Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs being stolen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

daheff wrote: »
    can't say I've heard of abortion on demand for dogs (or cats). More usual for unwanted pups/kittens to have ended up in a sack in the river.

If your dog is accidentally mated you can get an injection that will bring her back into season and end the pregnancy.
    I've even seen dogs spayed while pregnant, again ending the pregnancy but this wouldn't be as common.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Only a change in the law will lessen the thefts.

And finally one politician is looking at doing something.

Hopefully he brings the legislation and no one opposes it.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/demand-to-make-stealing-a-dog-more-serious-than-property-theft-39384211.html
    I would like some sort of additional regulation that selling any type of animal via any form of advertising would require the publication / website to obtain the same level of identity that is required by banks - passport and two official documents with address.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Darc19 wrote: »
    Only a change in the law will lessen the thefts.

And finally one politician is looking at doing something.

Hopefully he brings the legislation and no one opposes it.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/demand-to-make-stealing-a-dog-more-serious-than-property-theft-39384211.html
    I would like some sort of additional regulation that selling any type of animal via any form of advertising would require the publication / website to obtain the same level of identity that is required by banks - passport and two official documents with address.

Ah they will of course oppose it. $$$ money talks. Look at greyhound vote and how many supported it. You’d be better off advertising on happy meals to get the message across in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭anewme

2 batches of stolen dogs recovered today.

Two stolen dogs in a horsebox in Offaly( stoorn together shd reunited) , and 5 in the back of a Northern Ireland reg van in Waterford ( one already united).

Despite being caught with stolen dogs, there is no mention of any arrests in either case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,040 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

anewme wrote: »
    2 batches of stolen recovered today.

Two stolen dogs in a horsebox in Offaly( stoorn together shd reunited) , and 5 in the back of a Northern Ireland reg van in Waterford ( one already united).

Despite being caught with stolen dogs, there is no mention of any arrests in either case.

Can I ask where you heard this information? I didn't hear it in the news.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No it certainly hasn’t led to lower standards. When you purchase a dog from a reputable breeder you specify that you want a pet. Pet quality dogs are not suitable to breed from for a variety of reasons depending on the dog. Dogs that are suitable quality to breed from are generally kept by the breeder or sent on to other breeders and show/working homes.

So people that just want a pet get an inferior dog?

Can you really blame them then for looking elsewhere, simply on a value for money rationale?

I'm in no way trying to connect breeders to this whole theft wave that's going on at the moment, nor to backyard breeders, never mind puppy farms ...but ...as long as the so called ethical breeders treat the majority of their customers who just want a pet as

a) a cash cow for their fancy hobby
    b) a handy placement for their not quite so successful produce, away from the show ring

they do have some fault in what's going wrong in the whole dog-ownership misery where dogs aren't regarded for the wonderful creatures that they are but for all sort of other selfish and human-centric reasons.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Can I ask where you heard this information? I didn't hear it in the news.

A Waterford rescue group announced the seizure of the 5 dogs in the NI reg van on their Facebook page, as the dogs are now in their care. A hound (foxhound? Hard to be sure), a beagle, a black lab, a black and tan Cavalier, and a JRT. All entire females, according to their post.
    I didn't hear about the Offaly one though. Would appreciate more info on it though, as it may not be far from home :o

Look up Garda Siochana Laois Offaly...2 dogs stolen together 3 days ago found in a horsebox on a site. Not sure if Laois or Offaly.

Great work by detectives and Gardai and dog warden, the lack of arrests is very telling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

peasant wrote: »
    So people that just want a pet get an inferior dog?

Can you really blame them then for looking elsewhere, simply on a value for money rationale?

I'm in no way trying to connect breeders to this whole theft wave that's going on at the moment, nor to backyard breeders, never mind puppy farms ...but ...as long as the so called ethical breeders treat the majority of their customers who just want a pet as

a) a cash cow for their fancy hobby
    b) a handy placement for their not quite so successful produce, away from the show ring

they do have some fault in what's going wrong in the whole dog-ownership misery where dogs aren't regarded for the wonderful creatures that they are but for all sort of other selfish and human-centric reasons.

Pet quality dogs are not “inferior”. It is more that 2-5% of pups born are superior. Pet quality dogs make up the remaining 95 -98%. My own dog is pet quality. He’s pet quality because he literally has five white hairs in a place he shouldn’t have white hair. It’s considered a mismark therefore he would not place high in shows and should not pass it on via breeding. There is not a thing wrong with him as a pet and 90% plus of pet owners could not tell the difference. I know the mark is there and I struggle to find it. Once again it’s not that pet quality dogs are inferior, it’s that show/breeding quality dogs have to be outstanding examples of their breed in confirmation as well as health.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Pet quality dogs are not “inferior”.

Thanks for your explanation.

I still think that the strife for ever more superiority ( in breeding standards) is a bit silly and counterproductive, but that's a topic for another day and doesn't belong in this thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

You'd want to be some sub human piece of sh1t to rob dogs on people.

Look up Garda Siochana Laois Offaly...2 dogs stolen together 3 days ago found in a horsebox on a site. Not sure if Laois or Offaly.

Great work by detectives and Gardai and dog warden, the lack of arrests is very telling.

I don't get this.. Dogs are property and if you are caught with stolen property on you, you should be arrested, simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shaggymutt

I was just wondering what can we do to prevent theft, I have a beware of the dog sign hanging on the gate, do I take it down and not advertise the dogs. I've also been looking at cctv cameras.
    Any other suggestions to deter thieves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Keeping your dogs indoors when you're not at home and at night is the single biggest deterrent.

An outdoor dog is an easy target. It's as simple as that.

Shaggymutt wrote: »
    I was just wondering what can we do to prevent theft, I have a beware of the dog sign hanging on the gate, do I take it down and not advertise the dogs. I've also been looking at cctv cameras.
    Any other suggestions to deter thieves
    Install sensor lights so anyone prowling in your garden at night will be lit up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,418 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Can anyone ring the guards to report the dogs left while they gone AWOL? They can enter the premises once there is an animal welfare concern.. I couldn't bear to here these animals crying. Interestingly, lots of gates in that area found with the tie wraps or ropes "marking" the houses with pedigree dogs in past week.

Their mother is minding them so the guards can’t do squat.Or so they told us.

fennor72 wrote: »
    I've been looking at a cctv camera, with infa red for the night, and motion detection that will send a notification to the owner if there is movement in a preprogrammed area say at a gate, or wall. I know it won't help if we are not there, but some of these cameras have 2 way audio and an alarm

The dogs will be well gone by then.
    You need something (aswell) to startle and disencourage the scum.

I don’t know if anyone is following the story of Brandy, the 12 year old Springer stolen from his 85 year old owner?

Breaking news! Brandy been found and is on his way home !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Be right back

I don’t know if anyone is following the story of Brandy, the 12 year old Springer stolen from his 85 year old owner?

Breaking news! Brandy been found and is on his way home !

Brilliant news, thanks! Where was he found?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Guys, please note that this is a discussion form not a notice board for lists of unverified, scaremongering posts from Facebook. If people want to see that they can go to Facebook for it but let’s keep this space free from such posts.

Thanks,
    CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

2 batches of stolen dogs recovered today.

You see this is trial by Facebook. The van in Waterford is a registered Type 2 transporter. The dogs weren't stolen, they were being moved for whatever reason but with owners' consent. Yes they were stopped by the Gardai but then released and dogs returned to the transporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

My sister sent me a message an hour ago. She lives in a fairly remote part of Tipperary. She sent me a photo of 2 cable ties tied to her front gate. They were put there last night. She has a beautiful rotweiller and is fairly scared now. Her neighbour called the guards on 2 travellers who were caught snooping around their farm yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Pet quality dogs are not “inferior”. It is more that 2-5% of pups born are superior. Pet quality dogs make up the remaining 95 -98%. My own dog is pet quality. He’s pet quality because he literally has five white hairs in a place he shouldn’t have white hair. It’s considered a mismark therefore he would not place high in shows and should not pass it on via breeding. There is not a thing wrong with him as a pet and 90% plus of pet owners could not tell the difference. I know the mark is there and I struggle to find it. Once again it’s not that pet quality dogs are inferior, it’s that show/breeding quality dogs have to be outstanding examples of their breed in confirmation as well as health.
    I'm sorry but this post annoys me so much. Because your dog has a few hairs that mean it doesn't make show standard means it shouldn't be bred, bull****.

Exacting show standards has lead to the destruction of breeds, German Shepherds that can't stand properly, pugs and it other similar breeds that can't breathe properly, king Charles that's skulls are too small for their brain, the list goes on.
    Holding up show standards as as what to strive for is so wrong.

Yes dogs should only be bred if healthy but to imply 95% of dogs should not be bred because they don't meet idiotic standards is just wrong.

Brilliant news, thanks! Where was he found?

Balkyfermot, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

daheff wrote: »
    With all due respect, most people do not buy from a breeder.

And herein lies the crux of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I can see people through no fault of their own taking the law into their own hands.It wouldn't surprise me to hear that some of those scum have been shot.We haven't heard of one case where an arrest or conviction has been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I can see people through no fault of their own taking the law into their own hands.It wouldn't surprise me to hear that some of those scum have been shot.We haven't heard of one case where an arrest or conviction has been made.

We can't actually state on a public forum what we might do to a person stealing or attempting to steal our companion animal. We just have to be prepared to take all legal measures possible to protect what is currently legally identified as mere 'property'. If we are afraid for our own well-being or that of a human family member, that is a different matter and classed as self-protection of our (human) selves.

The Wexford TD James Browne has proposed a change to the law and should be supported all the way. I'm shocked that no other TDs have come out to bring in animal rights legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Guys, please note that this is a discussion form not a notice board for lists of unverified, scaremongering posts from Facebook. If people want to see that they can go to Facebook for it but let’s keep this space free from such posts.

Thanks,
    CB.

Apologies for sharing the St Annes one - I was kicking myself yesterday evening after sharing it. I had expected the owner to elaborate while I was busy all day.. so hadn't checked in.. even after their explanation today via Dublin Live - it's just some assumption? They didn't see the guy actually doing anything! And now there's a drone added to the mix! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I better watch out after washing BB's lead the other week when his harness went rank from being in the river - apparently a clean lead is suspicious now lol! I'm sure it won't stay clean for long though lol :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Will people stop the rubbish about Cable ties, chalk marking, scratches on concrete.

Its all UTTER BULLSH1T

COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSH1T

Same as the bullsh1t that went around that people in white vans were putting a cloth to people mouth and making them faint instantly or that shoes ona wire says there are drugs for sale in a house, or that chalk marking means the house is about to get robbed (we get a lot of rain here - chalk marking don;t last long.

Really, people need to cop on and stop believing the utter sh1te on social media.

As for those who find cable ties - some people are using it as a macabre way of having "fun" (not funny) and easily lewd people who probably read and believe every bit of crap in tabloid papers esp the daily mail or daily express get worked up.

Yes, there are more dog thefts, but no they are not using cable ties to point out a house. - If you think of it, it would be an extremely stupid thing to do. But some people simply won't think logically

The recent edinburgh story even got to New Zealand
    https://www.aap.com.au/dog-theft-marker-or-myth-what-a-pet-tag-around-a-fence-means/

And the myth has been around for years
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/colored-stickers-target-homes-dog-owners/

Social media and false claims on threads like this spread it - can one person show a VERIFIED GARDA report showing such imbecile unbelievable "markings" were used. - I think not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Be careful who you buy them off too, some will buy them and come back and rob them off you again. Easy to see what type of ppl do that, if you buy off them you are stupid enough to have them robbed off you again. Doesn’t take a genius to know what background they come from.

Advertisement