Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man who knocked down burglar in court

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭man.about.town

qc3 wrote: »
    The justice system does work, sometimes. Great verdict.:)

yes and no. the scum still got 175k

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭qc3

yes and no. the scum still got 175k

Hopefull Martin will start a civil case against him for the truama his family indured from the break in, gets a nice judge who will award him 175K.
    Happy Days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

qc3 wrote: »
    Hopefull Martin will start a civil case against him for the truama his family indured from the break in, gets a nice judge who will award him 175K.
    Happy Days.....

And how is that scumbag gonna pay out any award?

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    He had three kids in the house, I'm not at all surprised he saw red. I'll shake him by the hand if I ever meet him.
    who was looking after the 3 kids when he was away after the fella whos legs he broke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jacquesbernis

Bad day of verdicts for the scum.
    Still it will not make it any easier tomorrow morning when the alarm goes off and it's time to go to work to pay this reprobate his reward of 175,000 +++..awarded by my better on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just back down from the court. Martin is relieved and delighted. He is a decent man from a decent hard-working family. While I still don't agree with what he did that morning I am really delighted for him and his family. He provided a great number of jobs over the years and was very good to his workers who all stood by him.
    I am delighted he was acquitted.

the bolt wrote: »
    who was looking after the 3 kids when he was away after the fella whos legs he broke?

His wife. The neighbours she rang called round immediately too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

His wife. The neighbours she rang called round immediately too.

what happened in court? what was the outcome for both charges?

hondasam wrote: »
    what happened in court? what was the outcome for both charges?

1. Not guilty on direction of judge.
    2 Not guilty on majority verdict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

It's a pity the scumbag wasn't paralysed from the neck down - it'd be kinda hard to enjoy whatever compensation he'd get if all he could ever do was move his head from side to side as if at a tennis match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

1. Not guilty on direction of judge.
    2 Not guilty on majority verdict.

Out of curiosity has the burglar changed his ways or is he still involved in crime?

hondasam wrote: »
    Out of curiosity has the burglar changed his ways or is he still involved in crime?

Has not been caught for anything since but he now has money. Won't last too long though with his "lifestyle".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

While I accept that the homeowner used excessive force I cannot fathom the suspended sentence for the burglary. Is it a case of "the burglar has been punished enough by having his legs broken"?

People (especially the Gardai) are very fond of saying "you can't take the law into your own hands". If they truly believe that then they should disregard the contribution of the homeowner's actions towards the burglar's "punishment". Instead they should impose a meaningful jail sentence upon the baddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Lovely that cheered my day up. The scumbag bastard!

It was the judge in the court who gave him the suspended sentence not the gardai. The D.P.P. decided to prosecute the home owner after reading the papers sent by the gardai. I believe that's how it works. I think from looking at the scenes after the verdict the gardai were pleased with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Bad day of verdicts for the scum.
    Still it will not make it any easier tomorrow morning when the alarm goes off and it's time to go to work to pay this reprobate his reward of 175,000 +++..awarded by my better on my behalf.

Was it you?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 casandra

Not Guilty verdict, Thank God for a sensible jury, BURGLARS BEWARE !! Maybe the civil action can be revisited now - Precedent set ? -a victory for all decent law abiding people.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭EASYNEWS

Justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

gigino wrote: »
    this is a S*** country.

Scumbags like that burgular contribute nothing to society.

Unfortunatly as has been pointed out here before, scumbags do in fact contribute alot to the wages of those in the legal profession. It is in their interests (Solicitor/barristers and judges alike) to see that scumbags are released to re-offend. They could easily lock up anyone with over 3 serious convictions for a long long time, but then they would have no clients claiming free legal aid because the scumbags are on the dole. The 'free' legal aid is not free, its paid by the taxpayers, just as the dole is paid to these scumbags who will never work a day in their lives.

It's the money merry-go-round and everybody wins except the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

I really think it's time that homeowners organised themselves into a recognisable national lobby to have the Law tilted back in favour of the victim of crime, currently homeowners still run the risk of running foul of legislation such as Occupiers Liability, Non-Fatal Offences, etc.
    *ahem* :rolleyes:

Surprised at the verdict, would've thought a conviction and probation or suspended sentence was most likely ... no accounting for a jury of peers. He was hardly ever likely to see the inside of a prison anyway, but sure that's all fine wines, tiddleywinks and brushing up on your French between slopping out, he probably would've enjoyed the break.

Curious as to why the reckless endangerment charge wasn't sent to the jury, will be interesting to see whether the state appeals.
    Has not been caught for anything since but he now has money. Won't last too long though with his "lifestyle".
    You're just pulling this out of your a$$, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

benway wrote: »

What ??

Why would he need to do this?

I don't know tayto lover, but if you bothered to read the thread it is fairly apparent that he knows both the victim(i.e the householder) and the scumbag in this case.Do you ?

Surprised at the verdict, would've thought a conviction and probation or suspended sentence was most likely ... no accounting for a jury of peers. He was hardly ever likely to see the inside of a prison anyway, but sure that's all fine wines, tiddleywinks and brushing up on your French between slopping out, he probably would've enjoyed the break.

Curious as to why the reckless endangerment charge wasn't sent to the jury, will be interesting to see whether the state appeals.

No. Watch this space. I know him well enough. He will re-appear in time. Leopards and spots like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

That's good news. now it's time to see whether this man want's to counter-sue the scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

No. Watch this space. I know him well enough. He will re-appear in time. Leopards and spots like.
    Fair enough, just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Surprised at the verdict, would've thought a conviction and probation or suspended sentence was most likely ... no accounting for a jury of peers.

I was a bit surprised too but from the rte article, it sounds like the defense barrister did a good job of casting doubt on the reliability of the witnesses, one of whom said the defendant was drunk but couldnt explain why he didnt say that to the gardai at the time. The cctv also showed the burglar was in the house longer than he had said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

Of course, three strikes worked so well in the States that their crime rates are still exponentially higher than ours? Murder rate is a couple of thousand times higher?

2 points

*There are over 313022060 people in the USA,
    There are only 4581269 in the Republic of Ireland.

* They sell guns in corner shops in the US, They don't in Ireland.

Maybe these facts have something to do with the much higher murder rates in USA?

Just a thought.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 zeds dead

He was an idiot to go after the burglar. Why? Because he's now on trial for it and stands to be punished more severely than the burglar himself. It doesn't matter if people agree with it or not, that's the law. You're allowed to protect yourself and your home, but chasing and driving over somebody twice is plain fcuking stupid when you know you're going to be done for it.

Well...maybe then if the idiot as you call him said he too was also drunk, and that was why he hit him twice, then he surly would get away with it....oh no wait..the idiot was a honest decent chap who had scum bag invade his property and reacted on anger as most normal people would do.....but you see this man as an idiot and fcuking stupid....pot calling the kettle black here!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Do you have any proof of this or are you making up more "facts".

I never stated anything as fact but thanks for more passive agressive drivel.

As I said in my previous posts the Irish Times reported that when the gardai arrived the guys shin bone was broken through the skin ergo scars :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

typical, you believe the scum, whats wrong with you??? what about the other witness who said he was making tea and saw the whole thing, said it was an accident, he was trying to block him, after he knocked him down he looked distraught and non threatening?

Nothing wrong with me at all thanks!

Read the article I linked to and you'll see.

I repeat, ramming some-one twice with a vehicle and threatening to kill the person if they move goes beyond self defense or defense of your home and loved ones.

Advertisement