Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man who knocked down burglar in court

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Robbery, extortion and hijacking offences in Ireland: 55.35 per 100,000
    Larceny-theft in the United States: 2,060.9 per 100,000

Both figures are for 2009. Data has slightly different titles, but measures pretty much the same thing.

Incarceration rate in Ireland: 95 per 100,000 (2011)
    Incarceration rate in the United States: 743 per 100,000 (2009)

Long prison sentences are really helping, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Maybe that scumbag will pay back his free legal fees with his windfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Thankfully there was a jury with a bit of cop on in Dundalk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,661 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Maybe that scumbag will pay back his free legal fees with his windfall.

I wonder if the same people here will agree with the justice system when the bankers walk free. or will it be different then?

If you followed the case, you would see the judge internvened in the charges twice, first he directed the jury on one charge to find him not guilty, and then when they couldn't agree on the second charge, he told them he would accept the majority. Had he not internvened there probably wouldn't have been a verdict yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

casandra wrote: »
    Not Guilty verdict, Thank God for a sensible jury, BURGLARS BEWARE !! Maybe the civil action can be revisited now - Precedent set ? -a victory for all decent law abiding people.

I sincerely hope not. This is exactly the kind of attitude we don't need.

Do we really want to live in a country where you can seriously injure or kill some-one and get away with it?

• Advertisement

Sign of the times.

I'm getting sick and tired of seeing this scum walking around like they own the place while the rest of us struggle to get by. They have everything they want for no effort, they'll happily tread on other people's toes to get their own way, but cry foul as soon as someone looks at them the wrong way.

There's no disincentive to committing crime. Slap on the hand, couple months behind bars in a medium security, maximum comfort prison. I know if i was one of these career criminals i'd be put off breaking into a house knowing that the owner was allowed to stick a knife in me than go to holiday camp prison for a few months.

Most of these morons only understand violence anyway.

You
    rang?

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I wonder if the same people here will agree with the justice system when the bankers walk free. or will it be different then?

If you followed the case, you would see the judge internvened in the charges twice, first he directed the jury on one charge to find him not guilty, and then when they couldn't agree on the second charge, he told them he would accept the majority. Had he not internvened there probably wouldn't have been a verdict yet.

What have bankers got to do with anything? Who awarded him the decision in the first place?

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    What have bankers got to do with anything?
    For me, I find the level of vitriol and plain hatred towards petty criminals and "scumbags" goes way, way beyond anything I've seen towards the people who actually, y'know, ruined this country.

Like, a "scumbag" will rob stuff out of your house, a banker robs your entire house. For all the harm done by petty crime, our national debt now stands at around €400,000 per person.

Although part of me does think it's kinda funny that a property developer can run a guy down with his Merc and be applauded for it, after everything that's happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For all "bankers" (I think the counter staff in TSB are lovely personally) have done, I know I never have to worry about waking up in the middle of the night and finding Sean Fitzpatrick holding a knife to my throat so he can borrow my car keys to take my car for a drive. For the victims, the toll scumbags inflict goes way beyond paying a few percent extra on one's tax bill.

benway wrote: »
    For me, I find the level of vitriol and plain hatred towards petty criminals and "scumbags" goes way, way beyond anything I've seen towards the people who actually, y'know, ruined this country.

Like, a "scumbag" will rob stuff out of your house, a banker robs your entire house. For all the harm done by petty crime, our national debt now stands at around €400,000 per person.

Although part of me does think it's kinda funny that a property developer can run a guy down with his Merc and be applauded for it, after everything that's happened.

The two are not mutually exclusive. One doesn't excuse the other so I fail to see how vilifying one does exactly that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

The banker is not in my bedroom with my kids asleep next door.He is someone I get to deal with in the cold light of day when I am wide awake..

Stark wrote: »
    For all "bankers" (I think the counter staff in TSB are lovely personally) have done, I know I never have to worry about waking up in the middle of the night and finding Sean Fitzpatrick holding a knife to my throat so he can borrow my car keys to take my car for a drive. For the victims, the toll scumbags inflict goes way beyond paying a few percent extra on one's tax bill.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. I will never resent the petty thieves and so-called "scumbags" as much as I resent the children of privilege who've bent us all over a barrel and are crudely a$$f*cking every single one of us. And having the cheek to make us buy our own KY. Funny that I apparently owe €400k personally after Celtic Tiger excesses ... don't ever recall it having been lodged to my account. In fact, it seems like plain larceny to me.

For the victims, whose best friends and children are forced to emigrate, who are forced into indignity, unemployment and punery, I'd say the toll is every bit as bad as anything your "scumbags" can manage, probably worse.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I will never resent the petty thieves and so-called "scumbags" as much as I resent the children of privilege who've bent us all over a barrel and are crudely a$$f*cking every single one of us. And having the cheek to make us buy our own KY. Funny that I apparently owe €400k personally after Celtic Tiger excesses ... don't ever recall it having been lodged to my account. In fact, it seems like plain larceny to me.

For the victims, whose best friends and children are forced to emigrate, who are forced into indignity, unemployment and punery, I'd say the toll is every bit as bad as anything your "scumbags" can manage, probably worse.
    Don't even know where you are going with this!.The amount stolen,the amount made by the VICTIM in whatever employment does not justify anyone breaking into his home while his family slept. His reaction would have nothing to do with whether the person invading his home was a "scumbag" or one of your best friends and children who are hard done by. Totally off the topic and back to the Woe is me that is so prevelent at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Delighted for the victim as in the householder.

jluv wrote: »
    Don't even know where you are going with this!
    Seems like.

I just find the level of bile against lower-class "scumbags" to be wildly disproportionate to the damage they do, by comparison with upper-class "scumbags". Seems to me that we're hating the wrong people.

Would people be a quarter as outraged by a story of yet another family losing their home through no real fault of their own? But you're right, off topic, neither time nor place - just the very idea of the developer being applauded for running a guy down in his Merc got me to thinking.

Hasten to add that I'm not suggesting for a second that McCaughey was ever involved in dirt or anything dodgy ...

Seems like.

I just find the level of bile against lower-class "scumbags" to be wildly disproportionate to the damage they do, by comparison with upper-class "scumbags". Seems to me that we're hating the wrong people.

Would people be a quarter as outraged by a story of yet another family losing their home through no real fault of their own? But you're right, off topic, neither time nor place - just the very idea of the developer being applauded for running a guy down in his Merc got me to thinking.

Hasten to add that I'm not suggesting for a second that McCaughey was ever involved in dirt or anything dodgy ...
    But we were only discussing the "scumbag" in relation to the case being debated. Another thread for the bankers yeah?....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I sincerely hope not. This is exactly the kind of attitude we don't need.

Do we really want to live in a country where you can seriously injure or kill some-one and get away with it?

not "someone" only people that break into your house

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

At least they had some common sense not to charge this man. I say a BIG fair play to him and if you are a criminal reading this, watch out cos I will run you the **** down if you come into my house. Might not be so lucky to survive tho. Lowlifes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Ace2007 wrote: »

A majority verdict only applies to a finding of guilty. It made no difference to finding him not guilty. A majority verdict simply means that 10 members are enough to convict rather than all members. Since there never was more than 10
    going to convict allowing a majority verdict made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

could he (the householder) now sue the scumbag for stress etc, given that he has had to pay the scum 175,000 in the other case??

I would hope so, and I would hope it would be a unanimous verdict for the householder

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Just seem the morning papers. Great news!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So the state sanctions the committal of violence on its citizens - sad sad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

greendom wrote: »
    So the state sanctions the committal of violence on its citizens - sad sad day.

Pfft, it sanctions the commital of a scumbag going into a persons house and BEDROOM WHILE THEY SLEEP and give him 175grand in damages! It was also mentioned he is a repeat offender ffs, how anyone can stand up for this guy is beyond me.

Aye he's a victim of the state alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dunny! wrote: »
    Pfft, it sanctions the commital of a scumbag going into a persons house and BEDROOM WHILE THEY SLEEP and give him 175grand in damages!

Aye he's a victim of the state alright.

Yes he's a low life and tbh I don't give a toss about him. It's the precedent that has been set that worries me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

greendom wrote: »
    Yes he's a low life and tbh I don't give a toss about him. It's the precedent that has been set that worries me.

IMO no precedent has been set, on the contrary it shows that you cant take the law into your own hands or you will/can be charged,The jury saw that this was a heat in the moment reaction and could understand and maybe relate to that.

On a different note that money the burglar got should not have been paid,To me its saying crime pays,what about the stress & fear to the householders wife & children in having the likes of that creeping around your bedrooms, will they be compensated ? :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Should the householder have pursued this muppet and run him down after said muppet had left the scene? No. IMHO he went wayyy over the line. Should said muppet get compensation? No, not beyond free medical care. Should this muppet have been on the streets after repeat offences like so many of these scumbags? No +1000. If we had something approaching a decent justice and rehab system in this country said scumbag would have been a lot less likely to have been in this guys house in the first place and wouldn't be walking with a limp today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

realies wrote: »
    IMO no precedent has been set, on the contrary it shows that you cant take the law into your own hands or you will/can be charged,The jury saw that this was a heat in the moment reaction and could understand and maybe relate to that.

On a different note that money the burglar got should not have been paid,To me its saying crime pays,what about the stress & fear to the householders wife & children in having the likes of that creeping around your bedrooms, will they be compensated ? :mad:

Delighted to see tis gent acquitted. I was astonished to learn that the burglar had won €170k in damages in a civil case.:eek: The law should be changed to allow the householder to counter sue for the trauma caused by this home invasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Seems like.

Excuse me? FFS.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Tigger wrote: »
    not "someone" only people that break into your house

Well you are of course entitled to your opinions but I don't see how maiming a criminal makes you any better than them.

• Advertisement

Well you are of course entitled to your opinions but I don't see how maiming a criminal makes you any better than them.

Don't you see?!

Working class idiot stuck in a perpetual state of no education and no hope in life; robs someone's house = scum who deserves to die.

Suit who runs over another person while blinded by vengeance = productive member of society who does not deserve to be charged, but instead needs a medal.

Advertisement