Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get Netflix cheaper - SEE OP FOR DETAILS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

No sorry should have added 100% used VPN.

Minutes before i was in Argentina updating my YouTube premium details 😂 🛩️

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well a payment just went through on my new revolut card so it obviously has been accepted. One thing though the cost has gone up this month and is now more than double than I was paying 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Cost has gone up everywhere. It's still under a fiver a month

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

Eventually got this sorted.

Using the VPN is essential otherwise they obviously pick up that you are not located in the jurisdiction you are subscribing to and keep pushing you back to the online account update option and the dreaded SMS verification using a turkish mobile.

The VPN didn't seem to want to connect properly on my home network - I am using a DECO mesh system which must have something to do with it. I'd need to be a network engineer to be able to figure that one out!!

Anyway I went to a relatives house and went online - set up the VPN to Turkey and logged in to Netflix, went to chat and asked for the in-chat payment option. It took a bit of back and forth with the chat agent to get the steps finalised but eventually got there. Agent was very helpful and it was straighforward enough. I should be OK with this card hopefully until its expiry in 2027 so that will keep the family off my back till then. I hardly ever take the time to watch Netflix myself

Many thanks to all the contributors on here and to stdidit in particular for the help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Glad you got sorted arrowman & good to know about the VPN being essential :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It seems to be hit and miss. I just changed my card details without a VPN and it went through straight away. No messing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Thanks for the summary. That worked perfectly for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Is it any help or a hindrance to add an Irish recovery phone number to your account prior to trying to update/add card details? My Revolut is a month away from expiring and I never added a recovery phone number when I first set up the Netflix account in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Chat option is the way to go :)

As per post from bazwraf, went on to the chat while connected to Turkish VPN, and said "I want to update my payment option" - had a number of questions, like what type of card it was, last 4 digits - they sent me an email which was just a link to access your account to update the payment option - I told them it still didnt work, and they sent the fabled payment details form within the chat - seems this is a way for them to insert the details manually on their end. After a minute or two the test transaction went through, and they said it was all updated :)

Playing dumb to get that in chat payment form seems like the golden ticket.

Revolut card I added has a 2027 expiry so hopefully sorted for a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

Just done updated cards via the chat option, once for myself and another time for a friend.

First lad just asked for my email address and sent the form, second asked for email, name, date account was set up, current payment method and then asked for a security code - he noted the code was to confirm my location, not sure if it was but had VPN for Turkey either way.

thanks for sharing the chat option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Darby_321

I added my irish number and it worked after that doing the chat option but I think this may be just a coincidence. Not sure if other people had anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭redunited

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

What is the reason in the OP to set up an Irish account first then use vpn to Turkey for payment option. Will it work to just set my vpn to Turkey from the get go and sign up that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Fair play. My Revolut card is about to expire, used your steps, and now I should be good for another 5 years 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I'm presuming it's so you can continue with an Irish version of Netflix as opposed to have a Turkish version

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Another voucher option here 75TL cost me 4.68+ service fee of 14TL/80c for 2 months of netflix/2screen basic https://www.ronesansmarkt.com/NetflixGiftCards paid by revolut

I set it up for a family member so when it asked for a turkish number to verify it just seemed easier to go down this route especially

so if you have a family member who only knows how to turn on a tv.

For around 2.50 a month v 14.99 it's sweet knowing you're saving someone money (or in my case just paying a little extra)

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

My Revolut card is due to expire in July; whats the best alternative as when trying to add my new card it's asking me for a Turkish phone number to verify the account?

[edit] just seeing https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119122695/#Comment_119122695 now and will try this option

[edit #2] worked perfectly - did ask for a phone number but I pointed out that I had a (irish) number already linked to my account; they launched the payment form within the chat window and took my new Revolut details; saw a 1e charge come through and revert on my revolut straight away. Payment details now updated with my new card...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭irishgeo

so I cancel my Irish sub today, I have a revolut card.

what's the next step, wait one month and try the Turkish option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You should prob state "VPN geolocked access" as regular access is no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

One question here — did you have an active subscription elsewhere or did you have to let you current Netflix subscription expire?

It was a while ago since I did the initial part, I think the OP has good information on what to do, but I think I did the following:

I cancelled my existing Netflix subscription, so that I had a few days left, already paid for.

When my subscription expired, I signed out of my Netflix account.

I then opened a new incognito window, and vpn'd to Turkey, and went to Netflix.com and renewed my account

At that point, I dont think I was able to setup payment via my new card, so I recommend having your card all setup before cancelling your subscription

Ya, the key thing originally was to have an Irish sub with the payment method you plan to use already all set up. Once it's all working, cancel the Irish sub, wait for it to expire and then travel to Turkey and set it back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

Anyone also tried the chat payment option and failed?

I tried it, unsuccessfully, as the agent said my payment was declined by the system..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭pah

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cyborg

Chat option failed for me, all my cards declined

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Xcellor

OP here. Had to go through this process again due to revolut changing my card. The trick is to get the agent to send you to a "special" payment screen.

i was getting "There appears to be a problem with the payment method you are trying to use."

Then the agent sent a different payment screen and I reentered and it went through fine.

My tip on getting the agent to give you the screen: act like a complete idiot who doesn't know how the Internet works.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

It is strange why it works for some people and not for others.

I also got this 'special payment screen' within the chat (after some 'negotiation' though, the agent was claiming it is only for credit cards, not debit), entered the details and then after a few seconds the agent said it was declined..

Unless there is another 'special' screen that the agent can also send?

(I used wind-scribe vpn)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭xtal191

Advertisement