Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

'Mobituaries with Mo Rocca' - more like stand-alone radio documentaries than a podcast. A bit like 'This American Life', but less of TAL's overly-cosy in-house presenting style - really good.

'I Spy' is a podcast series by Foreign Policy magazine. Each episode is an interview with a former spy - there is a good range there (DEA agent who was based in Colombia as part of the drug war, a German KGB agent who defected to America).

I recommend the interview with the Mossad agent who took part in a bungled assassination attempt in Jordan - really gripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

outlook , the bbc version (in a way ) of rte's documentary on one

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Paradise... on bbc sounds. Has me really engaged first 5 episodes. About a couple murdured in Belize late 70s with a few twists along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Yet another crime podcast.

Red Handed.

First one I listened to was a 3 parter on Josef Frizl. Had forgotten just how much of a phucking bastard he was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Duplotastic

I highly recommend This Podcast Has Fleas for anyone with kids - or even without!

It's about a dog and cat in the same household who host competing podcasts. It's absolutely priceless.

There are 6 episodes, so small and beautifully formed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I highly recommend This Podcast Has Fleas for anyone with kids - or even without!

It's about a dog and cat in the same household who host competing podcasts. It's absolutely priceless.

As I'm a 36 year old kid, I'll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

ooh - will definitely check this out. Kids current favourites are Sean & Robot's Comedy Circuit & Story Pirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Probably been recommended before but I was listening to some of Athletico Mince. It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I got a few belly laughs out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

The Battersea Poltergeist is well produced and has kept my attention for the last few days, for something a bit different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Duplotastic

optogirl wrote: »
    ooh - will definitely check this out. Kids current favourites are Sean & Robot's Comedy Circuit & Story Pirates.

The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian was a big hit with my lads a little while back too.

The Alien Adventures of Finn Caspian was a big hit with my lads a little while back too.

Yes we all enjoyed that one too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Probably been recommended before but I was listening to some of Athletico Mince. It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I got a few belly laughs out of it.

If you like that check Bob Mortimer on Richard Herrings pod from a few years back.
    Great laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Slideways wrote: »
    Yet another crime podcast.

Red Handed.

First one I listened to was a 3 parter on Josef Frizl. Had forgotten just how much of a phucking bastard he was

Will give this a go. Looked through the Episode List there and downloaded a couple of familiar cases and a couple of ones new to me.

I find the girls from Red Handed a bit smug & annoying with their 'bants' and laughter when the subject matter is so serious. Much prefer a single narrator or use of actual interviews/police tapes etc.

Enjoyed a podcast called 'The Dream' about pyramid schemes/multi level marketing

Also enjoying 'The Apology Line'. Very interesting story about a journalist in NY who set up a phone line for people to call to confess to things they have done & never told anybody. Takes a mental turn.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    'I Spy' is a podcast series by Foreign Policy magazine. Each episode is an interview with a former spy - there is a good range there (DEA agent who was based in Colombia as part of the drug war, a German KGB agent who defected to America).

I recommend the interview with the Mossad agent who took part in a bungled assassination attempt in Jordan - really gripping.

This week's episode was about Willy Carlin, who was a spy for British intelligence high-up in Sinn Féin - very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Enjoyed Brian macdonald from Russia today on with eamon on the stand. Had gave up listening to the stand. Found eamon joining the rte spin on subjects. Brian gives a better view on what's going on in Russia today regarding a few different subject. Veey interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Probably already mentioned in the thread last year but I'm only catching up on these now:

"Land of the Giants" - interesting background and analysis and investigation into the growth and emergence of massive tech companies (Amazon, Netflix, Google).They have individual series (6-8 episodes) on each one

"Wind of Change" - a long winded but entertaining investigation into a theory that the CIA may have written the Scorpions hit song back in the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Cartman78 wrote: »

"Wind of Change" - a long winded but entertaining investigation into a theory that the CIA may have written the Scorpions hit song back in the 80's

Great, now I'm whistling.. thanks :pac::pac::pac:

Darknet Diaries

https://darknetdiaries.com/

Have only listened to a few but really interesting interviews recounting tales from Darknet Drug Vendors to Credit Card Scammers.

Pretty interesting and doesn't get too technical besides high-level explanations crucial to the piece.

• Advertisement

Episode 81: The Vendor is a good one to try first.

Episode 80: The Whistle-blower is also good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Guardian Today in Focus have a 5 part series on 5 fishermen who were jailed for trying to smuggle cocaine in the Isle of Wight but still maintain their innocence and have an appeal case coming up.

Listened to the first two episodes and it’s pretty interesting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Unraveled : Long Island Serial Killer

Its very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I just discovered the 'Modern Wisdom' podcast and it's actually quite interesting, a bit like Tim Ferris, various topics, there was an interesting episode on stoicism, loneliness, assisted dying, how not to be distracted at work, various personalities and philosophers are on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

https://youtu.be/vUHS9_ynSmA

Pure entertainment.

Pure entertainment.

Can't find that man funny anymore after seeing a friend completely brainwashed by his bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Pure entertainment.

Entertainment as parody or what? It was like listening to three teenage girls on Red Bull. I switched off when he got on to how the covid vaccine uses the same methodology as cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Out of the Blue

Transmissions The Definitive Story of Joy Division and New Order and The Invincibles: Park assassins are worth a listen for those who like a bit of history and music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

The Sure Thing by the Financial Review. 6 parter following the biggest case of insider trading in Australia. Well produced and simply told story.

• Advertisement

Slideways wrote: »
    The Sure Thing by the Financial Review. 6 parter following the biggest case of insider trading in Australia. Well produced and simply told story.

did check this out but there is literally nothing to the story really and could be told in 20 minutes total

I do have a particular dislike for when podcasts bring in psychologists to waffle and postulate on why a person said something or did something and for example going on about needs to be loved or to impress people etc - pure filler and uninteresting speculation.

Advertisement