Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last cut of the year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

NIMAN wrote: »
    Don't think it'll be the last cut, but I was able to get a cut done today with the first decent day in about a month up here!

Soil still very sodden, but that's understandable considering its basically rained every day for a month, often incredibly heavily.

Thing I noticed about lawns that haven't been cut in maybe 3 or so weeks, is that it looks like individual blades of grass before the cut, but once you cut it, it takes on a more solid mass of grass, almost moss like. Gone are the individual blades. But if you cut it every couple of days during good weather, it always looks like grass. Anyone else notice this, or is it just mine?

And I only topped it today, due to the fact that it was so high.

Hopefully we'll get a decent spell of dry weather over the next week or two so I can get at it more often.
    I normally cut my grass to an inch but today had to cut it at 2 inches due to the dampness . Looks well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah I tend to leave my grass a bit longer, too many people scalp their grass imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭paulbok

Mowed at lunchtime, no chance it'll be the last, still heavy growth.
    Only December last year required no mowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did the front today very lush, and the back which was done last weekend already needs another cut. It's flying. Will be cutting it until December probably.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

September a huge month for my lawn. Have two bags of autumn feed to go down and then the scarifier will come out to clear the thatch. Long way off the last cut.

• Advertisement

I know we are a long way off the last cut, just had no other thread to post in!

Let's hope the weather dries up a fair bit between now and November, so we can keep cutting.

we can say in the east/southeast it's an all year passtime (!) if we want to make it so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm still cutting twice a week. Lots more growth in the year yet.

How did you manage to cut twice a week in August, it rained nearly every day (well it did in Donegal anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Belt went in mower a week ago....like a forest out their

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Growth as strong now as at any time of year so far. I mulch mine and if it’s not cut at least every 5 days the finish is not as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Is it me or does this thread or one similar start off again earlier and earlier every year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Grass hasn’t and won’t slow down in the southwest unless temperatures drop significantly.

Still mowing rain or shine here.

I do my last cut of thee year on 23rd December at home in readiness for Christmas I then cut again second/third week of January for my birthday and then semi regularly until regular cutting resumes in March/April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭paulbok

All going well there'll be a robomower of some description doing the lawns next year for me. Fecking sick of planning everything around cutting the grass with the weather we are having this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

No rain out there but not a breath of wind to dry the grass. I might just have cut regardless and ignore the subsequent mess

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Grass hasn’t and won’t slow down in the southwest unless temperatures drop significantly.

Still mowing rain or shine here.

I do my last cut of thee year on 23rd December at home in readiness for Christmas I then cut again second/third week of January for my birthday and then semi regularly until regular cutting resumes in March/April.

Very true. Grass never really stops growing, it just slows down when temperatures are consistently below 5 degrees. I have cut grass during dry spells in November and January.

I top mine once or twice in the winter alright but literally only a shave so as not to damage it. Really helps to have a newly sharpened blade too so there's no hacking or bruising happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭big_show

Looking to scarify the mother in law's lawn, very heavy with moss, planning to put some 4 in 1 on it tomorrow and scarify next Sunday. Expecting a lot to come off it so itll probably look a state, after I spread some grass seed can I expect a decent recovery before growth slows down? Based in the north west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

end of oct i reckon for me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

A landscaper told me they are cutting later and later each year for the last 10 years. Right up to the end of November now. I actually cut my lawn during a very dry day in early January. I think it was Jan 3rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

It’s like a meadow out there. Seems to be wet all the time with no real chance to cut it.

big_show wrote: »
    Looking to scarify the mother in law's lawn, very heavy with moss, planning to put some 4 in 1 on it tomorrow and scarify next Sunday. Expecting a lot to come off it so itll probably look a state, after I spread some grass seed can I expect a decent recovery before growth slows down? Based in the north west

Make sure you're using the autumn feed and not the normal 4-in-1 or you'll do more damage than good. I'd give it more than a week between treatment and scarifying too to let the moss die off as much as possible. It might say 'results in 7 days' but that's when you'll only start to see the blackening of the moss. Give it more time to work through completely.

UK_119701_MGE_PS.png?itok=ZhbH-XKC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Curly head wrote: »
    It’s like a meadow out there. Seems to be wet all the time with no real chance to cut it.
    mulch it. I cut ours in the lashing rain...unless it's too long of course and then u cant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

For those that have blowers, it helps with collection if you blow the surface water off the grass before cutting it.

Discodog wrote: »
    For those that have blowers, it helps with collection if you blow the surface water off the grass before cutting it.

That's what I always do, you can also tie a bunch of branches or twigs together with two strings or ropes about eight feet long and pull them across the grass, I've also done that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Discodog wrote: »

Jays is never thought of that
    Great idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭daheff

A landscaper told me they are cutting later and later each year for the last 10 years. Right up to the end of November now. I actually cut my lawn during a very dry day in early January. I think it was Jan 3rd.

me too.. think it was just after new years day i had my 'first' cut of this year. weather was dry and had been reasonably mild for a few weeks preceeding it, so it was growing again.

EDIT: looking at my post history it was 30th Dec last year

Spread Autumn lawn feed 10 days ago. Cut the lawn yesterday with a view of starting the scarifying process today as the moss patches have gone fully black. Had the scarifier out and was mixing the fuel when a sudden and heavy downpour arrived and drowned the place. Scuppered for today.

I haven't been able to get near the garden for the last few weeks, we have never had a day without heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I cut it on Monday thinking that's it, it's already grown back. I'll try again next week. When should it stop growing.

Gave it a high cut on Tuesday and it's going to need cutting again as soon as it's dry enough.

I cut it on Monday thinking that's it, it's already grown back. I'll try again next week. When should it stop growing.

Be a month or more I reckon before we see dormancy. It's still incredibly mild out with temps hitting mid teens comfortably each day. Very little ground frost too.

Was hoping I'd get the chance today but nope. And it's hard to see when there will next be 24 hours of dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Why are oeople advising not to cut low?

Got a cut of the front done yesterday, as it is usually drier than the back.

It was still damp enough.

I was about to tackle the back, then the heavens opened again.

So postponed for now. Shame cos the front looks grand again.

• Advertisement

Got both done Friday, Saturday growing like mad though and temperature is likely to be mild for a while yet. Indeed the soil and air are about the same. Just add water!

bobbyss wrote: »
    Why are oeople advising not to cut low?

Roots will suffer especially this time of year. Whatever is above ground is below. Cutting it longer this time of year protects it from frost, encourages root and side-shoot growth and will help prevent weeds from competing in the spring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Cut mine on Saturday after a 2 week break and it needed cutting. I mulch all the time so no worries on picking it up. ground was surprisingly ok. I cut for the last time in 2018 at the beginning of December and then again in February due to the mild winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Thoughts on scarifying. Is it getting a bit late for it?

I cut at the weekend, will be cutting into November easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Cut today. Last time was 10 days ago. Have to say it had grown more that I thought, it was very lush. Personally I'll give it a cut/clean up every 2/3 weeks over the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Cut today. Last time was 10 days ago. Have to say it had grown more that I thought, it was very lush. Personally I'll give it a cut/clean up every 2/3 weeks over the winter.

Said the same myself. The leaves are only starting to fall off the trees here, and I get a good few in from the estate. If anything, I'll be getting the mower out twice as much to gather them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

beertons wrote: »
    Said the same myself. The leaves are only starting to fall off the trees here, and I get a good few in from the estate. If anything, I'll be getting the mower out twice as much to gather them up.

I find the mower cleans up all the leaves chops them and there is a little bit of grass clippings in the mix. It makes great mulch/leaf mold

Cut this morning and the growth in a week was staggering. Cutting it high and will do so any time weather permits through the winter. So sign of a slow down yet and temperatures are projected to remain high enough for growth for another couple of weeks at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭podge018

Didn’t want to start a new thread..... is it too late to sow grass this week?

Not necessarily, but you'd want it to be fairly dry and mild for a few days before and mild after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

I cut my grass last week and it seems to have stopped growing now, Hopefully finished for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I managed to cut mine last Wednesday afternoon and could do it again later this week if it ever dries up, if only to hoover up the leaves...

I'll be mowing tomorrow and next week and into December and then January, in fact it never stops for me!

The outlook for grass cutting is pretty poor. :( Hard to see when we'll get two dry days back to back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

monkeynuz wrote: »
    it never stops for me!

How come?

• Advertisement
Advertisement