Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I couldn't bid at them such is ringside politics.. Game of thrones has nothing on it! Really good square friesians yearlings are bringing 2 eur a kg but tis surprising what you'd pick up ��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Willfarman wrote: »
    I couldn't bid at them such is ringside politics.. Game of thrones has nothing on it! Really good square friesians yearlings are bringing 2 eur a kg but tis surprising what you'd pick up ��

That's too dear . best time is late lots when the truckers have made their quota for the day. Ya can't be buying friesians too dear as they will be hit the most in a drop of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

BB X Sm bull dob Jan2009 1070kg made €2520.

Muckit wrote: »
    BB X Sm bull dob Jan2009 1070kg made €2520.

Was he bought for beef or breeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Neither. Bought as a pet.

Not being smart, but how the f**k would l know!! If I had him and cows good enough, l'd be breeding from him. Best bull l've seen in a long time. Very correct in the feet and great width every which way.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Neither. Bought as a pet.

Not being smart, but how the f**k would l know!! If I had him and cows good enough, l'd be breeding from him. Best bull l've seen in a long time. Very correct in the feet and great width every which way.

Expensive pet

Thought he was your own amimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

^
    Had one with same breeding that bulled a few heifers when he was ten months old. Best ppkg calves we had the following year! The sim gave them height and length and the blue gave the muscle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

I presume this fella is on drugs and no one would pay anywhere near €1050 for these kinda cattle:

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/14-lovely-herdford-bullucks/9469879?offset=13

These would be my sort of cattle if I wasn't already stocked up. Seem very reasonably priced.

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/12-bullocks-for-sale/9468153?offset=3

These look like great friesians for their age. Would you buy Pudsey?

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/6-friesian-bullockand-1-aax/9466536?offset=6

AP2014 wrote: »
    I presume this fella is on drugs and no one would pay anywhere near €1050 for these kinda cattle:

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/14-lovely-herdford-bullucks/9469879?offset=13

These would be my sort of cattle if I wasn't already stocked up. Seem very reasonably priced.

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/12-bullocks-for-sale/9468153?offset=3

These look like great friesians for their age. Would you buy Pudsey?

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/6-friesian-bullockand-1-aax/9466536?offset=6

At the present mart trade you could see anything getting any amount of money. Marts are small and full of farmer buyers. Big square well fleshed 2013 friesians 680kg unsold at 1270 in kilkenny yesterday .yet stores same age 530kgs bringing 1180. The factory buys with pennies. The farmer buys with pounds. But yes there's apparent value in two of those ads in fairness. Roscommon man is a dealer I'd say though.

At the present mart trade you could see anything getting any amount of money. Marts are small and full of farmer buyers. Big square well fleshed 2013 friesians 680kg unsold at 1270 in kilkenny yesterday .yet stores same age 530kgs bringing 1180. The factory buys with pennies. The farmer buys with pounds. But yes there's apparent value in two of those ads in fairness. Roscommon man is a dealer I'd say though.

I bought ones like the Roscommon lads there for €800 in March, not great quality. Had the vet TB testing 2 weeks ago and he said I would be giving €950 for them then, 6 weeks later. Madness.

Hopefully the craziness lasts until November, March and November are the two months prices matter to me.

• Advertisement

I bought ones like the Roscommon lads there for €800 in March, not great quality. Had the vet TB testing 2 weeks ago and he said I would be giving €950 for them then, 6 weeks later. Madness.

Hopefully the craziness lasts until November, March and November are the two months prices matter to me.

I think it will be a lot dearer this November than last anyway that's all I can say. 2014 bullocks are genuinely scarce I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I think it will be a lot dearer this November than last anyway that's all I can say. 2014 bullocks are genuinely scarce I think.

Bullock kill is up 16% compared to this time last year. There was 100K more cattle that age around last year. 2-3 year old cattle will get very scarse as the year goes on. The kill is very high considering the cow kill is way down by 33% and bulls 50% year to date.

Bullock kill is up 16% compared to this time last year. There was 100K more cattle that age around last year. 2-3 year old cattle will get very scarse as the year goes on. The kill is very high considering the cow kill is way down by 33% and bulls 50% year to date.

I have 5 or 6 to squeeze yet, would I be as well off leave them? Would they be hard sold in November?

A lot more customers for bullocks usually.

Hopefully anyway. There is still some value to be got but it's more to do with luck than trend. The big glut or reared calves this year due to the quota wasn't as big as forecasted either.

Hopefully anyway. There is still some value to be got but it's more to do with luck than trend. The big glut or reared calves this year due to the quota wasn't as big as forecasted either.

there was still 100K more calves born than last year. As well exports are back about 30K I think. 2017 is looking fairly sh!tty

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Hershall

there was still 100K more calves born than last year. As well exports are back about 30K I think. 2017 is looking fairly sh!tty

Id say last year was mild compared to what factories will do in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

What is the trade like for heavy weanling bulls (>400kg)? Don't be at too many marts but see on journal heavy lads seem to be better value per kg than lighter ones. Would buying these type to kill this time next year leave a few pound?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    What is the trade like for heavy weanling bulls (>400kg)? Don't be at too many marts but see on journal heavy lads seem to be better value per kg than lighter ones. Would buying these type to kill this time next year leave a few pound?

Any animal will leave a few pounds or even euro's provided you do not pay too much for them.

The good qaulity Bulls would be a good punt if you have finances and facilities. They wouldn't have near the lift in price that the plainer middle of the road Bulls have got. 350kg at 1000 be potentially 470kg carcass Bulls worth 2000 this time next year. Qaulity and age are of upmost importance.

• Advertisement

The good qaulity Bulls would be a good punt if you have finances and facilities. They wouldn't have near the lift in price that the plainer middle of the road Bulls have got. 350kg at 1100 be potentially 470kg carcass Bulls worth 2000 this time next year. Qaulity and age are of upmost importance.

Do not think you would be paying much more (if anything) for a bull a 100kgs heavier. I be more inclined to buy them and finish for Dec/Jan. A bull killing 470kgs will be near enough or over 800kgs LW. Yoyu have to put 450+kgs LW on them. Price for Dec/Jan are often as good as May price. Bull may only kill 400 kgs but you are only putting on 250kgs. Always found that the most money out of shed cattle was made on Dec/Jan Cattle.

Do not think you would be paying much more (if anything) for a bull a 100kgs heavier. I be more inclined to buy them and finish for Dec/Jan. A bull killing 470kgs will be near enough or over 800kgs LW. Yoyu have to put 450+kgs LW on them. Price for Dec/Jan are often as good as May price. Bull may only kill 400 kgs but you are only putting on 250kgs. Always found that the most money out of shed cattle was made on Dec/Jan Cattle.

Hard to graze them big boys though and near impossible to buy them and group them without em murdering one another. The boys that you can graze till September put up a Lor o weight very cheap. I seen Bulls under 16 mths dying o 450 to 490 kg deadweight. Homebred lims out of humongous char and lim cows but you would pick up similar qaulity in marts.

But i do agree that dec jan cattle leave the most money a lot of years

I will try note a few prices in mart today if the type are in it and be interesting get you to do up detailed budget see would they work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I will try note a few prices in mart today if the type are in it and be interesting get you to do up detailed budget see would they work out.
    Would be interested in what yourself or Pudsey would estimate it would cost to carry the heavier lads to finish and would there be a margin. Was thinking of chancing a dozen or so of them to see how they would fare out. Usually keep bucket reared stock here so wouldn't know what sort of weight gain I could get off these over a year.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Would be interested in what yourself or Pudsey would estimate it would cost to carry the heavier lads to finish and would there be a margin. Was thinking of chancing a dozen or so of them to see how they would fare out. Usually keep bucket reared stock here so wouldn't know what sort of weight gain I could get off these over a year.

It all depends on what you pay for ration and how you value silage. You would have to try to buy them as a bunch off the land or over one day in a mart as they can be less likly to fight after a spin. If bought 1st june 120 days at grass at 50c/day. 120 kgs of ration over last 6 weeks at grass. Housed October 1st. 110 day to finish feeding ad lib good silage and 1.2 tons of ration. Dosing, mart, factory fees, vet, possible losses(15-20/head average) transport. around 450 euro.

April 13 decant red lim Bulls 6 of. Sold singly. 435kg to 455kg one buyer from Midlands factory. 1050ish one with the other. Only comparable smaller Bulls belonged to a dealer. Top qaulity charolais. Certain u grade Imo. October 14 born. 310 kgGroup of 6 in his herd 4 days all out of same herd. Unsold but was trying to find a victim at 920+.. If you could buy them where he bought them!!

The heavier lads would have to come off grass early September at latest unless you meet an extremely dry time and meal feed them meal outdoors. A formidable task. 100 days grass. €50. Transport commission and a dose €25. 3 months good silage and avg 7kg meal @ €2.20 a day.€200. 70 days intensive meal @ 3.75 day €262. Won't talk about broken legs pissers or losses!! € 537+ cost€1050 stand you € 1587

750kgs live weight? Kill out at 57% 430kgs carcass early February. 4.20€ a kg be €1800ish.

Yearling bullocks returned to mart in autumn leave the same turn minus the hassle??

The heavier lads would have to come off grass early September at latest unless you meet an extremely dry time and meal feed them meal outdoors. A formidable task. 100 days grass. €50. Transport commission and a dose €25. 3 months good silage and avg 7kg meal @ €2.20 a day.€200. 70 days intensive meal @ 3.75 day €262. Won't talk about broken legs pissers or losses!! € 537+ cost€1050 stand you € 1587

750kgs live weight? Kill out at 57% 430kgs carcass early February. 4.20€ a kg be €1800ish.

Yearling bullocks returned to mart in autumn leave the same turn minus the hassle??

I'll let ya know in November. I have 20 bought at €800 and 5 at €850. Took me a while to get them and few very average ones.

I'll let ya know in November. I have 20 bought at €800 and 5 at €850. Took me a while to get them and few very average ones.

What weights?

• Advertisement

What weights?

Don't have exact weights but they were very light bullocks around 280kg...5 were around the 320kg and cost the 850. All very average cattle.

Advertisement