Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2018: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ferrari to launch their new car on the 22nd of February.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I bit the bullet and ditched virgin media for Sky.

Can't wait for the new season now.

LEIN wrote: »

Will you still be watching half the races on C4?

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Will you still be watching half the races on C4?

Might mix it up at times, I do like Ben and David.
    The 5-minute adverts kill me in the build-up and the post-race stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

From a longtime skyf1 subscriber (and f1 regular viewer since the early 90's) you won't go back to C4 once you start watching sky. The gulf in coverage quality is massive.

Sometimes the commentary and the old boys club "crofty" etc gets a bit drawl but the actual "product" is first class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

The package is great, I enjoy being able to watch all the races live, also I pay less than before. Turns out Virgin were robbing *******. I still watch live on C4 when I can as some of the Sky coverage is annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Might mix it up at times, I do like Ben and David.
    The 5-minute adverts kill me in the build-up and the post-race stuff.

I've just ditched Sky. Going to miss the coverage, but I really decided that the f1 was the only reason I was keeping it at all, and it was too much per month.

Interestingly though, I would always choose C4 over Sky. The only thing I missed from the Sky coverage was Ted and Martin - give me Ben and DC on commentary over Crofty any day. Also, watching Herbert and Hill can be like watching paint dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ELM327 wrote: »

Sometimes the commentary and the old boys club "crofty" etc gets a bit drawl but the actual "product" is first class

Are you serious:confused: The sky product is pure tabloid low end rubbish. I'll admit 2017 had slightly more technical pieces which was a plus but the whole thing is feels like it's aimed at simpletons with no real depth to anything. Then add in the likes of Ted Kravitz, how he has a job is utterly beyond me, they also tend to ignore anything non British happening and this is getting worse and worse, it may as well be the Hamilton show these days.
    Their use of the big TV is really shoddy as well, it rarely works smoothly with a single press and doesn't look great when the presenter is pressing it multiple times to get it to do anything.

Crofty is also shockingly bad, I sometimes wonder if he only watches the data screens and not the races, he misses everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Are you serious:confused: The sky product is pure tabloid low end rubbish. I'll admit 2017 had slightly more technical pieces which was a plus but the whole thing is feels like it's aimed at simpletons with no real depth to anything. Then add in the likes of Ted Kravitz, how he has a job is utterly beyond me, they also tend to ignore anything non British happening and this is getting worse and worse, it may as well be the Hamilton show these days.
    Their use of the big TV is really shoddy as well, it rarely works smoothly with a single press and doesn't look great when the presenter is pressing it multiple times to get it to do anything.

Crofty is also shockingly bad, I sometimes wonder if he only watches the data screens and not the races, he misses everything

“It’s lights out and away we go”

My most hated phrase sang by David Croft.

Oh come back Murray Walker.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

“It’s lights out and away we go”

My most hated phrase sang by David Croft.

Oh come back Murray Walker.

I dont like crofty but to be fair, most commentators develop a phrase at the lights out to allow them have a look at whats happening and put some order on things before they start to speak in detail.
    I think it was brendan foster the athletics commentator who spoke about that before saying he was making a hash of commentary until he started using an opening phrase to get his bearings.
    Croft does miss everything though, its almost laughable.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    I dont like crofty but to be fair, most commentators develop a phrase at the lights out to allow them have a look at whats happening and put some order on things before they start to speak in detail.
    I think it was brendan foster the athletics commentator who spoke about that before saying he was making a hash of commentary until he started using an opening phrase to get his bearings.
    Croft does miss everything though, its almost laughable.

Murray Walker had a different one for most races.

Croft and co. Are so sickeningly In love with Hamilton that they miss everything else around them.

James Allen is another Hamilton lover.

Brundle isn’t as bad but could be better.

British channel yes, British grid no.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I disagree, compared to the other offerings it's the best show in town by some distance IMO. I remember watching on Eurosport, ITV, BBC, Channel4, Sky, Setanta.
    With the obvious exception of Murray Walker I can't think of anything that beats the sky product.
    I actually like Ted's notebook as a feature and the amount of "F1 derived programming" that they offer is also unmatched. The occasional britishisms are annoying alright but it is a british channel so it's to be expected. Above all else I pay for the HD sports pack only for F1 and NFL and I can't see that changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The sky presenters make me cringe. They act like they're a bunch of strangers that someone has instructed to pretend they're all best friends. The result is stupid nicknames for each other and forced unfunny jokes. My Google Home has more of a personality than Simon Lazenby and whenever I see Jonny Herbert I get the urge to kick him in the face.

The channel 4 presenters on the other hand seem like a genuine team. I disliked Steve Jones at first, but I think he's really settled into the role. Coulthard and Webber also have a good rapport.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

Agree with Channel 4 team, I enjoy watching their coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

BBC were best with Brundle-Allen and then Brundle - coulthard. 2010 to 2012? Also when competing in the first year with sky. Since then the quality went downhill, still good but not as good as it was. I think as channel 4 phases out there is no need to compete anymore.
    There is only the Austrian commentary team Hausberger Wurz that competes with them. Still the pre show is nowhere better

Harika wrote: »
    BBC were best with Brundle-Allen and then Brundle - coulthard. 2010 to 2012? Also when competing in the first year with sky. Since then the quality went downhill, still good but not as good as it was. I think as channel 4 phases out there is no need to compete anymore.

Jonathan Legard was rubbish on the BBC.

James Allen was the same on ITV.

Walker/Brundle was for less than 4 years but fantastic.

James Hunt went too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Wow, I'd say there could be truth to that hence the delay....

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Wow, I'd say there could be truth to that hence the delay....

The bit that confuses me though is in relation to insurance.

He got a massive payout after the rally accident, if he races in F1 again that has to be repaid it seems.

If after 7 races he is dispensed with, will be be bankrupted by it?

Also if it's the first 7 races, that takes in Russia, no Russian on the grid won't please Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Daniel Ricciardo will be a Ferrari driver from the 2019 season.

....you heard it here first. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The word from normally very reliable journalists is that Kubica is the preferred driver but SMP offered double the money for Sirotkin to drive. The stories put out about Kubica being slower where to avoid the accusations of Williams accepting pay drivers over ability - again reported by reliable journalists.

The delay in announcing a driver for 2018 is to allow Kubica to raise more money - CVC (yes that CVC) are indirectly the main backers of Kubica.

An additional complication is that SMP has issues with authorities in America and Canada - SMP Bank is blacklisted . Williams is these days a quoted company....

Putin is a close associate and old friend of Boris and Arkady Rotenberg - the owners of SMP bank - thus the murmurings of a Russian driver in F1 at any cost.

The New Year will be interesting and will certainly mould the future of Williams

Sebastian-Vettel-Ferrari-Formel-1-fotoshowBig-49c4442d-1136762.jpg

Nice photo.

Sky have the full 2017 season on demand...

My Sunday morning is sorted.

436993.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be fair he was hardly telling a lie.
    Nephew taking dress sense from lewis.

mickdw wrote: »
    To be fair he was hardly telling a lie.
    Nephew taking dress sense from lewis.

I agree, his personal thoughts on family should be separate to public image though.

Is it any wonder he’s not the most likable of people.

I never thought I'd see the day when I stuck up for Hamilton but talk about a ****in mountain out of a molehill.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Maybe Hamilton should think and say the words in is mind first before speaking. You would think he would be good at thinking seen as he has such a job that requires a lot of very fast thinking. I say fair play to his nephew he sounds adorable and there is no harm in it at all if he wants to wear a dress. Men done it for years and wore heels too. I think its great.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That's modern society for ya. You can't say anything without somebody getting offended.

How dare you say such a thing!!

:pac:

Advertisement