Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Electrician" wired my house

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

whampiri wrote: »
    He'll have a look about no problems. His point is that he'd prefer if we got peace of mind by getting someone with insurance to do it.

I’d get him to do the essentials, your house could burn down!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Nikki Sixx wrote:
    I’d get him to do the essentials, your house could burn down!
    A registered electrical contractor would be needed for these works as it sounds like it needs a lot of work and everything should be above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Stoner wrote: »
    A registered electrical contractor would be needed for these works as it sounds like it needs a lot of work and everything should be above board.

It is worth pointing out that inspection and testing, e.g. for a periodic inspection, is in itself Restricted Electrical Works.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It is worth pointing out that inspection and testing, e.g. for a periodic inspection, is in itself Restricted Electrical Works.

Correct, but this only applies to domestic installations.
    The general consensus is that the aim of this rule is to reduce tax evasion (otherwise it would apply to iHe rest of the industry).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »

The general consensus is that the aim of this rule is to reduce tax evasion (otherwise it would apply to iHe rest of the industry).
    I agree that only applies to domestic installations. They are otherwise Controlled Electrical Works. However, it was a domestic installation being discussed here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I agree that only applies to domestic installations. They are otherwise Controlled Electrical Works. However, it was a domestic installation being discussed here.

That’s fair enough.
    I just wanted to highlight that there is no technical reason that a non-registered electrician with the required qualifications and experience could not do this.

I suspect that industrial maintenance electricians may be best suited to this area as they tend to spend more time than most carrying out detailed inspections on more complex systems. As with most things it’s hard to beat experience.

I believe the reason it doesn't apply to industrial is that a company can hire electricians for building/plant maintenance without becoming a REC.

I believe the reason it doesn't apply to industrial is that a company can hire electricians for building/plant maintenance without becoming a REC.

If that is the case why introduce a statutory instrument that prevents the same from being permitted domestic installations?

Let's call a spade a spade, we all know that there has been a long history of domestic rewiring "nixers". This was dealt with to a large extent by the introduction of legislation that makes it an offence for non-registered electricians carry out any electrical work "beyond minor works" to a domestic installation. There was never the same issue with industrial installations, therefore I think it was no coincidence that the legislation does not require those working on industrial installations to be REC's despite the increased complexity and risk.

If that is the case why introduce a statutory instrument that prevents the same from being permitted domestic installations?

By hire I mean staff.
    I am on staff in a factory and not a rec.

By hire I mean staff.
    I am on staff in a factory and not a rec.

....yet you are not permitted to wire a domestic installation.
    Why do you think that is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

....yet you are not permitted to wire a domestic installation.
    Why do you think that is?

Revenue

Bruthal wrote: »

Revenue

That is my belief (see post #39), I want to see what BrownFinger‘s view is.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭EHP

Bruthal wrote: »

Revenue

No doubt the real reason was revenue disguised as being for improving safety. The belief was that domestic work was generally more prone to dodgy work being completed by handymen etc but commercial/industrial was more self regulated even though we all no of areas in these industries that are also completed by handymen etc. Be under no illusion in the next few years the regulations will apply to industrial/commercial works just watch the gas regs they also are only for domestic but will soon be for all areas.

As for the ops issues he legally needs a rec to complete the periodic inspection and probably needed one for the works completed by his buddy already.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Thanks all. Will be getting that cert ASAP.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

whampiri wrote:
    Thanks all. Will be getting that cert ASAP.

Thank you. Sorry that the thread went a bit off topic. Hopefully you got the advice you wanted.

Advertisement