Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Informal Hill Climb TT - Ticknock Sunday 24 February

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

CramCycle wrote: »
    You may be angry, and it is undoubtedly in most scenarios a non issue but the truth of the matter is the clubs name is attached, it is an event, and if someone hurt themselves taking part in it, there is a limited but nonetheless potential risk they would point the finger at the organiser. Realistically, this will never happen but once you put the clubs name to it, you have to be wary that there are a number of legal scumbags that fester in modern society who'd be willing to sue Coillte for falling on a wooden path for 60k for a sprained ankle, you can be sure there is a small but nonetheless real risk some prick would take DUCC to task over it. I mean, they wouldn't get anything out of it but they might chance their arm.

I wouldn't, if I fell, it would be my own fault but there a number of people who are not as normal as you or I.

And also, like I said, it is so unlikely, it probably was not worth mentioning it.

I think you have a good point - unfortunately the way things are, if the club does attach it's name to an event, even if it's explicitly informal and the like, then there's no stopping some parasite from trying to sue if they fall or whatever. As you said, if someone is willing to do it to the national parks service because they tripped on a wooden path, then the sky is the limit.
    It's a sorry situation we live in, but I appreciate where you are coming from. As was said, it's highly unlikely that such a thing would occur, but you can never be too certain. That wouldn't stop me from running events, just make me more careful about the organisation and who it's open to.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think you have a good point - unfortunately the way things are, if the club does attach it's name to an event, even if it's explicitly informal and the like, then there's no stopping some parasite from trying to sue if they fall or whatever. As you said, if someone is willing to do it to the national parks service because they tripped on a wooden path, then the sky is the limit.
    It's a sorry situation we live in, but I appreciate where you are coming from. As was said, it's highly unlikely that such a thing would occur, but you can never be too certain. That wouldn't stop me from running events, just make me more careful about the organisation and who it's open to.
    Its a sad day, all Craic must be preplanned and insured.
    On the same note, if you put it as an intro spin, tell everyone they have to wear helmets, then your CI cover would be fine, just have to take names. This is great because if you don't take names then they were not part of the spin and therefore on their own if they mess up.

Are ye thinking of setting up the college league again, that was good craic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

route66 wrote: »
    If you meet your friends for a few pints - something that could be described as an "informal, just-for-fun event." - would you look for compo if you drank too much and tripped over?
    the situation you describe is one where insurance simply doesn't enter into it (unless you can draw on your own private health insurance).

the event here would be an organised event (putting a call out on social media would push it into the 'organised event' category, especially since it was mentioned as being organised by a cycling club), and other posters here have talked about knowing that coillte monitor social media for potential issues.
    if a walker was injured, you can be guaranteed that if the walker went after coillte for damages, coillte would either go after the club to recoup the damages, or just point the walker at the club and tell them to (pun intended) knock themselves out.

i know of a case not too dissimilar from this at all where this has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Anyway...who is going to join DUCC to help the club grow?? :D

Anyway...who is going to join DUCC to help the club grow?? :D

Goldsprints in the Pav, mandatory joining fee to compete, slab of Bavaria for the winner, job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

CramCycle wrote: »
    Goldsprints in the Pav, mandatory joining fee to compete, slab of Bavaria for the winner, job done.

I'm sure Sunsets On Tuesday will sign you up as a member for volunteering to sponsor the prize! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

the situation you describe is one where insurance simply doesn't enter into it (unless you can draw on your own private health insurance).

the event here would be an organised event (putting a call out on social media would push it into the 'organised event' category, especially since it was mentioned as being organised by a cycling club), and other posters here have talked about knowing that coillte monitor social media for potential issues.
    if a walker was injured, you can be guaranteed that if the walker went after coillte for damages, coillte would either go after the club to recoup the damages, or just point the walker at the club and tell them to (pun intended) knock themselves out.

i know of a case not too dissimilar from this at all where this has happened.

Just as well then - and let the record state - that there is no formal, or organised event taking place. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Don’t forget the podium and bubbly.

It has gotten ridiculous!

What about the podium girls???

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Its "podium people" now

• Advertisement

route66 wrote: »
    Just as well then - and let the record state - that there is no formal, or organised event taking place. :(

There is a formal Friday night Fixed gear climb, online entries only. No entries on the line. Winner get there money back. if your interested, drop me a PM and I will send you my Western Union details :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A weekly/monthly boards hill tt would be cool - just pick a segment on strava and a day, and let everyone go at it at their own time/pace. Results can be filtered down thru a private strava group/club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

10:41 earlier tonight.
    A nice Northerly wind would be a big help for ye on Sunday

Peterx wrote: »
    10:41 earlier tonight.
    A nice Northerly wind would be a big help for ye on Sunday

Nice one, good time! That would be nice..

I'm out with times like that going up so early :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I was up in Ticknock this morning and had a go at this segment.

Just so you's know, no Grannies with shopping trolleys were knocked down.
    No sleeping Puppies were woken up
    and no mating Deer were disturbed ;)

I only got some nice hello's from the few walkers i came across who moved out of my way long before i got to them because they could hear me panting like a dog going up the hill.

Anyway, i done it in 8.11 and i'm happy with that considering it was a good solid head wind for most of the segment.
    I think i went out a bit fast but it was my first proper climbing effort since October so you always forget how to pace properly.

I was also lucky that i was recording on my IPhone as my Garmin gave me a time of 11.30 because it never registered when the segment ended until i came back through it,maybe it lost signal.
    Another one up for the Strava app over a Garmin.
    Make sure if you are doing this segment that you go all the way onto the gravel at the end,if you are using a Garmin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2164520698/segments/54582680376

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

8'11. I've never been to ticknock, but I assume I wouldn't come close to that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My current record time is soooo much slower than all those being posted here :(

Dont think we can all aim to be 24th out of 1700+!!!

Are those damn speed bumps still there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Still there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I was up in Ticknock this morning and had a go at this segment.

Just so you's know, no Grannies with shopping trolleys were knocked down.
    No sleeping Puppies were woken up
    and no mating Deer were disturbed ;)

I only got some nice hello's from the few walkers i came across who moved out of my way long before i got to them because they could hear me panting like a dog going up the hill.

Anyway, i done it in 8.11 and i'm happy with that considering it was a good solid head wind for most of the segment.
    I think i went out a bit fast but it was my first proper climbing effort since October so you always forget how to pace properly.
    I was also lucky that i was recording on my IPhone as my Garmin gave me a time of 11.30 because it never registered when the segment ended until i came back through it,maybe it lost signal.
    Another one up for the Strava app over a Garmin.
    Make sure if you are doing this segment that you go all the way onto the gravel at the end,if you are using a Garmin.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2164520698/segments/54582680376

:eek: So thats why my times are so slow...........

Em, yes, me too, that is why they are so slow :cool:

Id have to insist on weight category's if I was to take part in an informal TT over the weekend.

Category 1...
    Jockeys,
    Irishrover99

Category 2
    Retired jockeys,

Id have to insist on weight category's if I was to take part in an informal TT over the weekend.

Category 1...
    Jockeys,
    Irishrover99

Category 2
    Retired jockeys,

Category 3
    Just happy to make it up in February

:D
    Can we add an informal downhill event just to make things interesting...

Category 4...
    Injured retired Jockeys...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2166744726/segments/54645482078

I've uploaded the Garmin file from yesterday now and ill delete it later.
    When i got back yesterday and seen it i knew i wasn't that slow and something had to have been wrong so luckily i had my Iphone.

Category 1...
    Jockeys,
    Irishrover99

Category 2
    Retired jockeys,

39 year old near alcoholic jockey ;);)

Anyway, those whipper snappers on Sunday should beat that time of mine.

Cant imagine my time is good but I made it

Weepsie wrote: »
    Cant imagine my time is good but I made it

I went half way up earlier this morning and the wind was stronger than yesterday.
    What did you think of the climb?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

When i got back yesterday and seen it i knew i wasn't that slow and something had to have been wrong so luckily i had my Iphone.

Fastest time this year thus far :) kudos Km

• Advertisement

Im taking a break from social media...I had someone text me asking if i had passed away they had seen nothing on Strava..:D

You mean you checked and seen I was beating you uphill more like!!! ;)
    I'm liking that new category just have to split it into weight and year born...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Im taking a break from social media...I had someone text me asking if i had passed away they had seen nothing on Strava..:D

If it's not on Strava you didn't do it. :eek:

I went half way up earlier this morning and the wind was stronger than yesterday.
    What did you think of the climb?.

Having never been there I thought I was lost, then thought I'd missed the start at biking.ie and realised it was the next barrier.

First part was grand, middle bit not as good and I hated it.

Did it in 11.35, think I could knock a minute off that on a different bike. Had the commuter with dynamo so I'm going to use that as an excuse. Probably has the worst gears for hills of my bikes too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2167079691/segments/54653291117

Did it this morning, 12:39 - there's your bottom line!!

Headwind from the south today is a killer

Checked my bike last night and the left crank was loose. Tis a megaexo stages that I just installed so probably didn't torque it enough, but thankfully it didn't happen on ticknock.

The stages itself is not working though. It was giving me mad high readings as I coasted towards rathmines too, so my ticknock struggles maybe killed it

Hope it's not one with the plastic shim, utter trash.

Pootled up today, think 9 mins is totally possible for my spindly legs.

I too was up there today on the mountain bike.

I put some logs at the side of the road about where the segment starts, and I put a big line with a mount of rocks by the end on the gravel. As Irishrover said, do the last little bit (10metres) on the gravel to ensure you get a good run.

I'll be there around 8:30 and some of the guys & gals from the club will be there at that time too. Come between then and 9:30 if you'd like some encouragement!

Looking forward to it now - remember that the café won't be open at that time, that we won't be able to provide people with anything etc. etc.

Be safe, it's just for fun in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I was just about to leave when I thought: is the heating off? It wasn't so chilly in the house last night... Quick check - 38C fever...

I'm off but have a lot of fun and suffering guys

Alek wrote: »
    I was just about to leave when I thought: is the heating off? It wasn't so chilly in the house last night... Quick check - 38C fever...

I'm off but have a lot of fun and suffering guys

The thoughts of getting out of bed on a Sunday morning for a hill climb would also give me a fever😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

Had a go earlier on just for fun and to see how I compare to "proper cyclists"! 10:52. Doesn't help having all that climbing just to get to the start of the thing!!!!

Did it after the club spin, bad plan. Thanks for the chalk though.

Only 13 attempts on Strava, did nobody show? :pac:

ED E wrote: »
    Did it after the club spin, bad plan. Thanks for the chalk though.

Only 13 attempts on Strava, did nobody show? :pac:

I thought the chalk would make it more proper - glad to hear it survived for a few hours anyways!

Unfortunately in the end not too many people showed in the end - it was only just past silly o clock for a Sunday morning but it was a beautiful morning!

I got in at 8mins dead in the end - quite happy with that. My fellow committee member Sean was in at 8:03 - so I (narrowly) got the bragging rights.

It's looking like the winner will be our resident club speedster Matthieu from Lyon. He did it in 7:25 - which is the 6 fastest time ever!

Check https://www.strava.com/segments/8125228?filter=overall
    for the leaderboard and toggle to "today" (or "this week" to include the people who did it before today).

Thanks to those who gave it a go, hopefully we'll have more the next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I thought the chalk would make it more proper - glad to hear it survived for a few hours anyways!

Unfortunately in the end not too many people showed in the end - it was only just past silly o clock for a Sunday morning but it was a beautiful morning!

I got in at 8mins dead in the end - quite happy with that. My fellow committee member Sean was in at 8:03 - so I (narrowly) got the bragging rights.

It's looking like the winner will be our resident club speedster Matthieu from Lyon. He did it in 7:25 - which is the 6 fastest time ever!

Check https://www.strava.com/segments/8125228?filter=overall
    for the leaderboard and toggle to "today" (or "this week" to include the people who did it before today).

Thanks to those who gave it a go, hopefully we'll have more the next time!

So hundreds of people didn't arrive, shut down the road... shout at walkers and knock down children? :eek:

Who would have guessed an informal gathering of people could go so smoothly

mloc123 wrote: »
    So hundreds of people didn't arrive, shut down the road... shout at walkers and knock down children? :eek:

Who would have guessed an informal gathering of people could go so smoothly

Haha indeed. It did make this thread a bit more interesting, albeit frustrating at times for myself :')

Stages (well Saddleback) have said the 4092 error means my stages is useless. Ticknock killed it. Well played Ticknock, well played.

• Advertisement

Gave this another go this Morning because the wind was not as strong as last week.
    Glorious Weather and i had to stop before the start of the segment and take off my leg warmers, don't know why i wore them in the first place.

Got my time down to 7'53 which is a new PR for me although i still think i can knock a bit of that.
    The 6 cans of Galahad i drank last night did not appreciate the effort though.

Again my Garmin gave me a time of 12'24 so i think my Garmin is losing signal up there.

Injured at present so trying to keep out of the hills will give it a go at some stage but based on my time from last week Ive no need to go public...
    :)

Gave this another go this Morning because the wind was not as strong as last week.
    Glorious Weather and i had to stop before the start of the segment and take off my leg warmers, don't know why i wore them in the first place.

Got my time down to 7'53 which is a new PR for me although i still think i can knock a bit of that.
    The 6 cans of Galahad i drank last night did not appreciate the effort though.

Again my Garmin gave me a time of 12'24 so i think my Garmin is losing signal up there.

Must try that rocket fuel Irishrover :eek::cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    Stages (well Saddleback) have said the 4092 error means my stages is useless. Ticknock killed it. Well played Ticknock, well played.
    see what i said about insurance? now you can sue Sunsets on Tuesday for the cost of your broken equipment. and for mental anguish too, probably.

"Garmin time of 11:46" last night with the wind at my back, front, side, hail, rain, two creaking knees, chased by a dog and watching for falling trees!
    :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement