Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Electrician" wired my house

Options
  • 08-07-2019 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Just bought a new house 4 weeks ago in Cork city and asked an electrician buddy to come over and change a few sockets. In addition to this, we noticed that one of the electric showers was a bit dodgy so we asked him to have a look at the wiring. The motor was fried so he headed into the attic to make the whole thing safe and he cut the cable in the picture out.

Says we're lucky that the house is still standing.

In addition to this, the previous couple moved their oven. So, there's a cooker cable that has been run from the kitchen, through the ceiling, into a bedroom(not tacked in), into the attic, back down through the hot press and back into the kitchen.

Buddy says that it's not exactly safe. We're concerned that there's other stuff wrong that we can't see.

Who can I contact to get a full check done and how much should it cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

whampiri wrote: »
    Just bought a new house 4 weeks ago in Cork city and asked an electrician buddy to come over and change a few sockets. In addition to this, we noticed that one of the electric showers was a bit dodgy so we asked him to have a look at the wiring. The motor was fried so he headed into the attic to make the whole thing safe and he cut the cable in the picture out.

In addition to this, the previous couple moved their oven. So, there's a cooker cable that has been run from the kitchen, through the ceiling, into a bedroom(not tacked in), into the attic, back down through the hot press and back into the kitchen.

Buddy says that it's not exactly safe. We're concerned that there's other stuff wrong that we can't see.

****ing hell that dodgy, I hope he has insurance(electrician) and get it fixed through him

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Unfortunately I think the guy who did it was the previous owner. As my buddy said, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    ****ing hell that dodgy, I hope he has insurance(electrician) and get it fixed through him

lol

Not a hope you'll see that lad again.
    buyer beware

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So do you know for sure the guy who did the dodgy work was <nationality> and if so, is his nationality relevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

What's this got to do with a < nationality > electrician?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tbh an incredibly misleading thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Not sure where the <nationality> part comes in here. Are you assuming or do you actually know the person who did that while the previous owner occupied the place? Even if so, the question is more about if you have good, training people or the other kind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

You're the victim of bad DIY unfortunately, get a couple of registered electricians round to do a quote for an assessment, likely wouldn't be able to quote for a repair until they know whats required.

I know the person who owned the house was < nationality > and have strong reason to believe that he did the job based on equipment found in the shed.

Tbh an incredibly misleading thread title.

+1

This looks like the typical home-owner I-can-do-that-myself-its-just-a-wire 'work' after about 8 Guinness and misplaced reading glasses... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Did you commission any sort of survey of the house prior to purchasing? If so, you'd think from your description that they might have picked up on the issues arising?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Did you commission any sort of survey of the house prior to purchasing? If so, you'd think from your description that they might have picked up on the issues arising?

We got a standard bricks and mortar survey done. It didn't go into the electrics... unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,132 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I know the person who owned the house was <nationality> and have strong reason to believe that he did the job based on equipment found in the shed.

His nationality is still irrelevant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Did you get an electrical certificate with the house when you purchased it? If so go through the person, company who signed the cert.

Standard surveys usually tell you things like 'Rewiring should be considered' or something like that.

Get a few quotes (preferably also from one usually exceptionally well-trained and fast working <nationality> electrician) to really find out what needs to be done...

Did you get an electrical certificate with the house when you purchased it? If so go through the person, company who signed the cert.

No, never heard of one of those. Live and learn I guess.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mod note: As a number of posters have correctly pointed out the nationality of the electrician is irrelevant. On that basis no more mentioning of the nationality will be tolerated.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My understanding is these certs only apply to work carried out by a registered electrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

But you have to get a full rewire if the wiring is to old no electrician would touch my house and it was only built in the mid 1960s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Periodic inspection report will give you a good idea of the state of the electrics. Won't cover everything but it's a good place to start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I'm no electrician but even I went OOOOFF

I wonder if this could be exhibited in an art show... and how this show would then be called :D

'A metamorphosis of Possibilities'

'Wired Extravaganza'

'Fun with Power'

mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Just get a periodic inspection report and go from there. You can't figure this out from an internet forum - that's how I ended up subbed to this forum! Bought a house, rewired by a sparks who never came back and left me nervous. Searched all the forums online and ended up getting a PIR done and he rectified a couple of bits. If you need work done the report will tell you.

Well worth it. Think mine was €400 or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Shop around. you ll get a periodic inspection report done for circa 250. See what comes up on the report and work from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

250 plus vat I got a periodic inspection report done for. That was a 3 bed semi d

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

Yeah sorry, mine was around the 200 mark then a few bits to get fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

kramer1 wrote:
    Periodic inspection report will give you a good idea of the state of the electrics. Won't cover everything but it's a good place to start

Off topic here but I'd love to see insurance companies looking for these every 8 to 10 years for domestic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Not being sarcastic, but would your electrician friend who did bits and bobs, not do other parts of the house that could be dodgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Shop around. you ll get a periodic inspection report done for circa 250.
    Depends greatly on the size and complexity of the installation, and also the level of inspection and testing agreed. As such it's unwise to suggest that periodic inspection and testing will cost A or B - it's much more complex than that.

• Advertisement

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Not being sarcastic, but would your electrician friend who did bits and bobs, not do other parts of the house that could be dodgy?

He'll have a look about no problems. His point is that he'd prefer if we got peace of mind by getting someone with insurance to do it.

Advertisement