't all feeding for themselves, so it's stupid carry on, Cormac said that 5% was coming from factory owned cattle....no one has disproved that yet
    No one's complaining when factory buyers are in the marts buying store cattle

The dept don't want feedlots either, particularly on a smaller scale.

Mooooo wrote: »
    The dept don't want feedlots either, particularly on a smaller scale.

Why do they not want them.
    There has to be facilities to take cattle from restricted herds for welfare reasons at least, If feedlots weren't around there'd be a lot more cattle shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

There has to be facilities to take cattle from restricted herds for welfare reasons at least, If feedlots weren't around there'd be a lot more cattle shot

I was a classified as feedlot for just over a year as i was locked up, along with 2 other farmers in my parish, and all cattle would be on grass 8 months of the year. So I'd say its a lot closer to the 5% than the 17% that are in a true feedlot alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Finisher here went in to a feedlot, he's mainly a summer grazer buys culls in the spring would have em finished before winter, twas the impression he got unless it's just lads that have stock outside they don't want

I was a classified as feedlot for just over a year as i was locked up, along with 2 other farmers in my parish, and all cattle would be on grass 8 months of the year. So I'd say its a lot closer to the 5% than the 17% that are in a true feedlot alright.

Did you have to double fence the boundaries

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Did you have to double fence the boundaries

Was already done. It was mentioned but never checked.

I finally got to read some of the rag this morning. Carcass grading and grading machine's is starting to raise its head. The department and the processors are trailing the new machines. You would not believe it but they seem to be using a special equation on the Irish machines compared to the rest of Europe. It seems that this will reduce the grades on dairy bred cattle.

TBF the IFA seem to be on top of it this time. Hard to believe the Department would connive with the processor's to reduce grades. You would wonder at times.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement